WAMC / School list 3.39/3.31/518

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedTrader

Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You some state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state (Florida State admits only 3 to 4 per year).
I suggest these schools with your stats:
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
Belmont
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Kaiser
California University
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Roseman (when it opens)
Alice Walton (when it opens)
It would be a good idea to do a post bacc in the coming year in order to increase your GPA, in case you need to reapply next year.

You some state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state (Florida State admits only 3 to 4 per year).
I suggest these schools with your stats:
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Tulane
Belmont
Florida Atlantic
Florida International
Central Florida
USF Morsani
Miami
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Kaiser
California University
The UCs (except Riverside unless you are from that region)
USC Keck
Roseman (when it opens)
Alice Walton (when it opens)
It would be a good idea to do a post bacc in the coming year in order to increase your GPA, in case you need to reapply next year.
Thank you for the list, I'll take off FSU then. Any suggestions with how many credits I should take for a Post bacc? I have taken 190 credits during undergrad so I feel as if a year of courses wouldn't make much of a difference in my GPA. Thanks for the help!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the list, I'll take off FSU then. Any suggestions with how many credits I should take for a Post bacc? I have taken 190 credits during undergrad so I feel as if a year of courses wouldn't make much of a difference in my GPA. Thanks for the help!
The SUNYs also admit few non residents. If you can take 32 credits of undergraduate level science courses in the next year with a 3.7+ GPA it would help since you would have a whole year of good grades

The SUNYs also admit few non residents. If you can take 32 credits of undergraduate level science courses in the next year with a 3.7+ GPA it would help since you would have a whole year of good grades
Noted! Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated! based on my application would you recommend to apply this cycle? or focus on doing a post bacc and applying next cycle?

Noted! Thank you for the advice, it is much appreciated! based on my application would you recommend to apply this cycle? or focus on doing a post bacc and applying next cycle?
You can apply this cycle in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Reactions: 1 user
Im lost. Did I understand correctly that DO is off the table because you want to do surgery!?!?!

Im lost. Did I understand correctly that DO is off the table because you want to do surgery!?!?!
Yea, although possible, it is significantly more difficult to match, especially with Step 1 being Pass/Fail. Orthopedic Surgery shows a 83% match rate for MD vs. 50% for D.O. You also have to take into account most MD Residency programs have biased against D.O when matching so most matches are at D.O schools which is not necessarily a bad thing but severely limits freedom of location and to an extent reputation for fellowships with the biased against D.O.

I might be completely wrong and uneducated on the matter but when looking at the match rates and reading through the forums, that is what I've noticed. Originally I was planning to incorporate some D.O schools in my application but the match rates and forum posts pushed me away so in my opinion it would be more beneficial to work on my application over 2-3 years to go M.D as I will be practicing medicine for over 30-40 years than rush into things and save 2 years now to go D.O.

Correct me if Im wrong but that's what I've gathered from my personal research. I'd love to hear different stories/experiences as that would open the door for me but it doesn't look promising from what I've seen

@MedTrader take a look at the DO Match lists from this year.:

I'm most familiar with Texas, but our 3 Texas DO schools matched 3, 4 and 8 students to General Surgery respectively.
Stick to the more well established DO schools for better clinical rotations to support your goals for surgery, and include some DO schools on your list to increase your likelihood of admission without having to do an app cycle more than once.

You can apply this cycle in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Do you think it would be beneficial to take the UCB/UCSD Extension courses as DIY post bacc? the classes are online which would help me manage my job working full time and academic enhancement. As far as Im aware, the section and class #'s are the same as in person ones so there is no way to tell that they were online vs in-person? Furthermore, would you recommend taking classes this summer/fall/spring in order to prepare for failed cycle or should I hold off until I get cycle results? Truly appreciate the advice :)

Last edited:
Do you think it would be beneficial to take the UCB/UCSD Extension courses as DIY post bacc? the classes are online which would help me manage my job working full time and academic enhancement. As far as Im aware, the section and class #'s are the same as in person ones so there is no way to tell that they were online vs in-person? Furthermore, would you recommend taking classes this summer/fall/spring in order to prepare for failed cycle or should I hold off until I get cycle results? Truly appreciate the advice :)
There are a few schools that do not accept online courses. Take the courses summer/fall/spring in case you need to reapply.

There are a few schools that do not accept online courses. Take the courses summer/fall/spring in case you need to reapply.
What is the way to check which schools do not accept these courses? Thanks again!