Wake Forest (WFUSM) Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Do you think we will hear anything from Wake before orientation? It has been eerily silent from them lately ...

I remember feeling much the same last summer. They'll let you know where to be and when to be there, but other than that, you can pretty much expect to get all your info at orientation. I do remember that they mailed out a sort of "first year survival guide" the week before school started. I dont know if they've already done this or not. However, as many of us were already moving, it didnt find its way to us until after school had started.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'm actually a little peeved that we have NO input into what computer we get. I confess, I'm a Mac user, and the idea of converting back to using Windows is highly distasteful to me, but I understand that software and networking, etc., is easier if it's all on one platform. So that's not even what REALLY gets my goat. What if I want a higher-quality computer? Or a brighter screen? Or a less expensive computer? Or a tablet, which would be AWESOME for taking notes on ppt slides? I guess I just wish we had some choice in the matter.

Relax relax. You can use whatever you want to, except for maybe on test days if they choose to use the computer based testing again because that software is loaded on the IBM computer given to you.

Downsides to using your own laptop: perhaps not having the same software loaded on your computer and IT support, other than that, use what you want. Most all students use the computer from the school. It gets the job done, has excellent IT support and it is seamlessly included in your tuition. Think of it like a nationalized health care plan, everyone gets the same thing like it or not.

Enjoyed this from National Public Radio last year ;-) all in fun.

http://marketplace.publicradio.org/display/web/2008/04/23/mac_users/

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So I've been hitting a few festivals this summer, and now I'm wondering if there is going to be a drug screen at any point... should I be concerned about certain fatty deposits?

No one has ever mentioned that they do and no one in my class that I know of has been subjected to this. But, it is kind of surprising given that most employers require some sort of screening at least to start out with. You would think health care professionals would have to go through the same stuff. Maybe during internship or something. But the school admin folks do check out posts on here from time to get a feel for the incoming class. So maybe now they will think about it. See you at the end of July :)

lol. point taken... only 19 days woo!

What about health insurance? Anybody received information about what the school offers, or do we wait until orientation?

https://www.uhcsr.com/SelfServiceSupport/Students/CollegeStudents.aspx#FindMySchoolPan

https://www.uhcsr.com/SelfServiceSupport/Students/CollegeHome.aspx

Try one of these links and search for Wake Forest, then choose school of medicine to get more details. Basically, the best deal is staying on your parents plan if you are young enough, if you are older/married and have to get you should do some shopping around.

If you are single, the premium is somewhere around 200$ a month, not the cheapest plan out there. But not bad.

If you are married, the student is still 200$, male or female, which is a steal for a woman of child bearing years since it covers maternity. Add a spouse to the plan though, male or female, and the cost shoots up to something like 500$+ per month. Kids are like 250$ plus per month for each kid. It is a complete rip off, perhaps even criminal :) But, no one ever said insurance companies where there to help you out, or save anyone money either.

If someone is in one of the latter scenarios (married, kids, etc) feel free to pm me for tips on cheaper insurance.

PS if you choose the school plan some day during orientation they will have you fill out a simple application and add it on your tuition. Don't have to pay up front, can take extra loan money for it, and everyone is covered no matter how poor your health may be.

https://www.uhcsr.com/SelfServiceSupport/Students/CollegeStudents.aspx#FindMySchoolPan

https://www.uhcsr.com/SelfServiceSupport/Students/CollegeHome.aspx

Try one of these links and search for Wake Forest, then choose school of medicine to get more details. Basically, the best deal is staying on your parents plan if you are young enough, if you are older/married and have to get you should do some shopping around.

If you are single, the premium is somewhere around 200$ a month, not the cheapest plan out there. But not bad.

If you are married, the student is still 200$, male or female, which is a steal for a woman of child bearing years since it covers maternity. Add a spouse to the plan though, male or female, and the cost shoots up to something like 500$+ per month. Kids are like 250$ plus per month for each kid. It is a complete rip off, perhaps even criminal :) But, no one ever said insurance companies where there to help you out, or save anyone money either.

If someone is in one of the latter scenarios (married, kids, etc) feel free to pm me for tips on cheaper insurance.

:eek:

I had looked online a few weeks ago and saw those numbers but was hoping I was wrong. That is an outrageous amount of money for healthy 20-somethings. I'm married so we're going to just shop around.

PS if you choose the school plan some day during orientation they will have you fill out a simple application and add it on your tuition. Don't have to pay up front, can take extra loan money for it, and everyone is covered no matter how poor your health may be.

Maybe that is why it's so high? Everybody pays big since everyone gets covered, regardless of health?

Just finished an application. :)

We've been with them, and we're really just changing states.

We use BCBSNC as well. You can find a plan that fits you and for much cheaper than the schools plan. There weren't really too many other options here for people seeking "private insurance" without being employed somewhere.

We use BCBSNC as well. You can find a plan that fits you and for much cheaper than the schools plan. There weren't really too many other options here for people seeking "private insurance" without being employed somewhere.

I've only put in an application...haven't agreed to the final terms and awaiting a bill. Hopefully, my wife will get a job that includes benefits! :xf: If not, we're definitely going with BCBSNC; it's ridiculous for a healthy couple to pay $600/month for health insurance, even if it does include maternity.

Yo, does anyone know when we get the disbursements from our financial aid? I called the office last week and they said during orientation. Is this when we actually recieve a check, or just when the money gets disbursed to our account, and then we get a "refund" later?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yo, does anyone know when we get the disbursements from our financial aid? I called the office last week and they said during orientation. Is this when we actually recieve a check, or just when the money gets disbursed to our account, and then we get a "refund" later?

I believe that this is how it happened last year. They told us that our refund checks were available to be picked up during orientation week.

Hey everyone. I just have a question for any current medical school students at Wake. Where do the majority of you guys find housing? Is there a particular apartment complex or a particular area of the city everyone lives in?

Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone. I just have a question for any current medical school students at Wake. Where do the majority of you guys find housing? Is there a particular apartment complex or a particular area of the city everyone lives in?

Thanks in advance.

Not really. Although many live in either Ardmore or the West End neighborhoods. Your best bet will be to read through the last couple years worth of threads for Wake Forest Class of 20XX and see what some other posts say to get a better idea about housing.

Wake has been kind of quiet lately. Will they send us more information about orientation soon? I saw in that online pre-enrollment guide some information about where to park and where to be but didn't know if I'm lacking some information, like should we have Wake emails by now?

Wake has been kind of quiet lately. Will they send us more information about orientation soon? I saw in that online pre-enrollment guide some information about where to park and where to be but didn't know if I'm lacking some information, like should we have Wake emails by now?

I remember from last year that basically we just knew where to show up and when for that first day. During that first meeting you receive a schedule for the rest of orientation. Kind of a drag that it is set up that way as it is nice to know more about what to expect, but it may be that they are still coordinating all the last minute details with all the different offices you have to go through and visit (ID cards, Student health, Financial Aid, etc, etc).

You get your computer and email accounts set up very early in orientation and wont get them before you show up.

Regardless of my ignorance of what's coming (and my irrational hatred of thinkpad computers), I'm totally pumped to get started. I feel like I've been spinning my wheels for over a year now, and it's time to get rolling.

I'll be coming back to town the night before orientation starts. Anyone want to meet up for drinks or dinner or something? If you're interested, PM me, I guess.

How is public transportation there? Does anyone take the bus to school?

Quick question... will we need any forms of ID other than our license for orientation, like a SScard? I'm asking because I misplaced mine and I am in the process of getting another.

Quick question... will we need any forms of ID other than our license for orientation, like a SScard? I'm asking because I misplaced mine and I am in the process of getting another.

I don't think so. You may need your SSN just for loan stuff...or something. I think you would only need your card if you were going to get paid by the school, and trust me, it is quite the opposite.

To current med students who drive to school - are you able to get away with street parking, or do you really need a parking pass if you're going to drive? I live 10-15 minutes away from the hospital, so walking is out of the question, and my bike was stolen years ago and I haven't replaced it (not to mention the fact that there's not a great bike route from my place to the school), so I pretty much have to drive, but I'd like to avoid paying $90/semester if I can.

To current med students who drive to school - are you able to get away with street parking, or do you really need a parking pass if you're going to drive? I live 10-15 minutes away from the hospital, so walking is out of the question, and my bike was stolen years ago and I haven't replaced it (not to mention the fact that there's not a great bike route from my place to the school), so I pretty much have to drive, but I'd like to avoid paying $90/semester if I can.

I dont know of anyone that parks in the neigborhood and walks. The neighborhoods have mostly narrow roads and many of them have "No Parking" signs posted within short walking distance. That's not to say it couldnt be done but it probably wouldn't be worth the time/hassle. Given that you can cancel your parking pass, and re-start it at any time, it'd probably be worth it to get one in the beginning, and if you find something you prefer, you can cancel it.
It really isnt that expensive, in fact, I thought it was only like $10/month, not $90/semester; but I could be wrong. It is also nice because between the 2 lots there is pretty much always a place to park, especially for 1st years who are consistently arriving early for anatomy labs. Most people opt for buying the parking pass and the majority of the rest get a ride, or walk/bike.

Hey guys,

I'll be starting at Wake Forest next year--was just wondering what you guys thought about the best places to live in Winston Salem. Any help would be awesome.

Hey all you demon deacons! I was just wondering if any of you would like to host a nice young lady on the night of Sept 17th, I have my interview on the 18th. Thanks for considering it!:)

Hello!

I was accepted to WFUSM last February via the Early Assurance Program for the entry of the Fall 2010. As ecstatic as I was upon receiving the letter of acceptance, I was wondering if anyone knew of possible housing opportunities in Ardmore neighborhoods of graduating seniors? Fortunately I have had some leads via realty websites - but would love input from anyone who is considered a "vet" of Winston. Also - any information regarding the best time to apply for scholarships? After having been accepted my junior year via the EAP, I've been put on hold awaiting for the selection process of the upcoming 2010 class. Let me know - I would appreciate any and all information.

Best,

rlpar118