Wayne State vs Kentucky

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joshto

Nervous&Neurotic
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently accepted off the Wayne State wait-list, and I need to decide between these two schools. Any help is much appreciated. I am not particularly interested in research. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Wish I could help you with this one.. I'm currently on waitlists at both of these schools, and they are both amazing schools!

Members don't see this ad :)
I was recently accepted off the Wayne State wait-list, and I need to decide between these two schools. Any help is much appreciated. I am not particularly interested in research. Thanks.

I don't know much about either school, but I'm going to ask you some questions that should help you in the process.

Which state are you a resident of? (I ask because KY OOS tuition is 50+ while MI OOS tuition is 60+, unless one school gave you great financial aid--or unless KY allows you to become a resident after one year--financially, you should go with your in-state school).

In terms of location, Lexington and Detroit sound equally horrible, so let's look at this another way: do you want to be close/far from your family, and do you want to live in a new city/part of the country?

Are you interested in a joint degree? You said you aren't interested in research, but are you interested in an MPH or MBA? If so, does either institution offer the degree you want?

What grading systems do these schools use?

Did you get a better 'feel' at one of the schools?

In terms of location, Lexington and Detroit sound equally horrible...

Really? Is this armchair judgment? Anyway, just wanted to point out something that makes no sense for those that have visited both cities. Lexington is one of the more picturesque places in the US and the warmer weather (compared to Detroit) doesn't hurt either.

Good advice otherwise.

Really? Is this armchair judgment? Anyway, just wanted to point out something that makes no sense for those that have visited both cities. Lexington is one of the more picturesque places in the US and the warmer weather (compared to Detroit) doesn't hurt either.

Good advice otherwise.

Don't pretend that Detroit is Chicago, and don't pretend that Lexington is Nashville.

I thought Lexington was very nice. Not particularly large, but quaint: horse capital of the world; one of the most educated cities in the country. Don't want to move the topic of the thread, though. Still looking for comparisons of UK to Wayne.

Don't pretend that Detroit is Chicago, and don't pretend that Lexington is Nashville.

OP -> sorry for the off topic but this will be my last post here.

Brach: Not sure what you're talking about but Detroit is certainly (obviously) no Chicago. In fact, I was separating Lexington as being more livable (and more beautiful) than Detroit.

OP, if all else is equal Lexington trumps Detroit in my opinion.

I don't know anything about Kentucky because I did not apply there, but I just wanted to jump in and suggest that students not judge the city of Detroit based on 20-30 year old stereotypes that the whole place is the ghetto where you're going to get shot on every corner or something. Simply not true.

I interviewed and was accepted at both schools, and amongst the two I def like UK more. It was my top choice before I got into BU.I felt it was a school that really took care of it's students and this could probably be due to class size as well. They have a mission to rank among the top 20 schools by 2020 (I don't know how possible this would be) and I felt they were really trying towards that. They did have a good level of technology incorporated, and I was also impressed by the hospitals. Location wise, I thought Lexington was cute and homey. I also looked into rent there and it was very affordable. It seemed like a safe community as well.

The things that threw me off about Wayne State were the huge class size, the extremely high OOS tuition, and Detroit. I also remember being told that many of the rotations happen outside of Detroit in either the suburbs or rural areas of Michigan. On the other hand, Wayne has alot more affiliated hospitals so the clinical experience may be more diverse?

All in all, I would probably pick UK over Wayne, but that's just me :)

Status
Not open for further replies.