Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey guys,

I have been approved for Voc Rehab to pay for my medical school and have a question. Does anyone have any experience trying to take out student loans IN ADDITION to using Voc Rehab?

I'll be attending medical school in Washington DC which is extremely expensive. I'm concerned that the BAH payment won't be enough for me to live off of and am interested in taking out $15K a year of loans to offset the cost of living. I can only receive federal loans for the difference of the Cost of Attendance (COA) and what the VA is paying with Voc Rehab. The problem is that the COA for the school is ~$84,000 ($60,250 for tuition + $18,090 for living expenses + everything else = $84,091.50). I will receive 9 months of BAH at $2,312.00 = $20,808 + 60,250 for tuition = $81,058. If this is how the school calculates my eligibility for loans, I can only take out ~$84,000 - ~$81,000 = $3,000. I need more than that to support my family. Given that Voc Rehab disperses tuition payments directly to the university and BAH payments directly to the student, will the university only use the tuition compensation in their calculation? That would be ~$84,000 COA - $60,250 tuition reimbursement = $23,750 optional for Federal Loans. I hope someone can answer this! Thank you!

Did you have to get the regional director to sign off for the tuition amount? I've basically been told that anything over 50k annually has to be approved by the regional director and that they will basically only approve it if there is a compelling reason (for example it is the only school you got into). Thus I've pretty much ruled out applying to a lot of OOS schools b/c I don't want to fight with the region VR&E officer over why I would be better off at school X vs school Y.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys,

I have been approved for Voc Rehab to pay for my medical school and have a question. Does anyone have any experience trying to take out student loans IN ADDITION to using Voc Rehab?

I'll be attending medical school in Washington DC which is extremely expensive. I'm concerned that the BAH payment won't be enough for me to live off of and am interested in taking out $15K a year of loans to offset the cost of living. I can only receive federal loans for the difference of the Cost of Attendance (COA) and what the VA is paying with Voc Rehab. The problem is that the COA for the school is ~$84,000 ($60,250 for tuition + $18,090 for living expenses + everything else = $84,091.50). I will receive 9 months of BAH at $2,312.00 = $20,808 + 60,250 for tuition = $81,058. If this is how the school calculates my eligibility for loans, I can only take out ~$84,000 - ~$81,000 = $3,000. I need more than that to support my family. Given that Voc Rehab disperses tuition payments directly to the university and BAH payments directly to the student, will the university only use the tuition compensation in their calculation? That would be ~$84,000 COA - $60,250 tuition reimbursement = $23,750 optional for Federal Loans. I hope someone can answer this! Thank you!

My school does not calculate this way. The only thing that counts against you at my school is the VA tuition payment. MHA, books etc are unaccounted for, so you can borrow against that COA even if the VA is covering it. That goes for both GI Bill and VRE

Reactions: 1 users
To reiterate, I’ve been doing this for 3 years of dental school now. It Allows us to live close to my school and send my kids to private school because the public school system here is horrible. You CAN borrow and be disbursed the entire COA.
You can borrow up to your full COA while in the Voc Rehab program according to United States Code, title 38, Chapter 31: Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities.

"For FSA purposes, federal veterans education benefits, as defined under Section 480(c) of the HEA, are not treated as estimated financial assistance (EFA)." — from Student Aid Financial Handbook

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
My school does not calculate this way. The only thing that counts against you at my school is the VA tuition payment. MHA, books etc are unaccounted for, so you can borrow against that COA even if the VA is covering it. That goes for both GI Bill and VRE

I spoke with my financial aid department this morning. It sounds like they are going to use the MHA in their calculation, so I will only be eligible for the $3,000 a year in financial aid. THIS IS A HUGE PROBLEM FOR ME. Which school are you attending? I am interested in contacting the financial aid office to see if they have some information my financial aid department doesn't have. My school has never had a student use Chapter 31, so they don't have a precedent for taking out loans.

@Look_no_hands

That's odd they'd do that. I attended 2 med schools (transferred), and neither school did that - I took out around $20k at the first institution. MHA (monthly housing allowance?? ... BAH/stipend?) goes straight to you, not the school. The school has 0 say in how you utilize the money (regardless of it's intentions). It's not end-all-be-all, and you should be allowed to borrow up to the COA minus tuition/fees since that's a fixed cost that gets paid directly to the school. The other reason why is because with chapter 31, not everyone gets the BAH rate - some people only get like $700/mo if they began 31 after exhausting 9/11 or if they dont qualify for 9/11.

Below is a screenshot from the Financial Aid Handbook. The first highlighted section seems to be contradicted by the second paragraph. I am citing the first paragraph, they are citing the second paragraph.

upload_2018-6-6_15-34-27.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-6_15-33-13.png
    upload_2018-6-6_15-33-13.png
    406.7 KB · Views: 99
@Look_no_hands

That's odd they'd do that. I attended 2 med schools (transferred), and neither school did that - I took out around $20k at the first institution. MHA (monthly housing allowance?? ... BAH/stipend?) goes straight to you, not the school. The school has 0 say in how you utilize the money (regardless of it's intentions). It's not end-all-be-all, and you should be allowed to borrow up to the COA minus tuition/fees since that's a fixed cost that gets paid directly to the school. The other reason why is because with chapter 31, not everyone gets the BAH rate - some people only get like $700/mo if they began 31 after exhausting 9/11 or if they dont qualify for 9/11.

Which schools did you attend? I would like to ask the financial aid office what rationale they used. It may help persuade my financial aid office.

I could see how the "overaward" provision might apply to Pell grants or similar gov't funded "free" money but wouldn't be applied to your grad loans. Before considering private loans you should ask yourself if you think you might be interested in working for an organization that offers student loan repayment as part of their compensation package (such as the VA) and if those programs are limited to federal loans. If so, that should be factored into your long-term game plan.

I had my VR&E counselor contact the financial aid department and explain Chapter 31. I am eligible to take out loans up to the total COA. Thanks for the help everyone!

Reactions: 3 users
Like xffan said, its not too rare, actually. Mine was just approved earlier this month, and I switched from having approval for PA school to med school.

rikudo,

Do you mind if I ask what your bachelors is in and what work experience? Depending on your ailments for which you are rated, you could repeal and argue that those ailments keep from you working in your current field to your full potential, and that your bachelors (lets say bio for example) can't get you a new job independently (i.e. need graduate education or a teaching certificate - neither of which may be your intended 'new' profession). No one can tell you what you have to due, but it is a matter of how your present it as to whether or not it gets approved or not.

Could anyone explain the process and timeline for applying for any kind of disability from the VA? I’m applying to medical school this year and would like to see if I qualify for Voc Rehab, but my DOS isn’t until September of next year. Also, I’m mainly applying to private schools, and they typically have higher tuition rates. Is there any kind of cap on tuition like there is with just the Post 9/11? Ideally, I’m hoping Voc Rehab + BAH + disability compensation will keep me relatively debt free.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could anyone explain the process and timeline for applying for any kind of disability from the VA? I’m applying to medical school this year and would like to see if I qualify for Voc Rehab, but my DOS isn’t until September of next year. Also, I’m mainly applying to private schools, and they typically have higher tuition rates. Is there any kind of cap on tuition like there is with just the Post 9/11? Ideally, I’m hoping Voc Rehab + BAH + disability compensation will keep me relatively debt free.

DOS?

Applying for comp and pension takes anywhere from 6 months to 2 years depending on the case, what’s being claimed, and if initially scheduled aappointments can be kept (they schedule for you).

You can do it through the VA, a veterans organization (DAV), or through ebenefits online.

After receiving a rating, you can then apply to voc rehab, and that usually takes about 2 months from your application to have an appointment with a counselor for your case.

There is technically no cap, but it has to be approved by a counselor and if higher than a certain amount, the supervisor, and if it’s even higher, the regional office.

I would be really interested to see if Voc rehab would pay for medical school. They generally seem more into getting people stable careers in a short period. However, my old roommate does use voc rehab for PA school.

I would be really interested to see if Voc rehab would pay for medical school. They generally seem more into getting people stable careers in a short period. However, my old roommate does use voc rehab for PA school.

There are at least a dozen of us on this forum currently who are in medical school on voc rehab, myself included.

There are a few stipulations on cost (from what I can tell 100K per year is the cap) and private vs public. One caveat is, that the VA will not pay for a private school if you have an acceptance to a public school and it is within a reasonable distance from your current residence. Here is a breakdown of what levels of approval are needed for certain cost thresholds:

a. Program Costs Program costs include but are not limited to: tuition, books, fees, supplies, equipment, and special services and assistance that VA pays established costs to an approved vendor.

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) The VRC can approve rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of up to $25,000

The VR&E Officer may approve the following:
Rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of $25,000 to $75,000.

The RO Director may approve the following:
Rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of $75,000 to $100,000.

Date of Separation.

I read the AFI that says I cannot have a separation physical until I’m within 6 months of my separation date. So, I guess I’ll have to wait until then to start discussing things with the VA. Thank you for your help!

There are a few stipulations on cost (from what I can tell 100K per year is the cap) and private vs public. One caveat is, that the VA will not pay for a private school if you have an acceptance to a public school and it is within a reasonable distance from your current residence. Here is a breakdown of what levels of approval are needed for certain cost thresholds:

a. Program Costs Program costs include but are not limited to: tuition, books, fees, supplies, equipment, and special services and assistance that VA pays established costs to an approved vendor.

Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor (VRC) The VRC can approve rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of up to $25,000

The VR&E Officer may approve the following:
Rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of $25,000 to $75,000.

The RO Director may approve the following:
Rehabilitation plans with an annual cost of $75,000 to $100,000.

Is this written down anywhere? And if so, where can I get a copy?

I had mine done in my last 2 months of service, and I received my letter from the VA 9 months after I separated, which seems to be the average.
word on the street is things have gotten faster. In some cases you can get a decision in 30 days or less.

Seriously? That’s awesome if it’s actually happening!
It’s definitely going quicker. Even just the guys I watched get out a few years after me had it way easier. I would also suggest to any users who see this that have not filed yet, use the DAV. They’re a fantadtic organization who has some pull on the VA.

One caveat is, that the VA will not pay for a private school if you have an acceptance to a public school and it is within a reasonable distance from your current residence.

Wait, how would they even know?

@MusicDOc124 and other vets who are in med school using voc rehab, did the VA force you to go to the lowest-costing school among your acceptances, or were you permitted to choose which school they pay for?

Wait, how would they even know?

@MusicDOc124 and other vets who are in med school using voc rehab, did the VA force you to go to the lowest-costing school among your acceptances, or were you permitted to choose which school they pay for?

I think it’s relative. If you have 2 acceptance and one is $10k and the other is $90k, they simply won’t approve the $90k. If your two acceptances are say $43k and $47k, you’ll likely have the choice.

I did early acceptance with 1 school and got in, so i didn’t have multiple to compare, however i actually transferred after my first year to my current school, which is a few thousand more per year, and that was approved (though i also had extenuating circumstances leading into the transfer).

Thanks for the response! I’d love some more input if anyone else can chime in.

@esob I would never suggest lying. It seems confusing as to what point in the process a vet gets the VRC involved. I always envisioned taking the acceptance letter (or email printout, I guess) over to Voc Rehab and being like, “Hey, can you pay for this?” But are you saying to treat the VRC like a Pre-Med counselor and get with them from Day 1, ie: when AMCAS opens?

This is all good to know. When the time comes, I may not apply as broadly as I initially imagined.

@esob I would never suggest lying. It seems confusing as to what point in the process a vet gets the VRC involved. I always envisioned taking the acceptance letter (or email printout, I guess) over to Voc Rehab and being like, “Hey, can you pay for this?” But are you saying to treat the VRC like a Pre-Med counselor and get with them from Day 1, ie: when AMCAS opens?

This is all good to know. When the time comes, I may not apply as broadly as I initially imagined.

Your VRC is like a tiny little VA deity. They can make your life a dream or miserable and often do so based on whatever whimsical mood they may be in for that day. I don't mean to sound petty but they are paper pushers, most of whom have never served and most of whom are more interested in making their own lives easier than in helping veterans. Things have changed lately and the general command from above is no advanced schooling except for exceptional circumstances.

There are some good VRC's out there, but even the good ones have their hands tied by the forces above them, so your job is to make their life easier and present a dispassionate argument about how and why you qualify for services under the current code of federal regulations that govern chapter 31 benefits. Imagine if you were going to be given a comprehensive test over chapter 31 benefits, and doing well on that test would yield a $250K prize. Now stop imagining because that's what the reality is.

Feel free to PM me if you would like more info directly, as there isn't much more I can say without losing my anonymity b/c of my involvement with particular organizations.

First I'd like to say thanks for the great work and continued effort on this subject. There is a lots of great info here on vocational rehabilitation, which I didn't even know was an option until recently. Is vocational rehabilitation retroactive? Meaning, If I start school then get approved will it cover the med school that I've already completed? I'm at 17 years active of service and currently taking my pre-requisites out of pocket. (TA won't pay since I have a BS already). I plan to start Med school in the fall of 2021 when I'm on terminal leave. From my understating it takes 6-9 months to get approved after separation. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and work with the VA and military clinic to update my med records. As a flyer and jumper I've spent most of my military career dodging military clinics so as not to go DNIF. However, I am starting to see the need to report all of those knee, back, and shoulder injuries from doing PLF's and falling 20 feet off a fast rope. (Helo brow out, not my fault. lol)

I've transferred most of my Post 9/11 GI bill to my daughter who is currently a Freshman in undergrad. Without the GI bill vocational rehab seem like the right choice for me when I retire. I read though the post but I'm new here so I may have missed something. Anybody know how early I can apply and if it is retroactive once the VA classifies me?

First I'd like to say thanks for the great work and continued effort on this subject. There is a lots of great info here on vocational rehabilitation, which I didn't even know was an option until recently. Is vocational rehabilitation retroactive? Meaning, If I start school then get approved will it cover the med school that I've already completed? I'm at 17 years active of service and currently taking my pre-requisites out of pocket. (TA won't pay since I have a BS already). I plan to start Med school in the fall of 2021 when I'm on terminal leave. From my understating it takes 6-9 months to get approved after separation. I'm trying to get all my ducks in a row and work with the VA and military clinic to update my med records. As a flyer and jumper I've spent most of my military career dodging military clinics so as not to go DNIF. However, I am starting to see the need to report all of those knee, back, and shoulder injuries from doing PLF's and falling 20 feet off a fast rope. (Helo brow out, not my fault. lol)

I've transferred most of my Post 9/11 GI bill to my daughter who is currently a Freshman in undergrad. Without the GI bill vocational rehab seem like the right choice for me when I retire. I read though the post but I'm new here so I may have missed something. Anybody know how early I can apply and if it is retroactive once the VA classifies me?
First of all, thanks for your service. I do not believe that it’d retroactive (could be mislead). I honestly can’t answer many of the voc rehab questions. I did not use it. I used GI Bill for UG and now loans for medical school. However, I did want to step by and stress the importance of making sure you get everything put into your medical record. The VA will be quick to deny claims with not enough evidence in your heath record. Also, I would highly suggest contacting your local DVA chapter and allowing them to handle your claim. I personally didn’t use them, but they helped a lot of vets I know get claims that were previously denied. They know what they’re doing and how to handle the VA.

It's not retroactive. I applied as soon as I had disability approved by the VA (in October). I had already started the year. By the time it was approved I was already in my 2nd semester of medical school. I had been using my GI Bill and switched to voc rehab in my second year. By your description, the GI bill should be available immediately upon discharge. So you can use that if there is delay in assignment of disability. But, if I remember my outprocessing stuff, you can apply for disability several mouths prior to discharge and have it already set when you get out. I did not do that. I applied the day before discharge and had some delay in getting it assigned (although much faster than if I applied after discharge).

I believe it’s retroactively refundable up to the point of when you applied. My friend applied mid first semester and was fully reimbursed once he was approved.

I also think that you’re capped at 48 months total va educational benefits (unless SEH determined) they may count the transferred gi bill months to your daughter.

It is possible to have at least one semester retroactively applied, but this is rare. The gist of the code is this: If you get approved for Ch 31, AND the courses you were taking prior to applying were directly applicable to your individual rehabilitation plan, then you can be reimbursed for that semester. I do not know if it can go back further than one semester, and if so, how far back. However, my VRC told me I could apply and would likely be approved. Also, you don't have to apply for retroactive reimbursement right away, you can wait until you reach the end of your program, which makes them more likely to approve it since you completed the plan.

That said, getting med school approved in the first place is difficult and as @HopefulPilot noted, I believe your 48 months of total educational entitlement will be reduced by whatever amount of benefits your daughter has used.

I'm not worried about getting reimbursed for my perquisites, just the fall semester of the year I start school since its right after my military retirement.

As far as the 48 months, are you talking GI bill only or Voc Rehab?

I'm not worried about getting reimbursed for my perquisites, just the fall semester of the year I start school since its right after my military retirement.

48 months combined for all programs. So 24 months GI bill used would leave you 24 months of Ch 31 eligibility. You can use any combination but you can't exceed 48 months combined benefits for all programs unless you are deemed to have a severe employment handicap.

It is retroactive to the day that you apply for Voc Rehab Chapter 31 in cases that you're stuck with an a-hole caseworker. I personally know of a friend who had 1.5 semester of BAH and tuition retroactively given back once the case was approved

It is retroactive to the day that you apply for Voc Rehab Chapter 31 in cases that you're stuck with an a-hole caseworker. I personally know of a friend who had 1.5 semester of BAH and tuition retroactively given back once the case was approved
Thanks man. I'm learning more and more about the process. Turns out an Army vet in one of my classes used to work in my local VA office. I hoping I can bribe him with some coffee, Monsters, seeds, or dip and get more details.

Hey guys. Mad questions. I'm a veteran and just got out early this year. While in I did 24 credits online , basically a year of college doing basic college writing , history and a couple other classes . I started this year at a state school with a bio undergrad. I am currently using the gi bill but will start using vocational rehab next semester. I am hoping to go to medschool and I've heard of people using voc rehab to pay for it. I'm curious as to how as you only get 48 months. I understand the time can be extended but only if you have an intense handicap which I do not have . So if anyone has done this please explain how . Thanks !

Hey guys. Mad questions. I'm a veteran and just got out early this year. While in I did 24 credits online , basically a year of college doing basic college writing , history and a couple other classes . I started this year at a state school with a bio undergrad. I am currently using the gi bill but will start using vocational rehab next semester. I am hoping to go to medschool and I've heard of people using voc rehab to pay for it. I'm curious as to how as you only get 48 months. I understand the time can be extended but only if you have an intense handicap which I do not have . So if anyone has done this please explain how . Thanks !

"intense handicap": it sure feels like that sometimes :D lol

The term you are looking for is severe employment handicap (SEH) and yes, that is the only way to extend the 48 month rule. The regulations state that if you are evaluated to have an employment handicap (which you must have to qualify for voc rehab) then you must also be evaluated for an SEH. If you want them to pay for medical school you would need to appeal the finding that you don't have an SEH (assuming this was their assessment already or you wouldn't be asking), otherwise, they will only pay for a career track that you can complete within the remaining benefit period.

"intense handicap": it sure feels like that sometimes :D lol

The term you are looking for is severe employment handicap (SEH) and yes, that is the only way to extend the 48 month rule. The regulations state that if you are evaluated to have an employment handicap (which you must have to qualify for voc rehab) then you must also be evaluated for an SEH. If you want them to pay for medical school you would need to appeal the finding that you don't have an SEH (assuming this was their assessment already or you wouldn't be asking), otherwise, they will only pay for a career track that you can complete within the remaining benefit period.

Thank you for the information !

Hola everyone!

Discharged vet using VocRehab to pay for school. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience using GI benefits to help pay for housing/transportion during 1. away rotations and 2. residency interviews. I sent an email to my counselor (I anticipate getting 'no' as a response in 7-10 business days) with the same questions. I will still be using my benefits during the away rotation/interview timeframe

This thread/forum/group of people (especially @esob and @MusicDOc124) have been extremely helpful in navigating the whole VA process, so I thought I would throw the question out there.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if you need any additional info!

Hola everyone!

Discharged vet using VocRehab to pay for school. I'm curious if anyone has had any experience using GI benefits to help pay for housing/transportion during 1. away rotations and 2. residency interviews. I sent an email to my counselor (I anticipate getting 'no' as a response in 7-10 business days) with the same questions. I will still be using my benefits during the away rotation/interview timeframe

This thread/forum/group of people (especially @esob and @MusicDOc124) have been extremely helpful in navigating the whole VA process, so I thought I would throw the question out there.

Thanks for the help! Let me know if you need any additional info!

You can't use both Voc Rehab and GI Bill at the same time. It's one or the other, and they each affect one another for a total of 48 months.

So with you already using Voc Rehab (and I'm assuming are getting BAH since you otherwise qualify for GI Bill), then the BAH you get with Voc Rehab is all you will continue to get. Depending on your counselor, you may be able to finagle travel costs in the form of driving at $0.XY/mile, and/or get the night going into and/or night of your various interviews covered at hotels, but flights will be too expensive (though the potential to be reimbursed at the rate of driving could be possible still). Again, this probably depends on the counselor, but to clarify, there are no GI Bill benefits you can use while on Voc Rehab, and once 48 total months is hit, you have no benefits left other than extensions with Voc Rehab.

Dang, that's a bummer. Thanks for the replies.

So I have used Voc Rehab to pay for my undergrad. Does any have any experience getting that extended for med school? I have gone through four different counselors this year alone. My local benefits office is horrible and has a huge turnover. They all have given conflicting answers or half answers. They dont even follow the rules the Voc Rehab is supposed to follow, like collecting transcripts or meeting with their assigned veterans. Like I just got a new counselor and she needed all my transcripts because I have not been asked to send updated ones in three years.

So I have used Voc Rehab to pay for my undergrad. Does any have any experience getting that extended for med school? I have gone through four different counselors this year alone. My local benefits office is horrible and has a huge turnover. They all have given conflicting answers or half answers. They dont even follow the rules the Voc Rehab is supposed to follow, like collecting transcripts or meeting with their assigned veterans. Like I just got a new counselor and she needed all my transcripts because I have not been asked to send updated ones in three years.

I used Voc rehab in undergrad, but i used a total of only 27-30ish months of benefit in total for undergrad. My other 18-20 months of the 48 total were used to cover both 1st and 2nd year of Med school and half of the first semester of 3rd year. I was just granted my extension about 2-3 weeks ago to cover the rest of 3rd year and all of 4th year to bring me to graduation. For me, it will be about 62-65 months of benefits provided.

I also know someone who is currently approved for Med school with an extension after already using up his benefits prior to Med school starting this year. He will have used around 80 months of benefits in total by the time he graduates Med school.

It’s possible, can be done, and has been done. However each case and each counselor is different - and each supervisor, so it will surely vary.

I used Voc rehab in undergrad, but i used a total of only 27-30ish months of benefit in total for undergrad. My other 18-20 months of the 48 total were used to cover both 1st and 2nd year of Med school and half of the first semester of 3rd year. I was just granted my extension about 2-3 weeks ago to cover the rest of 3rd year and all of 4th year to bring me to graduation. For me, it will be about 62-65 months of benefits provided.

I also know someone who is currently approved for Med school with an extension after already using up his benefits prior to Med school starting this year. He will have used around 80 months of benefits in total by the time he graduates Med school.

It’s possible, can be done, and has been done. However each case and each counselor is different - and each supervisor, so it will surely vary.
So you used voc rehab in undergrad and then went to use vic rehab in med school and got that extended? I have something like 16 months left of the 48. Thanks for the info though!