Want to get into an FM residency...WAMC??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm not finished third year yet but my school recently did their "intro to 4th year" meeting and I've developed some anxiety about not matching and I want to get a realistic look at my chances.

DO Student but Canadian citizen
Step 1: 211, 558
Step 2: Not taken yet
Research: 2 posters, no publications
Multiple volunteering positions in medical school

HP in IM, OMM. Honors in FM. Possible P in surgery but hoping to pull off the HP.

I know the info is incomplete but I'm hoping just a bit to ease some of my anxiety.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm not finished third year yet but my school recently did their "intro to 4th year" meeting and I've developed some anxiety about not matching and I want to get a realistic look at my chances.

HP in IM, OMM. Honors in FM. Possible P in surgery but hoping to pull off the HP.

I know the info is incomplete but I'm hoping just a bit to ease some of my anxiety.
You are good to match FM or community IM assuming there won't be no red flags in your application...

Last edited:

I wouldnt worry

Members don't see this ad :)
So now that the 2020 match is concluded I am anxiously awaiting my turn next year. I am interested in rural family medicine but I am hoping for a program that is very OB heavy and possibly allows for primary c-sections. I am also looking at locations that have OB fellowships. I have found several programs still like this but they are the minority.

Stats
COMLEX- Level 1 470-490 Level 2 510-530. Passed PE all were first attempt
Clerkship grades were 4-H and 2-HP (FM and Peds)
I took a medical leave of absence because my son was born extremely premature which is my only “red flag”
No research/publications
No away rotations scheduled
Working on LORs but most likely 2FM and 2OB

Any advice for the upcoming cycle? I am not tied to any location in particular but prefer more rural based locations.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So now that the 2020 match is concluded I am anxiously awaiting my turn next year. I am interested in rural family medicine but I am hoping for a program that is very OB heavy and possibly allows for primary c-sections. I am also looking at locations that have OB fellowships. I have found several programs still like this but they are the minority.

Stats
I took a medical leave of absence because my son was born extremely premature which is my only “red flag”
No research/publications

Any advice for the upcoming cycle? I am not tied to any location in particular but prefer more rural based locations.

You are a shoo-in for FM... Apply to 40-45 programs. This is a little bit overkill, but better be safe than sorry.

Stats
No research/publications

There are fm programs doing primary sections?

There are fm programs doing primary sections?

Yes in order to train very rural physicians which is where I am ultimately looking to end up. Most jobs I am looking at currently require c-section training.

Thinking about switching to FM or IM. About to start transitional year. Will programs still consider me with a mild funding issue and not having applied to FM the first time? Steps in mid-upper 230s, lots of volunteering, little research. Want to go to Midwest region.

Possible to switch to spots throughout the year or have to wait until ERAS?

Thinking about switching to FM or IM. About to start transitional year. Will programs still consider me with a mild funding issue and not having applied to FM the first time? Steps in mid-upper 230s, lots of volunteering, little research. Want to go to Midwest region.

Possible to switch to spots throughout the year or have to wait until ERAS?
What specialty did you match to?

US MD at large midwest university.
Step 1 - 221.
Clerkships and courses - P for everything, always on the brink of NH/H but never close to failing.
Research - summer of research with a poster presentation between M1/M2. Lots more from undergrad.
Volunteering - sporadic stuff M1/M2.
2 LOR from fam docs. Still trying to get that 3rd, thanks covid.

I'd like to stay local to midwest if possible. I have my eye on a couple community programs with mission statements and other emphases that I really resonate with. WAMC? Thanks!

Not sure about the funding issue myself, but your application looks perfectly adequate for FM (aside from obviously the red flag of switching to FM late). The other issue is that FM programs highly value perceived interest in the specialty - if you are "switching to" FM I assume you don't have much on your CV to support a continued interest in the specialty. So you need to make sure to highlight what got you into FM, get LORs that are FM-specific and at least one from an FM doc, and have activities/experiences related to FM on your CV to show you know what you're getting into.

Regarding switching during the year vs waiting for ERAS - you signed a match contract that states that you will not leave your program in the first 45 days or else you get labeled as a match violator. This is bad and will hurt you in upcoming matches. You may be able to leave you program early and find a non-match position, but these are generally not desirable for various reasons. Aside from the match agreement, you also have to think about your program - if you don't finish out the year, you leave your PD and your coresidents hanging. You would probably not get a positive LOR from your PD if you don't finish the commitment you made, which will hurt you in finding another position. The best thing you can do is to reapply through ERAS.

Respectfully, the answer to this question actually matters. If you only matched a TY year, for instance, the advice will be completely different than if you also matched an advanced position in a completely different specialty with few similarities with FM. We can't give you good, specific advice without good, specific information.

Sorry for digging up an older thread, but how would one show this going into 3rd year? I don't have much from my pre-clinical years aside from ~40 hours volunteering at an underserved clinic and a summer of research at an urgent care. I'm a DO student with a 229 Step 1 and have a few FM programs close to home that I would love to get into.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

I'm a 4th year DO med student (US citizen too) applying to community family medicine residency. I have no red flags (board failures, failed classes or repeated years). I have pretty
low board scores 406 on Level 1 and 462 on Level 2.

How many programs would you apply to if you were in my position? Looking specifically for community family med (location doesn't really matter)

Thank you!

Hi,

I'm a 4th year DO med student (US citizen too) applying to community family medicine residency. I have no red flags (board failures, failed classes or repeated years). I have pretty
low board scores 406 on Level 1 and 462 on Level 2.

How many programs would you apply to if you were in my position? Looking specifically for community family med (location doesn't really matter)

Thank you!
70 because I am a risk-averse individual. But I think 50 should be good enough to land you a spot somewhere.

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on many programs I should be applying to.
COMLEX I & II: 550+ & 500+
STEP 1&2CK: 220+ & 240+
PE: Fail (scheduled retake in December)
Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for advice on many programs I should be applying to.
COMLEX I & II: 550+ & 500+
STEP 1&2CK: 220+ & 240+
PE: Fail (scheduled retake in December)
Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Aren't they waiving CS/PE this year?

You should be ok with 50+... If it wasn't for that PE failure, 30 would have been fine

Aren't they waiving CS/PE this year?

You should be ok with 50+... If it wasn't for that PE failure, 30 would have been fine
CS yes. PE waived for graduation but we apparently need to take it during intern year.
So for PE it's purposefully vague. NBOME is trying their best to not let thi$ go.

Hi everyone. I'm looking for advice on how many to apply to. I would prefer unopposed programs, but would rather match than not. So, not I'm not that picky.

Comlex 1 and 2: 460-480s.
PE: Not taken. Scheduled for January?
No fails in pre-clinical years, though most of my grades are Cs.
Passed all of my clerkships. Mostly HP and H besides 3 Passes.
3 LORs. 1 FM, 1 FM from the chair of my school for FM, and 1 Gastroenterologist.
Geographically located in the Southeast.
So, I guess no red flags.
Any recommendations?

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on where to apply to. I did not match last year, and I'm really stressed as I think my chance of matching is low this year. I took COMLEX, no USMLE. I passed on the second attempt for level 1 (483), I took level 2 (CE) five times (finally passed with 510), and (PE) passed on the first attempt, level 3 passed on the first attempt (564). I have 4 LORs and passed all my clerkships. I know multiple attempts at level 2 will get flagged during the application process, and I don't know what else I can do to boost my chance of matching. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

I need some advice on where to apply to. I did not match last year, and I'm really stressed as I think my chance of matching is low this year. I took COMLEX, no USMLE. I passed on the second attempt for level 1 (483), I took level 2 (CE) five times (finally passed with 510), and (PE) passed on the first attempt, level 3 passed on the first attempt (564). I have 4 LORs and passed all my clerkships. I know multiple attempts at level 2 will get flagged during the application process, and I don't know what else I can do to boost my chance of matching. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Apply to 250+ FM programs...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi Everyone,

I cant tell if this is serious or not. But if it is, apply everywhere.

Hello,

Asking for my cousin:

Currently 4th Yr Caribbean student
All Clerkships and rotations good grades

Some basic science research in undergrad and a poster on smoking cessation in medschool, nothing solid.

No research

Step1 :215
Step2: 220
Step 2 CS: not taken, but assuming exempt this year
Step 3 not taken
all pass on 1st attempt
US-IMG- US Citizen.

Chances for FM? Planning to apply 100+ programs
any chances in soap or scramble?

TY

Hello,

Asking for my cousin:

Currently 4th Yr Caribbean student
All Clerkships and rotations good grades

Some basic science research in undergrad and a poster on smoking cessation in medschool, nothing solid.

No research

Step1 :215
Step2: 220
Step 2 CS: not taken, but assuming exempt this year
Step 3 not taken
all pass on 1st attempt
US-IMG- US Citizen.

Chances for FM? Planning to apply 100+ programs
any chances in soap or scramble?

TY
You need to apply far and wide. Your scores are doing you no favors.

Desperate need of help.

DO student-Current third year
Step 1 232
COMLEX 1 560 something
NO LOR yet
I feel i am performing poorly on clinical rotations but SO FAR ok marks peds H, FM HP, not sure about IM yet maybe just a P
also to make matters worse, my FM rotation has already passed (it was not with an FM physician, and I feel i will not get a strong LOR)

No guidance from school
no clue how to set up fourth year rotations or what I should be doing right now (I need someone to point me in a direction for this, please someone help)
I HAVE NO FM MENTORS and need an FM letter-all programs require this. I have no letters at all.

Desperate need of help.

DO student-Current third year
Step 1 232
COMLEX 1 560 something
NO LOR yet
I feel i am performing poorly on clinical rotations but SO FAR ok marks peds H, FM HP, not sure about IM yet maybe just a P
also to make matters worse, my FM rotation has already passed (it was not with an FM physician, and I feel i will not get a strong LOR)

No guidance from school
no clue how to set up fourth year rotations or what I should be doing right now (I need someone to point me in a direction for this, please someone help)
I HAVE NO FM MENTORS and need an FM letter-all programs require this. I have no letters at all.
your scores are great. Do electives with FM, preferable residency based, as soon as you can!

For 4th year, you should be starting to look ASAP, some places (in non-COVID times) can start displaying their rotations and accepting applications as early as February. Identify places of interest for residency, and check VSAS for the rotation. HCA programs are on Clinician Nexus. If you don't see it on either, check the programs web page, and look for an away rotation or student tab. If none of those yield anything, email the PC to inquire.

oh and you should have a LOR from someone at your core clerkship site. If there's anyone who offered and seemed especially impressed by you during M3, get one! Worst case scenario is you get so many others you don't need it.

**I'm speaking as a DO M4 applying IM but trying to help.**

your scores are great. Do electives with FM, preferable residency based, as soon as you can!

For 4th year, you should be starting to look ASAP, some places (in non-COVID times) can start displaying their rotations and accepting applications as early as February. Identify places of interest for residency, and check VSAS for the rotation. HCA programs are on Clinician Nexus. If you don't see it on either, check the programs web page, and look for an away rotation or student tab. If none of those yield anything, email the PC to inquire.

oh and you should have a LOR from someone at your core clerkship site. If there's anyone who offered and seemed especially impressed by you during M3, get one! Worst case scenario is you get so many others you don't need it.

**I'm speaking as a DO M4 applying IM but trying to help.**
Do you mean that I should be looking for away rotations now in FM and applying for them? how? I can't do any away until june. Nobody has been impressed with me during M3. Certainly not enough to write a strong LOR.

Do you mean that I should be looking for away rotations now in FM and applying for them? how? I can't do any away until june. Nobody has been impressed with me during M3. Certainly not enough to write a strong LOR.
yes, but the rotations starting in June for the rest of the year open early. I said how to apply (VSAS, clinician nexus, program website in that order). Also some places may have June already listed cause that's kind of early. Also you may be able to do an M3 away elective although less common.

Sunshine is saying you have to start looking now for the rotations you'll be doing in June. I'm an M4 applying to IM and this is how I would approach finding rotations if I had to do it again:
1. Find new FM residencies that opened recently
2. Find former AOA programs that are now ACGME
3. Look for small community programs. E.g. Hospitals with only 2-3 residencies? FM and IM only? Score
4. Clinician Nexus
5. VSAS
In this order. #1 to #4 is the least likely to use VSAS. This is to ensure you get a rotation and a LOR/you get the maximum yield out of your applications. Send this list to your classmates as well. If VSAS is all you know when it comes to finding rotations, you're doing it wrong

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Sunshine is saying you have to start looking now for the rotations you'll be doing in June. I'm an M4 applying to IM and this is how I would approach finding rotations if I had to do it again:
3. Look for small community programs. E.g. Hospitals with only 2-3 residencies? FM and IM only? Score
4. Clinician Nexus
5. VSAS
In this order. #1 to #4 is the least likely to not use VSAS. This is to ensure you get a rotation and a LOR/you get the maximum yield out of your applications. Send this list to your classmates as well. If VSAS is all you know when it comes to finding rotations, you're doing it wrong
once I find them what do I do, Call them or email them? How long should I be looking to rotate at these places? How do I let them know that im in need of a LOR or will they assume?

4. Clinician Nexus
5. VSAS
In this order. #1 to #4 is the least likely to not use VSAS. This is to ensure you get a rotation and a LOR/you get the maximum yield out of your applications. Send this list to your classmates as well. If VSAS is all you know when it comes to finding rotations, you're doing it wrong
oh yes I also did 1-3 while making my residency app list. I was just trying to explain the actual mechanism of applying.

once I find them what do I do, Call them or email them? How long should I be looking to rotate at these places? How do I let them know that im in need of a LOR or will they assume?
1. VSAS, Clinician Nexus, student rotation page on program website instructions, default email PC if all else fails.
2. Usually 4 weeks
3. This is debated. Either at the start of the rotation or a couple weeks in once you feel everything out.

Looking now, There are barely any, near zero FM rotations in July-august in my area on VSAS OR clinical nexus. I am panicking.

Looking now, There are barely any, near zero FM rotations in July-august in my area on VSAS OR clinical nexus. I am panicking.
I don't know where you live, but I just looked and I see several in my state for June. Which is sometimes including at the end of the current year or the start of the next one depending on the hospital.

I don't know where you live, but I just looked and I see several in my state for June. Which is sometimes including at the end of the current year or the start of the next one depending on the hospital.
Thank you but are you referring to VSAS? Unless I am foolish I see virtually none for the whole country. It seems like they are all "first offering" around now, and "last offering" in like may of 2021?

Thank you but are you referring to VSAS? Unless I am foolish I see virtually none for the whole country. It seems like they are all "first offering" around now, and "last offering" in like may of 2021?
like I said, some end their student rotation calendar year in May, some in June. But I promise there are some in my state available to apply for June. There aren't any for July or august yet.

I do see some in florida. Should I apply to them or wait for the calendar to roll over? That is nowhere near me.

I do see some in florida. Should I apply to them or wait for the calendar to roll over? That is nowhere near me.
that is my state lol. only if you have interest in going to them/Florida for residency?

but otherwise keep an eye out for when places release their next rotation year schedule. Some release/can be applied to same day, some release 2-8 weeks ahead to browse before application. And the ones that go directly through the program rather than these app services can have a whole different first come first serve going on.

First step for you will be start working on a residency list so you know what programs you want to make the effort to look into. But also you're gonna need letters in time for ERAS. Plan on a normal 9/15 application release date assuming COVID settles down. So you need at least 3 letters and some good clinical experiences by then. (not sure the quality of yours, inpatient vs not, residency based vs not, also you said your core FM was with IM)

yep. Im melting down. doing my best though. What should I do? I feel like time is absolutely ripping by and I can't keep up with clinical rotations, much less all the administrative nonsense that I need to do.

Last edited:
Hello all I'm new here and need your help

non US IMG
Step1 :218 oof
Step2: 256
Step 2 CS: Canceled, thanks covid
Step 3 not taken
all pass on 1st attempt
yog:2017
1 LoR in FM and waiting for more rotations to get more LoRs (all canceled, thanks covid)

Chances for FM? planing to get more usce this year and applying in 2022
Thank you

Hello all I'm new here and need your help

non US IMG
Step1 :218 oof
Step2: 256
Step 2 CS: Canceled, thanks covid
Step 3 not taken
all pass on 1st attempt
yog:2017
1 LoR in FM and waiting for more rotations to get more LoRs (all canceled, thanks covid)

Chances for FM? planing to get more usce this year and applying in 2022
Thank you
Chances are good if you apply to 200+ programs

DO student here applying to both AOA and ACGME residencies.
Level 1: 558
Level 2: 686
PE: Pass first attempt
Step1: 230
Step2: 251
Mostly HP clerkship grades with Honors in Family Med, Peds & Psych. Top quartile of my class.
Varied volunteer experience, 1 research project.
Planning to apply to 20 programs. Should I be applying to more?
I think so

DO student here applying to both AOA and ACGME residencies.
Level 1: 558
Level 2: 686
PE: Pass first attempt
Step1: 230
Step2: 251
Mostly HP clerkship grades with Honors in Family Med, Peds & Psych. Top quartile of my class.
Varied volunteer experience, 1 research project.
Planning to apply to 20 programs. Should I be applying to more?
I would apply to 35-40...

... yall are playing, right?
I am not... I graduated from a US MD... Applied to ~80 IM programs and my step1 was ~220 and step2 was in the mid 220s. Most of them were community and low tier university programs. I am a risk averse individual.

I remember my advisor told me that 40 programs (1/2 community and 1/2 low tier university) was more than enough, but I did not want to take any chance. I did cancel a few invites at the end. Better be safe in this process.

IM is not FM. I'm a US MD with worse step 1 than you, applied to 20-25 FM programs and was more than comfortable - ended up cancelling/declining a number of interviews. Short of major red flags, ~20 FM programs is plenty for a US MD/DO.

ETA: Data shows the point of diminishing returns for FM applicants is ~20 programs for US MDs, ~25 for a DO, even for low scoring applicants: Apply Smart: Data to Consider When Applying to Residency

This. Also applied to +30 programs last year with stats worse than the ones quoted above and I got too many offers.

Also that post was from 2017, so no idea why people are talking about it anyway...

Just for other people in a similar to position to the last commenter, there is very robust data on this. 238 DO Seniors applied to FM between 2016-2020 with a Step 1 >220 and a Step 2 >230. You know how many did not match? 2. TWO people didn't match out of 238, and both had a Step 1 of 220-229. This commenter had >230 Step 1 and >250 Step 2. With a Step 1 >230, 141 out of 141 DO seniors matched in 2016-2020. I mean heck, the match rate for DO seniors with a Step 1 of less than 200 is 95% (n = 39). So I would comfortably say that as long as OP doesn't cuss out his all of interviewers, he has a greater than 999 in 1000 chance of matching FM. With that being said....

1613957877014.png

The cost of not matching is so great, why not throw out 40 apps? Worst that happens is you have to turn down some interview requests if you get totally overwhelmed. The extra $460 on ERAS you will spend on 40 versus 20 apps is some of the cheapest insurance you can get for a conservative $7.5 million of lifetime earns lost if you don't match.

Reactions: 3 users
Help please! WAMC

DO student
Repeated a school year & LOA - 6 year student
Failed Comlex 39x. Remediated 48x
Level 2 CE 48x
Am low in confidence :( Scheduling 5 sub-i rotations at various programs to increase my chances

Any specific programs you suggest I apply to? What advice do you have?

Last edited:
Help please! WAMC

DO student
Repeated a school year & LOA - 6 year student
Failed Comlex 39x. Remediated 48x
Am low in confidence :( Scheduling 5 sub-i rotations at various programs to increase my chances

Any specific programs you suggest I apply to? What advice do you have?
You need to apply to 200+ programs. Not the time to try to save a few hundred bucks

You need to apply to 200+ programs. Not the time to try to save a few hundred bucks

Contrary to the discussion above, I do agree here.

Had a friend who was held back a year in a very messy situation. Had that and a couple other red flags going against him. He applied to about +100 programs this year and got three FM interviews. Thank the stars he matched though, so there is indeed hope.

Reactions: 2 users