WAMC/ School List 518/3.93

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajshjdfhkajsdhfjk

Reaction score
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 3.93
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. taken once, 518 (131/128/129/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. California
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. UCLA
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 175 hours hospital volunteering (with rec letter from volunteer program)
    2. 50 hours EMT ride along
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. about 800 hours undergraduate research. hopefully will have submitted for publication by the time of application, but I am not sure yet if this is possible
    2. minor in biomedical research, planning on emphasizing my passion for understanding the research that I am involved in
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 20 hours (Internal Medicine)
    2. am planning on doing more before applying, hopefully getting it up to about 40-50
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 50 hours at an animal shelter
    2. 100 hours volunteering for events with my sorority for Read Lead Achieve
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Sorority since Freshman year- Academics Committee
    2. American Cancer Society since Sophomore year
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans List every quarter
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. no gap year and studied abroad for a semester- not sure if this could explain my lower clinical hours
    2. have also been volunteering at hospitals since I was 14 so I am going to emphasize this on my app even though I can not include the hours from high school

Note: I will most likely be applying to almost all schools that are in big cities (or just cities period)- mostly on the west and east coast. Honestly I'm not interested in living in certain areas and that is kind of non-negotiable for me.

School List:
-Georgetown
-UCLA
-UCSD
-Stanford
-USC
-Duke
-Weill Cornell
-NYU long island
-UCI
-University of Rochester
-Pitt
-UMiami
-Albert Einstein
-Dartmouth
-Kaiser
-UMichigan
-Tulane
-Rosalind Franklin
-UC Davis

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews. Your clinical volunteering hours are adequate and it appears your shadowing hours will be adequate if you reach 40 hours. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Hofstra
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Pittsburgh
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
U Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Cincinnati
Kaiser
California University
The UCs
USC Keck
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)

Reactions: 1 user
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
    1. cGPA: 3.93 sGPA: 3.93
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown. Include all (non-voided) attempts.
    1. taken once, 518 (131/128/129/130)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
    1. California
  4. Ethnicity and/or race
    1. White
  5. Undergraduate institution or category
    1. UCLA
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
    1. 175 hours hospital volunteering (with rec letter from volunteer program)
    2. 50 hours EMT ride along
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. about 800 hours undergraduate research. hopefully will have submitted for publication by the time of application, but I am not sure yet if this is possible
    2. minor in biomedical research, planning on emphasizing my passion for understanding the research that I am involved in
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 20 hours (Internal Medicine)
    2. am planning on doing more before applying, hopefully getting it up to about 40-50
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 50 hours at an animal shelter
    2. 100 hours volunteering for events with my sorority for Read Lead Achieve
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Sorority since Freshman year- Academics Committee
    2. American Cancer Society since Sophomore year
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Deans List every quarter
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. no gap year and studied abroad for a semester- not sure if this could explain my lower clinical hours
    2. have also been volunteering at hospitals since I was 14 so I am going to emphasize this on my app even though I can not include the hours from high school

Note: I will most likely be applying to almost all schools that are in big cities (or just cities period)- mostly on the west and east coast. Honestly I'm not interested in living in certain areas and that is kind of non-negotiable for me.

School List:
-Georgetown
-UCLA
-UCSD
-Stanford
-USC
-Duke
-Weill Cornell
-NYU long island
-UCI
-University of Rochester
-Pitt
-UMiami
-Albert Einstein
-Dartmouth
-Kaiser
-UMichigan
-Tulane
-Rosalind Franklin
-UC Davis
What exactly did you do as part of Read Lead Achieve?

Agree with Faha in that your opportunities would be limited at some schools that emphasize service to underserved populations (on your list, notably Georgetown and Einstein).

Members don't see this ad :)
As noted, your clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours seem light/just sufficient (may need more details). You have very strong GPA/MCAT scores, so your hours ought to be commensurate to that level. Your competition likely has more hours and thus can express their purpose as physicians a bit better.

As noted, your clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours seem light/just sufficient (may need more details). You have very strong GPA/MCAT scores, so your hours ought to be commensurate to that level. Your competition likely has more hours and thus can express their purpose as physicians a bit better.
Do you think I should hold off on applying until next cycle until I can bring these hours up or is it even worth a shot to apply this cycle?

What exactly did you do as part of Read Lead Achieve?

Agree with Faha in that your opportunities would be limited at some schools that emphasize service to underserved populations (on your list, notably Georgetown and Einstein).
Do you think I should hold off on applying until next cycle until I can bring these hours up or is it even worth a shot to apply this cycle? Also for read lead achieve most of the hours revolved around raising money for the organization, however I did also have an elementry school student who I mentored.

Do you think I should hold off on applying until next cycle until I can bring these hours up or is it even worth a shot to apply this cycle? Also for read lead achieve most of the hours revolved around raising money for the organization, however I did also have an elementry school student who I mentored.
It is hard to continue "working" on an optimal application profile during the cycle, but your metrics will get you attention. Your mission fit with your school list will be key.

You could get better results with more hours, but it's hard to say without a full application about your current chances. Keep working through your cycle for possible updates pre-interview or later. As long as you are addressing obvious deficiencies, you should continue to be in a better position.

Check with schools before applying for feedback (they will clam up once you send in an application). Admissions professionals shouldn't outright tell you not to apply, so you want to get them to see possible roadblocks that could get in the way of an offer. We don't know the nuances of committee discussions or their rubrics.

I think that's up to you. You could get in this cycle (I actually got into 1 school with a worse GPA and worse hours completed than you), but its up to you to decide if you'd prefer to maximize your application for your 1st cycle.

I think that's up to you. You could get in this cycle (I actually got into 1 school with a worse GPA and worse hours completed than you), but its up to you to decide if you'd prefer to maximize your application for your 1st cycle.
May I ask which cycle you applied in and what school (or just what range of school (t30? t50?)) just trying to gauge my chances the best I can