Western/COMP Discussion Thread 2008-2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Same here. I will be there on the 5th tho. I received an invite with my secondary. Does that help my chances at all?

I think you still have to complete the secondary, though, before the interview. but once you reach the interview, you are all on an equal playing field. :cool:

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a link to Western's 2008 Match List? I apologize if this has already been discussed!

I just canceled my interview at Western on 2/12 as I have acceptances elsewhere. If anyone needs an interview date opening, you may try calling the admissions office. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes!!! Just got the call.:thumbup: I was holding out hope that this would be one. I will join the facebook group post-haste!

Just some info for future interviewers of this cycle - after my interview today 2/12, I asked the Dean how full the class was, what we should expect, and he said that our group was basically the last to be getting acceptances, and that after this last committee meeting they will be interviewing for the alternate list. From what I was told by the students, a ton of people get in off the alternate list, that it is like high-wait list at other schools, but they do not rank you. So if you get put on the alternate list, it doesn't mean you were not deemed good enough to be "accepted", that's just how they're doing it after next week. Good luck to everyone!

Thanks for the info! Do you know how they are going to review the alternates. In order of interview date? GPA+MCAT?

Just some info for future interviewers of this cycle - after my interview today 2/12, I asked the Dean how full the class was, what we should expect, and he said that our group was basically the last to be getting acceptances, and that after this last committee meeting they will be interviewing for the alternate list. From what I was told by the students, a ton of people get in off the alternate list, that it is like high-wait list at other schools, but they do not rank you. So if you get put on the alternate list, it doesn't mean you were not deemed good enough to be "accepted", that's just how they're doing it after next week. Good luck to everyone!

I didn't ask about the criteria, so I won't make any guesses to mislead - I would recommend someone call and maybe ask about how the alternate list works. I just know that they don't tell you your rank/position on the list, which seems kind of strange to me. I know another school does it by GPA/MCAT (one of the Touros), but Western U could be different.

Thanks for that info.:thumbup: I am already on the alternate list. I have also been told that there is no ranking for the alternate list and that they will begin reviewing the people on the alternate list some time in March.

Members don't see this ad :)
hope we both get in sithr. :cool:.
Thanks for that info.:thumbup: I am already on the alternate list. I have also been told that there is no ranking for the alternate list and that they will begin reviewing the people on the alternate list some time in March.

I just looked over the match list TeamZissou posted. I notice a ton of primary care matches at great locations. However, I only see 1 surgery spot. I know most DO schools focus on primary care, but only one surgery? Is this common for Western?

Thats just great. I am really starting to freak out now since this is the only interview I have gotten (in march). I guess I just have to hope for the best.

Hello.

First time posting on this board.
I applied Western U DO program last November, but due to the mistake I made, my application was released to the school on 02/04.

I have not received my secondaries or interview yet, and I am getting a little anxious and I would like to ask what I can do to appeal my status to the school.

I have three letters of recommendations from DO and MD, which haven't sent out to the school yet. I have called admission office if letters of recommendations are necessary requirements to decide for the secondary applications. Their answer was 'not necessarily.' (meaning, they are not required, but highly recommended, right? :))

I also thought about visiting campus and perhaps meet with admission committee to share that this program is my first choice and somehow introduce myself to them. But I don't know if it's good idea or where to start with this and who is the best person to talk with.

I know there are many people out there who are already got accepted to the program, but I would appreciate very much if you can give me a line or two of advise of what I can do.

Thank you.

It takes them up to 6 weeks to determine whether to give out a secondary - even early in the application process, and you're pretty late in the process. Even if you had amazing MCAT/GPA, essays, recommendations and extra-curriculars, they're interviewing for the alternate list now. If they decided to give you a secondary it would be mid-March, and there might not even be interview slots left - most recent interview times have been in late April...and that is for people who have turned in secondaries weeks ago. Even if it is your top choice, it is the top choice for a lot of people - so that won't make them look at you any closer. I would just get ready to apply next year.

Does anyone know if it is worth it to try to go down to the admissions office and try to talk to someone about my application? (Im pre-interview). I also have a new rec letter and didn't know if it made a difference to take it down to the school or mail it.

Please feel free to PM me..thanks

You should not even have access to your LORs... and even if you do, you should not let anyone else know that. If I were in your position, I would have the writer send the LOR to Western. In the meanwhile, you may be able to call them and give them the heads up that it is coming, as well as re-address your interest in the school. The admissions office is probably only going to have very limited information for you. I don't know that there would be much difference between a phone call and a formal visit--- but then again, I really don't know anything :) Just trying to help you out the best I can is all... best of luck!!!

Anyone doing the ISAC program in June? If so, is there anyone that is interested in or needs a roommate? Let me know... PM me and we can work out the details.

It takes them up to 6 weeks to determine whether to give out a secondary - even early in the application process, and you're pretty late in the process. Even if you had amazing MCAT/GPA, essays, recommendations and extra-curriculars, they're interviewing for the alternate list now. If they decided to give you a secondary it would be mid-March, and there might not even be interview slots left - most recent interview times have been in late April...and that is for people who have turned in secondaries weeks ago. Even if it is your top choice, it is the top choice for a lot of people - so that won't make them look at you any closer. I would just get ready to apply next year.

Is this just speculation? I received an interview invite (pre-secondary) on Jan 13 and my interview date is March 26th. Any hope for getting a straight acceptance at this stage? I am coming all the way from Boston!

I heard about them interviewing for the alternate list directly from the dean of admissions after my interview on the 12th - once they get to this phase instead of direct acceptances they send out alternate list acceptances, which from what I have heard from students is like being on high-wait list at other schools - Western U does not rank the alternate list high-med-low, or tell you your position on the alternate list. I heard tons of people get in off the alternate list, "90%-ish" but that was from the current students so they may be wrong. If it's your top school I would still come out here and interview. Tons of people give up their seat around the beginning of March when the second deposit is due.

Is this just speculation? I received an interview invite (pre-secondary) on Jan 13 and my interview date is March 26th. Any hope for getting a straight acceptance at this stage? I am coming all the way from Boston!

The deposit it due on 3/13. I am guessing that a ton of seats will open up. Good luck!

just received the snail mail acceptance today! i interviewed on 1/29... good luck everyone :thumbup:

Just got my acceptance by mail today, however I've decided not to attend Western. Good luck to the people who are waitlisted, this spot goes to one of you.

Anyone, receive an interview invite before submitting the secondary?

Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone knows the status of the NW Track cohort? My file was complete as of 2/13, and if the rest of these posts are any indication, I think I'll be applying again next year!

Well, I just got my interview invite today. DO schools are showin me the love.

Just wondering if anyone knows the status of the NW Track cohort? My file was complete as of 2/13, and if the rest of these posts are any indication, I think I'll be applying again next year!

When I spoke with Dirk Foley the other week, he said that NWT was nearly full.

Hey I just got my interview invite today, if anyone decides to withdraw from theirs would you please post on here or PM me so I can reschedule sooner. Thanks!

Well, I just got my interview invite today. DO schools are showin me the love.

I'm surprised you haven't seen any MD love with a 3.3 and a 34, congrats on the Western interview!!

looking at the match list: it is pretty awesome that a lot of students matched to a diversity of specialties.

i'm looking forward to my interview on the 12th!

What day are you interviewing?

I'm going to request end of March/beginning of April and see if I can get Touro-CA moved up since I'll be in California. Hopefully I can work something out with UC Davis or USC with an 'in the area' email.

Did anyone who interviewed February 12 hear anything yet?

It's the waitlist for me too...gooduck to all you other waitlisted ppl.

I wonder if they have rejected anyone post-interview? Seems like everyone has been accepted or put on the alternate list..

For those of you waitlisted, I think you will see a lot of movement mid-March. I am 80% certain I will not place my deposit on Western. I'm still trying to sort out what I want for next year and $2,000 is a lot of money!

Last edited:
why do u say that there will be movement mid march? is that when the deposit is due?

For those of you waitlisted, I think you will see a lot of movement mid-March. I am 80% certain I will not place my deposit on Western. I'm still trying to sort out what I want for next year and $2,000 is a lot of money!

I think everyone who has acceptances right now has said they have a deposit due March 15th or so. I know a lot of DO schools have a similar deadline approaching so people will be narrowing their choices down.

i think it will take some time after mid march. at least 2 weeks after that for them to "process" the deposits?
I think everyone who has acceptances right now has said they have a deposit due March 15th or so. I know a lot of DO schools have a similar deadline approaching so people will be narrowing their choices down.

Ya most likely, my guess is that some people will withdraw just before the deposit deadline as well.

They still have people interviewing though, so I dunno how many of the acceptances will go to people waitlisted vs interviewing...

Patience is a virtue, one which I struggle with sometimes ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.