WAMC/school list 3.8/518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

diamond82q

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I wanted to post my stats and school list to get some confirmation I'm applying in my league! Let me know if there's additional info you'd like or if there's too much identifying info. I am in my 4th year and applying in June, taking a gap year during app season.
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    cGPA: 3.8, sGPA: 3.7 ish by time of applying, slight upward trend especially during junior/senior year
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown
    March 2022 MCAT
    518 (128/130/130/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    MN resident
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    ORM Indian Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    T20 UC
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    100 hours - Research Associate at hospital ED working to enroll study patients
    150 hours- Supply Manager at a university-associated free clinic (not sure I can categorize this as clinical ?)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    >6000 hours paid part-time wet lab research- definitely the highlight of my application
    Unique Alzheimers research under a postdoc, publication will be in review by time of applying, no posters
    Will be transitioning to full-time during gap year
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    200 hours- Plastic surgery and Neurology shadowing
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    100 hours- mask making
    100 hours- running seminars on racial biases in Indian community
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    TA for two neurobiology courses
    Executive member in a neurotechnology club for 2 years- lots of education efforts, event organization, liaisoning with companies
    Was on undergrad research journal for 2 years
    I play tennis in a rec club lol
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    Equivalent of dean's list for most of college
  12. Anything else important

I'm mostly looking for advice on my school list, as I want to pare it down.
    School list: Baylor, BU, Brown, CW, Columbia, Cornell, Dartmouth, Duke, Einstein, Harvard, Hofstra, IU, Johns Hopkins, Kaiser, USC, Mayo, Mount Sinai, Northwestern, NYU, OSU, Penn State, UPenn, SLU, Stanford, Texas A and M, Texas Tech, Tufts, Tulane, U Chicago, UF, U Maryland, UCLA, UCSD, UCSF, U Mass, U Miami, U Mich, UNC Chapel Hill, UMN TC, U Pitt, USF, UT Austin, UT Southwestern, UVA, UW Madison, Vandy, WUSTL, Yale, Emory, Temple
Also, what are your thoughts on my chances for an MD/PhD?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Apologies guys, I accidentally uploaded the template instead of my answers! Everything is updated now

Reactions: 1 user
What activities address your service orientation competency? Hosting the seminars is more community advocacy. I can let mask making be service orientation given the pandemic, but you need some activity that brings you face to face with people in need, and not in the role of an expert.

What activities address your service orientation competency? Hosting the seminars is more community advocacy. I can let mask making be service orientation given the pandemic, but you need some activity that brings you face to face with people in need, and not in the role of an expert.
My fault for not expanding on this more, but my supply manager role is not just managing supplies but also speaking with patients about food needs (and giving out food), checking in patients, working with others to make sure medication and other items get to them, etc. So I'd say I get a fair amount of face to face with these patients.

My fault for not expanding on this more, but my supply manager role is not just managing supplies but also speaking with patients about food needs (and giving out food), checking in patients, working with others to make sure medication and other items get to them, etc. So I'd say I get a fair amount of face to face with these patients.
That's helpful. Itemize your hours with the client-facing activities from the back office activities.

Schools such as Boston University and St. Louis are looking for applicants that have many more hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering than you have. The Texas schools, U Florida, UCSD and UNC admit few non residents with no connection to the state. you should receive interviews from the other schools on your list.

Schools such as Boston University and St. Louis are looking for applicants that have many more hours of clinical and non clinical volunteering than you have. The Texas schools, U Florida, UCSD and UNC admit few non residents with no connection to the state. you should receive interviews from the other schools on your list.
Thanks! Would family ties in the area be a good enough reason for schools to consider me? I have a ton of family in TX

• Love
More than 6,000 hours of research. That's awesome!