Want to get into an FM residency...WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Am applying to 250 programs and doing research on program websites to apply to those programs that take multiple board failures/ no cut off scores/ look at whole person, etc.
Also doing 5 audition rotations. Please let me know if you think of any other ways for me to make myself more competitive. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Am applying to 250 programs and doing research on program websites to apply to those programs that take multiple board failures/ no cut off scores/ look at whole person, etc.
Also doing 5 audition rotations. Please let me know if you think of any other ways for me to make myself more competitive. Thank you!
ERAS gives you the option for a permanent and mailing address. Choose them based on where you have connections/addresses. This is a way to “unlock” regions

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
WAMC for FM?

Going to be 4th year soon. Doing my last rotation next month as an elective for 3rd year.
Complex1: 51x
Complex2: Taking end of July.
Rotations: 4P and 2HP, no H.
Pass all classes, avg student with A's and B's except 2nd year last semester some pass no grades due to covid.
Research: co-author, published and presented.
No red flag except I was on LOA for a month because of some family issues and that's why making up my last rotation in June.
Applied for away rotations thru VSAS, haven't heard anything yet.
Are away important if I want to get in CA residency even though I know it's very competitive?
How many programs should I apply for residency?

Last edited:
WAMC if only applying to 5 local programs? (2 of those aren't really local though so might only apply to 3.)

Switching out of Pathology after PGY-1. I'm in good standing and have done well. 4 pubs during residency.

Step 1 237
Step 2 250
Step 3 235

I miss seeing patients. Was involved in FM group during med school, but thought I wanted to do research for a career and ended up in Path.

Would leaving my path program while I apply to the match improve my chances by maintaining 3 years of funding?

Last edited:
WAMC if only applying to 5 local programs? (2 of those aren't really local though so might only apply to 3.)

Switching out of Pathology after PGY-1. I'm in good standing and have done well. 4 pubs during residency.

Step 1 237
Step 2 250
Step 3 235

I miss seeing patients. Was involved in FM group during med school, but thought I wanted to do research for a career and ended up in Path.

Would leaving my path program while I apply to the match improve my chances by maintaining 3 years of funding?
What region are you in? That matters a great deal

Hello and greetings to all.
I am a Non-US IMG from Syria, planning to apply to Family Medicine.
I will graduate in Dec 2021 and will spend 2022 doing externships/observerships in FM.
Here are my stats:
Step 1: 248
Step 2: 250
OET: Passed
by September 2022, I will probably have around 4-6 USCE with 3-4 FM LORs.
WAMC? I have been discouraged to apply into FM Because i have been told that its way less IMG friendly than IM.. but I love FM.. I don't want IM..

Hello and greetings to all.
I am a Non-US IMG from Syria, planning to apply to Family Medicine.
I will graduate in Dec 2021 and will spend 2022 doing externships/observerships in FM.
Here are my stats:
Step 1: 248
Step 2: 250
OET: Passed
by September 2022, I will probably have around 4-6 USCE with 3-4 FM LORs.
WAMC? I have been discouraged to apply into FM Because i have been told that its way less IMG friendly than IM.. but I love FM.. I don't want IM..
Both FM and IM are IMG friendly, but I think IM is more IMG friendly than FM. Anyway, you will be competitive for both.

4th year DO student here.
Pass all classes, avg student with A's and B's except 2nd year last semester some pass no grades due to covid.
No red flag except I was on LOA for a month because of some family issues.
Are away important if I want to get in CA residency even though I know it's very competitive?

Bump

You are good for FM. Apply to ~35 programs

Members don't see this ad :)
Copied from earlier to get more info:

"Switching out of Pathology after PGY-2. I'm in good standing and have done well. 4 pubs during residency.

Step 1 237
Step 2 250
Step 3 235"

How many programs should I be applying to if I want to match?

Copied from earlier to get more info:

"Switching out of Pathology after PGY-2. I'm in good standing and have done well. 4 pubs during residency.

Step 1 237
Step 2 250
Step 3 235"

How many programs should I be applying to if I want to match?
~30

Low-tier carib school grad. 221/224/CS first attempt. What are my chances in IM and FM?

Low-tier carib school grad. 221/224/CS first attempt. What are my chances in IM and FM?
Chances are not great. You should apply to 350+ programs (250+ FM and 100+ IM).

Alright, I will do that. Any reason why I don't have high chances? Just curious
Steps are on the lower side, and competition are getting stiff(er) from what I have noticed in the past 2 yrs. For instance, when I started residency in 2018, my program (low tier university internal medicine) had >30% FMG/IMG, but in the past two residency matches, they have only taken one FMG out of 50 residents total.

As I said, you can maximize your chances if you apply early and broadly, but it is not a sure thing right now coming from a low tier Caribbean program. I think having step 3 might have helped for FM, but it's kind of too late right now.

I think your chances to match into an FM program is >50%, but you have to play your cards right.

Don't try to save money now by not applying broadly after spending 250k+ to get that medical degree.

By the way, when I said chances are not great, I was talking from a US student perspective. If you were a US student, your chances would have been > 95%.

Last edited:
4th year DO who needs a visa (J1 or H1B)
Level 1: 52X
Step 1: 21x (above 215)
Level 2: 53x
Step 2: waiting for results

Some random research + posters, 1 pub, and community service. President of a club. Hope to match on the West Coast. How many programs should I apply to?

Last edited:
Chances are not great. You should apply to 350+ programs (250+ FM and 100+ IM).

I will leave this here. Make of it what you will. I am sure you will stick to your guns though.

Despite that I still intend to apply to 75-150 programs in FM.
I under performed step 1 and have an abysmal score coming from an Australian medical school but asides from that have what I think is a solid application just one poor score.

I think I've got a good one for you guys.

US MD
Step 1: 243
Step 2: 257
Honors x5
High Pass x2
No research/publications
Nominated for AOA (should find out later this week)
Solid work/volunteer experiences.

Here's the kicker: I'm couples matching with OB. They are planning on applying to ~70 programs, primarily west coast. Both of us want to match on the west coast but would go east if that means staying together. Both have received verbal commitments from home program (I know this isn't anything to depend on but we both have very good reputations in our home institution) but are leaning towards wanting to train away from home.

I was advised to apply to around 100 programs (!!!), with increased ratios (about 2FM:1OB) in places like LA, SD, SF, PDX, SEA which are ideal west coast locations for us. Ratio in less desirable east coast locations is 1FM:1OB. Is it crazy to apply to triple digits with my stats?

If it matters she is competitive for OB, good stats, GHHS, and great CV/research/extracurriculars.

Nervous US-MD student here. WAMC?

MD student
5 year student
- Failed first semester of M1 year, academic LOA for the rest of the academic year, repeated/restarted M1 at the start of the next academic year, no fails since
Step 1: 195 =/
Step 2: 233
Clerkship grades a mix of Pass and High Passes
Two research projects, one was the Medical Student Summer Research program which I presented at my schools research fair, 2nd project was an offshoot of the first project
Some volunteer experiences

Will I need to apply to 200+ programs? Super worried about not matching.

Nervous US-MD student here. WAMC?

MD student
5 year student
- Failed first semester of M1 year, academic LOA for the rest of the academic year, repeated/restarted M1 at the start of the next academic year, no fails since
Step 1: 195 =/
Step 2: 233
Clerkship grades a mix of Pass and High Passes
Two research projects, one was the Medical Student Summer Research program which I presented at my schools research fair, 2nd project was an offshoot of the first project
Some volunteer experiences

Will I need to apply to 200+ programs? Super worried about not matching.
You should definitely match if you apply to 200+ programs

You should definitely match if you apply to 200+ programs

Thank you for your reply! Do you think applying to that many would be absolutely necessary for someone in my position?

Thank you for your reply! Do you think applying to that many would be absolutely necessary for someone in my position?
Not really. I think you will be ok with ~125 as a US student.

US IMG from Big 5 Caribbean
Step 1: 211
Step 2: 235
Honors x3
High Pass x2
No research/publications
4+ work/volunteer experiences.

Applying for 235 FM programs. You guys think I should apply to a few IM backups?

US IMG from Big 5 Caribbean
Step 1: 211
Step 2: 235
Honors x3
High Pass x2
No research/publications
4+ work/volunteer experiences.

Applying for 235 FM programs. You guys think I should apply to a few IM backups?
Another 50 community IM programs, 50 no big name pathology, and 50 surgery prelim. It's getting crazy out there for IMG. When I matched 3 years ago, my class had 60/40, but now there is ZERO IMG where I trained.

Another 50 community IM programs, 50 no big name pathology, and 50 surgery prelim. It's getting crazy out there for IMG. When I matched 3 years ago, my class had 60/40, but now there is ZERO IMG where I trained.

Are you serious!?

I mean I appreciate your anecdote.

But the data is evidence to the contrary. That is that applying to that many more programs = greater chance of matching. At least not a significant amount.

Applying to the many programs actually does more harm than good to the individual and everyone else going through the cycle.

Not to mention 235 FM + 50 IM + 50 Path + 50 surg prelim = 385 programs

385 x 26 dollar application fee to each program = 10010 dollars.

Fully cognizant of the old adage a penny wise a dollar foolish and how one might think it applicable in this situation. But I don think it is.

Maybe this is what the powers that be want on a side note anyone ever consider the money involved in this?

The revenue generated from the licensing process and application cycle?

51000 applicants last year. I think the average number of US MD applications was 70 and IMG was 120. Lets just do the napkin math. Say it was 100 = 2600 dollars in application fees X 51000. That is a 132 million dollars generated through the eras 2021. That is not including board cost. Lets assume everyone did at least step 1 and both parts of step 2. Let us assume 1000 dollars for each board. That is another 153 million dollars. Where not including cost of medical education. Third party resources and all that

Its borderline criminal if you ask me.

But to come full circle: 385 programs? Don't you think the poster would be better suited applying to programs he really had a chance at.

@Med201821

Are you a US student? If you are, the landscape is completely different for you than IMG/FMG.

As US students , we are given a lot of leeway in this process. For IMG/FMG it is sink or swim. OP scores are not great. In order to maximize his/her chances, OP has to apply to the least competitive specialties and to as many programs as possible.

The whole medical thing in the US is an organized scam. I have been saying it for years in SDN. Based on my humbling limited experience as a new attending, that whole thing can be done in 7+ yrs (2 yrs prereqs, 3 yrs med school and 2-6 yrs residency).

Last edited:
@Med201821

Are you a US student? If you are, the landscape is completely different for you than IMG/FMG.

As US students , we are given a lot of leeway in this process. For IMG/FMG it is sink or swim. OP scores are not great. In order to maximize his/her chances, OP has to apply to the least competitive specialties and to as many programs as possible.

The whole medical thing in the US is an organized scam. I have been saying it for years in SDN. Based on my humbling limited experience as a new attending, that whole thing can be done in 7+ yrs (2 yrs prereqs, 3 yrs med school and 2-6 yrs residency).
Hey Splenda.

I am an IMG 10 weeks out from graduation. Australia here if that matters.

There is a wealth of data out there to show how applying to more programs does not necessarily correlate to an improved match rate.

There more literature on this but I cannot be bothered to source it at the moment.

It is a scam. It is disgusting. Being educated in a system that is largely funded by the government really highlights the differences. Each medical position is 80 % funded by the government. It is also structured in such a way that there are "bonded" positions. Meaning some of the last offers to candidates are made under contract that upon graduation you will dedicate X number of years to under served areas of medicine. Mainly rural areas. There are no obscene costs for board examinations. That is until you are on a training program and need to take a specialty board examination. Which can range in the thousands. But at that point you've likely been making 6 figures for several years. But I imagine it will soon follow the American model as most programs have shifted from the MBBS to the MD.

Hey Splenda.

I am an IMG 10 weeks out from graduation. Australia here if that matters.

There is a wealth of data out there to show how applying to more programs does not necessarily correlate to an improved match rate.

There more literature on this but I cannot be bothered to source it at the moment.

It is a scam. It is disgusting. Being educated in a system that is largely funded by the government really highlights the differences. Each medical position is 80 % funded by the government. It is also structured in such a way that there are "bonded" positions. Meaning some of the last offers to candidates are made under contract that upon graduation you will dedicate X number of years to under served areas of medicine. Mainly rural areas. There are no obscene costs for board examinations. That is until you are on a training program and need to take a specialty board examination. Which can range in the thousands. But at that point you've likely been making 6 figures for several years. But I imagine it will soon follow the American model as most programs have shifted from the MBBS to the MD.
It seems like that research applies to US seniors. I would like to see literature re: IMG/FMG.

4th year DO who needs a visa (J1 or H1B)
Level 1: 52X
Step 1: 21x (above 215)
Level 2: 53x
Step 2: waiting for results

Some random research + posters, 1 pub, and community service. President of a club. Hope to match on the West Coast. How many programs should I apply to?

Bump. Update with Step 2 score of 229. It's not great but it's an improvement from Step 1. I have 50 programs on my saved list. Should I be adding more?

Bump. Update with Step 2 score of 229. It's not great but it's an improvement from Step 1. I have 50 programs on my saved list. Should I be adding more?
You will match into a good program with these stats. Apply to 40-45 places. I am more conservative than most after seeing what a few classmates went thru when they had to SOAP.

It seems like that research applies to US seniors. I would like to see literature re: IMG/FMG.
Look it up then. Its out there. I've looked at it before. Like I said I am not gonna go hunting for it now.

You want to know how to match.

Read this:

And apply to the appropriate programs. Just like University and med school. Apply to programs that are a reach for you. Programs that you are competitive for and programs that are a safety.

If you have poor boards you need to make your application strong in other ways. Its not insurmountable.

Look it up then. Its out there. I've looked at it before. Like I said I am not gonna go hunting for it now.

You want to know how to match.

Read this:

And apply to the appropriate programs. Just like University and med school. Apply to programs that are a reach for you. Programs that you are competitive for and programs that are a safety.

If you have poor boards you need to make your application strong in other ways. Its not insurmountable.
Another IMG ready to see his/her friend in the SDN scramble/SOAP “thread of tears” in a few months. If I were you, I’d be sure you understand how to interpret articles because your life depends on it. Splenda88 doesn’t need to research…you and your classmates are the ones with so much to lose here. You better be confident in your research.

Reactions: 1 users
As a US MD graduate with 2 successful years in another specialty, how similar can I expect my results to be compared to the match data for 4th years?

Another IMG ready to see his/her friend in the SDN scramble/SOAP “thread of tears” in a few months. If I were you, I’d be sure you understand how to interpret articles because your life depends on it. Splenda88 doesn’t need to research…you and your classmates are the ones with so much to lose here. You better be confident in your research.

Just a tad patronising and bit condescending.

Maybe relax with the conclusions your jumping to.

Maybe Splenda88 need to do some research if they think advocating for 300+ applications at a cost of 10+ grand is efficacious in regards to increasing ones chance at matching as an IMG. There is such a thing diminishing returns. Perpetuating this mentality only does a disservice to those seeking a post graduate training position. I would argue that it hurts the programs as well. Who wins? Well the recipients of all those dollars thats who.

If someone has the money and want to rank 300 + programs by all means more power to you.

For the record.
E>W
I can hear sweat trickling down your cheek
Your heartbeat sound like Sasquatch feet

Just a tad patronising and bit condescending.

Maybe relax with the conclusions your jumping to.

Maybe Splenda88 need to do some research if they think advocating for 300+ applications at a cost of 10+ grand is efficacious in regards to increasing ones chance at matching as an IMG. There is such a thing diminishing returns. Perpetuating this mentality only does a disservice to those seeking a post graduate training position. I would argue that it hurts the programs as well. Who wins? Well the recipients of all those dollars thats who.

If someone has the money and want to rank 300 + programs by all means more power to you.

For the record.
E>W
I can hear sweat trickling down your cheek
Your heartbeat sound like Sasquatch feet
Not here to make you feel bubbly. Here to give people advice based on my own personal experience and experience of a huge network of people I have mentored for the past 15 or so years.

When the next batch of IMGs who fail to match enter the Scramble/SOAP thread…will you recommend that they interview to fewer programs next time…cause you know, the law of diminishing returns and things like principle? I’m sure that thread is full of people who regret that they applied to too many programs.

Comlex1: Pass 5xx
Comlex2: Pass 4xx
Rotations: 4P and 2HP, 2 H.
Applied to 55 programs, CA, NV, WA, OR & CO

I hope I will get in somewhere.

I hope you all have lots of II and best of luck to all for match.

Hello!

M3 here looking to take a preliminary dive into FM and IM programs, competitiveness, etc. Looking for a program that will train me well for either a career in outpatient primary care or Heme/Onc (I know this is only available if I match IM). Would prefer a program with heavier ambulatory training as that is likely the kind of setting I'll strive to work in long-term. As such, I'm likely going to be dual-applying IM with some FM programs, since I'm not 100% sold on Heme/Onc. If I go for FM, I think I would prefer full-scope, broad training. Would prefer to stay Midwest, but I lived on the East Coast for a few years and loved it and also love the PNW so also prioritizing those.

Med School: Unranked Midwest USMD
M1-M2 Grades: 2nd or 3rd quartile, basically dead average
M3 Grades:
Honored Surgery, OB, FM
High-Passed Psych/Neuro
Peds and IM are TBD
Step 1: 230-235
Step 2: TBD
AOA: very unlikely (maybe senior AOA if i honor med and peds)
GHHS: possible
Research: A few activities, will likely have a 4th-author pub and 1-2 posters by ERAS season. Not my strong suit, but the research is very primary care-relevant.
Extracurriculars: Distinction program in global/public health, lots of leadership positions, lots of relevant work experience prior to med school
Volunteering: Very solid

If I can get some good letters of recc, how realistic would it be for me to match to strong FM programs such as UMich, Swedish First Hill, BU, etc.? Thanks in advance for any insight!

Not that great but I hope I will match somewhere as beggars can't be choosers.
Beggar?

Come on mate. Hardly.

Beggar in my opinion is someone who went to some barely heard of school in the Carrib. Transferred to another school because of poor grades. Somehow scraped by and managed to meet requirements to participate in the match. May or may not have multiple board attempts. May or may not have taken longer than four years to complete degree. Thats a beggar.

Anyways. Congratulations for making in through this slog of a journey. I hope May 15th is a glorious day for you.

Hello!

M3 here looking to take a preliminary dive into FM and IM programs, competitiveness, etc. Looking for a program that will train me well for either a career in outpatient primary care or Heme/Onc (I know this is only available if I match IM). Would prefer a program with heavier ambulatory training as that is likely the kind of setting I'll strive to work in long-term. As such, I'm likely going to be dual-applying IM with some FM programs, since I'm not 100% sold on Heme/Onc. If I go for FM, I think I would prefer full-scope, broad training. Would prefer to stay Midwest, but I lived on the East Coast for a few years and loved it and also love the PNW so also prioritizing those.

Med School: Unranked Midwest USMD
M1-M2 Grades: 2nd or 3rd quartile, basically dead average
M3 Grades:
Honored Surgery, OB, FM
High-Passed Psych/Neuro
Peds and IM are TBD
Step 1: 230-235
Step 2: TBD
AOA: very unlikely (maybe senior AOA if i honor med and peds)
GHHS: possible
Research: A few activities, will likely have a 4th-author pub and 1-2 posters by ERAS season. Not my strong suit, but the research is very primary care-relevant.
Extracurriculars: Distinction program in global/public health, lots of leadership positions, lots of relevant work experience prior to med school
Volunteering: Very solid

If I can get some good letters of recc, how realistic would it be for me to match to strong FM programs such as UMich, Swedish First Hill, BU, etc.? Thanks in advance for any insight!
On paper, you are fine for most FM programs. One big thing that's important to FM programs per the PD survey is a demonstrated commitment to FM, so I'd be sure you have some FM specific things on your EC list (FMIG, some FM conferences, etc) and have a good narrative in your personal statement of how you came to the specialty. A whiff of someone who's applying to FM as a backup can really hurt you - some things I've seen include LORs that don't specifically say the applicant is going for FM (or in some cases, explicitly mentions another specialty...), no FM activities on the CV, no FM letters, etc.

To clarify - you said you are interested in an outpatient-focused career but also that you want "full-scope, broad training" which to me means strong training in inpatient, obstetrics, more advanced office procedures like colpo or vasectomy, etc. so that you could potentially do those things in practice. Generally (although I'm not specifically familiar with the programs you listed) big university medical centers are not the place that have this kind of training for their FM residents - they typically will prepare you better for outpatient practice in a specialist-rich environment and academia. Just something you may want to think about in terms of selecting programs to apply to in the context of your career goals.

Reactions: 1 users
Is it common that programs send email that they have concluded all the interviews and give the future date for zoom if anyone have any question? I received couple email from the programs where I interviewed. Do they send this to all the candidates who got interviews?
Another question if someone know, one of PD mentioned that they received 1000 applications for 6 spots, does someone know out of 1000 applicants how many do they interview? 100 or 200? How do they decide to rank 1-6 spots?

Is it common that programs send email that they have concluded all the interviews and give the future date for zoom if anyone have any question? I received couple email from the programs where I interviewed. Do they send this to all the candidates who got interviews?
Another question if someone know, one of PD mentioned that they received 1000 applications for 6 spots, does someone know out of 1000 applicants how many do they interview? 100 or 200? How do they decide to rank 1-6 spots?
Those emails sound pretty standard and nonspecific, even if they were sent specifically to you I wouldn't read anything into them or change your rank list based on the results.

The second question - probably program dependent. A more competitive program will probably interview less people than a less competitive one, just because if candidates are more interested in a particular program they are more likely to rank them highly and then programs need to rank less people to fill. My program is on the more competitive end of the spectrum and we interviewed 8-9 people per spot this year.

How they decide to rank - also very program dependent.

Thank you for the help and support. I matched!!!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
4th year DO applying for FM, looking to see WAMC. kinda nervous
  • Level 1: 47X
  • Level 2: 46X
  • no step 1 or 2.
  • 3H, 4HP and 2P in 3rd year rotations
  • 4th quartile (pretty much dead last in my class)
  • no failures/repeat and no other red flags/LOA
I have 3 LOR (1 peds, 2 FM) and 2 pending FM letters (one of them is an APD at a program i did a sub-i at). i feel like my LORs will be generic. i'm applying to all community programs in cali, wa, nv, az, ohio, ny, nj, pa and ky. it's probably going to be around 100+ apps.

any other advice would be greatly appreciated! thanks!