Waitlist Support Group

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Why do schools even interview people they have no intention of accepting? Clearly if your MCAT is deficient, as well as your course work, they shouldn't have wasted your time and money by interviewing you in the first place.
Some state schools are required by statute to interview all IS applicants that meet some minimal criteria.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Some state schools are required by statute to interview all IS applicants that meet some minimal criteria.

They didn't interview all IS applicants even with stats above mine. I know that. They interviewed like 700 people out of some ungodly thousands of applications.

They also didn't get me my first round, only second and third even though my second/third stats were ever so slightly lower (which I didn't realize until today). Must have changed the criteria then?

They didn't interview all IS applicants even with stats above mine. I know that. They interviewed like 700 people out of some ungodly thousands of applications.

They also didn't get me my first round, only second and third even though my second/third stats were ever so slightly lower (which I didn't realize until today). Must have changed the criteria then?
I can barely understand my own state!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I can barely understand my own state!

In all fairness, I don't think anyone understands your state. :)

I've been to 46 states, I am not sure I understand any of them for any reason.

Hmmm, this raises many questions. Is this minimal criteria officially documented somewhere by the schools, or by AMCAS? Also, are medical schools in the University of California system obligated by such a statute - specifically schools that get most funding like UCSD, UCLA, and UCSF? What this may mean is that they may interview some candidates without any intent to accept and that would not be fair to candidates.

Hmmm, this raises many questions. Is this minimal criteria officially documented somewhere by the schools, or by AMCAS? Also, are medical schools in the University of California system obligated by such a statute - specifically schools that get most funding like UCSD, UCLA, and UCSF? What this may mean is that they may interview some candidates without any intent to accept and that would not be fair to candidates.
CA has no such statute.
States that do, set the criteria and it would be public information

@gyngyn Thank you for helping us all. Since you are part of admission in a CA school, I was wondering if you knew if UC Davis and UCLA waitlist had any future waitlist movement planned? I am trying to make my decison and get an apartment out of state and didn't want to wait anymore.

Thank you!

Recently sent an email to a school I'm waitlisted at, inquiring about the status of list movement. Got a reply back saying that the class is full and that I should consider their MS program.

I already have a master's.

Do these people even read our applications?

Reactions: 3 users
Recently sent an email to a school I'm waitlisted at, inquiring about the status of list movement. Got a reply back saying that the class is full and that I should consider their MS program.

I already have a master's.

Do these people even read our applications?

Honestly? I don't think they do.

Remember I was just told I don't have enough science courses. I have 38 separate courses (not credits, courses up to 500 level including a masters in science.)

I applied to one the first time and then never again because at the DO interview I was told that because I was transgender (and thus am not male nor female) and DO schools need a balanced class for OMM that DO schools cannot accept me. I have never had so much disrespect in my life as that interview. Never.
I'm cis, and I haven't been this angry in a long time after reading that. WTAF.

@gyngyn Thank you for helping us all. Since you are part of admission in a CA school, I was wondering if you knew if UC Davis and UCLA waitlist had any future waitlist movement planned? I am trying to make my decison and get an apartment out of state and didn't want to wait anymore.

Thank you!
I have seen movement at both these schools since May 15th, but not a lot. I imagine there will will be a few more adjustments, but it won't be much.

gyngyn: How often do you see or hear about waitlisting of a political nature? E.g. an applicant has a recommendation from prominent faculty, and they just waitlist the candidate to avoid controversy?

gyngyn: How often do you see or hear about waitlisting of a political nature? E.g. an applicant has a recommendation from prominent faculty, and they just waitlist the candidate to avoid controversy?
There are some interviews granted for "political" reasons but the committee is protected from blowback in my experience. Therefore they tend to make thoughtful choices regarding candidacy exclusive of the political ramifications of their decision.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well I have now officially hit submit on my AMCAS round four. Fun times. My whole three schools I can afford. Positive note, completely preparing for round five.

Reactions: 2 users
Got off my second top 20 waitlist this morning. Hang in there everybody..movement is still happening. :)

Reactions: 17 users
Well I have now officially hit submit on my AMCAS round four. Fun times. My whole three schools I can afford. Positive note, completely preparing for round five.

I wish you the best of luck. This process is so brutal and I'm very sorry to hear about the adversity and discrimination you have faced.

Make a kickstarter campaign! Or post on fiverrr. DIY FAP.

I wish you the best of luck. This process is so brutal and I'm very sorry to hear about the adversity and discrimination you have faced.

Make a kickstarter campaign! Or post on fiverrr. DIY FAP.

Thank you.

A friend has already said she wants to do the kickstarter but at the rate it is going it is going to have to be for round 5. Personally I liked the idea of gofundme more. ;) Similar thing to kickstarter but you always get the money. That is how I paid for some travel last year. Now that my AMCAS has been submitted, I am going to spend an hour or two a week developing a plan for round 5.

I think I was on fiverrr as an editor. I was also on freelancer as well.

@gyngyn ...and everyone else: I haven't heard back post-interview (waitlist?) from two CA schools. I have already sent them both one Update/LOI within the last month.

My sister is a brand new matriculant at School #1's undergrad program. My girlfriend just got into School #2's medical school (my top choice) and will be going there in the fall. Do you think there is any sense in sending a last-ditch LOI to either of the schools reaffirming my interest in attending the school specifically because of either of the above reasons?

I know I sound desperate. That's because I am.

@gyngyn ...and everyone else: I haven't heard back post-interview (waitlist?) from two CA schools. I have already sent them both one Update/LOI within the last month.

My sister is a brand new matriculant at School #1's undergrad program. My girlfriend just got into School #2's medical school (my top choice) and will be going there in the fall. Do you think there is any sense in sending a last-ditch LOI to either of the schools reaffirming my interest in attending the school specifically because of either of the above reasons?

Schools don't care that your sister is in the undergrad program, nor do schools do couple matches. I wouldn't even bother with this kind of update/LOI

It's a little late for LOI's to have any effect. Everyone has sent one. If the schools haven't contacted you, they may not have any positions to offer. Your sister's acceptance will have no effect on your chances at the medical school. Your GF's acceptance will have little effect on your candidacy, I'm afraid. PM me if you like.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a little late for LOI's to have any effect. Everyone has sent one. If the schools haven't contacted you, they may not have any positions to offer. Your sister's acceptance will have no effect on your chances at the medical school. Your GF's acceptance will have little effect on your candidacy, I'm afraid. PM me if you like.
Would updates be worth anything at this point?

Anyone else in the situation where your apartment lease is going to run out around the time you would make the move to your wait-listed school (assuming you get in)? I'm nervous that as soon as I sign my new lease, I'll get in or something haha... I honestly might not mind breaking the lease if it comes down to that, but whatever.

Hope to wake up to some happy posts here tomorrow :)

Good luck everyone, and remember, it's still June!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks

I spoke to my top choice right now and they told me my MCAT could use some improvement and that I need more upper level science courses. Despite the fact I have a masters of science degree and a bachelors of science. I am really confused.

they're ****ing idiots.

sorry for cursing.

What's funny is they've interviewed and waitlisted me TWICE after rejecting me my first round.

I am at the point of just laughing hysterically right now.

If insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result am I the insane one or is the committee?

You're probably not going to like what I'm about to say, but after reading all of your stats and your background, it seems to me that your best bet would be to not mention that you're trans. At all. You seem more than qualified. I know you are proud of who you are, but the one common denominator I've noticed is you being trans. Most likely, they can't give you a truthful answer, because if they did, all hell would break loose for them given the growing support in the US for the LGBT community. If you don't want to hide that, that's fine. But you're applying for the 4th time, and like you said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I'm not trying to start an argument here. I'm just staying my observation of your situation. Just my two cents.

You're probably not going to like what I'm about to say, but after reading all of your stats and your background, it seems to me that your best bet would be to not mention that you're trans. At all. You seem more than qualified. I know you are proud of who you are, but the one common denominator I've noticed is you being trans. Most likely, they can't give you a truthful answer, because if they did, all hell would break loose for them given the growing support in the US for the LGBT community. If you don't want to hide that, that's fine. But you're applying for the 4th time, and like you said, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. I'm not trying to start an argument here. I'm just staying my observation of your situation. Just my two cents.

For some schools, I know this was the case and I have generally not applied to them again.

When I spoke to one of the schools yesterday, she apparently already knew I was LGBT but said she wasn't sure if I mentioned it in the application and then actually went through it to make sure it was mentioned. I said "Oh it's mentioned believe me!" Then she said "Good." (If it wasn't mentioned how would she know?) Apparently as of this past year, they are recruiting for LGBT students, which I find a little hard to believe. They want LGBT students to run the LGBT clinic that is starting.

I also cannot easily hide the fact I am trans on my application since it asks for previous names and legal sex. My birth name is "Supergirlyname Aerospace" and I am legally F on most of my paperwork. I had to be very careful with my letters as most of my letter writers knew me as a woman. I might be able to take the focus off LGBT health in my personal statement but the fact I am trans is going to be on there one way or the other on my AMCAS.

Now I am having the surgeon who did my SRS (I also shadowed him too) to write a letter for me. At least he is not likely to screw up my pronouns.

@gyngyn if a school is over-enrolled at this point, would you say it's impossible to get off the waitlist before classes start?

@gyngyn if a school is over-enrolled at this point, would you say it's impossible to get off the waitlist before classes start?
It depends on how many are poached before orientation.
Significant over-enrollment at this point is not consistent with reaching the waitlist, though.

What's the drive behind WL movement at this point? It made a lot of sense that shuffling occurred immediately after May 15th because people with multiple acceptances had to commit to one school. Now, however, what's causing movement? People deferring (and thus a trickle down/shuffle effect at other schools)? Are there other reasons? There isn't much movement this year so the deferments alone might make sense but past years had enough movement that it seemed like more goes on in June/July/August than just deferment.

What's the drive behind WL movement at this point? It made a lot of sense that shuffling occurred immediately after May 15th because people with multiple acceptances had to commit to one school. Now, however, what's causing movement? People deferring (and thus a trickle down/shuffle effect at other schools)? Are there other reasons? There isn't much movement this year so the deferments alone might make sense but past years had enough movement that it seemed like more goes on in June/July/August than just deferment.
Some places give two weeks for the newly accepted to decide. We're seeing the result of some of that now.

You do not try to understand the Waitlist. Physicists have been trying for years to find the driving force behind it. No one has succeeded.

Reactions: 9 users
@gyngyn First off, thank you do much for your advice and infinite patience on this thread! I was wondering if you have heard any news with Cornell?