Want to get into an FM residency...WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smq123

John William Waterhouse
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If you would like to ask about your chances of getting into a family medicine residency, please post in this sticky here!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is 7 interviews with 240 step1 and 230 step 2 and can all first attempt with no extra curriculars and us img non white and unsure of how they are doing in interviews have a chance at matching?

Is 7 interviews with 240 step1 and 230 step 2 and can all first attempt with no extra curriculars and us img non white and unsure of how they are doing in interviews have a chance at matching?

If you're referring to race, than that's despicable. Even if you are joking.

I wouldn't rank you with that kind of attitude/demeanor.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you're referring to race, than that's despicable. Even if you are joking.

I wouldn't rank you with that kind of attitude/demeanor.

If you don't think demographics play a role in matching you are very naive.

Reactions: 8 users
Some help assessing my competitiveness for the Chicago-area FM programs? Specifically, want to apply to middle tier programs like Advocate IL Masonic, MacNeal, Lutheran, West Sub, Northwestern, etc.
USMG
Step 1: 225
Had to remediate year 2
Haven't taken step 2cs or CK yet, just trying to assess how competitive these programs are for someone with gaps in their medical education.

Low tier US MD

215-220 step1

Mostly HP in clerkships so far

Red flag: Took some time off before taking step1 due to family issues

Should I apply to 75+ FM programs?

No. 40 might be the limit in my opinion. Are you only going for FM?
I am applying to about 75 IM as well ... I go to a low tier MD and I have no research background. I will also take step2 in late October. That's why I am applying to so many programs.

Last edited:
I am applying to IM as well. 100 IM and 75+ FM... I go to a low tier MD and I have no research background. I will also take step2 in late October. That's why I am to so many programs.
How much time did you take off for Step 1?

Things must have changed dramatically since I matched in 2010. My med school record was not pretty at all, ranked 8 programs (applied to 9, interviewed at all 8 that offered) matched at my #2. Literally my only 2 saving graces were state MD school (and 5 of the places I applied where in the same state) and my desire to stay in that same state post-residency.

Things must have changed dramatically since I matched in 2010. My med school record was not pretty at all, ranked 8 programs (applied to 9, interviewed at all 8 that offered) matched at my #2. Literally my only 2 saving graces were state MD school (and 5 of the places I applied where in the same state) and my desire to stay in that same state post-residency.
My school gave us 8 wks, which I used very little of because I had some family issues. I took off my first rotation (6 wks) to study for it.

You only applied to 9 programs!

I am applying to about 75 IM as well ... I go to a low tier MD and I have no research background. I will also take step2 in late October. That's why I am applying to so many programs.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone applying to 110+ programs. You go to a MD program in the US; as long as you pass boards your first try I don't think you're as much of an underdog as you think you are (unless you decide to gun for optho or something).

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think I've ever heard of anyone applying to 110+ programs. You go to a MD program in the US; as long as you pass boards your first try I don't think you're as much of an underdog as you think you are (unless you decide to gun for optho or something).

Will 35 IM and 35 FM programs be sufficient?

Yeah, things have changed, but not that much. Most US MDs that I know apply to ~20 programs, interview at 10-15, and rank most of them. It's tougher to get through the mass of applications that every program seems to get, and programs interview like 100+ applicants.

Things have changed now. I wish I was applying in 2010; I would have been a shoo-in for FM...

Dude, you will get FM if you apply to a range of programs. Don't only apply to the top programs or only in one city or something.

If you're applying FM as a backup, I would drop that number down to 20. I'd also significantly reduce the number of programs you apply to for IM. You can get the same result with applying IM to 10-15 reaches, 10-15 reasonable programs, and 10-15 "safeties". You really don't need to be applying to 100+.

The truth is, its pointless to apply to a ton of programs, because you will not physically be able to interview at more than 15-20 places at most.

To give you an idea, I had a higher step score than you, but I'm a DO, and I had interviews from >70% of the programs I applied to. That said, it was more like 90%+ in the region of my med school (state and contiguous states) and like 40-50% in socal (have a connection there, but it wasn't obvious in my app).

You really will be fine. Write a good PS, get good LORs, and wait for invites to come in.

@hallowmann I really don't want FM because I can't stand OB; besides I am not a big fan of outpatient medicine. However, I might apply to some FM programs as a back up...

Maybe I should apply to 50-60 IM programs and call it a day.

...Maybe I should apply to 50-60 IM programs and call it a day.

Yeah, honestly, if you want IM, you can get IM. You don't need to apply FM. You just need to be strategic in how you apply to IM, and you have to know what you ultimately want. Be sure to apply to community programs, be sure to have a range that are very likely to interview you, and have reaches too.

If you want a fellowship, you'll have to really apply to range of low-mid tier university programs as well as community programs with in-house fellowships. ~60 should really be more than fine, but I can't tell you from personal experience, only from what I've heard from people I know that applied IM.

If I am going into fellowship, it will be ID, which is not competitive...

The plan is to apply to 10 mid tier university, 20 low tier and 30+ community programs.
Edit Post by W19

Last edited:
I posted this in another discussion, thought reposting here as I felt it is the right place to ask. I am an IMG (non-caribbean med school), graduated in 2015, Step 1 199, CS pass both 1st attempt, but failed step 2 ck twice. Until I failed, I wanted to do IM, and worked on my sub internships in IM related specialties. Nothing to show on my resume until now to show interest in FM except voluntary service at free clinics during medical schools Now I plan to apply for FM. With my stats would I be able to match to FM? If so what should I do to improve my chances?

I posted this in another discussion, thought reposting here as I felt it is the right place to ask. I am an IMG (non-caribbean med school), graduated in 2015, Step 1 199, CS pass both 1st attempt, but failed step 2 ck twice. Until I failed, I wanted to do IM, and worked on my sub internships in IM related specialties. Nothing to show on my resume until now to show interest in FM except voluntary service at free clinics during medical schools Now I plan to apply for FM. With my stats would I be able to match to FM? If so what should I do to improve my chances?

Have you now passed Step 2?

If so, what was your step 2 score on the third attempt?

So I just got my step3 result and I failed by 2 points.

I am an IMG applying this year for the 2018 match to Family medicine, so my question is how bad does this look, I might have enough time to re-take before September 15, but don't know if with enough time to have the new result by then as I really don't want to risk it.

But my real question is how are my chances, will programs make a big deal out of it if I dont have a passing score by the time of application? my CV is actually very good 2 years of US clinical experience, publications, volunteer, research, work, etc, with good LORs and step1 214, step2 241.

Thanks in advance!!

@cj_cregg The prevailing sentiment in SDN (which I don't subscribe to) is that: If you are a US student with no red flags, you should be fine for FM/IM/Path/gas/radiology, and maybe psych.

I will have a better idea after the 2018 match since I am applying IM with no red flags and a low step 1 (215-220)

So I just got my step3 result and I failed by 2 points.

I am an IMG applying this year for the 2018 match to Family medicine, so my question is how bad does this look, I might have enough time to re-take before September 15, but don't know if with enough time to have the new result by then as I really don't want to risk it.

But my real question is how are my chances, will programs make a big deal out of it if I dont have a passing score by the time of application? my CV is actually very good 2 years of US clinical experience, publications, volunteer, research, work, etc, with good LORs and step1 214, step2 241.

Thanks in advance!!
Retake step3 in August so you can get your score back before Sept 15th

@cj_cregg

What's your step1 score? Well, if it is 200+ and you are a US student, you probably won't end up in Southwestern Kansas (wherever that is) if you don't want to, but sometimes these FM programs are better than FM programs in the big cities because they are usually unopposed...

200-210 range, but you're still missing the question I'm asking, which is what I (or anyone else) can do to make my application as strong as possible aside from the obvious doing as well as possible on step and clerkship grades. I'd especially appreciate it if any residents/attendings who have evaluated residency applications in the past can respond.
You already knew what you need to do... Add some good LORs and research to that. Resident or PD will tell you the same thing based on PDs' survey that is out there...

Steps > grades (clerkships) > good LORs > research... in that order.

Hey everyone, I am a DO student, and my scores are not very good. Is there a way to find ok/below-average family medicine residencies to apply to in order to cover my bases. Going to their website and looking through score/pass-fail data has not been very useful. Besides finding new residency or fairly new residencies (haven't graduated their first class), its been hard to sort through everything. Any advice?

Hey everyone, I am a DO student, and my scores are not very good. Is there a way to find ok/below-average family medicine residencies to apply to in order to cover my bases. Going to their website and looking through score/pass-fail data has not been very useful. Besides finding new residency or fairly new residencies (haven't graduated their first class), its been hard to sort through everything. Any advice?
Without seeing stats, it might be difficult for some posters to evaluate your chances... But if you have no red flags, your chances are ok for FM. You might have to apply to more programs than the average applicant.

Without seeing stats, it might be difficult for some posters to evaluate your chances... But if you have no red flags, your chances are ok for FM. You might have to apply to more programs than the average applicant.

My scores are low 400s. I do have redflags. I failed my first COMLEX I exam and on retry scored a low 400. I will soon be taking COMLEX II but the application will be going in before that. Instead of applying broadly, is there a way to find the residencies that would competitive for me. I will still be applying to 40-50 programs but I would rather send them to only the ones within my scope. Is there any way to sort through that?

My scores are low 400s. I do have redflags. I failed my first COMLEX I exam and on retry scored a low 400. I will soon be taking COMLEX II but the application will be going in before that. Instead of applying broadly, is there a way to find the residencies that would competitive for me. I will still be applying to 40-50 programs but I would rather send them to only the ones within my scope. Is there any way to sort through that?

It's not easy to screen residency programs because most of them don't put a lot info in their website. However, one thing that might work is to apply to undesirable locations (i.e rural midwest and deep south) and programs that take a lot IMGs because they can't attract US students..

I am a US MD student with step1 score is ~220 and no red flags, and I am applying to ~70 IM programs... and IM is on the same level of competitiveness with FM. Just trying put things into perspective.

You don't want to shoot yourself in the foot because you don't want spend an extra $500 into application fee. I have seen someone go thru the SOAP, and it's terrible.

To be blunt, I think you should apply to a lot more than 50 programs...

Last edited:
If you would like to ask about your chances of getting into a family medicine residency, please post in this sticky here!

Can anyone offer advice for getting the most out of the AAFP Conference.. there must be wisdom to impart here? I'm on the flight Wednesday, with all my OMNI back issues to catch up on in flight. ... should be a wonderful experience..

I am currently a categorical general surgery PGY1 who recently had a change of heart and would like to pursue family medicine. I started having second thoughts about surgery shortly after match day, and now think that my personality is better suited for family medicine. I really loved my FM rotations as a medical student and I miss the patient interaction that you get in family medicine. I have a couple of questions before I consider re-entering the match this year. Ideally I would like to match somewhere in the upper midwest/great lakes area, MN/WI/IL.

What sort of family medicine programs should I be looking at? My USMLE scores are good step 1 >240, step 2 >250.
Is it seen as a red flag if I am already a resident?
What would be the best way to go about getting LORs?

Thanks in advance

It's not easy to screen residency programs because most of them don't put a lot info in their website.
-every program I've searched for lists requirements to apply both for US MD's and IMG's in good detail.
-to apefromthepast; make sure you do look at their actual website not just frieda because many will not accept applicants who failed step 1 (or COMPLEX 1 in your case) on their first attempt this info is not on frieda

However, one thing that might work is to apply to undesirable locations (i.e rural midwest and deep south) and programs that take a lot IMGs because they can't attract US students..
-ehhh probably true, but lots of rural programs can be competitive. This is probably unique to FM cause you get to do a lot of cool stuff like intubations and surgery in rural areas to an extent that is not normally available in urban FM programs

and IM is on the same level of competitiveness with FM.
-don't know about this one. Look up NRMP match data on step 1 scores in IM, if I remember correctly IM are comparable to gen surg. numbers with mean step 1 ~230, FM I think is in the 210-215 range. Not unusual to see min step1 scores to apply to FM 192/pass on FRIEDA, not the case for IM. Though there are FM programs harder to get into than some IM, in general IM is harder top get and if he failed COMPLEX 1 on first attempt, probably safer to go FM.

To be blunt, I think you should apply to a lot more than 50 programs...
-what's a lot more? 100?

Can anyone offer advice for getting the most out of the AAFP Conference.. there must be wisdom to impart here? I'm on the flight Wednesday, with all my OMNI back issues to catch up on in flight. ... should be a wonderful experience..

Now that you went would you care to impart any wisdom to the rest of us since there are still state conferences and such in the coming months before application cycle begins. Any tips on how to talk to program directors, what questions to ask and what questions to avoid, how to make yourself memorable so that they remember who you are when they get 2000 applications lol

Hmm.. it's hard to advise on a point by point fashion, since it depends on your previous knowledgebase. But I would say (having managed it all by myself that way and without any support...), that one good approach is to get business cards and stick to short, pleasant conversations looking for confirmation of your thoughts about the area, the program, the patient population ( for example, "I understand this is an urban program.. can you tell me more about that ...?") In general, it seemed like many presenters were just looking to have nice convo's and by the end of the day, they were sick of hearing "IMG-Friendly" (it's better to know that beforehand). I wouldn't bother standing in front of people for a long time trying to get noticed since there are probably alot to see... Three other points -- (not related to your original question)
1 --> you should expect to see more residents that PDs, ((I would guess that the reason the PD doesn't go is the same reason why many entire programs don't bother "advertising" at the conference))
2 --> it looked like the crowds in front of certain tables/programs didn't necessarily correspond to very much ((THAT IS VERY IMPORTANT)) .. for example, I saw programs that were not very big with tons of people gathered there because they had slick posters.. and others that were more prestigious ( (Forgive me Lord) like the Cambridge Alliance program that is a good community FM program) didn't have many folks there
3. --> There is a wide range of personality types in FM.. I would say more so than Surgery or something like that .. so adjust your convo time accordingly (IT WAS NOT similar to an international diplomatic summit... for example, I was overdressed on the 1st day, and it seemed like even more people showed up the next day in T-Shirts and sneakers (but maybe I was reading into it) ) but dress shirt and tie with slacks and hard soled shoes is good.. I wouldn't bother with a dsuit)

Lastly, for better or worse, I got alot of enjoyment out of telling people I was a 2nd generation IMG, AMA, and (with their blessing) hope to be 2nd gen American Board-certified.. that may or may not have made me more or less able to find a more strategic placement in the corresponding hippocampi (for whatever program institution that may be, IS ONLY TO BE DECIDED; i.e., what other define as "future truth", or as Secretary Rumsfeld once famously said.. "known unknowns")

[[ CARDS will fall and TRUTH WILL NOT BE YOURS to determine... as we are all scientists.. we all took out the subscription to non-subjective truth, a truth reproducible and hence verifiable by objective experiment .. Find comfort in the fact that your future, however objective and metaphysical, is only the near-barbaric footnote to our great 18th century scientific and medical forefathers.. and rise together to say, "Thanks, but not thanks, Dinosaur... I AM " ]] [[[ n'est pas parce que je pense ]]]

Last edited:
:boom: ... I see there's one that deals with alchemy

Now that you went would you care to impart any wisdom to the rest of us since there are still state conferences and such in the coming months before application cycle begins. Any tips on how to talk to program directors, what questions to ask and what questions to avoid, how to make yourself memorable so that they remember who you are when they get 2000 applications lol

I hope that helpz .. you'll figure it out.. practice makes perfect
:=|:-):

FM PGY-2 here. I applied to a "crazy" amount of residency programs compared to my peers (40). I ended up going on 24 interviews which I have been told was also overkill. If I did it again, I would not apply to more than 25 and I would have been more selective in where I applied after researching the schools more.

I was surprised to find that most program directors were really flattered and impressed if you quoted the residency motto at them. Aka, "I really like that your program has insert attribute here (aka strong research/volunteer/clinical/theoretical opportunities) and is focused on "full-spectrum care with a patient-centered focus". I found this a little silly because every school has some motto with a permutation of "individualizing education" or "full-spectrum patient-centered care", but it's a sign that you've (theoretically) researched the school.

Also, the same way you want to walk into an interview and have the interviewer ask you customized questions that show's they've actually looked at your resume, you should ask questions that show you are moderately familiar with the program. Be honest here. The genuine interest is going to come off as much more attractive than generic boring questions. So saying, "I had limited exposure to joint injections in medical school but I'd really like to master that skill in residency since I enjoy sports medicine so much. What opportunities do residents have to learn procedures?" is much better than "what procedures are offered?' Or saying, "I really like OBGYN and Global Health and I know both "tracks" are offered at your program. Do you feel there are any advantages or disadvantages to choosing one over the other? is better than "what tracks are offered?"

Last edited:
@TennisShoeChic You probably had great stats...

:laugh: Oh, bless you. :laugh: SDN does seem unusually inundated with superstars, huh?

Unfortunately, I'm a strictly "average" graduate. I have some unique extracurriculars, but Step scores 210-220.
I repeated one shelf- my COM was kind enough to not "flag" this failure in dean's letter- just brief phrase I passed on 2nd attempt w score "xyz"
I'm a US graduate though, so I can't speak to the extra hurdles IMG face- I do realize it's a lot harder to get in and I would apply much broader

Honestly though, all of my FM peers applied to <25 schools and went on ~10 interviews
If you're considering IM though, it's a whole different story- I'm pretty sure 40+ was the average number of applications there

Also, to the person who took some time off- have a 2-3 sentence phrase prepared about why you took time off and spin it into a positive character trait. I guarantee it will come up every gosh darn interview.
Aka
I took time off during year 3 in med school after my fiance broke up with me. It was actually quite scary to place my dream of being a doctor on "hold" to focus on my mental health, but I know it was the right thing to do. I was able to return to the wards two months later with a clear head and really give 100% of myself to training. It emphasized for me how important it is to have a support system in place to fall back on and how important work-life balance is for patient care.

(Then the director can transition into how their residents are really like a supportive family or how their program dedicates itself to work-life balance etc etc)

Last edited:
I got 2 FM program that emailed me. They say I should consider applying to their program... Don't know how they got my school email though. If that means something, I might apply to these 2 programs. I am sending ~75 IM applications.

got 2 FM program that emailed me. They say I should consider applying to their program... Don't know how they got my school email though. If that means something, I might apply to these 2 programs.

I hate to say it, but those invitation are all spam/mailed to everyone whose e-mails they have.
I wouldn't apply FM as a "backup" unless you prefer it over IM and would be happy in that career.
Every year there are always people who put FM as backup and are then miserable when they match into it.
Buuuuut, if you could see yourself there...*chants* one of us! one of us! :) :) :)

My school is telling me to apply to 40 programs and interview with at least 15, but I think they tell everybody that at a minimum. They also told me to do an away rotation, which seemed unnecessary.
I'm at a relatively new US MD school.
I got a 220 on step 1 and am waiting on my step II score.
My clerkship grades are above average, but I don't have any meaningful research.
I'm applying to every program in my state and a bunch in surrounding states (I would love to stay near home).

I'm thinking 25-30 apps is reasonable, and going to 10-12 interviews (schedule depending). Does that sound like a good plan?

I left out second-generation scratch golf

DO student here applying to both AOA and ACGME residencies.
Level 1: 558
Level 2: 686
PE: Pass first attempt
Step1: 230
Step2: 251
Mostly HP clerkship grades with Honors in Family Med, Peds & Psych. Top quartile of my class.
Varied volunteer experience, 1 research project.
Planning to apply to 20 programs. Should I be applying to more?

DO student here applying to both AOA and ACGME residencies.
Level 1: 558
Level 2: 686
PE: Pass first attempt
Step1: 230
Step2: 251
Mostly HP clerkship grades with Honors in Family Med, Peds & Psych. Top quartile of my class.
Varied volunteer experience, 1 research project.
Planning to apply to 20 programs. Should I be applying to more?
Are you serious?

Reactions: 2 users
Are you serious?

Lol! That was my response too. I'd call him a troll, but he's been on here two years...

Those are great stats. Breathe easy, friend.

Last edited:
didn't match first go in OB. in addition, I've failed the CS twice.

finally passed the damn CS but 4th quartile grades in a top 50 US school. 210/220 S1 and S2 respectively.

applying to about 150 combined in FM and IM. wish me luck.