WAMC/School List 514/3.89

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boredjord

Reaction score
Hi! Looking for help with my school list and general thoughts on my chances. I applied almost 2 years ago (2022-2023 cycle) to only 7 schools and had one interview at Iowa, my state school. I had a post-rejection call with them and they told me my interview went well, they would've just like more clinical experience (I had basically none when I applied the first time).

Here's my info:
- 3.89 cGPA, around 3.8 sGPA
- 514 MCAT (129 C/P, 129 CARS, 128 P/S, 128 B/B)
- Iowa resident, been living in Illinois for a year now so will qualify for in-state there too
- White, lower middle class
- graduated undergrad in 2023 from Indiana University Bloomington with majors in psychology and neuroscience, a minor in french, and honors notation
- my main clinical experience comes from my current job as a scribe/personal assistant for an MD. I also have some advanced responsibilities beyond scribing. At the time of applying I'll have around 1100 hours.
- I have about 500 hours of research in a women's health centered lab. First author on a poster at a local research showcase for a summer scholarship
- 80 hours shadowing in primary care
- around 25 hours volunteering with senior citizens, ~25 miscellaneous hours through pre-med student org
- I was an exec member of the aforementioned student org, and led a committee that raised over $10k for the local children's hospital, as well as managed our finances
- I also have other work experience I'll be mentioning on my app - (admin assistant in a mental healthcare setting where I learned a lot about the business side of healthcare, and library employee in college)
- I'll have LORs from the physician I work for currently, my former PI, and my supervisor at my admin job. I also have some from science professors from my first time applying.

My school list:

Albany
Boston University
Florida Atlantic University
Rosalind Franklin
Kaiser
Northwestern (I know this is a reach but I know a few students there who encouraged me to apply)
Thomas Jefferson
U of Arizona, both campuses
UCLA
UCSF
U of Colorado
U of Connecticut
U of Illinois
U Iowa
U Massachusetts
U Miami
U Michigan
U Southern Florida
As well as a few DO schools

Any advice would be appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

Not Indiana?
You only qualify for instate in one state, so you’ll have to decide. Based on your first cycle you might want to think about using Iowa as your home since they showed interest in you and you have filled what they thought was a gap.
Your nonclinical volunteering is really low.
You have mostly public universities on your list. Did you check to see how OOS friendly they are.

I say add IUSM. You have an undergad from there (and I'm assuming some of your work and activity section includes thing done in Bloomington).

They also have no secondary. Worth adding imo.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
- around 25 hours volunteering with senior citizens
Welcome to the forums.

Was this in the same facility where you were working in a mental healthcare setting?

It has been previously raised that your community service/service orientation activities are low, which makes your application vulnerable to getting screened out.

Last edited:
You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state. Your lack of non clinical volunteering will limit your chances for interviews. You should accumulate another 125+ hours of non clinical volunteering (food bank, homeless shelter, etc. ) before you submit your application. I suggest these schools with your stats:
Iowa
Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
TCU
Belmont
NOVA MD
USF Morsani
Miami
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Alice Walton (when it opens)
Roseman (when it opens)
For DO schools I suggest these:
CCOM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
AZCOM
TUNCOM
PCOM
LECOM
NYITCOM
Touro-NY
CUSOM

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

Was this in the same facility where you were working in a mental healthcare setting?

It has been previously raised that your community service/service orientation activities are low, which makes your application vulnerable to getting screened out.
No, it was through an organization in Indiana that I was a part of in college. Based on these comments, I'm working to find some volunteering opportunities in chicago where I'm at now! Thanks for the comment.

No, it was through an organization in Indiana that I was a part of in college. Based on these comments, I'm working to find some volunteering opportunities in chicago where I'm at now! Thanks for the comment.
Good luck. You should have no problem finding opportunities around Chicago.

Not Indiana?
You only qualify for instate in one state, so you’ll have to decide. Based on your first cycle you might want to think about using Iowa as your home since they showed interest in you and you have filled what they thought was a gap.
Your nonclinical volunteering is really low.
You have mostly public universities on your list. Did you check to see how OOS friendly they are.
I didn't plan on applying to IU because I'm not an Indiana resident, and I know several students I went to undergrad with that aren't IN residents and didn't get interviews despite going to IU. I also don't love the way they do their campus selection. But maybe it's worth applying just to be thorough.

I agree I'll probably keep my residence in Iowa, but part of me wants to try Illinois because the med schools are pretty good here, and I really like living in Chicago. I'll decide soon! I'm volunteering around the area soon too :) Thanks for the reply!

Reactions: 1 users