Want to get into an FM residency...WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I think Splenda88 already gave you some excellent advice. Keep in mind you can get practicing rights with 1 year of training in most states if you can figure out something for a visa, and there's more opportunities for licensed physicians who didn't complete a residency every year.

I can't help wondering though, what went wrong for you with Step 2?

I don't believe this is entirely true for international applications, and certainly not for ''most states''. The question also is raised, do you feel competent to practice medicine independently after bouncing around from rotation to rotation for 12 months, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not in most states since most states require at least two years (3 for california starting 2020, for imgs). Some southern or midwestern states only require one yr and those are worth looking into. However, do not expect to earn the same paycheck as your counterparts who are boarded, for what exact reason i am unsure but i believe it has to do with insurance and your billing code.
I would take step three and try to get some US clinical experience and try again. Apply very broadly. This is easier said than done but if you want it that bad, you need to not leave anything on the table and give it everything you got. If you fail you fail it while trying your hardest. At least you’d know that it wasn’t meant to be and have no regrets.

However, do not expect to earn the same paycheck as your counterparts who are boarded, for what exact reason i am unsure but i believe it has to do with insurance and your billing code.

Well, because they aka everyone outside of the field i.e. admins see this as equivalent to midlevels.. despite mid-levels claiming to be ''board certified''. LOL.

Members don't see this ad :)
US MD student with 23x STEP 1, some high passes 3rd year, ivy league undergrad (does this matter lol?). I am thinking about potentially doing family medicine since I do have a strong urge for community work/primary care and intervention. I am still slightly undecided. How do you think I will fare at the NYC programs? I have my eye on Columbia NYP but I am not sure what the applicant expectations are. I know my scores are competitive for average FM residencies, but not sure about Columbia NYP. Can anyone provide insight into the Columbia program?

Last edited:
I could use a reality check:
Step 1: 21x (ugh)
Grades: 1 H, 3 HP, 1 P (FM was HP)
CV: four leadership roles since UG, mentoring stuff, no research
I would prefer Philly area.
Two LORs so far.

As an aside, Ive talked to a PD who said my CV looks good, but idk what types of programs I should target.

Non-US IMG
-Step 1 237
-Step 2 231 (2nd attempt, just had a bad day)
-Step 2 CS (first attempt)
-Step 3 (245)
-Graduated this year
-Great/strong LOR's in both IM and FM
-Great grades in medical school

Interested in both FM/IM. The repeat on CK scares me.

Non-US IMG
-Step 1 237
-Step 2 231 (2nd attempt, just had a bad day)
-Step 2 CS (first attempt)
-Step 3 (245)
-Graduated this year
-Great/strong LOR's in both IM and FM
-Great grades in medical school

Interested in both FM/IM. The repeat on CK scares me.

Unfortunately, your scores are average/below average for IMG applicants, and your CK failure is a major red flag. With these, you'll be hard pressed to find a program that is willing to sponsor a visa for you are a non-US applicant (I assume you're not a permanent resident?). Your best chance is to apply very widely to programs that are IMG friendly in less desirable areas of the country, and have a back up plan in case you don't match. Best of luck to you!

USMG What are my chances: 22- step 1, 22- step 2, pass CS all first attempt. No red flags. However didnt match 2 years ago in gen surg and looking to reapply this cycle. Havent scheduled step 3 but expecting it would be a requirement. Havent been able to get any clinical experience in the last 2 years after graduating and worried about getting letters! Almost seems impossible to match at this point but maybe there is a way.

USMG What are my chances: 22- step 1, 22- step 2, pass CS all first attempt. No red flags. However didnt match 2 years ago in gen surg and looking to reapply this cycle. Havent scheduled step 3 but expecting it would be a requirement. Havent been able to get any clinical experience in the last 2 years after graduating and worried about getting letters! Almost seems impossible to match at this point but maybe there is a way.

Your scores are good. But the fact that you previously applied and did not match, plus the fact that you did not have clinical exp in the last 2 yrs, plus the fact that you applied to a different specialty previously, are all considered red flags. Those are factors you must address in your PS, as PDs might not consider you for an interview if there's no clear explanation for your circumstances. Having said that, if you do have a good explanation for why you did not match for 2 years, and why you decided to switch specialties, then there are plenty of PDs that will give you a chance. Best of luck!

Your scores are good. But the fact that you previously applied and did not match, plus the fact that you did not have clinical exp in the last 2 yrs, plus the fact that you applied to a different specialty previously, are all considered red flags. Those are factors you must address in your PS, as PDs might not consider you for an interview if there's no clear explanation for your circumstances. Having said that, if you do have a good explanation for why you did not match for 2 years, and why you decided to switch specialties, then there are plenty of PDs that will give you a chance. Best of luck!

Thank you!

US MD. Graduated this year and didn’t match in anesthesiology. Planning on reapplying to a few anesthesiology programs but throwing FM in the mix as well.

Step 1: 200
Step 2 CK: 223
Step 2 CS: Pass 1st attempt

Planning on taking Step 3 in time to be available for when I apply for 2020 Match. Might be doing research with an ortho that I know (already have one poster presentation with him). Chances for FM?

So sorry you're dealing with this and I wish you the best with matching this time around. I'm a recently graduated M4 going into FM, so I'll leave it to more experienced people to consider your chances, but just from the research I did as an FM applicant over the past year, a few things to consider:

Just looking at your research plans for the upcoming year and seeing that you did not initially apply to FM, I think the most important factor in your application is this: What have you done to demonstrate your interest in FM? That's the #1 thing PDs look for when deciding whether to interview a candidate according to the PD survey. Giving programs the perception FM is a backup specialty for you is literally going to hurt you more than a low Step 1 score.

The survey also suggests that a gap in your education can hurt you (72% of PDs consider it an important factor, rating it 4.2/5), but you have a few things working in your favor - passed all Steps on first attempt, USMD, presumably no failed courses, etc.

Finally, the biggest thing that will help you with specific programs is fit. Every FM program is super different. Some will prepare you well for bread and butter outpatient PCP work. Some will prepare you really well for hospitalist work, or OB, or more advanced office procedures. Some are focused on integrative medicine or sports medicine. Find your niche within FM, talk about it in your PS and LORs, and apply to programs that have resources and experiences that will help you reach those career goals. Programs want people who will be successful and happy there.

I have a LOR from my school’s Family Medicine Chairman and my volunteer activities have been in community-based medical clinics and such. I assume this would help out a bit towards FM, right?

Planning to take step 3 in early September. I am curious to know if this score is automatically submitted with my application or if I have to upload. So if I did unfortunately fail it would it be in my application released October 1st(probably severely hurt my chances of getting interviews) or would I be able to withold it and wait until I take it again and then hopefully Submit a pass?

Members don't see this ad :)
Planning to take step 3 in early September. I am curious to know if this score is automatically submitted with my application or if I have to upload. So if I did unfortunately fail it would it be in my application released October 1st(probably severely hurt my chances of getting interviews) or would I be able to withold it and wait until I take it again and then hopefully Submit a pass?

The score's not automatically submitted as you must submit the scores within ERAS manually. So for example; if you have Step 1 & 2 ready to submit by Sept 15th, but won't have step 3 scores until October 1st, then you'll have to go back into ERAS after October 1st to manually send your Step 3 score to all programs you applied to. If unfortunately you failed, then you can retake it and submit the score after your retake. Only at that time would programs see both your 1st fail and 2nd pass.

If you're an USMG, then you don't need step 3 even if you're a cycle out after graduation (although it would help), and programs would still consider you for interviews.

If you're an IMG, then you definitely need step 3 as most programs (but not all programs especially if you have some personal connections) won't consider you for an interview without it. If you don't have it by the time apps are reviewed, it's assumed either you've failed or you've not taken it, both of which would rule you out at most programs.

Update:

Step 1: 211
Step 2: 245
Grades: 2H, 3 HP, 1 P (FM was HP)
CV: four leadership roles since UG, mentoring stuff, no research
I would prefer Philly area.
Two LORs so far.

Ive looked at ERAS and how long does it take for all programs to be listed on there? Based on multiple reasons, want to stay in Philly area. Are there enough programs to be competitive for the match? How many should i target?

Amazing improvement in Step 2!!! Congrats!

ERAS is tough to look up programs and is not always up to date with newer programs. I would check out the AAFP residency directory and the PAFP website for a list of established programs. I would also try to go to the AAFP Residents & Students Conference in August and any state-level residency expos to put your name out there, and consider writing two different personal statements - one for Philadelphia programs expressing your strong interest in staying in the area, and one for programs elsewhere leaving that out.

At the AAFP conference last year their general recommendation regardless of application strength was apply to 12 programs, attend 10 interviews, rank 8. The AAMC Apply Smart tool says that for an FM applicant with your Step 1 score, you reach the point of diminishing returns at 17 applications. Assuming you have strong letters, interview reasonably well, and no major issues you're not mentioning here, I would apply to 15-20 just to be on the safe side, which means you'll probably be applying to some outside of Philadelphia. You'll probably get interview offers at most places you apply and have a solid chance of staying in your desired area.

My one rotation might be falling through. Is not having two FM LORs going to be a problem? I could get two LORs from the same program, but I feel like that won’t do much for me?

I will have come application time: 1 FM, 1 OB, 1 or 2 peds.

Im trying to figure out how to further set up my schedule and that could include EM, Geriatrics, or PM&R

USMLE 1: 236
USMLE 2 CK: 237
USMLE 2 CS: Pass w/o failures
USMLE 3: Will do it before October 1st 2019
Western European FMG, no red flags, will graduate on time this summer
1 published article in high profile journal
I have several strong LORs from European doctors (Family Medicine, Pathologist(s), Anatomist, Anesthesiology and Immunology)
Limited clinical experience (but will have had at least 10 months of surgical ER and department work as a junior doctor by April-May 2020)
Considering Family Medicine due to high quality of life (as far as I know) and because I enjoyed it a lot during my rotations (would love a FM/IM combined residency but those are hard to get I think)

Do I have a chance for FM in the U.S? ;)

Have a nice day

Last edited:
USMLE 1: 236
USMLE 2 CK: 237
USMLE 2 CS: Pass w/o failures
USMLE 3: Will do it before October 1st 2019
Western European FMG, no red flags, will graduate on time this summer
1 published article in high profile journal
I have several strong LORs from European doctors (Family Medicine, Pathologist(s), Anatomist, Anesthesiology and Immunology)
Limited clinical experience (but will have had at least 10 months of surgical ER and department work as a junior doctor by April-May 2020)
Considering Family Medicine due to high quality of life (as far as I know) and because I enjoyed it a lot during my rotations (would love a FM/IM combined residency but those are hard to get I think)

Do I have a chance for FM in the U.S? ;)

Have a nice day

Not having US clinical experience will set you back a lot, that and not having your Step 3 score before apps are due. Keep in mind that to many PDs, IMG/FMGs gets 2nd priority, so you'll be held to a different standard compared to US grads and you'll be competing with other IMG for spots. You will also need LOR from licensed US physicians, LOR from foreign MDs will carry very little weight unless they are giants in their respective specialties. Many of those same IMGs will have their Step 3 ready, and they will have extensive US clinical exp and LOR as well.

Having said that, it's not necessarily a deal breaker (you will have to have US MD/DO LORs though). You will however have to apply very widely, and might have to settle for a program that caters to IMGs. Unfortunately that usually (but not always) means tons of scut work in a fairly malignant program. I hope things work out for you, best of luck in the application process!

I am an IMG with around ten years since my graduation with four years of experience as a general physician in my home country. I am currently a US citizen so I don't need to apply for visa. My USMLE Step 1 score just came and was very low (206). This was a very depressing result. I have read in some forums that I should focus on getting a very high Step 2 score (250+) but I am not sure if I will have any chance for any family medicine program as a foreign graduate. I lost my motivation and re-thinking about continuing medicine in the US. I don't know if high Step 2 score/US clinical experience/networking/research can make up for the low Step 1 score and long years since graduation. Any advice is highly appreciated.

I am an IMG with around ten years since my graduation with four years of experience as a general physician in my home country. I am currently a US citizen so I don't need to apply for visa. My USMLE Step 1 score just came and was very low (206). This was a very depressing result. I have read in some forums that I should focus on getting a very high Step 2 score (250+) but I am not sure if I will have any chance for any family medicine program as a foreign graduate. I lost my motivation and re-thinking about continuing medicine in the US. I don't know if high Step 2 score/US clinical experience/networking/research can make up for the low Step 1 score and long years since graduation. Any advice is highly appreciated.
There's always a chance but being 10 years out and having a low step 1 will hurt. If I were in your shoes, I'd kill CK, pass CS, Step 3 as well. Try to get some clinical experience while studying for those tests and see where it goes. Definitely apply broadly and you may have a chance.

I am non us IMG live in USA and working in medical field, i finished step1 in 3 attempts 196 and step 2ck in 1st attempt 213 ,going to finish cs and step 3 before i apply.
What are my chances to match to FM
Anywhere in tge country i am working to get strong clinical experience in FM to compensate my bad scores history.

I am non us IMG live in USA and working in medical field, i finished step1 in 3 attempts 196 and step 2ck in 1st attempt 213 ,going to finish cs and step 3 before i apply.
What are my chances to match to FM
Anywhere in tge country i am working to get strong clinical experience in FM to compensate my bad scores history.

Zero chance with two step failures and a barely passing score and poor CK.

If you would like to ask about your chances of getting into a family medicine residency, please post in this sticky here!
How long before i must apply to get observerships or hands on clinical experience for FM? Whats the criteria for getting observerships? And where do I find the programs that will take me in?

Are there diminishing returns on step scores above 230? 240? Would having higher scores like this make you very competitive at every/most FM programs?

Are there diminishing returns on step scores above 230? 240? Would having higher scores like this make you very competitive at every/most FM programs?

Higher board scores rarely hurt. But if you have high board scores and nothing else and can't interview well you may experience diminishing returns compared to someone with average scores but great LORS/preceptor commentary and personal statement.

228/229/223/CS pass 1st attempts need visa non US IMG
carrib student
USCE 2 years during my 3rd and 4th year
3 poster presentations
YOG 2018
3 LORS - 1 FM

what are my chances guys of getting interviews? it seems like visa is becoming a bigger issue for FM more so than even IM
how can I increase my chances
thanks

Hi all! Just posting here to solicit input on how I can best orient myself to succeed in a future primary care or Hem/Onc career!

I'm an M1 at a low-tier, newer US MD school in the midwest. My interests in general order as as follows:
1) FM
2) Med-Peds
3) IM
4) IM --> Hem/Onc
5) Surgical Oncology (not likely, but the only way I go into surgery whatsoever)

I don't really think I'll fall more in love with other paths (though I don't want to be close-minded). I'm an older non-trad and have worked in a myriad of other practice settings (surgical, Derm, etc) that just don't interest me as much. I've basically been a generalist in my academic and professional career my entire adult life and really only see Hem/Onc as the type of specialty that might truly catch my eye.

In terms of FM, I love the longitudinal, "from conception to death" spectrum of care and the huge variety of pathologies one can see in an FM setting. I also love talking to people, so being able to liaison with a host of other physicians and spending the majority of my time 1:1 with patients is very attractive. Finally, I'm interested in academic medicine and educating future health professionals as part of my role, so it's nice that placing into academic FM is a bit easier than a lot of the other specialties, though I may fall in love with community health as well which has an obvious tie-in to FM. The ability to fellow in OB from FM is also pretty sweet. The lesser salary and prestige of FM don't really matter to me, though I'd love to be involved in education and research at a reputable location if I had the opportunity.

My general plan is as such:
1) Focus on passing everything with no red flags.
2) Prep for Step 1 from day one and shoot for the 230-240 range (though I have no real idea of score percentiles right now).
3) Get involved with FM interest groups, professional organizations, and community involvement.
4) Focus on excelling in my FM and IM rotations.
5) Get in some kind of clinical research, even if it's not extensive.
6) Do something else I love (i.e. narrative medicine, bioethics, boxing, basketball) to maintain a sense of sanity, identity, and individuality.

Am I missing anything? Does anyone have any suggestions to a complete newbie (general med school survival tips, resources, etc)? Any input from older students, residents, etc

Also, I'm in a very medium-sized midwestern city of ~70k people; do I have any shot at any FM or IM residency programs in some of the bigger cities (Boston, Seattle, Chicago, Philly, NYC) coming from a newer, low-tier midwestern city school (assuming I do reasonably well re: #1-6)? Boston and Chicago, in particular, are two of my favorite places in the world, and I'd love to live in either city again! For programs in major cities, should I expect to have to hold a top/second quartile in the class ranks and/or a 235+ Step? Are there cutoffs?

Thanks in advance for any replies, and sorry for the super lengthy post!

- 2nd time applicant, last year applied only psych
- 245/255/CS passed 1st attempt
- AMG
- honored half of rotations, only passed Family

Worried since:
(1) 2nd time app
(2) my application is clearly geared towards psychiatry with EC and elective choices, I've only managed to squeeze in family rotations quickly after not matching
(3) I'm honestly not as extroverted as most family applicants probably will be

Does anyone have insights into my application chances? I'm applying around 100 psych and 70 family this time around, I think they're "mid to low tier" programs, but honestly I don't know with the family medicine programs, it was daunting to diligently research over 600 places

USIMG
ECFMG Certified

Last edited:
- 2nd time applicant, last year applied only psych
- 245/255/CS passed 1st attempt
- AMG
- honored half of rotations, only passed Family

Worried since:
(1) 2nd time app
(2) my application is clearly geared towards psychiatry with EC and elective choices, I've only managed to squeeze in family rotations quickly after not matching
(3) I'm honestly not as extroverted as most family applicants probably will be

Does anyone have insights into my application chances? I'm applying around 100 psych and 70 family this time around, I think they're "mid to low tier" programs, but honestly I don't know with the family medicine programs, it was daunting to diligently research over 600 places
Crazy how you didnt match psych last year with your numbers. Systems broken

non US IMG
Step 1 228
s2 CK: 244
CS pass first try
1 american LOR , 3 Canadian LORs

Two research experiences but no publications

How’s it lookin for FM?

non US IMG
Step 1 228
s2 CK: 244
CS pass first try
1 american LOR , 3 Canadian LORs

Two research experiences but no publications

How’s it lookin for FM?
Not bad... Apply to as many programs as you can. You should match.

Alright guys, I need some perspective. Let a brotha know what my odds are. I applied to 100 FM programs

US-IMG (Caribbean)-2017 Graduate
Step 1: 200 (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 211 (on THIRD attempt; had a bunch of shyt go down and messed up. I should have just waited to take it but I was an idiot)
Step 2 CS: PASS (first attempt)
Step 3: 196 (first attempt)

Never been a good standardized test taker but I always seem to dominate "regular" exams.

No research ( I HATE it)
Got all HONORS on my rotations and never failed a class
I have 3 masters degrees (MBA, MHA, MS)
4 LOR's (OBGYN, Peds, FM, and Anesthesia)
Had 2 LOA's (both related to running out of money during medical school because I was paying cash)

Alright guys, I need some perspective. Let a brotha know what my odds are. I applied to 100 FM programs

US-IMG (Caribbean)-2017 Graduate
Step 1: 200 (first attempt)
Step 2 CK: 211 (on THIRD attempt; had a bunch of shyt go down and messed up. I should have just waited to take it but I was an idiot)
Step 2 CS: PASS (first attempt)
Step 3: 196 (first attempt)

Never been a good standardized test taker but I always seem to dominate "regular" exams.

No research ( I HATE it)
Got all HONORS on my rotations and never failed a class
I have 3 masters degrees (MBA, MHA, MS)
4 LOR's (OBGYN, Peds, FM, and Anesthesia)
Had 2 LOA's (both related to running out of money during medical school because I was paying cash)

You're a very long shot. I would apply to more than 100 FM programs. Low Step 1 score, multiple red flags (2 fails on CK, 2 LOA, YOG). The multiple specialty LORs won't help you either. Your app would come across as FM as a back up. I'd make sure you're tailored towards FM (personal statement). I'd also recommend looking at programs that are new and opening that aren't well advertised, so less applicants.

I'd also highly recommend having a back up plan to not matching this year.

You're a very long shot. I would apply to more than 100 FM programs. Low Step 1 score, multiple red flags (2 fails on CK, 2 LOA, YOG). The multiple specialty LORs won't help you either. Your app would come across as FM as a back up. I'd make sure you're tailored towards FM (personal statement). I'd also recommend looking at programs that are new and opening that aren't well advertised, so less applicants.

I'd also highly recommend having a back up plan to not matching this year.
Thank you for the info! All of my LOR, although from different specialties, were written in a manner geared toward FM. I made sure I wrote my personal statment that was focused as to why FM, what makes me stand out, and why I should be picked even though I have some red flags. I went through ERAS, Frieda, and each program website (I think 647) and narrowed down to 150-175 programs but only had enough money to apply for 100. I've also been thinking of a plan B in the event I don't match as well. I would just prefer to not go that route. Nevertheless, I appreciate your time in responding to my post. If you have any connections to programs I would greatly appreciate some assistance.

Guys, I’m having a dreadful season. Applied to 300 programs... 0 interviews.
US citizen- Caribbean grad
Step 1 223 - 1st Pass
Step 2ck 221 - 1st pass
Step 2cs - THIRD pass- honestly I didn’t take the exam as srs. Then I tried to rush it. Just a total disaster.
YOG 2019
Currently doing research in US university.
I guess step 3 is the answer? Just totally bummed CS messed me up smh.

Guys, I’m having a dreadful season. Applied to 300 programs... 0 interviews.
US citizen- Caribbean grad
Step 1 223 - 1st Pass
Step 2ck 221 - 1st pass
Step 2cs - THIRD pass- honestly I didn’t take the exam as srs. Then I tried to rush it. Just a total disaster.
YOG 2019
Currently doing research in US university.
I guess step 3 is the answer? Just totally bummed CS messed me up smh.
Time to consider pathology or prelim surgery...

0 LORs for path or surg. I’ve always wanted to do FM, all my LORs are FM geared. I’d take anything right abt now tho.
I am talking about next cycle if things do not work out this cycle... ALWAYS have a plan B and even a plan C in life.

Hello Canadian img , wamc ?

1-230
2ck-230
Cs-passed
Most clerk/electives-p or hp
All first attempt

Red flag :failed IM clerkship ( bad fund of knowledge bad hp-per preceptor) was first rotation school sprung on me 2-3 days notice Regret I took it didn’t know how to prepare my bad . Mpse won’t show comments per secretary of dean
Chances look good assuming you have no red flags in your application.

US IMG. average usmle score, got family medicine interviews, but did not match, but settled with nuclear medicine residency. after completing residency. no job prospects. is there hope in applying for family medicine residency?

non-US IMG with very strong scores here, applying purely FM. I currently have 19 offers but am strongly considering canceling one interview due to financial constraints. Is this a foolish move for someone with IMG status? I am not the type to cancel unless there was a very good reason to. Any advice is appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Financial reasons can be very good reasons. That said, there's plenty of people who match last on their ROL. What if they had never interviewed there? Just food for thought.

Non US - IMG - Carribbean
Step 1 - below 200 (Pass no attempt)
step2 ck- 212
step 2 CS- Pass
step 3 - not taken
YOG - 2016
NO attempt on any exam
1 published research in FM
Multiple research and poster
This would be my 4th year applying, very passionate about family
WAMC?
any way to improve my chances to get into FM ?
Consider another speciality? which one?

Non US - IMG - Carribbean
Step 1 - below 200 (Pass no attempt)
step2 ck- 212
step 2 CS- Pass
step 3 - not taken
YOG - 2016
NO attempt on any exam
1 published research in FM
Multiple research and poster
This would be my 4th year applying, very passionate about family
WAMC?
any way to improve my chances to get into FM ?
Consider another speciality? which one?
Chances are slim...

Consider pathology if this is your 4th time applying...

Ok Thank You, would taking step 3 help at all with family?
Not that much...

At this stage, you should also apply pathology, prelim surgery, occupational medicine and see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users