WCVM or UCVM C/O 2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got my official UCVM email! So glad it's not a mistake! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Escalla, I am new to SDN. Sfter reading how tight of a "family" you all are and how you help eachother out, I just knew this kind of support would help me. I was wondering how many times you applied to UCVM? And if there is anything you did differently this year in your interview? I have applied a lot and each year I do everything within my capabilities to improve: I have gone back to school and upgraded to get a 4.0 in one of my worst courses, I have phenomenal mentors who always back me up each year and never doubt my capabilities, I have taken communication courses at MRU, U of C, Dale Carnegie and MMI practice sessions with a private company aimed at helping medical students. On top of that I worked with small animals, large animals, in veterinary offices and in team lead roles. I have been a part of many volunteer opportunities as well, some involved with UCVM and some with private businesses. Maybe there is just something I am overlooking and I reach out each year to see what I can improve on. Any recommendations?

Hi Mez! Welcome!!!! SDN definitely has been like a mini pre-vet family for me. You get to know those that check in regularly and we all are great at supporting each other through this stressful process. I've received some great advice from current students on here that I know made a difference for me and I want to pay that forward and help anyone as much as I can.

This was my second time applying to UCVM and there were a few things that I did differently. I bought this book last year on Braki's recommendation and it does a great job of breaking down a lot if different ethical scenarios (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/0813803993/ref=redir_mdp_mobile). Rollin also publishes ethical commentary in the CVMA Journal that you can look up on the internet. Last year I had poured over all if the cases but when I was faced with the interview, I became so stressed and nervous that I had a hard time communicating my thoughts at each station. This year, I studied a bit differently. I grouped the cases into different groups (research ethics, convenience euth, financial problems, inadequate husbandry, whistleblower, etc.) and made general notes on each type and important points that need to be considered. This really helped me adapt to all sorts of questions that they throw at you. Then shuffling some cases and giving yourself the allotted time to answer. I first talked to myself in the mirror and then had my dad listen. He had no idea what I was talking about, but just having the pressure of someone listening was good practice.

I also attended MMI days at the U of A. You had said that you went to some prep as well, which is great. They set up a mock MMI for us to go through and gave us feedback on our performance and score sheets to go home with. They let non-U of A students/graduates attend which is great. I think it was $30.

Finally, what I felt was the biggest difference was simply saying to myself "this isn't a big deal, you're just here to chat". Having next to no nerves and a clear head gave me every advantage in the world. That I believe is most important.

Of course you're probably familiar with the general trend of the essays, so reading up on that always helps as well.

I hope that helped! Please feel free to PM me anytime. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So... anyone need a roommate? hhaha

I actually know two people who are potentially looking; one just got into tech school and the other just finished her first year of vet med. If you're interested, let me know and I can get you contact information.

I actually know two people who are potentially looking; one just got into tech school and the other just finished her first year of vet med. If you're interested, let me know and I can get you contact information.

Thanks anyways, but I actually found a house full of interesting seeming people a block from the school! haha.. oh moving across the country to live with strangers :D

This was my second time applying to UCVM and there were a few things that I did differently. I bought this book last year on Braki's recommendation and it does a great job of breaking down a lot if different ethical scenarios (http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/0813803993/ref=redir_mdp_mobile). Rollin also publishes ethical commentary in the CVMA Journal that you can look up on the internet.

I will say, that although I did find that book very helpful as a prevet, Rollin is not a vet and over the years I have learned that some of the opinions he has published have been... very controversial from a vet's point of view. Take his opinions with a grain of salt.

I will say, that although I did find that book very helpful as a prevet, Rollin is not a vet and over the years I have learned that some of the opinions he has published have been... very controversial from a vet's point of view. Take his opinions with a grain of salt.

Good to know. :thumbup: I know he only has a PhD, but it is a great intro to breaking down different types of scenarios. I think the biggest thing is teaching you how to analyze the situation.

I literally signed up for SDN the day that WCVM and UCVM called, I wish I had known it existed before! Congrats to everyone who got in to either school! I'll be happy to meet a few of you at WCVM this August.

For those of you who didn't get in this year, I hope it doesn't discourage you from reapplying.

Congrats! Yeah, this forum has been so helpful in the journey to being accepted to vet school - everyone here is going through the same stress and panic as you, and you get the understanding that others outside of the process can't quite give. Also, instead of it being a place where everyone's your competitor, it's like you really all want to see each other succeed.

See you in August!

Hi, I just found out I am on the wait list for UCVM today, but was given no information on what my ranking is or how many people are on the wait list. Does anyone have any information on how many people get in off the wait list for UCVM?

Hi, I just found out I am on the wait list for UCVM today, but was given no information on what my ranking is or how many people are on the wait list. Does anyone have any information on how many people get in off the wait list for UCVM?

I wish I knew. :( If it's the same as WCVM, probably around 5. I guess it depends on who got accepted to WCVM as well (or another school) and decided to go there instead of UCVM.

You should be able to call and find out what placement you are. At least that's how WCVM was. I did hear last year of a few UCVM wait-list survivors. Hope you're one of them! :luck:

Haha! I had the same feeling last year, thinking that the phone conversation was just a dream I had!

Glad I'm not alone! I'm walking around the office with a grin plastered on my face. Some of my co-workers are trying to get me to do some crap work because they figure I'm in such a good mood that I won't have a problem doing it...:laugh:

UCVM is giving people until June 30th to accept/decline. I don't think AVC has notified Canadians yet, so that may be why they're setting the deadline so late. I dunno about OVC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Glad I'm not alone! I'm walking around the office with a grin plastered on my face. Some of my co-workers are trying to get me to do some crap work because they figure I'm in such a good mood that I won't have a problem doing it...:laugh:

UCVM is giving people until June 30th to accept/decline. I don't think AVC has notified Canadians yet, so that may be why they're setting the deadline so late. I dunno about OVC.

you wouldn't think that UCVM would purposely wait for AVC/OVC to get confirmation... you'd think they'd want to get their students

I know that at least 2 spots will be opening up for UCVM, so fingers crossed that you get one of them!!

You would think. WCVM appears to be doing that. :laugh:

how so?? wcvm required that we confirm today?

*edit: ooooh you mean it appears WCVM is trying to have a short deadline to get students to commit haha

congrats on getting in everyone! for those on the waitlist, don't lose hope!

is there a way for Canadians who don't live in the atlantic provinces to apply to AVC (and OVC)? could we possible apply as international students through the VMCAS?

congrats on getting in everyone! for those on the waitlist, don't lose hope!

is there a way for Canadians who don't live in the atlantic provinces to apply to AVC (and OVC)? could we possible apply as international students through the VMCAS?

You do have to gain residency by living there without going to school in order to apply as a Canadian. I honestly don't know about applying as an international student....I don't think I personally would though, based on cost alone. $55k/yr for international student tuition at AVC. I believe OVC is around the same.

Has anyone received any info packages yet? I want to get started on buying stuff.....:D

I shouldn't be buying stuff. But I really want to!

Nothing for me, yet. WCVM is sending them out early July, I think. Kind of regretting leaving my coveralls at the dairy farm I worked at. And my rubber boots... damn. :laugh:

Hi everyone! I just found this site; I think I'm a little late. I wish I knew about this before interviews.

Anyways, I will be going to UCVM in September and I'm excited to meet all of my classmates!

Congrats to everyone who got in, best of luck to those still waiting, and don't give up to those who didn't get in this round!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I just found this site; I think I'm a little late. I wish I knew about this before interviews.

Anyways, I will be going to UCVM in September and I'm excited to meet all of my classmates!

Congrats to everyone who got in, best of luck to those still waiting, and don't give up to those who didn't get in this round!

Yayyyy! :D Hi future classmate!!!

Are you currently in Calgary or will be moving here?

I've been living in Vancouver for about 5 years (doing my undergrad at UBC), but my dad has always lived in Calgary, so I'll be moving back home for my first year haha! Never too old for home cooked meals.

Edit: And what about you, Escalla?

Also, I feel like we should think about starting a Facebook group! (unless there's one already and I just can't find it or am not invited :( )

Last edited:
I've been living in Vancouver for about 5 years (doing my undergrad at UBC), but my dad has always lived in Calgary, so I'll be moving back home for my first year haha! Never too old for home cooked meals.

Edit: And what about you, Escalla?

Also, I feel like we should think about starting a Facebook group! (unless there's one already and I just can't find it or am not invited :( )

Cool!!!! Can't beat home cooking! :D

Living here currently. Looking for a condo up north though so the commute isn't so bad every day.

I haven't been able to find a FB group either...:( I'm trying to be patient as the class probably hasn't been fully determined yet.

Last edited:
What sort of things are there to buy?? besides textbooks of course...

What sort of things are there to buy?? besides textbooks of course...

The normal fun stuff - pens, highlighters, sticky notes, etc.

I creeped the c/o 2016 welcome PDF on the Internet for UCVM and we'll likely need steel-toes as well.

I really want to buy a tablet.....though it may not be needed. I just want one....:oops:

If you plan to do large animal stuff it's probably a good idea to have steel-toed boots. Many of my classmates just have normal rubber boots. Also a dissection kit for anatomy. For WCVM you need a laptop for histology. Their slides are digitalized. You guys are kind of lucky in that regard - my class needed to buy microscopes.

If you plan to do large animal stuff it's probably a good idea to have steel-toed boots. Many of my classmates just have normal rubber boots. Also a dissection kit for anatomy. For WCVM you need a laptop for histology. Their slides are digitalized. You guys are kind of lucky in that regard - my class needed to buy microscopes.

I think they had the laptop requirements online, but if you have a Mac, you can use that. I think those students got a windows platform, somehow, and used the Olivia program through that. Just to let you know you don't need to buy a new one if you are a Mac user.

You'll need rubber boots and coveralls for all the production animal handling labs in first year as well.

If you're going for large animal, try to find coveralls with short sleeves, or those snap off sleeves.

I think they had the laptop requirements online, but if you have a Mac, you can use that. I think those students got a windows platform, somehow, and used the Olivia program through that. Just to let you know you don't need to buy a new one if you are a Mac user.

Whew, I was just about to ask. I have a macbook air, hopefully there is a way to make it work with that or I will lose my mind haha, it's brand new.

Whew, I was just about to ask. I have a macbook air, hopefully there is a way to make it work with that or I will lose my mind haha, it's brand new.

Me too! Only I got mine last year, but I was hoping to continue using it!!!

I've noticed on the website they have up the 2012-2013 academic schedule, does anyone know if they have one for this upcoming year? Or does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is this year?

Ya, the tech guy helped out students with macs during the first week. They had a little tutorial session I believe. So it should work!

I've noticed on the website they have up the 2012-2013 academic schedule, does anyone know if they have one for this upcoming year? Or does anyone know when the white coat ceremony is this year?

They probably haven't finalized it yet. I imagine Paige or someone in admin will email with an update on that.

All I know is we start school earlier this year, on the 19th.

:eek: So many Macs.....

I'm useless with them. I have to stay Windows. Windows 8 is pretty fun though. :)

They probably haven't finalized it yet. I imagine Paige or someone in admin will email with an update on that.

All I know is we start school earlier this year, on the 19th.

I saw that as well! Whyy so early this year?! totally odd!

Haha, give them some time, it's only June! They barely have your class roster. They usually have the schedule out fairly far in advance. It doesn't matter a whole lot though; as first years, you will spend almost all of your lecture time in one room (2115). Also at some point you will have a brutal exam schedule consisting of midterms once or twice a week for months.

I believe this year classes start on the 19th because they need the week to fit in all the lectures. My class doesn't start until the 26th.

I believe this year classes start on the 19th because they need the week to fit in all the lectures. My class doesn't start until the 26th.

I heard rumours that though we start school earlier, winter break is longer this year than last year. No idea if that is true but I sure hope so!

I heard rumours that though we start school earlier, winter break is longer this year than last year. No idea if that is true but I sure hope so!

That would be sweet... I'm in a bit of a crummy situation until the schedule goes up. My friends are getting married in Cuba and we've been arranging the trip since early last year. I've already paid a deposit (because I had no idea what this year would hold for me). Now I'm not sure if I'll be able to go because of school, but missing out on Cuba would be a major bummer :thumbdown:

Haha, me 3.

Oh crap. Just had a look at the requirements for the microscopy laptop & the MacBook Air won't work! It doesn't hook up to an ethernet cable. Um, now what? New laptop just for histology?!

Oh crap. Just had a look at the requirements for the microscopy laptop & the MacBook Air won't work! It doesn't hook up to an ethernet cable. Um, now what? New laptop just for histology?!

I had this panic too! But my boyfriend happily informed me that you can get a USB ethernet cable that connects :D

The vet I work for has just gifted me a bunch of vet textbooks! Attn Second/Third years: Might any of these books still be worth keeping for classes?

Pasquini, Spergeon & Pasquini Anatomy of Domestic Animals 8th edition
murphy gibbs horzinek & studdert Veterinary Virology third edition
Hand Zicker & Novotny Small animal clinicial nutrition quick consult
Hand Thatcher Remillard Roudebush small animal clinical nutrition
Hill's atlas of veterinary clinical anatomy

Thanks!!

I had this panic too! But my boyfriend happily informed me that you can get a USB ethernet cable that connects :D

The vet I work for has just gifted me a bunch of vet textbooks! Attn Second/Third years: Might any of these books still be worth keeping for classes?

Pasquini, Spergeon & Pasquini Anatomy of Domestic Animals 8th edition
murphy gibbs horzinek & studdert Veterinary Virology third edition
Hand Zicker & Novotny Small animal clinicial nutrition quick consult
Hand Thatcher Remillard Roudebush small animal clinical nutrition
Hill's atlas of veterinary clinical anatomy

Thanks!!

Awesome! I had a mini heart attack. Will definitely look into this! What does he say about getting windows to work on it?

Also, with our "welcome" letters, they listed course "sections" that we are in. do they split us up??

Also, with our "welcome" letters, they listed course "sections" that we are in. do they split us up??

I believe so - some labs from last year's schedule had 1/2 the class on one day and the other 1/2 on another day.