Western/Comp class of 2005

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Sadly the weather in New York is NOT conducive to beach/tanning...it is overcast, hot and humid....my sinuses are going CRAZY!

Lanny...sunscreen is "KEY"..enjoy eh?

Is something telling me to stay home and go do my coloring book??? Hmmmmm....

Here's a question for all of you..all of you not living at The Plaza (Home of the "Re-furbished, un-UPC'd refridgerators")...

How are we feeling about parking stickers? $180/yr?

I spoke with Lanny about this, and got his input...but I think I am gonna get one for this year..and pass on it for next year if it is unecessary...

I just wonder..because at a lot of schools...just because you have a parking sticker..doesn't guarantee you an available spot...

(eg. more cars than spots..at which point..you are **** out of luck, sticker or not)

Any upperclassmen....any ideas or experiences with this??

I'm all ears....well..my ears aren't that big..but they are big enough!

Members don't see this ad.

Yosh- John, as far as parking goes, I have no idea how it will be when regular classes start for most of the Western U. schools. Western U. does own quite a few parking lots around the campus though.. surrounding three sides of the campus at least. As a quick fix, you could just park right outside the Plaza/Park apts. I think, but that might get filled up fast when more students come back to school.. who knows?

One thing that was interesting was that you can park in any lot after 5pm I think.. so if you guys can carpool to class, that will make it much easier (just share a parking permit). If you want to go back to campus later, you can just park anywhere.. thus avoiding to buy an extra parking permit. Of course, this requires some coordination with other people in your area, but no one said it would be easy!!

I might be heading down to the beach today if the cancer rays don't kill me first. Gotta run some errands first. Enjoy your weekend, folks!

Lanny

Hi everyone.....
Good to hear that the ISACers are still breathing. I wish I was there to hang with yas..... Well I just got back from being my brother's maid and I leave for Boot Camp a week from tomorrow. Welcome everyone who just got on the SDN.
Melancholy email me your email address at
[email protected]

Take care everyone... I will be having Lanny keep ya updated on whats happening.... take care ... can't wait to see you all in Aug.

Woooo Hooooo

Tighe

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys! Melancholy- how ya doin? I usually go to school during lunch time cuz I'm working up the street on Garey. I'll be ending the externship at the end of this month. If u wanna meet up during lunch or after 5, that'll be cool. (this goes for any MSones) About playing Starcraft or other cool games, we tend to play DURING lecture and after lecture into the wee hours of the nite...well- until the guards kick us out! we might be playing this monday nite, in our/your classroom. ;)

Another Chino Hills person!!!

NICE!!!!

Hey guys,
Everytime I view this message board I am amazed by how many pages are added! Well I hope the ISACers are hanging in there. I understand you had an exam on Friday. I know your TA's they're real good guys and know their stuff well. In regards to the parking, there's always parking, just make sure you park in a safe area and be aware when you get into your car. I don't always feel entirely secure with the guards... have you seen how old some of those dudes are??

Take it easy,
Eric (another cool Chino/Chino Hills person)

Parking
I know there was an incident last year with soemone in the parking lot....anyone care to comment???

I would be interested to know....

Are we feeling that the parking sticker is a waste of time?????

Is it necessary???

Yosh- someone in our class was held up in the parking lot by some guys in a car, they told him to hand over cash while they pointed a gun at him. I've been told to carry the bare minimum in $$ while at school. Personally, I've never had any probs.
I saw something about raquetball, anyone up for some extremely novice raquetball at LA fitness???

(Hi Eric & Paul!)
:p

back in NY, yosh, i'll give you a ring tomorrow or something. melancholy and i had a chance to chat for a while so that was cool.

i signed up for the permit...about the mugging thing, i guess that's why they got the "golf" patrol...it's a bunch of security guys driving around in golf carts all around campus and parking lots.

tigg-good luck and have fun at boot camp. lucky for me i don't have to go until next summer...wait... :(

peace, yo.
~j

HI all!

I need help. I got my lease info for the computers, but I'm having a hard time signing it and sending it back. I keep thinking that I want my own.

SO
a) do I pay 2000+ now and have my own outdated computer in 4 years or
b) do I pay 500/year and get a different computer each year and own nothing at the end?

I have the money now, but will I want to use it for something else?

Let me know your thoughts PLEASE!!!!

Counting the days until I'm not in the 105+ degree heat.

Steph

Finally moving to Chino Hills this Sat! :D

We found someone to take over the lease for the remaining 2 1/2 months. It's my sister who's going to move into this Downey apt. :D

Just came back from church and what a great weather we're having! Love to hit the beach but have to take care of my daughter and wife. ;)

Stay Cool everyone! :cool:

hey steph, i am having the same problem regarding the computer issue. i thought about it forever and think i will go ahead and get my own, but not spend over $2000 for it... then maybe in a few years get a new one or upgrade, but i didn't think that the computer that western has was THE best... for the $1400 that they offer for that IBM, there are much better/more advances ones... just this last week i saw a compaq 766 (it's a celeron, though) with 128 ram for $899 at frye's electronics--it was their display model---but i think that is much better than the one that western has, isn't it????
i am looking at some compaqs on-line for super good deals, too, but it is so hard to decide!!!!

melancholy, yes, sonal is my roommate, but no, i will not be coming up to chino hills as soon as she will... i have to finish a project at work, which will take me right up to the beginning of august. i wish i was though... it would be nice to get a feel for the area and get to meet everyone before school starts!

Pjoy - are you on the airforce scholarship, if so what month are you planning on going next year? I was supposed to go this summer and lucked out, not going til next year.

Tigg - Good luck

Lanny - I am going to try and stop by the school this thrus. June 28 to say hi and look around can you let me know what you look like, that will help me find you.

I am looking forward to everyone getting together. let me know if anyone is golfing this summer, I am not great but I am always looking for a reason to work on my tan. And by the way am I the oldest person in the class. I am thirty one. I certainly hope not.
until the first party
Dawn

Members don't see this ad :)
usc1992-army...we typically do OBC after our first year in the month of july...i'd actually like to get a network going for all the hpsp-ers at our school and at the PA/Nursing schools if possible. i wonder if they have some sort of school organization.

~j

hi dawn, where exactly in sd do you live/work? i also live in san diego, and would love to meet up with you before school starts... just let me know.... maybe we san diegans can set up a time to meet at the dave and buster's in mission valley for us locals.hehehe!!! :D
of course everyone else can also join us!!!
just let me know when...

Steph,

If you dont already have a computer or labtop, i would go ahead and purchase one on my own. On COMP's plan, you must return it at the end of the year (i believe), so you would be without a computer for the summer. If you purchased a computer, you'd have one to use during the summer.

Also, My brother is a computer programmer for CISCO systems, and he warns about getting a Celeron. It would be well worth it to cough up a few extra bucks and get a P3 or P4. If you purchase a P3, 700 Megahertz or above, and 20Gig hard drive, it would suffice during your four years.

Altough in four years it will be outdated because technology advances constantly, a P3/P4 would still be able to do 95% of the things you need it to do, even as a resident.

So my advice, if you don't have a computer already, purchase it on your own. Good Luck.

USC1992 - I am always up for some golf...just say when.

Another bit of advice when looking for an apartment. Make sure you do not live near the train tracks. The trains come by at odd hours, many between 3-6AM and sound their horns really loud.

Man, I haven't checked the board for like five days and you guys have added tons of posts. This is an awsome little community forming here. I'm hoping to meet some of you Plaza cats soon. I got a place down the street from you all and I'll probably moving up there in a couple of weeks. In the mean time I'm just enjoying San Diego and the sweet sunshine. Life is good right now! Peace.

vv

Last edited:
Hi folks,

miles333- You work across the street.. at the WesternU Clinic perhaps? Well, ISAC class usually gets out around noonish (or maybe even a bit earlier) for lunch time.. so you will see a class of about 27 of us leave the HP building.. wander around, some of us go to Subway and stuff.. then we end up eating anywhere around campus.

Wow.. what lectures are that unimportant that 1) you would attend and 2) play starcraft at? Well, I have already attempted e-mailing and IM'ing folks during lecture so I can imagine that.. playing games seems a bit harder unless you're sitting in the back in a big lecture hall :p.

So Monday night.. in a breakout room or a lecture hall? I'll probably be around Monday night.. either in the breakout rooms or student commons. If you tell me where to look, I'll keep an eye out for you guys. (Eric and Paul also?)

Pyoj- Hey Jay.. it was fun chatting with you. Sorry I had to cut things short.. we should've gone to do something, but my schedule was sorta screwy until Saturday and we ended up not getting back from the beach until nine-ish or so. It was fun though.. we will all go to the beach again with ya!

Slherner- Hey Steph.. at least from ISAC, I feel like getting your own laptop would be worth it in some instances. I agree with what everyone else said here.. I'd go with a P3 or P4 (P3 if you don't want to spend too much).. having your own laptop will allow you to keep lectures/class notes around to study/review for boards during the summertime.. and if you'd like to keep them around in general. The most you will need to do with your laptops is probably powerpoint presentations and study aids I'd think.. so having a P3 will definitely last you a couple of years.. and it should suffice during rotations as well for the most part. (Although if anyone disagrees, they should speak up because I have no clue how much people use their computers after graduation).

Innerpower- hey.. so you're moving in this Saturday? E-mail me at [email protected] and I will give you my phone # in case you would like to hang out for a little while during the weekend. (or maybe go search for a driving range?) We do have a test the Monday after the July 4th week though...

USC1992- Hi Dawn. Around what time of the day will you be around campus? What part of town will you be moving into? We usually have a lunch break from 12-1, then we have lab/discussion anywhere up until 4-4:30pm. As to a physical description of me, it's hard to pick me out in a crowd.. I'm an Asian male around 5'7" or so.. usually wearing a t-shirt, shorts, and teva sandals. If I am coming from anatomy lab, I will be wearing an olive t-shirt, ripped jeans, and nasty white tennis shoes (oh, and smelling like formaldehyde). Hopefully that helps some..

TNT- The train tracks take some getting used to, but I think I have adapted already. It only annoys me when I am talking to someone outside of campus and I can barely hear what we are saying over the train...

--Golf lovers/wannabes - Hopefully I will be able to scout out some courses/driving ranges with a buddy of mine's. Our TA also golfs so I will ask him for some directions. If anyone has done any research on courses already, let us know.. thanks!

It is sad to report that the nearest Del Taco is probably 15 minutes away from my apartment :(. Just thought I'd let you know... since I am hungry, on campus, and about to find something fast to eat. :)

As Dr. Bales (our anatomy professor for the next three days) informed us, "think of every night as the night before the exam." Uh oh...

Oh yeah,
forgot to mention that I did manage to relax this weekend. I rented "Runaway Bride" on Friday night, checked out a Vietnamese restaurant nearby, chatted with Pyoj for about two hours, then went down to Newport Beach with Gemini (since no one else was around!) to get some sun and surf. We need more people to come with us next time! (Anyone moving into the area have a bbq grill? Hehe.. ) :D

WHEW! We made it through our first ISAC exam. Thanks for all the encouragement, Lemon, Yosh, etc. It was a tough one. For me, I felt the lab practical is what killed me. Haven't gotten grades yet though.

Well, I finally got to go the beach, Yosh! I got to swim in the warm Southern Cali waters :) on Saturday. Today (Sunday) it was back to studying since we got new handouts right after our first exam. (Could you believe that?!)

As for laptops, in ISAC we use them to follow powerpoint during lecture and you can download it onto your computer to help you study at home. Also, some powerpoint stuff is not given in handouts so you'll need the laptop for the extra info. The also post special announcements like schedule changes, important dates, etc.

OK, that's it for now!

so how many of us are from san diego? it would be cool to hang out for a bit down here before school starts. our lease at plaza starts on july 10 (2bed/2bath w/2 garages directly below :D)...so i think i will start moving in around then. counting the days till all the "fun" begins...

prit

Hey!

What's up everyone??? I am in Brooklyn, at a friend's apt..and just decided to check in and see what is going on...WOW!!!

Gemini

I am very proud of you and I am sure you did fine on your exam...We have a date for dinner at the same place when I finally make it back down there? I wemt to Coney Island today, and hung out at the beach..tan is in FULL EFFECT....my Sicilian skin is browning nicely...Hey..if I'm unemployed might as well be tan...RIGHT????

Dawn

Glad to see you posting...and just for the record...I am 29...so you are not alone...I am "kinda" up there as well..chronologically speaking...mentally I am ~21-23 range...So you have company....

Lanny

Long time no chat..I'll give ya a buzz thsi week..or you can call me..I dunno what your schedule is like these days...I can't believe you met up with Jay...we have been trying to get outr act together for a while now...I will make a concerted effort this week....

I'll check in later..I want to go home..but rush hour traffic on the Belt Parkway is MURDER!!! I hung out at the Verrazano Bridge last nite...I was at a wedding and they were taking pictures there....We also went down 86th Street in Bensonhurst, where they filmed the opening credits to "Welcome Back Kotter"

For you Non-New Yorkers...a little FYI...that is the infamous bridge from "Saturday Night Fever", where John Travolta's friend in the movie..jumped off and killed himself...

Now that I am leaving New York...I really feel like I am gonna miss it....

Can we say.."Separation Anxiety"???

Till later!!!

Hi folks,
Just writing a short blurb since I should get to bed soon. They finally opened the new library today. Some work still needs to be done on the building.. i.e. electronics/internet access, elevator, but for the most part, the study rooms are ready to go. It is bigger than the old library for sure and has plenty of study rooms for private study groups.

The first floor has the lobby and a few big tables with internet ports for group study I guess.. you can eat there as well. The second and third floors contain various study rooms and the stacks. I believe the fourth floor has some conference rooms and offices. I only had about 15 minutes to walk through it, so I will get more details later.

The thing that sort of peeved us was that they decided to change the summer hours of the HP building for everyone.. so instead of being open until midnight, they were closed at 6 pm. The library doesn't seem like it will be open late for awhile and it currently closes at 9pm.. so afterwards, we had to find somewhere else to study together. Hopefully, they will find a solution because the summer hour changes were somewhat abrupt and even the security guards didn't get much warning. I can understand their desire to save energy by not keeping the HP building open until midnight, but peeking inside, I noticed the lights were all still on at 9pm. I guess there are other factors involved besides saving energy/money regarding the changes.

Anyway, I don't have lecture until 10 AM (instead of at 9) so hopefully I can work up a sweat at the Y tomorrow morning. Later folks.

Lanny

Lanny

What's up with the L.A. Fitness memberships? Are they not going to be in effect until the beginning of real "August" school?

I noticed that you mentioned going to the "Y", and was just curious....

Lanny,
I found out about the buliding hours last night when I tried to stop by. That sucks... don't they know that the ISACs have school right now? Do they have the same policy about the anatomy lab? If so, you should talk to Dr. Lenz's office and see what they could do about the building hours. You're going to find out that the school is going to try to do things that youre class might not agree with. But if your class does enough campaigning to get something done, it's possible. For instance, the whole computer fiasco, our IT rep, Paul, and our class for that matter did a whole lot of complaining and a lot of class meetings. We were able to remove the policy that made it mandatory to lease the computers they gave us. So if your class is passionate enough about something, it will be possible to get it done.

-Eric

Hi guys and gals..
I'm just in class right now.. already picked up some bad habits :p.

Yosh- Actually, they mentioned they would end up getting our LA Fitness memberships this week I think.. but you never know until they actually hand it over to us.

Eric714- Thanks for the advice. If I knew where Dean Lenz's office was, I would probably attempt to talk to him. We'll see how it goes the next few days.. I'm sure someone will stir things up. I guess you guys couldn't play in the HP building then, huh? heh..

One thing you can do is buy your computer at Best Buy...then get there extended three year warranty. Then everytime something better comes out you can tell them your computer has bugs and you want to exchenge it for an equal or better model...then just pay the difference.

Their policy is to not ask questions and they will let you upgrade or get the sam but imporved model...your choiuce.

One of my friends in med school always has the latest electronic gadgets because he bought alll his stuff at best buy!!!
Originally posted by slehrner:
•HI all!

I need help. I got my lease info for the computers, but I'm having a hard time signing it and sending it back. I keep thinking that I want my own.

SO
a) do I pay 2000+ now and have my own outdated computer in 4 years or
b) do I pay 500/year and get a different computer each year and own nothing at the end?

I have the money now, but will I want to use it for something else?

Let me know your thoughts PLEASE!!!!

Counting the days until I'm not in the 105+ degree heat.

Steph•

haha you'll be running to Best Buy every two months if you plan to keep up with the latest :D i ordered my laptop from dell yesterday...can't wait to surf the net while in lecture (there will ALWAYS be time to mess around even if it is our first year).

prit

If anyone feels that buying an expensive laptop will make any difference in the quality of your first year at COMP, then you are extremely uninformed. I say lease the $500 IBM. It is more then adequate and you can exchange it on your lunch hour if you have problems.

Thank you everyone for the advice about leasing/buying a laptop. After looking at all my options, I decided to purchase my own.

I did not buy the laptop to greatly improve my fist year, but to give me the freedom and options to do what I please with the computer. Plus I tend to take better care of my own property since I spent my hard earned money on it. I will know I had to work hard to pay for it. (That is not to say I would trash a leased computer!)

Hope everyone is well and the ISACers brains have not exploded as of yet.
Steph

Lanny,
Dr. Lenz is in the COMP office which is upstairs above the student lounge. You take a right after the stairs and walk through the double doors. The office will be to your left... it's called something like COMP admin office. Also, he usually eats lunch outside on one of the park tables. He's got this hunched over back, goatee, and slicked back hair.

hope this helps!
Eric

Eric714- Yeah, I recently figured out where the admin and staff offices were in the HPC. John (jb023) and I decided to consult Dr. Younoszai as Dean Lenz's previous advice from his lecture was to use the "chain of command". After listing a couple valid reasons to Dr. Younoszai, he said he would see what they could do about the summer hours. I think he was taken aback that he wasn't even informed about the summer hour changes, especially since he is running the ISAC course. Hopefully, we will be able to recover some study area on campus for the evenings and have an area that will allow BlackBoard access to download lecture notes from the Western U. server.

Anyway, it's time to hit the sheets and hopefully wake up at 7-ish to do some studying/exercising. The weather has cooled down the last two days to our delight. A few of us might try to find a place to run/jog around the Claremont Colleges... one of us has to prepare for boot camp.. heh heh.

melancholy,

If Dr. Y isn't able to help you out, the person you should go to is Gisele Tackoor, who is the head of Student Affairs. She is also in the admin building, next to Dr. Lenz's office. Actually, she is the person you should go to first regarding this kind or any kind of student-related issues.

And the chain of command thing....very important to follow. Something that I personally (and my class) found out through experience.

Arnold
WESTERN U/COMP CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

Arnold
Just wanted to say thank you for following up with us...and leading us on the right path...learning for others mistakes will save EVERYONE from a lot of headache in the long run.

I do have a quick question...about internet access off campus...do we have to get our own does the school have a dial-up ISP?

I have been toying with the idea of getting a DSL..but I am not sure that I will need it.
As far as school related...do we need to access the internet from home or can we just get the stuff and download it to our hard drives while at school?

I would save your money and not get DSL or any kind of high speed service. Off campus I use Netzero and if I need to download huge files (like Powerpoint lectures, study aids, etc.) then I just take a 10 minute drive to campus and use theirs.

Hope that helps,

Arnold
WESTERN UNIVERSITY/COMP CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

oh, while I'm at it, I should post up the chain of command to follow. Very, very important to do it this way. If not, they won't listen and they'll be pissed off.

starting from the bottom, going up the ranks:

Academics:

1. Professor teaching the course
2. Course Coordinator
3. Head of Academics: Dr. Kiick

Administration/Student Affairs:

1. Head of Student Affairs: Gisele Tackoor
2. Dean: Dr. Lenz
3. Vice-President: Dr. Charney
4. President: Dr. Pumerantz

Again, whomever you elect to be your class leaders (which I am willing to bet anything will be people from ISAC for the first semester) need to follow this chain of command. Not adhering to this policy will lead to GRAVE consequences..... :)

Arnold
WESTERN UNIVERSITY/COMP CLASS OF 2004 http://www.do2004.com

Just wanted to say I quick thank you for the "advice"...it is much appreciated!!

Thanks Again!!

One more "quick" question"

Since I am moving to L.A. from NY...and will be there for the 1st two years...and then rotations...

When we are on our rotations...what are our living arrangements? I know it seems like a stupid question...but it is legitimate..

I need to buy a bed when I get out there...but to spend $600-$700 on a bed that will be used for two years seems crazy...what do people do?

WOW i'm gone 1 week to DC and there is like 10 more pages added to the thread. its all good except the fact that everytime someone puts in a message i get a notification in my email. and at the rate u all are posting, my email box is crazy full. i went to the my profile but cant seem to find out where i can get this to stop

so who else has bought cpu's and what kind

sonal whats up, happy to see you have joined our group.

Anyone has experience installing a wooden floor?

I'm moving back to my townhouse this Sat and need to redo the living room floor.

vdubpower

Click on "my profile"
Click on "View/Update Profile"
Scroll all the way down
You'll see "Your Preference"
The last question is Be notified by email when someone sends you a private message?
Choose "NO"
Click on "View/Update Profile" on the bottom of the screen.

Hope that somewhat helps!!!

hey Arnold remember me? as Yosh already said I also wanted to shout a thanks to you. it is really cool to have someone that knows what we are likely to face as MSI's and it is even better that you are taking the time to give us advice...many thanx

innerpower...we had light colored oak wood put in our house a few months back...its a really really LONG process even if the pros do it. but it really looks nice. but there is no way i could do that on my own.

going off-topic a bit more...anyone see Fast and Furious? just came back from it an hour ago. i only saw one car identical to mine...sad :( but at least it was in there.

someone asked about laptops...i ordered a very fancy system from dell and i really hope that i can take some time to use it for a little fun. actually if anyone has any ideas for a website for our class it would be a good idea to get some info. together. i will be able to hook up a mini-dv camcorder to the laptop and make vids...so maybe we can put clips of activities on the site. that and some fun gaming on the side :D

finally a big HELLO to everyone...so where is everyone in SD!? email me and we can meet up b4 school!

prit

If I could redirect our attention to the top of this page...my question remains unanswered....bed/rotations..

I booked my ONE-WAY ticket to Ontario...for

JULY 10..arriving at 9:30am.....

California here I come!!!!

Forewarned is Fore-armed

hey yosh- i don't know if this is gonna help or not, but i had a friend you graduated from comp a couple years ago, and for his third year he stayed in that area and lived at the same place, but moved back to san diego to do his fourth year rotations down here... so i guess, as for your question about the bed- you will probably be able to use it your thirda nd fourth years also.... is this what you were asking--or am i totally off right now? :D

Hey Arnold,
good advice putting down the chain of command. I was curious about that. I guess I just wonder about concerns that don't involve just one class such as the changing of summer hours (which would affect any students that want to use school facilities later in the evening). If I don't hear from Dr. Younoszai by the end of the week, I think we will pay Giselle Tackoor a visit. One of my classmates suggested getting signatures from the entire ISAC class to show we have some support. Even if nothing comes of this, I just hope they will try and take more into consideration when they make such sudden changes that professors and security guards are caught off-guard.

Unfortunately, I am deep into a "development of the heart" lecture right now and I can see quite a few of us struggling to stay alert.. heh.

Gonna get warmer this weekend! Looking forward to watching "Tomb Raider" before it gets old and perhaps even go to the beach again or do some hiking nearby. (Can't think about the weekend too much.. it is only Thursday!)

SAPP Question

These damn coloring books....I am averaging about 2 pages/hour...this coloring is tedious..and I am wondering how far along everyone else is....I thing I have done like 7 pages...max....and seem to have a lot lot more....

Is there some easy way of doing this that I am apparently oblivious to?

Any "constructive" ideas are welcome....

Back to the rotation thing....do they put us up, or are we finding our own places to stay?
That was my question....I am not sure what the housing situation is like during our 3rd/4th years...

Thanks...

DAMN THESE FREAKEN TRAINS!!!!!!

Why didn't someone warn me about trains, I would have seriously reconsidered COMP.

I can't sleep becuase between 4-6AM they come every five minutes and honk thier really loud horns. Do they know people are sleepig!!!

OK, now that I vented...

Melancholy...Don't watch Tomb Raider, too much hype. It wasn't that good. Wait for video.