WAMC & School List: 3.96 / 512

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

agt8at

Reaction score
  1. GPA: 3.96
  2. MCAT: 512
  3. State of residence: Virginia
  4. Race: white
  5. Undergraduate institution: University of Virginia
  6. Clinical experience (non-volunteer): 100 hours as personal care attendant for man with cerebral palsy; 200 hours as an EMT for a medical transport company; 1000 hours as medical assistant at derm office with 1000 more projected hours. Clinical experience (volunteer): 100 hours rooming pts / taking vitals at free clinic with 150 more projected hours.
  7. No current research experience :( only projected hours in upcoming gap year
  8. Shadowing experience: 40 hours with Mohs surgeon; 17 hours with plastic surgeon (clinic and OR); 18 hours with gynecologist (clinic and L&D); 11.5 hours with respiratory & critical care physician; 16 with gastroenterologist
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 35 hours with “Adopt-a-grandparent” program where you visit your assigned grandparent at the retirement home for an hour each week”; 100 hours with therapeutic riding program in which I was the program director for my university
  10. Other extracurricular activities: UVA horseback riding team (participated for 4 years; leadership: Vice President, merch chair, alumni chair); Hoos Connected (peer mentor program in which I facilitated discussions between first year students each week for 3 years); UVA in Valencia (I studied abroad in Valencia for a month one summer); Publications (I helped write two case reports, which have been submitted but not approved for publication - is it even worth including this in my app?)
  11. Gap year plans: 1000 more clinical hours as medical assistant for dermatology practice; 150 more clinical hours as volunteer at free clinic; roughly 50 research hours but haven't started yet
  12. Relevant honors or awards: just Dean’s list - I wasn't planning on putting this in my application, is that a bad idea?
  13. School list: I definitely need to shorten this list - I've currently picked these because they either match my stats or are an ideal location on the East Coast. I've also read all of the schools' mission statements but many of them sound pretty similar, so I'm struggling to rule some of these out. I also might need a reality check with some of the reach schools lol!

1. EVMS
  2. VCU
  3. GWU
  4. Quinnipiac
  5. Drexel
  6. Temple
  7. Penn State
  8. UV
  9. TJU
  10. Texas A&M
  11. Tulane
  12. WFU
  13. RFU
  14. Geisinger
  15. Loyola
  16. MCW
  17. Rush
  18. WMU
  19. Oakland
  20. Illinois
More of a reach (due to MCAT average and/or OOS public school)
  1. UVA
  2. FAU
  3. MUSC
  4. Texas A&M
  5. Tufts
  6. UCF
  7. Miami
  8. USC
  9. Nova
  10. TCU
  11. Emory
  12. Dartmouth
  13. OSU

Members don't see this ad.

You can remove Texas A&M and Geisinger since they admit few applicants with no connection to the state or region. Loyola and Rush are looking for applicants with many hundreds or thousands of hours of non clinical volunteering. Can you afford the non resident tuition at Illinois ?
You could add any of these schools:
UVA
West Virginia
TCU
NOVA
Belmont
Hackensack
Albany

Keep building your non-clinical volunteering. Consider adding opportunities such as food distribution, shelter volunteer, job/tax preparation, transportation services, and housing rehabilitation.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with Mr. Smile re: non-clinical volunteering.

About your list: Largely fine, though I would maybe consider removing MUSC as well (pretty big IS bias)