Wake Forest Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Avalanche21 said:
Hello everyone, it's been a while.

I'm a bit sad to report that I will not be joining you guys at Wake in the fall as the class of 2010. That is the sad news (for me anyway). The good news is two-fold. First, I will be attending as the class of 2011. Second, this means that someone else will get pulled off the waitlist.

I didn't really want to defer, and it's not for some reason like "finding myself" or anything like that. But some things in life happen and people need me to be around next year, so I guess ya gotta do what you gotta do. Best wishes to everyone.

We'll see you next year! Take care :)

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats! Good to have a new... uh... screenname around. Best of luck with finding a place. Some of the guys on this board have had good, quick experiences, so they should be able to set you in the right direction...

DrThom said:
Hey guys

I'm on the committee which is planning your orientation but I want to let you in on something we're planning.

The night before orientation starts (July 23rd) the class of 2009 is going to host a mixer for you all so you can get a chance to get to know some of your classmates before you officially start. Its tentatively going to be held at Burke St. Pub. For a small cover charge ($3ish) there will be a couple kegs of beer and plenty of other beverages and lots of mingling w/ your future classmates. Does this sound good?

Our class did this last year and it was an excellent way to get started meeting people. I'll tell you that its better to meet people at 9PM at night than it is at 8AM in the morning. I highly recommend that you guys plan on coming out and having some good old fashion Wake Forest fun. Let me know what you guys think.

This sounds great. I was hoping to meet everyone helping you move i, but I'm gone for 10 days starting, umm now, and my weekends are booked solid until school starts. :( I can help you move if you are moving on a weekday!! PM me if you want help - until then I'm on the AT - later.

Members don't see this ad :)
Radagast said:
Hi everyone,

I just got pulled off the waitlist yesterday!!! I haven't gotten the email yet, so I have no information, but I'm definately going to say yes.

Does anyone have any tips on finding an apartment really fast? Sorry, I'm at work so I haven't had time to look and see if anyone's already asked this. Any help would be great. Anyone not moving to Winston-Salem until like a week before class?

Yay!

I found the WFUBMC "Available Housing" webpage to be a valuable resource.

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/School/Community/Available+Housing.htm

Happy hunting. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how 'cheap' it is to live in W-S.

MN81 said:
I found the WFUBMC "Available Housing" webpage to be a valuable resource.

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/School/Community/Available+Housing.htm

Happy hunting. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at how 'cheap' it is to live in W-S.

Thanks! I forgot about that.

I just got the letter in the mail today, and they want me to inform them in writing by tomorrow! I'm pretty sure a fax is ok, but do you think they want the $100 deposit by tomorrow too?

They'll probably be ok if you tell them it is in the mail (in the fax). Leave your contact info on the fax so they can let you know though. What is it about having two weeks that makes you use it? I knew the day I got in that I was going to accept the seat, but I still waited about 10 days to send the letters to the schools....

Well, at least it is JULY!!! The waiting is getting harder, but we are in the right month. I don't know what I would do if we didnt start until mid-August?

Radagast said:

I just got the letter in the mail today, and they want me to inform them in writing by tomorrow! I'm pretty sure a fax is ok, but do you think they want the $100 deposit by tomorrow too?

Radagast,

Congratulations on your acceptance... They are ok with faxing your response, but you will have to send them a check with the deposit. :)

Radagast said:

Congrats MN81 and ratagast,

If you guys are interested in housing, there are some apartments that I used to live at right up the street from the hospital that are pretty cheap. They are called Ardmore Terrace apartments, alot of graduate students live or have lived there and the rent is usually around $450.00 for a two bedroom (water and cable included) with a student discount. If interested, just google Wilson-Covington realty. Again, congrats on you guys getting. Ill see you in a few weeks.

I promise, this is the last time I will try and bug all of you.

If you can make it to help me move in on Friday, July 7th (preferrably in the morning and early afternoon) please PM me and I will give you the details.

Thanks!

I have been waiting for this moment for ONE YEAR...

I JUST GOT IN OFF THE WAITLIST TODAY!!! Woooooooo!!! I can't believe we start in 2.5 weeks though... I have to move out, find a place in W-S, and drive out there from California!! Not to mention the fact that I have 2.5 weeks to mentally prepare myself for something that I was NOT planning on doing this year!!

A HUGE thanks to everybody who's been giving me lots of support over these last few months, especially you, L02810K!! I can't believe this happened... I had really given up hope!

Can't wait to meet you all!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

Congrats CMar

Looking forward to seeing you in non-avatar form!

CMar830 said:
A HUGE thanks to everybody who's been giving me lots of support over these last few months, especially you, L02810K!! I can't believe this happened... I had really given up hope!

I had faith all along. Good to see you are finally over here. Also glad that you have not had to spend the last couple of months mentally preparing... trust me it gets boring. :sleep:

If you need any help, I'll be up there as of next Saturday and know a little from our two visits...

A little too much love on your post, so here's something to balance it...
:mad: :smuggrin: :eek: :(

Just Kidding!

Hey guys,
if anyone needs help either PM me (or if you are MN81 call my cell that I sent you when you get here)
Woohoo, prematric starts in 8 hours

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats CMar830! I am going to drive from CA too! I'm leaving July 15th. Where are you moving from?

Radagast said:
Congrats CMar830! I am going to drive from CA too! I'm leaving July 15th. Where are you moving from?

Hey!

I'm from San Francisco -- but... after realizing that I still have a lot to do to move out of my apartment and get ready to start school, I've decided not to drive. I'm going to have my car shipped out there instead. I'm going to miss the trip, but I think this will make my next week of preparation quite a bit less stressful.

Have lots of fun on the drive, and see you in W-S really soon!

And to all the other hopefuls on here: it really CAN happen in July! I hope I'm not the last on here to get an acceptance -- good luck!! :luck:

Congrats CMar!! :)

How was day #1 of the pre-matric program? I was not able to attend, but would love to hear any good info shared in the program.

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend - see you all in 2.5 weeks!! :)

Alegria said:
How was day #1 of the pre-matric program? I was not able to attend, but would love to hear any good info shared in the program.
It was fun to get to see our laptops, and most importantly meet cool people -- from our class and class of 2009.

Wake Forest, Class of 2010: Move-in Dates
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
CMar830 -- July 16th!
domer2006
gym102000 - july 10th, i think
Herman Bloom
jimsteele - Already There!!
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster - I'm already here
LO281OK -- July 15th :thumbup: Free Cookout and Drinks :thumbup: in Ardmore
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 6th or 7th
Multilocularis--scheduled arrival July 1st
newguy357
ting - July 21st

After incessant prodding by a certain classmate (ahem), I am reviving these lists with my info!

11 days!! :scared: :D

Wake Class of 2010 - Specialty Interests

2010WFUdoc - Peds neurology
Alegria - Endo? (where I work now - I love it, but I know that my mind will probably change millions of times)
Avalanche21 - ped. (general or specialized?), anesthesiology?
bachi
chalupa
CMar830 - ob/gyn, neuro, radiology
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
JrsyGirl114 - peds of some sort
LabMonster
LO281OK - rads, gas, ortho, path
MGatWake
MN81 - neonatology, peds, anesthesiology, oncology (all over the board)
Multilocularis - Interv. Cardio, GI, Urology, maybe Int. Rads
newguy357
SassyDoc - peds/dermatology
TheAmbientMan - Anesthesiology, Radiology

I might as well add mine too...

CMar830 said:
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
CMar830 -- July 16th!
domer2006
Herman Bloom
JrsyGirl114
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 6th or 7th
newguy357
superseif - I think I win the award for latest arrival... :) July 23rd... hehe
ting - July 21st

There we go!!

CMar830 said:

Alegria - Endo? (where I work now - I love it, but I know that my mind will probably change millions of times)
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
LabMonster
MGatWake
newguy357
TheAmbientMan - Anesthesiology, Radiology[
superseif - Anesthesiology, Surgery
/QUOTE]

bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
LabMonster
LO281OK - radiology, anesthesiology, orthopaedics, pathology
MGatWake
newguy357
TheAmbientMan - Anesthesiology, Radiology

All these Anesthesiology listings made me recall looking at the match lists for WF over the past few years. I noticed the high numbers of graduates going to Anesthesiology, especially those matching at WFUBMC. So evidently our school has a great Anesthesiology Department. Someone somewhere (don't remember who/where) commented that a lot of people chose the specialty after rotating through the department.

The review of the Radiology Department I read on scutwork.com seemed rather favorable as well. Does anyone have any other evidence of what we have to look forward to in terms of good departments/instructors? Any upperclass have favorites? :thumbup:

Anybody know if Sprint works well in W-S and North Carolina in general? It's what I have now... should I switch?

Just wanted to say welcome and congrats to all the new people on the Wake board! Looking forward to meeting everyone in two weeks or so :)

CMar830 said:
Anybody know if Sprint works well in W-S and North Carolina in general? It's what I have now... should I switch?

Hey! I've got sprint. It's a toss up if you get reception. Inside school, you get very little to no reception. I think I have one bar in the lecture halls, none in the small group rooms and 2-3 bars if I stand right by the entrance doors. Now one of my friends will get reception in room E-9 but very little. I don't get any reception to speak of when I'm in my apartment but I'll get reception at my friends houses. I know that when my contract is up, I'm gonna switch to Verizon simply because you can get a discount through the medical center. Hope this helps.

jllander said:
Hey! I've got sprint. It's a toss up if you get reception. Inside school, you get very little to no reception. I think I have one bar in the lecture halls, none in the small group rooms and 2-3 bars if I stand right by the entrance doors. Now one of my friends will get reception in room E-9 but very little. I don't get any reception to speak of when I'm in my apartment but I'll get reception at my friends houses. I know that when my contract is up, I'm gonna switch to Verizon simply because you can get a discount through the medical center. Hope this helps.

Verizon seems to be the only provider that works in my house and neighborhood, so I am probably going to switch-
How do you get the Verizon discount? Can you get a discount on a Verizon family plan (can my fiance and I both get the discount) or is it just for medical school students? Thanks ahead of time for any answers!

SassyDoc said:
Verizon seems to be the only provider that works in my house and neighborhood, so I am probably going to switch-
How do you get the Verizon discount? Can you get a discount on a Verizon family plan (can my fiance and I both get the discount) or is it just for medical school students? Thanks ahead of time for any answers!

I actually don't know how you get the discount. I imagine it has to do with showing your medical center ID. I also don't know if it will apply to a family plan or not. I was just gonna walk into a Verizon store and ask what the terms were. Sorry I can't be of more help.

SassyDoc said:

The discount is through Baptist Hospital (its an employee perk, like discounted movie tickets) and not the medical school so I think you can get a discounted family plan....I'm w/ Cingular so I don't know a whole lot more

Both my husband and I have Verizon and we love it. He is in law enforcement and has service on his cell phone even when his radio goes out of service. I worked at WFUBMC and had service inside of the hospital with Verizon. As far as the Verizon discount, there is a form you pick up at the hospital (although I don't know exactly where) and you fax it to Verizon. I know that School of Med and hospital employees get the discount, but I don't know about med students - I was planning to ask during orientation. Hope this helps. I can't believe we start in 2 weeks!! :)

Its been long since i wrote something here, but here I go!

CMar830 said:
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi july 20ish
chalupa
CMar830 -- July 16th!
domer2006
Herman Bloom
JrsyGirl114
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 6th or 7th
newguy357
superseif - I think I win the award for latest arrival... :) July 23rd... hehe
ting - July 21st

..and here!

CMar830 said:

bachi - surgery
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000
Herman Bloom
jimsteele
LabMonster
MGatWake
newguy357
TheAmbientMan - Anesthesiology, Radiology[

While we're on the topic... Does anyone know if cingular works well in Winston-Salem?

superseif said:
While we're on the topic... Does anyone know if cingular works well in Winston-Salem?

it seems to do alright - although cingular hasn't always been 100% for me anywhere.

superseif said:

Everywhere BUT the med school....although I get signal in the Fishbowl, its a little weird

DrThom said:
Everywhere BUT the med school....although I get signal in the Fishbowl, its a little weird

It's about the same with Verizon. I get a little reception in the classroom, just enough to interrupt lecture but not enough to actually take a call. There are A LOT of dead spots in Hanes and Watlington.

I was driving through Ardmore today and saw 2 "For Rent" signs - I wrote down the numbers in case anyone is still looking for a place. They were both houses (although they could be duplexes?). Anyway, here are the numbers - 336.788.1772 and 336.722.6133. I hope I wrote down the numbers correctly -I was trying to drive, read the signs and write the numbers down - safe driving practices. ;)

Hey!

Congrats to everyone coming to Wake! I just wanted to remind everyone about the pre-orientation campout hosted by the wilderness medicine club. You should have all recieved information about it - but I know how some of that stuff gets lost in the shuffle of moving etc. Its a great way to meet some of your classmates and some upperclassmen before orientation gets started! So stop unpacking for day or so and come have some fun!

It will be a low key campout at Hanging Rock State Park, which is about 45 minutes away from Winston. We will be leaving on Friday Jully 22nd from the Bowman Gray Statue in front of the med school. For all of the rest of the details and to RSVP just email me [email protected] as soon as possible!

Looking forward to meeting you all!

While we're on the topic of pre-orientation fun, I remember DrThom tentatively planning a get-together at a pub the night before orientation begins. Is this still a go on the 23rd? :thumbup:

Hey y'all! Just a reminder that we will be moving in Saturday. Anyone who can help will be rewarded with a free cookout! I currently have some ribeyes and porterhouse steaks, but if you want something else we can get it (i.e. chicken, veggie stuff, etc.). And of course free beer, or other drinks if you are so inclined...

Details: We are moving into a house in Ardmore close to the school. We are planning to get into town around noon. PM, email or call me if you would like to help. Tell me any food or drink preferences as well. Please include a phone # where I can reach you to verify when we arrive.

Cell #803-528-7789

Thanks!

Hello new friends, neighbors and classmates! It seems Wake finally got its act together and offered me an acceptance! I have been on vacation on a roadtrip and just got back to Jackson, WY. I was accepted on July 5th also! I am supposed to fly back to NC on the 21st, cutting it a bit close. I guess I need to change my flight to come back earlier :( .

Ha, ha who could have a sad face after being accepted to Wake? :)

registered user said:
Hello new friends, neighbors and classmates! It seems Wake finally got its act together and offered me an acceptance! I have been on vacation on a roadtrip and just got back to Jackson, WY. I was accepted on July 5th also! I am supposed to fly back to NC on the 21st, cutting it a bit close. I guess I need to change my flight to come back earlier :( .

Ha, ha who could have a sad face after being accepted to Wake? :)

Woooo! Congrats! Looks like July 5th was a big day for both of us :D

If you need any help throwing the stuff together that you need to get done for Wake, let me know, because I just had to do the same. I was a little worried there wouldn't be enough time to get it all done, but it actually wasn't so bad! The hardest thing was getting an appointment for a physical, but since you were originally planning on going to Drexel, you probably already have that done.

See you soon!

Hey, congrats guys! That's great news.

I think they've probably opened up my spot already...now I just need to call them cause the "deferred" option on AMCAS needs to be authorized I guess. Anyway, I'm sure you guys will give me lots of tips and info for next year, right? :D

Yeah, I'm overwhelmed. Right now I'm in Jackson Wy and I'm not supposed to fly back til july 21. It sounds like I'll actually be flying back this Friday, leaving the mountains behind :( . Gotta find a place for my lady and I. Anyone have any tips on where to look for nice apartments, condos, townhomes, houses for rent? Thanks for any and all help! See yous soon.

Random, yes, but it's really been intriguing me...

Am I the only single person in our class?? I swear that almost all of you have talked about wives, husbands, or fiances... :confused:

I guess that'll make the whole "concentrating on work" thing quite a bit easier, but jeesh!

registered user said:
Yeah, I'm overwhelmed. Right now I'm in Jackson Wy and I'm not supposed to fly back til july 21. It sounds like I'll actually be flying back this Friday, leaving the mountains behind :( . Gotta find a place for my lady and I. Anyone have any tips on where to look for nice apartments, condos, townhomes, houses for rent? Thanks for any and all help! See yous soon.

We found ours, in Ardmore, real close, here:

http://www1.wfubmc.edu/MDProgram/Housing/

One of the landlords I met didn't seem to do much in the way of maintaining the property and it showed. The others seemed really good. Definitely don't rent site unseen!! (Should be common sense, but bears repeating).

Medikit said:
It's about the same with Verizon. I get a little reception in the classroom, just enough to interrupt lecture but not enough to actually take a call. There are A LOT of dead spots in Hanes and Watlington.

There are tons of dead spots period in the piedmont area! One minute you have full bars, then you're in a low spot and your call is dropped...

I'll be able to help people move all next week. I'll be back from West Virginia Sunday night. PM me if you're interested.

CMar830 said:
Random, yes, but it's really been intriguing me...

Am I the only single person in our class?? I swear that almost all of you have talked about wives, husbands, or fiances... :confused:

I guess that'll make the whole "concentrating on work" thing quite a bit easier, but jeesh!

I've noticed that too. Strange. I'm not married, but I have a boyfriend. I guess I am sort of single!

Hey guys,
I'm not sure how many of yall have arrived, but I wanted to see if anyone wanted to go out tonight. I'm a second year, and I'm pretty sure we have a big crowd going out. I'm not sure where yet, but I thought I'd give yall the heads up. I'll post where we're going when we figure it out. It'll probably be a bar downtown, like Burke St, 6th and Vine, Foothills, Opera House (not downtown). I figured some people may want to get out and see the area, meet some people, etc. I'll let ya know.

-Philip

Howdy,

I just got an apartment last Tuesday on Piedmont Ave. I kind of procrastinated the situation since I accepted my position for the 2010 class back in April. Also, my parents are helping me to move in on Sunday.....so it I thought it would be a nice thing to have a place to move into (ha). Anways, I probably won't meet any of you guy until the 23rd. I'm moving in this week and finishing up my last week of work in Blackburg, VA (1.5-2 hrs away). I too have a girlfriend, but I guess I fall in similar situations as other people. I do plan on going to the bars on that Sunday with our class and the other classes. I'm really looking forward to meeting all you guys.

Cheers,

Ken