WAMC/School list (3.79 cGPA, 3.78 sGPA, 524 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koi2134

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. 3.79 cGPA | 3.78 sGPA
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. 524, 1 attempt
    2. 131 | 129 | 132 | 132
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. US
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. Cornell University
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. Volunteer
      1. ~100 hours hospice over 2 summers
    2. Non-volunteer
      1. ~1000 hours between a phlebotomy job and CNA job which took place over 4 semesters.
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. ~700 hours over 3 semesters, possible poster presentation, no publication
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. Just under 90 hours of shadowing divided between 2 primary care physicians.
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. ~250 hours | thrift store for the underserved, tutoring, various other miscellaneous volunteering
    2. ~200 hours | soup kitchen
Hello everyone, I'm applying next cycle (1 gap year) and am looking for some preliminary advice on school list as well as what to do over the summer. I reside in NJ, and so will obviously be applying to all of the NJ schools, but I would appreciate suggestions for others.

The stats above are locked in, but I am trying to decide between adding more research hours or more clinical over the summer. If I choose research, I will end up with about 1100 - 1300 research hours with a possibility of a poster or presentation at a school event. The research position would be in a completely different field than my other hours. Alternatively, I can get a clinical job and bring myself up to 1300-1500 hours while research stays at 700. In your opinion, which option will most increase my chances and in general which part of my profile is the weakest?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest these schools with your stats:
Your 4 NJ MD schools
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Rochester
New York Medical College
Boston University
Tufts
Dartmouth
Brown
Yale
Harvard
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Georgetown
U Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
Emory
Vanderbilt
Washington University (in St. Louis-almost a guaranteed interview with your stats)
Northwestern
U Michigan
Case Western
Cincinnati