MD WAMC + School list: Re-Applicant 2.99 sGPA with Post-bacc/ 511MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrMontyBean

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am a Reapplying this cycle (2 times if you count 2020 w/ cancelled MCAT). Had serious financial, familial, mental health issues in college, and barely graduated.

After Graduation I was diagnosed started treated for ADHD/Learning disability. I applied in 2021 with 506 MCAT and was still working on my Post-bacc classes got Pre-II hold at 1 school. since then, I have 2 years of Clinical Research experience @ 2 STS programs (w/ ASCO pub), 2 Years of Pharmacy Tech experience, Tutoring and Volunteer with Refugees since high school (+Club Founder), undergrad research, Shadowing, EMT, Student gov, etc. Retook MCAT got 511, LOR from 3 MDs and Post-bacc Prof, 2x Medical related supervisors. Working fulltime at regional Cancer Center in WA.

cGPA 3.1 sGPA 2.99 (see images for breakdown)
Mappd cGPA.png
Mappd sGPA.png
506 ->511 MCAT

I feel like I have changed enough in my App to give it another shot, although my "reinvention" is not super convincing. I called/emailed several schools to discuss GPA screens and cut-offs, but I don't know what else I can do at this point other than Pre-write Secondaries, get second pub, and take more units in the summer/fall (for reapplication next cycle)

Thanks,
(not yet)DrMontyBean

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't work as an EMT, I did some COVID-19 Clinical research after getting licensed.

I shadow a Dr everyday at work, but strictly shadowing shadowing I did 280 formal hours through a hospital program, and about 100 spread around at various clinics Pulm, Onc, and Optho and in OR Ortho Onc.

Live in WA.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
PNWU-COM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
UIWSOM
BCOM
TUNCOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
Orlando (new school)
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ATSU (both schools)
MU-COM
With your GPA you need to apply to many DO schools.
For MD you could try your 2 Washington state public schools.

You could receive interviews at some DO schools with your stats and I suggest these:
PNWU-COM
ICOM
RVU-Montana
Touro-Montana
UIWSOM
BCOM
TUNCOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
LMU-DCOM
Noorda-COM
KHSC-COM
Orlando (new school)
LUCOM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
LECOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
ATSU (both schools)
MU-COM
With your GPA you need to apply to many DO schools.
For MD you could try your 2 Washington state public schools.
What do you recommend doing to have a chance for MD?
MD will be difficult since schools may average your MCAT scores. You have already completed a post bacc and your sGPA and cGPA are low for MD schools. Your best chances are DO schools.

Updated to fit template:
  1. 2.99 sGPA 3.1 cGPA Breakdown in screenshots.
  2. (2021) 506 126/127/127/126 -> (2023) 511 126/125/129/131
  3. WA
  4. "White" (I'm not white, I'm middle eastern)
  5. CA State University uGrad and PostBacc
  6. 1000hrs pharm tech 4500hrs Clinical Research Coordinator Covid-19 and Sarcoma (at 2 different Centers)
  7. Undergrad Lab research (EvoBio) Oncology Clinical Trial Pub
  8. Shadowing
    1. 35hrs OrthoOnc OR
    2. 40hrs Pulm clinic
    3. 40hrs Oncology
    4. 40hrs Optho
    5. 280 at hospital program
      1. 80 ED
      2. 50 Pulm
      3. 50 Med Surg
      4. 50 L&D
      5. 50 Telemetry
  9. Tutoring Refugee Kids (virtual during COVID) and Organizing and giving Donations to Refugee families since Highschool. Volunteered at an NGO in Turkey for a Summer doing GIS mapping for resources in Syria.
  10. EMT Cert (not used), Public health Reserve Corp, Co-Founded a Student chapter for Syrian American Medical Society at my campus, Worked in an Adapted Kinesiology Gym for students with Disabilities, Student Government in college.
  11. Dad went to prison when I was 16/17, by Sophomore year of College I was basically homeless lived in a trap house near campus on food stamps (lifesaver). Severe depression ensued. Had ADHD and Learning Disability undiagnosed until after grad.
Mappd cGPA.png
Mappd sGPA.png

Hope this thread helps someone in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
Cross-check your list against the chapters of AMMSA. Given just demographic fit, you need to come up with a networking strategy, specially with the DO schools that have a significant Muslim community if you identify as such. There is an AMMSA chapter at PNWCOM and Touro CA, so connect with them for sure.

Read

Reactions: 1 users
Reviving this thread because I wanted to see if I am doing the right thing.

I am planning to take 18 Units of science classes this summer at a local CC which in theory should bring the GPA up.
cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.02
With the Post-bacc 33.4 units sGPA to 3.72

is this worth it to help me apply next cycle?

@Faha @Mr.Smile12 @Goro

Reviving this thread because I wanted to see if I am doing the right thing.

I am planning to take 18 Units of science classes this summer at a local CC which in theory should bring the GPA up.
cGPA 3.1 sGPA 3.02
With the Post-bacc 33.4 units sGPA to 3.72

is this worth it to help me apply next cycle?

@Faha @Mr.Smile12 @Goro
Yes