Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so weird, talked to one of the council. Even though people have been posting withdrawing from position, they told me there hasn't been any movement on the list?? :confused:

This must mean that they overaccepted a certain number of students for this cycle knowing that some students are going to drop. Alot of medical schools operate this way unfortunately for those on the waitlist. :(

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard that Western teaches by "systems." I'm sure this question has been asked already, but I can't find it anywhere that the D.O. school teaches that way. I know the pharmacy school does...I hope this is true, because if it is, this literally is my dream school then! :)

Western does teach by systems :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok great, thanks so much! Looks like you are a student there, how do you like it? Do you recommend anything applying there?

Yes, I do recommend applying to Western. If you have any specific questions, ask on here or PM me. Back to studying- last exam of first year is on Monday!

Alright great, thanks! Good luck to you! I'll probably be contacting you in the future regarding questions...:)

Any news about the alternate list or accepted pending space list??

well, 3 weeks ago, I was #6x on the accepted waitlist, when I called them, they said that they'd expect the first 30 on the accepted waitlist to be accepted in 2009, and that things look like the rest on the accepted list after #30 will be accepted for 2010...

well, 3 weeks ago, I was #6x on the accepted waitlist, when I called them, they said that they'd expect the first 30 on the accepted waitlist to be accepted in 2009, and that things look like the rest on the accepted list after #30 will be accepted for 2010...

when did u call them when they told you this? and have u been accepted since then or have u moved on the list since then?

Doesn't this suggest that the regular waitlist can be equated with being rejected?

I'm still hanging in there for the long run...Heck they can call me during orientation and I'll still find a way to be there.

when did u call them when they told you this? and have u been accepted since then or have u moved on the list since then?

now that I think about it, was actually 4 weeks ago that I called, and I'm still on waitlist. The waitlist is by the date they received your deposit, and I was #6X. Don't know if I've moved any on the waitlist, they said they'll call if I make it off the waitlist. But my understanding was that they expect only the first 30 on the list to make it for this year.

for everyone that is currenlty on the waitlist what are your mcats, gpa's, and extra curriculars?

MCAT: 29/33
GPA: Under: 3.3. Grad: 3.2
Extra: Undergrad and grad research, hospital volunteering with leadership positions, EMT-B work.

I just withdrew my seat this morning. I hope one of you gets a call soon!

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I officially withdrew from Western about 5 minutes ago.

Hey, just to clarify because I just received a PM about this.. I was NOT waitlisted.. I was directly accepted about 1 week after my interview in February to attend class this year (2013). I am withdrawing to attend a different school. Thanks

Thanks for opening up another seat.

I am surprised there hasn't been any waitlist movement considering people are giving up there seats here on SDN. I am sure there are others not on SDN who are also giving up their seats...Guess time will tell.

I don't think most of these are posted in here. So for anyone curious, here are the Western match lists from 2000-2008, minus 2004. Enjoy!

Thanks, I have been looking for the 2008 match list. When will the 2009 match list be available?

Any waitlist movement? If you do a search on mdapplicants.com for accepted 2009 Western students it looks like the majority of them have withdrawn due to getting a seat somewhere else...Of course this is only a small sample of the accepted applicant pool but it still makes you wonder why there hasn't been any apparent waitlist movement so far...

(This is called having too much free time:laugh: )

Your list might not be fully accurate. For example, I'm on the guarentted waitlist, but I consider an offer for deferred acceptance to be an acceptance, and thus have my MD Apps listing Western as an acceptance without waitlist.

hey everyone..I am on the accepted waitlist too. I have called Western but they dont give out any information regarding the waitlist acceptances.
Hope that there is a movement in the list soon.
Good Luck everyone.

i too just talked to a councelor around june 25th. for the accepted waitlist crew it does not look good...she said the list has not moved at all...and for just the regular waitlist crew like myself, all i have to say is lets all have a gigantic mass protest infront of the admisntration building for a reinterview...whose down?

i too just talked to a councelor around june 25th. for the accepted waitlist crew it does not look good...she said the list has not moved at all...and for just the regular waitlist crew like myself, all i have to say is lets all have a gigantic mass protest infront of the admisntration building for a reinterview...whose down?

I want to say it is unusual that there hasn't been any movement but at the same time we know that movement didn't really being until the end of july last year (based on the thread last year).

But we just gotta stay positive...

Yes, I am tryin to stay positive. Western is my first choice!! close to home, great program, good reputation.
but I hv another acceptance for this years LECOM class. It starts end of July.
Hope I get to hear something back frm Western before that.

fingers crossed!!

Yes, I am tryin to stay positive. Western is my first choice!! close to home, great program, good reputation.
but I hv another acceptance for this years LECOM class. It starts end of July.
Hope I get to hear something back frm Western before that.

fingers crossed!!

I'm in the same boat..I have an acceptance at AZCOM which begins first week of august...Time will tell!

For those accepted, join the Facebook Group Comp 2013

now that I think about it, was actually 4 weeks ago that I called, and I'm still on waitlist. The waitlist is by the date they received your deposit, and I was #6X. Don't know if I've moved any on the waitlist, they said they'll call if I make it off the waitlist. But my understanding was that they expect only the first 30 on the list to make it for this year.

I'm on the accepted waitlist as well and still haven't heard back from them. Who did you talk to that said that they expect only 30 off the accepted waitlist to make it on? And also do you guys think that they will get movement late in July...or is it pretty much a lost cause now?

I have been accepted into Touro CA for their class of 2013...you guys think I should take that or hold out for Western and join their 2014 class?

I'm on the accepted waitlist as well and still haven't heard back from them. Who did you talk to that said that they expect only 30 off the accepted waitlist to make it on? And also do you guys think that they will get movement late in July...or is it pretty much a lost cause now?

I have been accepted into Touro CA for their class of 2013...you guys think I should take that or hold out for Western and join their 2014 class?
In my opinion, it's better to attend Touro CA this year. Do not waste one
year time unless you are going to apply for MD programs for next year.

@ sithr
did u get any more information regarding the accepted waitlist?
did u decide wht u gonna do?
good luck making the choice..
cuz. for me its just super difficult...wait one year for western or go to LECOM..but gotta make the decision!!
anyone's opinion or feedbck would be appreciated!

@ sithr
cuz. for me its just super difficult...wait one year for western or go to LECOM..but gotta make the decision!!

I'm on the regular waitlist so I don't have much of a choice at this point other than going to AZ...Good luck making a decision.:thumbup:

@ sithr

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been accepted to both Touro CA and DMU, however my top choice is Western and I'm on their accepted waitlist as well...do you know what number you are on the accepted waitlist? I tried calling and emailing them a few times this past week and I still haven't gotten a response about that.

Wow, 3 weeks left till the white coat ceremony and still no movement on the waitlist. Grrr.

heyyy just thought id let people know, there was a little movement i think 2 people left the class...its a start...

if anyone gets accepted last minute and needs a place to stay... I got a sweet place in chino hills, 5bed/3bath with only 3 rooms filled.

Rent is cheap and you'll be with first years who you can commute with to schoo. Its really nice unlike ghetto Pomona and about 10 minute drive from campus.

heyyy just thought id let people know, there was a little movement i think 2 people left the class...its a start...

If they over enrolled, unfortunately the fact that people are leaving doesn't necessarily mean anything moves. Hopefully a phone call tomorrow (or sometime this week) will prove me wrong.

It sounds like I am not alone. I interviewed April 2nd, accepted in mid April and waitlisted in May. They said they overbooked the class and put me at 16th on the list, but reassured me that I would have a spot by mid June. It is July 21st and as of the 17th there was no movement. I have called one or two to many times and think that they are tired of hearing from me. It is suspicious that people left in June but no movement. Every person that leaves means an open spot for someone off the accepted waitlist. Bad admissions department:(
Anyways, I am hoping for the best and planning for the worst. I hope all goes well with everyone else in similar situations.

Attention everyone! I got a call today from the Susan Hanson, the director of admissions, and she said that as of today the first 5 spots are available. Therefore, the waitlist is 5 less deep. Hopefully this is just the tip of the iceberg and it keeps rolling through the numbers.

On another note can some of you give me some info about time between having secondary turned in and getting notification about an interview as well as the date of the interview. I will provide an example.

-Jan 2 waiting for committee invite. Feb 15 notified of interview. April 2 Interview

Thanks and good luck!

Confirmed. I left my cell phone in my car and I just went out to find a missed call from 909 area code and a message asking me to call.

I just emailed my withdrawal letter to Western. Hope one of you gets that spot. COMP's a great school!

Things really got moving because I was offered a spot yesterday and I was 16th on the list! I hope that it didn't stop at 16 and things work out for everyone. Bye

Things really got moving because I was offered a spot yesterday and I was 16th on the list! I hope that it didn't stop at 16 and things work out for everyone. Bye

Wow! I'm applying to Western this application cycle, and after reading through this whole thread I can't imagine having waited an entire year on the wait list... man I think my anxiety just jumped 100% Good luck to those of you still waiting...

Does anyone know how many seats were offered on the accepted wait list? B/c my understanding is that those are seats that aren't going to be open for this years applicants....

Hi!! For all those who got accepted recently congrats!! I'm looking to see if there's any laid back female roommate out there!! gimme an email at [email protected]!!!

Hey if anyone is still looking for a female roommate, please send me a message!

A bit off topic though I feel this is the best spot for this question.

I am planning to do a post-bac or SMP, currently have a 2.9ish GPA. How does Western figure the combined GPA when I finish my post-bac/SMP (if I even get in to one!)? Realistically, this is pretty much my dream school so hopefully I can get an answer! Thanks!

I was hoping to get off the waitlist by the end of the today...Looks like that won't be happening. Anyone get a call in the past two days?

I'm in the same boat as you. I have been accepted to both Touro CA and DMU, however my top choice is Western and I'm on their accepted waitlist as well...do you know what number you are on the accepted waitlist? I tried calling and emailing them a few times this past week and I still haven't gotten a response about that.

did u ever get off the accepted waitlist at Western?

Anyone else still hanging on to final ounce of hope of getting off the alternate list?...:(

Doesn't look good for those of us still on the accepted wait list, but it's not over yet. :xf:

I'm on the normal waitlist and have pretty much given up hope... : (

Well, only 2 moved since last week. I guess I'm in next year's class. Could be worse. A year of basically vacation. At least I will be a doctor sometime in my life. So many who try and don't make it. I'm grateful. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.