WAMC 3.87/514

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cloudwind1112

Reaction score
Hello! I am applying in the upcoming cycle and am currently wrapping up my last year of my MPH. I'm looking for advice on anything I should improve on before May. I definitely feel like I am lacking in volunteering but would appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much!
  1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: cGPA 3.87, sGPA 3.83
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 514 (128/129/128/129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): California
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian, ORM
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: T10 in CA public health undergrad, currently doing MPH
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 100 hours hospital volunteering (administrative), projected 300 hours total with more patient facing duties
  7. Research experience and productivity: public health lab research - 2 posters at national conferences, 2 publications; honors thesis - 500 hrs; MPH capstone thesis projected to be published (750 hrs)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: 100 hrs in pediatric gastroenterology
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: disabled students program - 100 hrs
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): peer advising (150 hrs), biology tutor (leadership position - 500 hrs), data science tutor (350 hrs), public health internship program TA (200 hrs), graduate student instructor (600 hrs across two sems), intern at small biotech company (200 hrs)
  11. Relevant honors or awards: national merit scholarship, honors thesis
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: doing a certificate in health management during MPH program
I am not quite sure about which schools I want to apply to yet but some schools I am thinking about would be Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, BU, and Emory.

Members don't see this ad.

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 100 hours hospital volunteering (administrative), projected 300 hours total with more patient facing duties
The 100 hours administrative volunteering sounds like non-clinical. You should have some more clinical experience before applying.
Non-clinical volunteering: disabled students program - 100 hrs
You clearly need more non-clinical volunteering where you are involved with those who are less advantaged than you. At least 150, and more like 250.
Stanford, UCLA, UCSF, UCSD, BU, and Emory.
This list is clearly top heavy (I know it's incomplete). You'll need to use some resources to target schools appropriate to your MCAT / GPA. Like LizzyM, Wedgedawg, and especially MSAR. Others here will likely chime in with a school list, but you should investigate on your own.

You know you need more volunteering, so that's your main task in the next six months. Hopefully, you have time to do so. Don't apply if you have a substandard application. You deserve better. I know you already have a gap year but another isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: 1 user
With an MPH, I will assume you have had projects where you study underserved populations and access to health resources. I need to know what activities you did as part of your MPH and any that you did before going out separate from academic expectations.

Members don't see this ad :)
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)
Your relatively low clinical and non clinical hour will limit your chances for interviews.

Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser
California University
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Your relatively low clinical and non clinical hour will limit your chances for interviews.
Thank you for your comments! I was thinking of delaying and applying in 2025 to make my application a bit stronger but I would have to retake my MCAT because it would expire. In your experience is getting higher than a 514 doable with a retake? Thank you again!!!

With an MPH, I will assume you have had projects where you study underserved populations and access to health resources. I need to know what activities you did as part of your MPH and any that you did before going out separate from academic expectations.
During my degree I've done projects that study underserved populations but there isn't much in terms of getting out into the community which worries me (i.e. no tangible impact). Is this okay? My program really emphasizes health equity and it is a huge part of our curriculum.

Thank you for your comments! I was thinking of delaying and applying in 2025 to make my application a bit stronger but I would have to retake my MCAT because it would expire. In your experience is getting higher than a 514 doable with a retake? Thank you again!!!
It would be difficult to improve on a MCAT of 514. Also, 1 or 2 point increases do not matter and many schools average scores.

Vermont
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Belmont
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Kaiser
California University
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Why would he be recommended to apply to Quinnipiac when the OOS interview rate is under 4%? Same with Albany at 5% and NYMC at 4%. Seems a bit low over other alternatives perhaps?

I understand with his MCAT at Albany he would be able to pick off an interview but NYMC has a 515 OOS median

Last edited:
Why would he be recommended to apply to Quinnipiac when the OOS interview rate is under 4%? Same with Albany at 5% and NYMC at 4%. Seems a bit low over other alternatives perhaps?

I understand with his MCAT at Albany he would be able to pick off an interview but NYMC has a 515 OOS median
Those percentages are for all applicants (including those who do not complete secondaries or who decline interviews). Actual numbers who are offered interviews who accept interview invite would be more in the range of 7%.

Those percentages are for all applicants (including those who do not complete secondaries or who decline interviews). Actual numbers who are offered interviews who accept interview invite would be more in the range of 7%.
What do you think about the following schools for the applicant?

Colorado
Maryland
Miami
Cincinnati
Iowa
USC (Keck)
NYU Long Island