WAMC/School List (516/3.72 cGPA/3.82 sGPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

uaena123

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
cGPA: 3.71 (Upward trend: 3.54->3.89)
sGPA: 3.82
MCAT: 516 (131/127/129/129)
Residency: MD
Ethnicity: Asian male
Undergraduate: UMD
Clinical Experience:
ER scribe: ~700 hours
Volunteer scribe/medical assistant at a nonprofit clinic for underserved patients (ongoing): 210 hours
Research Experience:
Two separate summers at the same basic research lab at NIH (collective ~1000 hours, no pubs, 1 poster)
In my second year in the NIH Post Bac Research Program in a molecular biology lab (No pubs yet, 2 posters)
Shadowing Experience:
Orthopedic Surgeon: 20 hours
Thinking of shifting some ER scribe hours over
Non-clinical Volunteering:
Prison tutor (virtual, ongoing): 50 hours
Volunteer middle school tutor: 50 hours
Food pantry (ongoing): 150 hours

I graduated undergrad in spring of 2022. This is my first application cycle. Looking to stay on the coasts or in cities if possible. I'm aiming for a final list of around 20-25 schools and would appreciate any advice trimming down or substituting. Thanks in advance.

School List:
Albany
Einstein
Boston
Rosalind Franklin
Hofstra
Drexel
Emory
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth
George Washington
Georgetown
Hackensack
Kaiser Permanente
Temple
New York Medical College
Long Island
NOVA
Ohio State
Vermont
Sidney Kimmel
Brown
Tufts
UCLA
Colorado
University of Illinois
UMD (in state)
Miami
Washington State
Wake Forest
UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

Keep working on the shadowing and non-clinical hours; maybe try to fit in a PCP for shadowing as well.

Amongst your list I'd remove Wash. State without any ties to WA; your service hours are also a bit low for the jesuits (Georgetown on this list).

Members don't see this ad :)
Remove Washington State since they admit very few non residents. You could add these schools:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Albany
Belmont
Rochester
Pittsburgh
St. Louis

I'd remove UCSF and UCLA. No need to spend precious time working on secondaries with lower yield potential especially OOS.

yeah remove Washington.

Remember, your secondaries will come as one large wave even if you're OOS. don't apply to places where you'll be wasting time trying to write a good secondary when you're statistically against the odds (unless you're really bored out of your mind and just want to write more essays).

What advice have you received from the OITE team about your pending application? Who will write your letters?
I have not consulted the OITE team about my application yet, I will look into it.
I have two very strong letters from my two research labs, a decent letter from a biochemistry professor, and two weaker letters from an inorganic professor and a history professor (I did very well in their classes and went to a couple office hours, but just didn't invest as much to develop a relationship). I've heard that clinical letters are generally not required, but I am prepared to ask a doctor from my volunteer clinic if needed. Unfortunately my academic letters are not as strong as I would have hoped, but at this point theres not much I can do being two years removed from undergrad.

Keep working on the shadowing and non-clinical hours; maybe try to fit in a PCP for shadowing as well.

Amongst your list I'd remove Wash. State without any ties to WA; your service hours are also a bit low for the jesuits (Georgetown on this list).
Remove Washington State since they admit very few non residents. You could add these schools:
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Albany
Belmont
Rochester
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Thank you!

I'd remove UCSF and UCLA. No need to spend precious time working on secondaries with lower yield potential especially OOS.

yeah remove Washington.

Remember, your secondaries will come as one large wave even if you're OOS. don't apply to places where you'll be wasting time trying to write a good secondary when you're statistically against the odds (unless you're really bored out of your mind and just want to write more essays).
I understand the concerns, but I have a lot of family and friends in California so I may just bite the bullet and take my chances for UCSF and UCLA. I will remove Washington though. Thank you!

Thank you all. I appreciate the advice.