WAMC: 514, 3.96??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnightTalking

Reaction score
"PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE"

Hi all. I need help finding schools that I am mission fit for and in accordance w/ my stats. I put my school list below and am looking to pare it down by 10 schools. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
  1. cGPA: 3.97 sGPA: 3.98; double major in Biology and Art
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 514 (129, 126,130,129)
  3. State of residence: NY
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: State School
  6. Clinical experience
    1. Patient Care Coordinator at Major NYC Hospital
      1. 1000 hours, 2000 anticipated
        1. Varying OBGYN specialties (Maternal Fetal Medicine, gyn oncology, urogynecology, family planning, termination procedures, etc)
  7. Research experience and productivity
    1. Science Communications Manager for Ecology Lab on Campus
      1. SS Research Study. (1000 hours)
        1. Worked on a project in which we sought to determine whether art-based teaching materials like graphic novels, infographics, etc could lead to better retention, accuracy, and creative thinking than traditional lecture style in elementary aged children (Received a scholarship as someone who demonstrates significant academic merit while contributing to University's research efforts)
        2. This sector of the lab focuses on examining the impacts of science communication efforts (outreach and citizen science) on audience knowledge and perceptions of science in the context of ecology. As a whole, the team that I was allowed to create under my PI and grad student was meant to address the disconnect between science communication theory and practice and improve the accessibility of science to broader audiences. The majority of my time was spent creating a graphic novel for this NSF grant funded project and creating the assessments based on time spent with the target audience. Hundreds of copies printed and study is ongoing.
    2. Literature Review Fellowship on Injury Prevention
      1. 300 hours done through an SOM in my tri-state area
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. Shadowing
      1. 30 hours Internal Medicine
      2. 20 hour Emergency Medicine (Adult ED)
      3. 10 hours of Emergency Medicine (Pediatrics ED)
      4. 20 hours Operating Room (Cardiothoracic and general surgery)
    2. Clinical Volunteering
      1. 280 hours as a patient advocate at NYU
  9. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. 2000+ hours (does not include leadership hours)
      1. Started as a volunteer for one of the oldest clubs on campus and went on to be elected president (250+ members). Volunteered with soup kitchens, food pantries, and community gardens all four years of college
        1. Notable achievements as President of the club
          1. Initiated an annual Social Justice Potluck so that newer clubs with less resources and staff could learn each other's mission and share resources and staff with more experienced clubs. Started bc I realized a lot of us were trying to do the same thing but all faced the same limitations
          2. Restarted Food Recovery Program. This program really took a hit during COVID so after working with dining hall supervisors on campus, we were finally able to get the volunteer interest back and recovered 20k pounds of food each semester after its initiation
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Academic Coordinator for Minority Pre-Health Club (300 hours)
      1. Ran mentorship programs, medical student panels, personal statement writing workshops
    2. Success Coach (600 hours)
      1. Paid job during final 2 years of undergrad
      2. Helped undergrads struggling academically
    3. One of my gap year roles (the other one is the clinical experience ^^^)
      1. Program Coordinator who works directly with founders at nationally renowned nonprofit (1000 hours)
        1. Nonprofit aimed to bridge the gaps for URMs interested in medicine; Work w/ hospitals to create internship/shadowing programs, health science fairs, offer MCAT tutoring, etc
    4. Chem TA for 1 year
      1. 400 hours
      2. Organic Chem and General Chem
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Listed above but scholarship for lab and academic achievement/contribution
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. Strong writing per those who read my app; pre-writing secondaries soon; Service-focused as well as public policy/advocacy for underserved; main interest is MPH/MD combined degree
    2. Performed in a professional chorus (6500+ hours)
      1. Sang in churches, nursing homes, hospitals on weekly basis
      2. Sang w/ some renowned conductors in Carnegie Hall 6x and Lincoln Center for a feminist conference
      3. Back up singer for some celebrities (Demi, Idina Menzel, Aerosmith, etc)
    3. Strong Interest in Health Equity, Advocacy, and Policy
      1. Regular AMEC attendee
      2. SNMA member
      3. Regular intern in multiple diversity and equity programs run at college
    4. LORs
      1. 1 PI Sci Comm work, 1 from shadowing MD, 1 from graphic design professor, 1 from ED shadowing program coordinators, 1 from Research fellowship supervisor, 1 from notable MD in health equity through the nonprofit, and 1 from a second science professor
SCHOOL LIST:

1. Rush
  2. Albany Medical College
  3. SUNY Upstate
  4. MCW
  5. Indiana
  6. Temple
  7. Rosalind Franklin
  8. SUNY Downstate
  9. Buffalo
  10. Virginia Commonwealth
  11. Wake Forest
  12. UConn SOM
  13. UCLA
  14. UMD (additional ties to MD)
  15. Tufts
  16. Penn State
  17. Drexel
  18. East Virginia Medical School
  19. George Washington
  20. Georgetown
  21. Rochester
  22. Pittsburgh
  23. Ohio State
  24. UColorado
  25. Boston
  26. UCinncinati
  27. Hackensack
  28. Sidney Kimmel
  29. Creighton
  30. Rutgers
  31. UMass
  32. Albert Einstein (significant ties)
  33. Emory
  34. Dartmouth
  35. New York Medical College
  36. Stony Brook University
  37. Case Western
  38. Brown
  39. Icahn
  40. Hofstra
  41. Duke
  42. Weill Cornell Medicine (significant ties, faculty rec)
  43. NYULI
  44. UChicago (alumni rec)

Members don't see this ad.

What do you think is your purpose and mission fit? Are you specifically seeking combined MPH programs? What schools have other SNMA/MAPS members suggested?
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I prefer combined MPH programs but am open to regular MD programs as well as I know how competitive the process can be. In the past, MAPS members have suggested schools like Creighton, Tufts, Einstein, Brown, and Hackensack but I have to reach out again to see if that has changed as it has been several months.

As for my purpose, I would say I am driven by a passion for service, science communication, and fostering health equity, particularly for underserved communities. I hope to leverage my scientific knowledge, communication skills, and artistic background to improve health outcomes and dismantle healthcare access barriers. Through an MPH/MD dual degree, I plan to gain expertise in public health policy and clinical practice, integrating creative communication strategies to enhance patient education and contribute to organizations that bridge the gap between science and underserved communities.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. I prefer combined MPH programs but am open to regular MD programs as well as I know how competitive the process can be. In the past, MAPS members have suggested schools like Creighton, Tufts, Einstein, Brown, and Hackensack but I have to reach out again to see if that has changed as it has been several months.

As for my purpose, I would say I am driven by a passion for service, science communication, and fostering health equity, particularly for underserved communities. I hope to leverage my scientific knowledge, communication skills, and artistic background to improve health outcomes and dismantle healthcare access barriers. Through an MPH/MD dual degree, I plan to gain expertise in public health policy and clinical practice, integrating creative communication strategies to enhance patient education and contribute to organizations that bridge the gap between science and underserved communities.
Check schools on your list if they host an AHEC scholars program. Check your eligibility for NHSC or HPSP.

Check schools on your list if they host an AHEC scholars program. Check your eligibility for NHSC or HPSP.
Sorry, I am confused by your suggestions. I am applying this upcoming cycle - aren't the programs you mentioned gap year programs? I don't know too much about the programs mentioned so any detail as to why you offered what you said would be very helpful.

Sorry, I am confused by your suggestions. I am applying this upcoming cycle - aren't the programs you mentioned gap year programs? I don't know too much about the programs mentioned so any detail as to why you offered what you said would be very helpful.
They are not gap year programs.

They are not gap year programs.
Thank you for the link! I'm looking through the directory now and it seems like an incredible program for medical students. Should I be looking for AHEC linked to medical schools specifically? Because many of the ones I am seeing are linked to a specific state like "NY State AHEC"

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the link! I'm looking through the directory now and it seems like an incredible program for medical students. Should I be looking for AHEC linked to medical schools specifically? Because many of the ones I am seeing are linked to a specific state like "NY State AHEC"
AHEC's come in different structures. Some are supported by medical schools. Others are not but collaborate with medical schools. Generally all AHECs work regionally with their FQHCs, but see how amenable a school is to collaborating with their AHECs as part of their mission to serve their communities.

AHEC's come in different structures. Some are supported by medical schools. Others are not but collaborate with medical schools. Generally all AHECs work regionally with their FQHCs, but see how amenable a school is to collaborating with their AHECs as part of their mission to serve their communities.
As for how amenable the school is to this sort of collaboration, is this something that can be found on their website through some research or something you recommend me emailing about?

As for how amenable the school is to this sort of collaboration, is this something that can be found on their website through some research or something you recommend me emailing about?
Do the research. You have the starting points to determine your answers as it affects your school list.

Do the research. You have the starting points to determine your answers as it affects your school list.
Got it, thank you. Are there any schools as you view my list currently that you would not advise to apply to given my ECs and stats? Or any schools that I should also consider?

Got it, thank you. Are there any schools as you view my list currently that you would not advise to apply to given my ECs and stats? Or any schools that I should also consider?
I don't have your application and don't know you. It's best that you find the affinity to schools on your own rather than be told where to apply, even from AI bots. :)

I suggest these schools with your stats:
All 4 SUNYs
Hofstra
Einstein
Mount Sinai
New York Medical College
Albany
Rochester
Cornell
Hackensack
Vermont
Quinnipiac