Wake Forest (WFUSM) Class of 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone! My husband and I are moving to UVA for residency and we are looking to sell a few household items (and rent out our house actually). If any of you are moving to Winston before June 15 and are in need of something (washer/dryer, desk, house to rent) PM me and let me know. Thanks so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Here is a copy of Wake Forest's match list. The copy I have was missing some people so this isn't the complete list but it is as best as I can do. Enjoy.

Attachments

• Wake Match List 2009.pdf
    20.3 KB · Views: 365
Hey everyone!
First of all congratulations. I look forward to meeting you all next year. I'm now a second year at Wake and after living far away my first year, I just bought my first house about 5 min from the hospital and am looking for roomates. Everything is furnished the house is great and rent is only $400.00 a month. Even better is that you will be living with a recent first year survivor so books, notes, etc are at your disposal. If you want any more information just private me.
Congratulations again

Members don't see this ad :)
So I have read that Wake uses some PBL. What is that like? Good/Bad?

Having just finished first year, I can tell you about my experience in our CCL (case-based learning). I interviewed at a lot of schools and heard a lot of students at those schools complaining about how inefficient it was to spend time doing problem based learning. This has not been my experience at all at Wake. The vast majority of the cases that we did this year were very helpful in learning relatively complex disease processes. The majority were very well correlated with the basic science lectures that we were having at the same point, and thus did a pretty decent job reinforcing topics that were covered in class. At Wake, the main points of the case are standardized, so anyone that puts in a reasonable amount of effort will likely perform pretty well more often than not.
I can't speak for the CCL of the second year which is run a bit differently, but in first year I felt like I benefited significantly from the cases. The only variable that remains is that your experience will be greatly influenced by the faculty which work with you during the cases. Experiences in CCL will vary to some extent based on which facultly member facilitates your group. That being said, for the most part I felt that my own faciliatators did an excellent job at helping us learn without leaving us stranded and confused during the cases.
So that is a long-winded answer for you, PM me if you have more questions about this or anything else.

3. 1st year schedule - Human Structure & Development (Anatomy, Histology, Embryology) block is 12 weeks of lab (2-3 hrs/day, 3-4 days/wk), lecture (the rest of the morning on all of those days), and case-centered learning (2 hrs each on Mon and Fri)...you may have some extra lecture on Wed afternoon. Cellular & Subcellular Processes (Biochem, Immuno, Molecular Bio & Genetics, Micro, Basic Pharm, and Basic Path) block is 14 weeks of lecture (2-4 hrs/day, 4 days/wk) and case-centered learning (2 hrs each on Mon & Fri)...again, you may have some extra lecture on Wed afternoon. Systems Pathophysiology I (Neuroscience, Neurology, Psych & Derm) block is 7 weeks that are similar in time in class to HS&D. Throughout the first 2 blocks, you have Doctor-Patient Relationship and Physical Examination which alternate every week on either Tuesday or Thursday afternoon. You also have Being a Physician every other week on Thursday morning for the entire first 2 years.

Okay, so about the curriculum at Wake .... is there no designated block for "physiology"? Is basic physiology combined with each pathology topic?

Hey Guys!

So not being from the area at all...I was curious about some of the surroundings. I've heard the YMCA has a good gym, but does it have yoga classes, or does someone know a place that has yoga classes nearby? Also, are there dance studios in the area (maybe at the undergrad campus?).

Thanks!

Okay, so about the curriculum at Wake .... is there no designated block for "physiology"? Is basic physiology combined with each pathology topic?

The answer to both of your questions is yes. Basically everything is integrated in the curriculum. Depending on the block you will have a couple pathology and/or physiology classes any given week. It actually seems to make the most sense to do it this way as you move through whatever topic you are studying.

As to the last post about gyms and dance. The YMCA is very close to the school so many people go there, they also have student rates as well which are very reasonable. There are numerous other gyms in the area as well, it just happens to be closest and cheapest. There is also a dance studio about 100 yards from the student parking lot. There are other dance studios around town and the NC school of the Arts is here in Winston Salem with dance, music, drama, etc. http://www.ncarts.edu/dance/
So there is plenty in the arts arena as well.

I've been getting all that health screening stuff in order. Today, I had blood drawn to test for chickenpox (weird, right?), and I got another tetanus shot. Next week, I have to get a TB test, and then I think I'm done!

I've been getting all that health screening stuff in order. Today, I had blood drawn to test for chickenpox (weird, right?), and I got another tetanus shot. Next week, I have to get a TB test, and then I think I'm done!

Ditto. Me too. It's been good fun ;)

Do you know if we send all 4 health forms to "employee health services"? It only specifies on one of the forms ... but they all seem to have the same theme ... ???

Recent acceptee here. We are living in High Point right now, so it won't be a huge move for us. I am very excited to attend Wake Forest, and can't wait to meet my new classmates. I hope everyone has a good break, it is going to be here before we know it!

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email from Wake over the weekend asking me to go to my lender's website and take care of the MPN. My lender happens to be Citi and during the process, it tells me to contact my school before I can continue. So I have my school telling to go to the website, and a website telling me to go to my school? Has anyone taken care of this already and can explain it to me? I'll probably just end up contacting the school, but I feel like I'm missing something.

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew if orientation went from the 23rd all the way through the following friday? Or do you know where we can find an orientation schedule? Thanks !

Hey guys I was wondering if anyone knew if orientation went from the 23rd all the way through the following friday? Or do you know where we can find an orientation schedule? Thanks !

I am pretty sure it goes all the way through and classes start Aug. 3 (the following monday).

I am pretty sure it goes all the way through and classes start Aug. 3 (the following monday).

We also have fun things for y'all to do on the weekend during orientation, so get excited!

I received an email from Wake over the weekend asking me to go to my lender's website and take care of the MPN. My lender happens to be Citi and during the process, it tells me to contact my school before I can continue. So I have my school telling to go to the website, and a website telling me to go to my school? Has anyone taken care of this already and can explain it to me? I'll probably just end up contacting the school, but I feel like I'm missing something.

If you can change your lender, I would try to change to CFNC because you won't be charged the 1% origination fee that almost all other lenders charges. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

If you can change your lender, I would try to change to CFNC because you won't be charged the 1% origination fee that almost all other lenders charges. If you have any questions, feel free to send me a message.

I would agree. CFNC is the lender that many people in my class went with (or changed to) because of incentives.

I'll be honest, orientation week is pretty long and often tedious, but like someone else said, there are also a lot of fun things to do during that week of which you should take full advantage. Enjoy that week because you're going to "hit the ground running" the following week when you start dissecting the back of your cadavers (let the memorization begin!). It is also a fun week!

You will have to forgive me in advance for my ignorance in asking these questions. Thanks.
In block scheduling I understand that there is a week worths of tests at the end of each block. My question is what kind of examinations are these? How many are there? What other types of assessments are giving throughout the block if any? Thanks.

You will have to forgive me in advance for my ignorance in asking these questions. Thanks.
In block scheduling I understand that there is a week worths of tests at the end of each block. My question is what kind of examinations are these? How many are there? What other types of assessments are giving throughout the block if any? Thanks.

Maybe I can clarify. At the end of our anatomy block (called Human Structure and Development), for instance, we have a week in which we have 2 exams. The first is the actual anatomy final which is cumulative. The second is a midterm exam for our Physical exam course. Dr. Jackson "grades" you on your progress in developing your skills in half of the physical exam. It is very low-stress, and a few hours of practice will probably be sufficient. Although it appears on the schedule as being several days long, it is actually only 1 day. Before the Biochem block begins, we have a week in a family practice clinic (Community Practice Experience).

After the 2nd, Biochem, block, we have our Standardized Patient Assessment I which is like a final exam for our Physical Exam and Dr./Patient Relationship (patient interviewing) course. Again, it appears on the schedule for 3 days, but it is only 1 day for each student and it lasts about 1 hour. This requires more practice than did the midterm, but with sufficient practice the assessment is not too bad.

After the 3rd block, Systems Pathophysiology I, we have our Standardized Patient Assessment II which lasts 3 days long. It is similar to the case-style learning that you've been doing all year long by this point, but you handle it on your own and you must complete several assignments during these 3 days. Having completed this SPA II, it is 2 more weeks of Community Practice Experience, then Summer vacation!!!

I hope that helps, if you want more specifics, please PM me and I'll be glad to get back to you!

So all of you coming from out-of-state ... what are you doing about your vehicles? Do we need to get NC plates or register our vehicles in NC?

I think if you still have an address out of state you can keep your vehicle registered out of state- I hope so, as NC has these annoying inspections you have to do(none in my state)

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm leasing my vehicle right now so I suspect that switching everything will be an administrative-paperwork-red-tape pain in the butt :annoyed:

Just know that if you decide to register your car in NC, you will have to pay a stupid personal property tax on the vehicle. It's the biggest rip off, but unfortunately it's unavoidable for people from NC. For example, for a 2008 year vehicle that is worth $20k, you will pay approximately $250 a year. They do take depreciation into account, so every year you own your car the tax decreases since it's based on the value of your car.

Just know that if you decide to register your car in NC, you will have to pay a stupid personal property tax on the vehicle. It's the biggest rip off, but unfortunately it's unavoidable for people from NC. For example, for a 2008 year vehicle that is worth $20k, you will pay approximately $250 a year. They do take depreciation into account, so every year you own your car the tax decreases since it's based on the value of your car.

Seriously? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Who determines what the car is worth?

I've already been doing that in Arkansas. :(

Seriously? That's the craziest thing I've ever heard! Who determines what the car is worth?

It's a state mandated tax, but I believe the tax rates for personal property are set by the individual counties because I receive the bill directly from my county and submit my payment to the county. So I assume that the county determines the value of the car. My tax bill dropped like $50 this year since it was my second tax bill (2008 year car) and the most depreciation takes place in the first year of ownership. Each subsequent year I expect that the bill won't drop quite as much. The personal property tax is apparently because there isn't a highway use tax, but I'm not exactly sure.

Is anyone else getting really excited for this all to begin?

Except change little to lot.

True to your name! I'm a little worried too, mostly because so much time has went by since I actually had to work hard in school. Senior year was easy because I got my harder stuff done during sophomore/junior years because I knew interviews would cut into schoolwork.

Has anyone else moved to the area? My wife and I are settling in right now. I really like the area!

True to your name! I'm a little worried too, mostly because so much time has went by since I actually had to work hard in school. Senior year was easy because I got my harder stuff done during sophomore/junior years because I knew interviews would cut into schoolwork.

Has anyone else moved to the area? My wife and I are settling in right now. I really like the area!
My wife and I live right next door to you guys (town-wise) in High Point. We have been making frequent trips over to try and find a place to live without much success. Have you checked out the 'mountains' yet? There is some cool trails and scenery out that way (at least cool to us).

I probably won't see the outdoors much until that orientation camping trip. Winston-Salem is funny because it's good-sized, but you'd never know because there's so many trees and hills blocking your vision.

I know a lot of stuff is available, but these places may not fit your needs/wants. We looked several days before we settled on an apartment, and we're pretty happy with it. Are you looking for an apartment or house?

I'm in Raleigh for the summer, but my wife and I have lived in Winston for about a year already, and it is pretty nice. Boring and quiet, but nice. Oh, and for anyone interested in a more interesting town to go visit, I highly recommend checking out my hometown, Asheville. Especially if you're already in Winston and looking for something to do before school starts, it'd be a great time to go. It's about two hours west, it's in the mountains, there's tons of outdoorsy stuff to do (good river rafting/kayaking, hiking, biking, climbing, etc.), and the town itself is really cool. They've got a very lively, unique downtown area with tons of great independently owned restaurants and stores, and a lot of local artists and craftsmen. Plus, it's just beautiful. Check it out.

I probably won't see the outdoors much until that orientation camping trip. Winston-Salem is funny because it's good-sized, but you'd never know because there's so many trees and hills blocking your vision.

I know a lot of stuff is available, but these places may not fit your needs/wants. We looked several days before we settled on an apartment, and we're pretty happy with it. Are you looking for an apartment or house?
We are looking for either one, what did you choose and where?
I also second the Asheville suggestion.

So is there a general consensus that Ardmore and West End are the best places to live? What exactly encompasses West End?

So is there a general consensus that Ardmore and West End are the best places to live? What exactly encompasses West End?

By best places do you mean closest? Because that is what West End and Ardmore are, close. Other than that, they are old homes/apts that are hit or miss. If you want to walk to school each day, they are your only choices, if you have a ride you can find nicer areas to live in with in 10 minutes of school.

I think my roomate and I are getting a place in Bromley park, 2.2 miles from the school- Any opinions on this apartment complex?

Does anyone know anything about Wake's laptop policy? I think they allot money for a new laptop, but I got a laptop recently and would love to not have to take out loan money to just get another one.

Does anyone know when we will receive our tuition bill or if it has already been sent out? My mail is all messed up since I moved and I want to make sure that I didn't miss it.

@chemist

The laptop is given to us "free" along with a printer during orientation- No worries, they've already included it in our first years tuition

Its an IBM t400 series- good business productivity machine-8+ hours battery life. No bringing a charger to school!

Hi,
I've kind of been stalling on my acceptance at Wake in terms of finding housing, and my plan, if you could call it that, is to go to Winston maybe a week before orientation (July 12 ish?) and finding an apartment. Do you think this will be feasible? Any recommendations as to where to look for a single apartment close to school? Thanks a lot!

@chemist

The laptop is given to us "free" along with a printer during orientation- No worries, they've already included it in our first years tuition

Its an IBM t400 series- good business productivity machine-8+ hours battery life. No bringing a charger to school!

I'm actually a little peeved that we have NO input into what computer we get. I confess, I'm a Mac user, and the idea of converting back to using Windows is highly distasteful to me, but I understand that software and networking, etc., is easier if it's all on one platform. So that's not even what REALLY gets my goat. What if I want a higher-quality computer? Or a brighter screen? Or a less expensive computer? Or a tablet, which would be AWESOME for taking notes on ppt slides? I guess I just wish we had some choice in the matter.

I'm actually a little peeved that we have NO input into what computer we get. I confess, I'm a Mac user, and the idea of converting back to using Windows is highly distasteful to me, but I understand that software and networking, etc., is easier if it's all on one platform. So that's not even what REALLY gets my goat. What if I want a higher-quality computer? Or a brighter screen? Or a less expensive computer? Or a tablet, which would be AWESOME for taking notes on ppt slides? I guess I just wish we had some choice in the matter.

No need to worry about the computers. They aren't the most amazing ones out there, but they work pretty well for med school. Best of all, we have our own tech support with dedicated technicians which are always available to help with any computer issue you may have. Usually if you have a computer problem, you go in and they just swap out your hard drive and put it in a loner and they often fix your computer within a couple of hours. It is a huge benefit to have the same computer when you have such good tech support.

@chemist

Um yeah...you'll need your charger every day. Although they do give extended-life batteries, there is so much security software running on these laptops that they really dont last more than about 3 hours even with the most conservative settings. Other than that (and the long boot-up time) I have no major gripes about them.

Do you think we will hear anything from Wake before orientation? It has been eerily silent from them lately ...