WAMC School List (518, 3.70) CA Res

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

happyCAcamper

Reaction score
2023 Graduate applying 2024-2025 Cycle

1. 3.701 cGPA, 3.698 sGPA (possibility of a bit higher-- unsure if a few nutrition courses will count towards it) (cFresh--> cSen, 3.531, 3.804, 3.471, 3.937)
2. 518 MCAT (129, 130, 130, 129)
3. California Resident
4. White Female
5. Top 15 Undergrad
6. Clinical Experience
  • Medical Assistant at Pediatric clinic: 100 hours
  • Clinical Research Coordinator at a large research institution in pediatrics (mix of admin but strong clinical experiences as well): 1500 at time of application (3600 by matriculation--current FT job)
  • Volunteer: Art program in the hospital at bedside: 60 hours at application (225 at matriculation)
7. Research Experience
  • did an undergraduate research project for a year that resulted in a publication in a no name journal: 150 hours
  • Current CRC job doubles as research (see above): have contributed to writing protocols, executing study designs, and applying for grants. Have one publication in pre-pub, should have 2-3 more in pre-pub/pub by matriculation
8. Shadowing (about 40)
  • 12 with pediatric hospitalist
  • 5 with neonatologist
  • 12-16 with pediatric neurologist in the next month
  • about 6 informal with Primary Care Pediatrician at MA job
9. Volunteer
  • Healthcare Counselor for underserved community/students : 150 hours
  • Sports for the Visually Impaired: 100 hours
  • Bioengineering coach and mentor for high school students: 100 hours
10. Other paid employment/responsibilities
  • Camp Counselor at a family camp for alumni of my university (upward trend to leadership--ran a staff of 40 the last two years): 2750 hours (3 summers and about 9 months during the school year stretched over two years)
  • STEM coordinator and coding teacher at low-income elementary schools: 80 hours
  • Elementary math tutor: 50 hours
  • Inventory manager for a student run startup: 150 hours
  • Retail Employee: 400 hours
  • was the president of a womens group senior year and spent about 50 hours organizing a charity event that raised a few grand for planned parenthood.
11. Honors/Awards
  • For the summer camp:
    • 1st summer: staffer of the year and scholarship for school
    • 2nd summer: scholarship for school
    • 3rd summer: Most Valuable Staffer
12. LOR
  • 1 science professor medium
  • 1 science professor medium
  • 1 PI STRONG (also an MD)
  • 1 manager from camp STRONG
  • 1 non science professor eh
  • should I get another from my supervisor now who also offered? She's not an MD or PhD just a clin research manager.
Hello! Thank you for any insight you might be able to provide. I'm a bit nervous about EVERYTHING to be honest. My junior year I went abroad for a semester which I feel impacted my resume building a bit. I think I'll talk about my experiences at camp a lot in my secondaries, which was definitely a very meaningful experience and one I wholeheartedly do not regret. I'm a bit nervous about my other experiences however and want to put my best foot forward so I don't have to reapply next year. I definitely don't want to rely on my MCAT too much and find myself with no interviews. Goal is to apply to 27 schools for financial and burn-out reasons. Thank you!

UCLA
Georgetown
Univ of Colorado
Tufts
George Washington
UC Davis
Loma Linda
Rush Medical College
UCSD
Kaiser Permanente
Univ of Southern California
Stanford
UCSF
UC Irvine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Boston University
Univ of Michigan
Icahn at Mt Sinai
Univ of Cincinnati
Brown University
Harvard
Northwestern Univ
NYU Grossman
Weill Cornell
Columbia
Duke University

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Semester by semester GPAs are more helpful than the overall cumulative GPA trend.

I would check the AMCAS subject course list. I believe they would not count as science but health sciences (which are "all other").

Were you hired as a part-time or full-time employee of any schools where you worked?

Remove Rush since they expect far more non clinical hours than you have. I suggest adding these schools:
USF Morsani
Miami
Jefferson
Hofstra
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad :)
Semester by semester GPAs are more helpful than the overall cumulative GPA trend.

I would check the AMCAS subject course list. I believe they would not count as science but health sciences (which are "all other").

Were you hired as a part-time or full-time employee of any schools where you worked?
Hi! This is very helpful, thank you. Taking this into account:
3.53, 0.00 (2020 Sp), 3.80, 3.754, 3.333, 3.633, 4.000, 3.89

Junior year was a bit tough.

I was part-time at the elementary schools. It was an organization contracted by the schools. Is that what you're referring to?

Thanks again :)

Remove Rush since they expect far more non clinical hours than you have. I suggest adding these schools:
USF Morsani
Miami
Jefferson
Hofstra
Rochester
Pittsburgh
Western Michigan
Thank you for the advice!!!

I was part-time at the elementary schools. It was an organization contracted by the schools. Is that what you're referring to?
Thanks again :)
Okay... just make sure that it is described as such. A more dedicated commitment is always a bit better than just organizing one-off opportunities to tutor/teach students. Ideally, having a position for more than a full year will look like you are more invested in the students' educational and extracurricular challenges, and that usually comes with a commitment to teach.

I think on the surface, your LORs should fulfill requirements, but check with the schools you have high on your wishlist. California schools want to see your commitment to communities around their campuses and the diversity of the state through your community service and your own lived experiences growing up in California.