Wayne State Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WSUWarrior012

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am currently a wayne state pre-pharmacy student who is in the process this year of filling out my application as well as taking the PCAT. For anyone here that applied to or is now a current wayne state pharmacy student, would you mind sharing your stats? I just want to get an idea of how the stats looked for applicants who applied to wayne state. I have not taken the PCAT yet, but am registered to take that in early September. My undergrad gpa is an overall 3.76 right now with about a 3.65 math and science gpa. I've heard that Wayne State primarily looks at your academic stats and not too much of extracurricular. I am going to starts volunteering next Friday for my local hospital and I am a member of the Arab American Pharmacy Association (AAPA), in case anyone wanted to know my extracurricular activities. Can anyone give me some insight on what PCAT percentile I should aim for (Obviously am aiming for highest possible), how much extracurricular they had when they got accepted, GPA when they got excepted, etc.?

Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I am currently a wayne state pre-pharmacy student who is in the process this year of filling out my application as well as taking the PCAT. For anyone here that applied to or is now a current wayne state pharmacy student, would you mind sharing your stats? I just want to get an idea of how the stats looked for applicants who applied to wayne state. I have not taken the PCAT yet, but am registered to take that in early September. My undergrad gpa is an overall 3.76 right now with about a 3.65 math and science gpa. I've heard that Wayne State primarily looks at your academic stats and not too much of extracurricular. I am going to starts volunteering next Friday for my local hospital and I am a member of the Arab American Pharmacy Association (AAPA), in case anyone wanted to know my extracurricular activities. Can anyone give me some insight on what PCAT percentile I should aim for (Obviously am aiming for highest possible), how much extracurricular they had when they got accepted, GPA when they got excepted, etc.?

Thank You

Also if this helps, here are the grades I received in the major math and science courses:

Biology:
Basic Life Mechanisms: B+
Microbiology: A
Human Anatomy and Physiology: Currently taking
Human Physiology: taking next semester

Chemistry:
General Chemistry 1: A-
General Chemistry 1 Lab: A
Organic Chemistry 1: A-
Organic Chemistry 1 Lab: A
Organic Chemistry 2 with lab: taking next semester

Math:
Algebra with trigonometry: A
Pre-calculus: A-
Calculus 1: A-
*Finished with math; Do not need to take Calc 2

Hello, I went to the informational meeting. The average PCAT and gpa was 80% and 3.6. I registered to take the PCAT in july. Also, my stats are..
Basic comp A
Gen chem 1 A
Sociology A
A&P A
Speech A
Political science A-
Bio 100 -A
Overall GPA is 3.91
Currently taking
Basic comp 2
Intro to rock

Also, they have a formula that they use. 30% is based on GPA, 30% is based on the PCAT, 35% is based on the interview. The last 5% is EC.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello, I went to the informational meeting. The average PCAT and gpa was 80% and 3.6. I registered to take the PCAT in july. Also, my stats are..
Basic comp A
Gen chem 1 A
Sociology A
A&P A
Speech A
Political science A-
Bio 100 -A
Overall GPA is 3.91
Currently taking
Basic comp 2
Intro to rock

Also, they have a formula that they use. 30% is based on GPA, 30% is based on the PCAT, 35% is based on the interview. The last 5% is EC.
Yeah I have heard about that formula. I was actually surprised that majority of it actually comes from the interview process! I was thinking to myself that maybe shadowing a few pharmacists would be sufficient enough for the extracurricular portion but I am not 100% sure.

Yeah I have heard about that formula. I was actually surprised that majority of it actually comes from the interview process! I was thinking to myself that maybe shadowing a few pharmacists would be sufficient enough for the extracurricular portion but I am not 100% sure.
I am guessing as long as you did something related to research/health care you would get the 5%. I was expecting the interview to count for 20% or less. Anyways, good luck!

Basic comp A
Gen chem 1 A
Sociology A
A&P A
Speech A
Political science A-
Bio 100 -A
Overall GPA is 3.91
Currently taking
Basic comp 2
Intro to rock

Actually the formula is 35% prerequisite GPA, 35% PCAT, 25% interview and 5% Extracurricular (not required).
The minimum requirements (although not competitive) are 3.0+ overall and prerequisite GPA, and 50+ on the PCAT. (50+ Chem, Bio, and QA; 25+ RC and VA).

What are my chances like of getting in here? My GPA through 4 years is an A- (3.7?), and my PCAT composite was 91st percentile

What are my chances like of getting in here? My GPA through 4 years is an A- (3.7?), and my PCAT composite was 91st percentile
Your PCAT score is competitive (the average is 82 %ile). What's your prerequisite GPA? That's the GPA that matters most to them.

Your PCAT score is competitive (the average is 82 %ile). What's your prerequisite GPA? That's the GPA that matters most to them.

3.31, and I still havent taken 2 courses (the communication class and the BIO 3200)

So what are the different GPAs that they look at? I know they have PharmCAS GPA and pre-requisite GPA, but do they also look at your science and math GPA as well?

Did you guys complete a two year program before applying to wayne state or have a bachelors?

I'm currently trying to finish with pre reqs at a comm college and plan on applying afterwards
Well for wayne state majority of your math and science courses have to be taken at wayne itself. But no bachelors is required so I'm gonna be applying without one.

Does anyone know when they will begin the interview process? I heard they begin before the application deadline. :shrug:

I think Tamra mentioned they don't really look at applicants until late september/early october

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Tamra mentioned they don't really look at applicants until late september/early october
That is true. I contacted her and she emailed me saying "We will not start reviewing applications until early October".

surely you are talking about a different average. 50th percentile is the definition of average.
maybe the average of people who apply or get in?

surely you are talking about a different average. 50th percentile is the definition of average.
maybe the average of people who apply or get in?
That's the average for last years pharmacy applicants admitted at Wayne State.

She showed me a whole list of people who got it with their PCATs and GPAs. They accepted a large range of people, one guy even got in with a 50 but his GPA was high. So I guess there is a chance at any level as long as you prove to be a well rounded person.

She showed me a whole list of people who got it with their PCATs and GPAs. They accepted a large range of people, one guy even got in with a 50 but his GPA was high. So I guess there is a chance at any level as long as you prove to be a well rounded person.
what was the highest PCAT scores you saw?

I wonder if anyone with 90s can get rejected if the rest of his application is mediocre.
I would hope not. I have about a 3.68 pharmCAS GPA with a 90 on the PCAT so hopefully I can get in.

Hopefully having my 91st percentile PCAT will balance out having a slightly lower cGPA of 3.43.

PharmCas still hasn't calculated my GPA, but I calculated my prerequisite GPA to be a 3.7 and my preliminary (unofficial) PCAT score is 94. How much different does the official PCAT score usually turn out to be?

PharmCas still hasn't calculated my GPA, but I calculated my prerequisite GPA to be a 3.7 and my preliminary (unofficial) PCAT score is 94. How much different does the official PCAT score usually turn out to be?
Mine turned out to be the exact same.

When I applied last year I had a 4.0 with a bachelor's in biology and a 4.0 in my master's degree. I got a 85% on the pcat and got in. Maybe I got in bc I have a master's? BUT i think your scores are competitive. I got offered interview to every top pharmacy school in the country and chose wayne bc they are the best pharmacy school in the country. Good luck my friends

When I applied last year I had a 4.0 with a bachelor's in biology and a 4.0 in my master's degree. I got a 85% on the pcat and got in. Maybe I got in bc I have a master's? BUT i think your scores are competitive. I got offered interview to every top pharmacy school in the country and chose wayne bc they are the best pharmacy school in the country. Good luck my friends
I like undergrad at wayne. What made you choose wayne specifically?

For the November 3rd deadline, does the pharmcas need to be e-submitted or does it have to be verified by then?

Has anyone heard from Wayne yet? I have an interview at Michigan in a few weeks, so Im surprised Wayne hasnt started theirs yet

They start reviewing applications early to mid October.

My application just got received by Wayne today. My GPA was verified a few days ago. So now here is my final stats:

Overall GPA: 3.77
Science GPA: 3.70
Math GPA: 3.56
PCAT: 90th percentile (99th in chem, 88th in quantitative, 79th in bio, 43 on verbal, 36 on RC, 4.0 on writing)

I have almost the exact same stats as you (3.72 GPA on my school's transcript) and 91st percentile PCAT (99 Bio, 88 Chem, 77 Quantitative, 86 Quantitative, 52 Verbal). Hopefully we both get in (although Michigan is my first choice right now)

I have very similar stats too. 3.72 prerequisite GPA and 94th percentile PCAT (97 Bio, 97 Chem, 96 Quantitative, 68 Verbal, 45 Reading). Wayne State is my first choice.

Wayne is the only school i'm applying to so I hope they take me. Good luck to both of you as well!

Good luck to you too! How come you wouldn't apply to other schools as well?

Good luck to you too! How come you wouldn't apply to other schools as well?
Well because I don't wanna go out of state and U of M requires a bachelors degree which I don't have. Ferris state is a 3 year program but I would prefer a 4 year program.

Well because I don't wanna go out of state and U of M requires a bachelors degree which I don't have. Ferris state is a 3 year program but I would prefer a 4 year program.
U of M doesn't require a degree, but a large portion of their students have one.

Reactions: 1 user
U of M doesn't require a degree, but a large portion of their students have one.
Ohh yeah my mistake. But I did see somewhere that like 95% of the people admitted had a bachelors. So for the 5% who didn't they probably had to have like a 4.0 GPA and a mid to high-90th percentile PCAT with lots of experience.

Ferris stopped their 3 year program back in 2009.
My app just got verified!
PCAT: 79
GPA: 3.88

Has anyone received an interview invite? I got an email confirming that they received my app and they would start interviewing in late October!!

Has anyone received an interview invite? I got an email confirming that they received my app and they would start interviewing in late October!!
I got my interview invite today. I got the choice between October 28th and Novermber 10th. Unfortunately, I have to go with November 10th because I have a human physiology exam on the 28th and the time of it conflicts with both interview times. I really hope that choosing the later interview date won't have much of a negative impact.

Reactions: 1 users
I got my interview invite today. I got the choice between October 28th and Novermber 10th. Unfortunately, I have to go with November 10th because I have a human physiology exam on the 28th and the time of it conflicts with both interview times. I really hope that choosing the later interview date won't have much of a negative impact.
i got my interview invite this morning! i am going with the oct 28. it shouldnt e a big deal specially with your stats.

I was hoping to get one :(. Submitted my app a while ago. They got it way back at the beginning of September. I just wanted to hear back early, especially with the rolling admissions

I was hoping to get one :(. Submitted my app a while ago. They got it way back at the beginning of September. I just wanted to hear back early, especially with the rolling admissions
Just be patient you should definitely get one. You have great stats so don't be bummed out you'll for sure get one for the next interview cycle.

Last edited:
3.7 GPA (on the transcript I sent from my school), and 91st PCAT
Your stats are like identical to mine for the most part (3.77 GPA, 90 PCAT) so I am confused why you didn't get one for this cycle. But I assure you with those stats you will for sure get an interview invite.