Wake Forest Class of 2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey everyone,

I just got in off the waitlist and will be making the trip from Wisconsin sometime mid-July. I'm ecstatic and am looking forward to meeting you all. Any tennis players on here?

Members don't see this ad.

ting said:
Hey everyone,

I just got in off the waitlist and will be making the trip from Wisconsin sometime mid-July. I'm ecstatic and am looking forward to meeting you all. Any tennis players on here?

Ting, congrats and welcome to our funhouse!
Wow, another cheesehead :) And a tennis player, too, awesome! We should hit at White tennis center, lit clay courts, need I say more?

ting said:
Hey everyone,

I am not great, never played in school or anything, but I play for recreation now that my life in team sports is in the rear-view mirror.

Would be happy to get whipped by someone who knows how to play.

By the way, the Vikings are going to destroy the Packers this year. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
MN81 said:
I am not great, never played in school or anything, but I play for recreation now that my life in team sports is in the rear-view mirror.

Would be happy to get whipped by someone who knows how to play.

By the way, the Vikings are going to destroy the Packers this year. :cool:
Packers? What Packers?

ting said:
Hey everyone,

I'd love to play! I was good in HS and College Intramurals, but haven't played in a while. I think we have enough for the occasional doubles match, too! :thumbup:

Multilocularis said:
Ting, congrats and welcome to our funhouse!
Wow, another cheesehead :) And a tennis player, too, awesome! We should hit at White tennis center, lit clay courts, need I say more?

Mmm...clay. Yeah, I'm looking to get back into playing regularly. I played a lot in high school but was pretty sporadic during undergrad. It'll be nice to be able to play outside for a few extra months without worrying too much about winter.

ting said:
I'm looking to get back into playing regularly.

Same here!! I was looking to play anywhere from 1-2x per week to 1-2x per month... depending on how school goes.

I would also like to workout, swim, run and maybe ride (road) if anyone is interested. I know it is easier to keep with it when you have a partner.

LO281OK said:
Same here!! I was looking to play anywhere from 1-2x per week to 1-2x per month... depending on how school goes.

I would also like to workout, swim, run and maybe ride (road) if anyone is interested. I know it is easier to keep with it when you have a partner.

Put me down for 2x/week schedule permitting :thumbup:

Alright, I really suck at tennis (I took lessons when I was about eight for one summer - never caught on to say the least). Anyone up for basketball or I even would like a little football scrimmage if there's enough interested. I've even got flags for up to eight per team since some people don't understand a friendly game of tackle (I hate playing with a headhunting clotheslining freak).

Multilocularis said:
Put me down for 2x/week schedule permitting :thumbup:

If you play anything like the guy in your avatar, then we'll have to play on clay! :laugh:

Is anyone here into biking? I'm planning on biking to the hospital and I live in west Winston-Salem about 6 or 7 miles away.

nachosbailarin said:
Is anyone here into biking? I'm planning on biking to the hospital and I live in west Winston-Salem about 6 or 7 miles away.

I like to ride. I just sold my best bike, but I have an older frame that I am going to fix up to ride. I will only be about 1/2 mile from the school, though.

The laptop comes with a DVD-R/W drive, but does it come with software to convert from MPEG to DVD? I have a MPEG capable camera and would like to be able to do this...

Members don't see this ad :)
LO281OK said:
If you play anything like the guy in your avatar, then we'll have to play on clay! :laugh:

LOL, clay is fine, as long as you don't look like this guy:

0610nadal_mrln.jpg

Multilocularis said:
LOL, clay is fine, as long as you don't look like this guy:

0610nadal_mrln.jpg

A reason to grow my hair out!! My wife has been resisting, but now I have lightning in a bottle!! :clap:

Congratulations 'CANES !!!!!!!!!

So I just got the "Survival Guide" from the school's Alumni Office. It is in a strange format with the page setup on Landscape and the text runs all down the left half of the page. This makes the document 73 pages long, rather than 30-something. I'm just annoyed that I am going to have to 1.) waste paper or B.) come up with a novel solution that will still leave the printed document with its own system for use... +pissed+

LO281OK said:
So I just got the "Survival Guide" from the school's Alumni Office. It is in a strange format with the page setup on Landscape and the text runs all down the left half of the page. This makes the document 73 pages long, rather than 30-something. I'm just annoyed that I am going to have to 1.) waste paper or B.) come up with a novel solution that will still leave the printed document with its own system for use... +pissed+

try changing the page setup?

LO281OK said:

lol.... I hear you :) There has to be a way to format it so it prints on like 30 pages or so... Hey the page setup thing does not work

superseif said:
lol.... I hear you :) There has to be a way to format it so it prints on like 30 pages or so... Hey the page setup thing does not work

It just makes all the pages overlap and screws all the formatting up...

LO281OK said:

It says at the bottom that we will recieve a printed copy- probably a pretty color brochure guessing from the formatting.

jimsteele said:
Alright, I really suck at tennis (I took lessons when I was about eight for one summer - never caught on to say the least). Anyone up for basketball or I even would like a little football scrimmage if there's enough interested. I've even got flags for up to eight per team since some people don't understand a friendly game of tackle (I hate playing with a headhunting clotheslining freak).

I Heart all sports. Played basketball in HS... Where would we play? The YMCA is near my place, but not sure if I will have a membership or not. I hear its tough to get onto the undergrad campus to do much athletic stuff.

By the way, for all the tennis talk. I drove past the courts at WFU. Very nice. They have their own little stadium.

Re: Football. I would be in for a friendly game.

Man, I just realized that I am going to be in Medical School next year as well, when will I have time for all of these pick-up games? Dang... Oh well...

LO281OK said:
It just makes all the pages overlap and screws all the formatting up...

I was one of the editors of the survival guide and there is really no way to get around all the screwiness in the word document...it'll look better when you get your paper copy.

ENJOY!

DrThom said:
I was one of the editors of the survival guide and there is really no way to get around all the screwiness in the word document...it'll look better when you get your paper copy.

ENJOY!

Working hard I see..... ;) ;)

MN81 said:
Man, I just realized that I am going to be in Medical School next year as well, when will I have time for all of these pick-up games?

Phase IB

jllander said:
Working hard I see..... ;) ;)

Yeah, well, I've discovered an activity more exciting than watching paint dry. Watching a thermal cycler... :(

DrThom said:

ENJOY!

So there didn't seem to be much dirt in the Survival Guide. Anything from the "unofficial" survival guide?

MN81 said:
I Heart all sports. Played basketball in HS... Where would we play? The YMCA is near my place, but not sure if I will have a membership or not. I hear its tough to get onto the undergrad campus to do much athletic stuff.

By the way, for all the tennis talk. I drove past the courts at WFU. Very nice. They have their own little stadium.

Re: Football. I would be in for a friendly game.

Man, I just realized that I am going to be in Medical School next year as well, when will I have time for all of these pick-up games? Dang... Oh well...

Hehe - I know how you feel. I'm wondering how I'm going to squeeze in the time to visit the boonies for a little hiking now and then.

My landlord has been a bit ambiguous as to when I will be able to move in. But I think it will be July 6th or 7th. I realize this is right when the Pre-Matric class starts, but if anybody is available and willing to help me move a truck load into my place on those days, I would really appreciate it. Send me a PM if you are interested. My place is about a mile from WFUBMC.

Gracias...

MN81 said:
My landlord has been a bit ambiguous as to when I will be able to move in. But I think it will be July 6th or 7th. I realize this is right when the Pre-Matric class starts, but if anybody is available and willing to help me move a truck load into my place on those days, I would really appreciate it. Send me a PM if you are interested. My place is about a mile from WFUBMC.

Gracias...

I would help you if I were there. Does that mean I get credit? You know, it's the thought that count ;)

As for us, we are probably having a baby this week (our 3rd) and will be moving in on July 15th (Saturday)!!

Anybody willing to help will be well fed (plans for steak, chicken, etc. on the grill) and showered with adoration (or free beer, whichever you choose). :thumbup: PM me if you're game!

Wake Forest, Class of 2010: Move-in Dates
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000 - july 10th, i think
Herman Bloom
jimsteele - Already There!!
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster - I'm already here
LO281OK -- July 15th :thumbup: Free Cookout and Drinks :thumbup: in Ardmore
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 6th or 7th
Multilocularis--scheduled arrival July 1st
newguy357

MN81 said:

Gracias...
I'll gladly help, it will have to be in the afternoon, after pre-matric class though.
I am coming July 1st, and I would also really appreciate a few extra hands.

LO281OK said:
I would help you if I were there. Does that mean I get credit? You know, it's the thought that count ;)

As for us, we are probably having a baby this week (our 3rd) and will be moving in on July 15th (Saturday)!!

Anybody willing to help will be well fed (plans for steak, chicken, etc. on the grill) and showered with adoration (or free beer, whichever you choose). :thumbup: PM me if you're game!

I would SO help and I would SO be there, but... a trip all the way to North Carolina would be a little silly without an acceptance ;) Have fun with your new little one!

Hello everyone, it's been a while.

I'm a bit sad to report that I will not be joining you guys at Wake in the fall as the class of 2010. That is the sad news (for me anyway). The good news is two-fold. First, I will be attending as the class of 2011. Second, this means that someone else will get pulled off the waitlist.

I didn't really want to defer, and it's not for some reason like "finding myself" or anything like that. But some things in life happen and people need me to be around next year, so I guess ya gotta do what you gotta do. Best wishes to everyone.

Avalanche21 said:
Hello everyone, it's been a while.

I'm a bit sad to report that I will not be joining you guys at Wake in the fall as the class of 2010. That is the sad news (for me anyway). The good news is two-fold. First, I will be attending as the class of 2011. Second, this means that someone else will get pulled off the waitlist.

I didn't really want to defer, and it's not for some reason like "finding myself" or anything like that. But some things in life happen and people need me to be around next year, so I guess ya gotta do what you gotta do. Best wishes to everyone.
Good luck with whatever it is you pursue!

Anybody know what there is to do on the Fourth of July in Winston-Salem?

Hey guys- Question about our schedule for next year--> Do we have any responsibilities during the summer session? I'm just wondering if we really have a couple months off, or if there is something we are supposed to be doing during that time (besides recovering from year 1 of med school, of course). Thanks for any input!

Also- I'm moving to town June 28th, and I'm doing the pre-matriculation program so I'll be around- I'll try to help out at some of the move-in parties :)

SassyDoc said:
Hey guys- Question about our schedule for next year--> Do we have any responsibilities during the summer session? I'm just wondering if we really have a couple months off, or if there is something we are supposed to be doing during that time (besides recovering from year 1 of med school, of course). Thanks for any input!

Also- I'm moving to town June 28th, and I'm doing the pre-matriculation program so I'll be around- I'll try to help out at some of the move-in parties :)

Technically, you have a full 3 months to yourself; no school responsibilities whatsoever. But if you ask people, they are reviewing the past year's material for Step 1. Also, the administration recommends you read up a bit on Cardio so you are prepared for Step 2B. But it's really low key. So far, I've read about 20 pages from my review books. Tee hee!

LO281OK said:
Wake Forest, Class of 2010: Move-in Dates
2010WFUdoc
Alegria
Avalanche21
bachi
chalupa
domer2006
gym102000 - july 10th, i think
Herman Bloom
jimsteele - Already There!!
JrsyGirl114
LabMonster - I'm already here
LO281OK -- July 15th :thumbup: Free Cookout and Drinks :thumbup: in Ardmore
MGatWake--July 14th.
MN81 - July 6th or 7th
Multilocularis--scheduled arrival July 1st
newguy357
ting - July 21

I just got back from W-S and officially have a place to live. It's pretty crazy that the management companies just give you the keys (with a small deposit) to the places you want to see. I feel like I could have walked out with a fridge if I really wanted to

Oh yeah! Here's a picture of our newest edition... :D

Attachments

• SDN_newaddn.jpg
    SDN_newaddn.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 136
MN81 said:

Gracias...

what is this pre-matriculation class?? is it mandatory? helpful? what is this??

bachi said:
what is this pre-matriculation class?? is it mandatory? helpful? what is this??

The pre-matriculation class is not mandatory. It is a way to get you familiar with Wake and the style of their curriculum. You get to meet a bunch of professors and make good friends with a bunch of people from your class. Is it helpful? Depends on how you look at it. If you feel like you aren't prepared for biochemistry, it won't really help. It isn't meant to be a refresher course; it's more of a social opportunity. Not everyone goes; I didn't mostly because I didn't have the time. But if you are in WS already, it's a good way to make some friends before school starts.

I just joined the Wake class thread. I'll be looking forward to seeing everyone in a few weeks. (can you believe it!!!) If anyone needs help moving, email me at [email protected] with the details. Ive been living in Winston for a few years, so Im here to give a helping hand as best as I can. I'll also be in the pre-matriculation program. I'll see you soon.

God Bless

Hey guys

I'm on the committee which is planning your orientation but I want to let you in on something we're planning.

The night before orientation starts (July 23rd) the class of 2009 is going to host a mixer for you all so you can get a chance to get to know some of your classmates before you officially start. Its tentatively going to be held at Burke St. Pub. For a small cover charge ($3ish) there will be a couple kegs of beer and plenty of other beverages and lots of mingling w/ your future classmates. Does this sound good?

Our class did this last year and it was an excellent way to get started meeting people. I'll tell you that its better to meet people at 9PM at night than it is at 8AM in the morning. I highly recommend that you guys plan on coming out and having some good old fashion Wake Forest fun. Let me know what you guys think.

DrThom said:
Hey guys

I'm on the committee which is planning your orientation ... Let me know what you guys think.

:thumbup: I'll be there. :thumbup:

Hi everyone,

I just got pulled off the waitlist yesterday!!! I haven't gotten the email yet, so I have no information, but I'm definately going to say yes.

Does anyone have any tips on finding an apartment really fast? Sorry, I'm at work so I haven't had time to look and see if anyone's already asked this. Any help would be great. Anyone not moving to Winston-Salem until like a week before class?

Yay!