Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you for the all the information!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
What qualifies as SEH?
I wonder if I can change my goal towards the end in case I specialize (many dental residencies charge tuition).

It's up to the counselor, but essentially exactly what is stands for - "Severe Employment Handicap" - aka whatever you're rated for (handicap) must be [severe] enough to affect current [employment] or the field for what you've thus far been prepared for/trained in.

For instance, if you're knees are rated at 100%, but you have a degree in accounting and a job in the field that pays fairly well or better than well - thats not an employment handicap because you're sitting for work, and thus off your knees. On the another hand, you could have a job that involves a lot of trying, but you have carpal tunnel, in which work is directly affected by your condition, which could qualify you to switch fields/jobs and qualify for an SEH because it is directly affecting work.

That makes sense. I guess I have a a little more time to develop my case. It's still dentistry, but it's a specialty so it may be a little tough.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any benefit left? If you have any GI Bill left (i.e. less than 36 months used) or at least have not reached your 48 month cap, I could imagine that there may be something you could do for it, but for Voc Rehab, since it's an employment program, I don't see much coming form that because you can be quite gainfully employed as a dentist without residency (or debt, hence the program in the first place). But like I said, if you have GI Bill left, that could work because you can use it for vocation/ojt I believe, and receive BAH. It may be arguable with Voc Rehab under the 48 month mark, but if you've already hit that mark, then a lot of good luck to you to manage that one!

Reactions: 1 users
I have 6 months of Ch33 left. But it's a 3 year residency so I guess it can offset costs the first year IF I can use them...

I have 6 months of Ch33 left. But it's a 3 year residency so I guess it can offset costs the first year IF I can use them...

It's tax free money and it cost nothing to apply. I'm using my last bit of GI bill for residency. The VA says I have 26 months left, but that's well over the 48 month limit so we'll see how much they cover. It's six months if they cut me off then. I live in a high COL area so it's still a substantial bit of money and worth it even for six months.

Use the first few months, then apply for Voc rehab and see what happens. Maybe if you're already doing something for gainful employment, an extra 12 months could help... even if you manage to just secure the stipend or BAH at that point. Worst they can say is no, and anything is better than nothing.

I agree. I will be well past the 48 months when I graduate, I would just rather not take out the loans because the tuition for residency is like $50K a year, without living expenses.

26 months would be AWESOME for you. That's a huge offset.

Use the first few months, then apply for Voc rehab and see what happens. Maybe if you're already doing something for gainful employment, an extra 12 months could help... even if you manage to just secure the stipend or BAH at that point. Worst they can say is no, and anything is better than nothing.
By graduation I will have used 30 months of CH33 and 40 months of CH31. Thats a great idea though. Thank you!

I agree. I will be well past the 48 months when I graduate, I would just rather not take out the loans because the tuition for residency is like $50K a year, without living expenses.

26 months would be AWESOME for you. That's a huge offset.

By graduation I will have used 30 months of CH33 and 40 months of CH31. Thats a great idea though. Thank you!

Did you use G.I. Bill for that long before using 31? If so, were you in 31 for 40 months beyond your G.I. Bill use, or is it 40 months total?

If you were in 33 for that long plus the 40 months of 31, you're well past the 48 month limit

Did you use G.I. Bill for that long before using 31? If so, were you in 31 for 40 months beyond your G.I. Bill use, or is it 40 months total?

If you were in 33 for that long plus the 40 months of 31, you're well past the 48 month limit
I used 33 for 30months (mostly on AD), and was approved for 31 for 40 months. I'm at 80%.

ALCON-

Just got word that my Chapter 31 benefits were approved for my medical education in it's entirety. Pretty exciting.

I apologize if this is redundant, but here is everything I brought to my initial 'counseling', which lasted maybe an hour. When preparing, I adopted the mindset of essentially doing my officer's job for them, and not giving them the option to say 'no' or provide alternatives:
  • acceptance letter
  • undergrad transcript
  • JST transcript
  • disability rating form
  • DD 214
  • online skills assessment
  • RNI form
  • degree plan/timeline from the school (pulled from school's website)
  • tuition information/estimate (pulled from school's website)
  • three job listings from BLS which require medical degree
  • an intelligent defense of why my SCDs prohibit entry level employment, and how SCDs will not be an issue after degree completion
I think one of the most important pieces of information I gleaned from reading up on chapter 31 benefits was, "employment in line with the veteran's skills, aptitudes and interests." I'm not sure how many times I said something to the effect of, "I'm not interested in that" or "that would crush my soul." haha.

Also, I placed an emphasis on the leadership role of a physician; arguably, the military gave us all some sort of leadership training, which not only distinguishes us from most other applicants, but it serves as another talking point as to why becoming a physician capitalizes on previous military training. My two cents.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'm all about vets getting where they want to go.

Reactions: 5 users
ALCON-

Just got word that my Chapter 31 benefits were approved for my medical education in it's entirety. Pretty exciting.

I apologize if this is redundant, but here is everything I brought to my initial 'counseling', which lasted maybe an hour. When preparing, I adopted the mindset of essentially doing my officer's job for them, and not giving them the option to say 'no' or provide alternatives:
  • acceptance letter
  • undergrad transcript
  • JST transcript
  • disability rating form
  • DD 214
  • online skills assessment
  • RNI form
  • degree plan/timeline from the school (pulled from school's website)
  • tuition information/estimate (pulled from school's website)
  • three job listings from BLS which require medical degree
  • an intelligent defense of why my SCDs prohibit entry level employment, and how SCDs will not be an issue after degree completion
I think one of the most important pieces of information I gleaned from reading up on chapter 31 benefits was, "employment in line with the veteran's skills, aptitudes and interests." I'm not sure how many times I said something to the effect of, "I'm not interested in that" or "that would crush my soul." haha.

Also, I placed an emphasis on the leadership role of a physician; arguably, the military gave us all some sort of leadership training, which not only distinguishes us from most other applicants, but it serves as another talking point as to why becoming a physician capitalizes on previous military training. My two cents.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to PM me. I'm all about vets getting where they want to go.

Congrats. You did exactly what you needed to do, and hopefully someone sees the list you laid out and does the same to ensure their best chances.

Reactions: 2 users
I have 14 days of Ch 33 left. Is it even worth trying to get a rating to apply for Ch 31? Tinnitus and minor hearing loss would be the only problems I could claim without lying. So I think I could get 10%.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have 14 days of Ch 33 left. Is it even worth trying to get a rating to apply for Ch 31? Tinnitus and minor hearing loss would be the only problems I could claim without lying. So I think I could get 10%.
I might see them giving you the full 48 months of benefits (so 12 more months), but I can't see those granting a Serious Employment Handicap (SEH) or at more than 10% which would make it unlikely.

I'm enlisted now and intend to put in a package for a commission down the road. I'm afraid that attempting to get a rating might come back to bite me in the ass so I don't think I'll do it.

I'm enlisted now and intend to put in a package for a commission down the road. I'm afraid that attempting to get a rating might come back to bite me in the ass so I don't think I'll do it.
Have you considered the enlisted to doctor program? I know I have a friend who is going through that right now. It's a rigorous selection, but it was worth it for him: EMDP2- Uniformed Services University

Have you considered the enlisted to doctor program? I know I have a friend who is going through that right now. It's a rigorous selection, but it was worth it for him: EMDP2- Uniformed Services University
I've heard about it but it wouldn't benefit me much. I already have a bachelor's, master's, MCAT, and I'm applying this cycle. The program would make me more competitive but it would delay matriculation two years and I'd like to graduate med school before age 70. :coffee:

I've heard about it but it wouldn't benefit me much. I already have a bachelor's, master's, MCAT, and I'm applying this cycle. The program would make me more competitive but it would delay matriculation two years and I'd like to graduate med school before age 70. :coffee:
Understood 100%. Plus, this way you get to pick your specialty instead of Primary care and maaaybe something else if you're really lucky.

Understood 100%. Plus, this way you get to pick your specialty instead of Primary care and maaaybe something else if you're really lucky.
I was talking with some military residents last night who said specializing through the army was arguably easier/less competitive. alternatively, emergency medicine is the most competitive specialty in the military match. This was all unverified mouth data, of course.

Hello all,

Thank you for this wealth of information! I have some very specific questions for my particular situation.

OBJ: Medical school.

Situation:
*Active duty 2008-2016 as a Marine Raider (CSO). Wondering how to describe this for interests/abilites/experience. Looking to maximize chances of VRE acceptance. Any SEALs/GBs or other former SOF on here that have been through the process?
*Honorable discharge with 100% disability rating. Mostly joint mobility/pain with some nerve impairment and sleep apnea. Does this matter/help?
*Currently employed full time in an office. Can this negatively affect eligibility for Chapter 31? I will stop working once I gain B.S., complete pre reqs, and begin studying for the MCATs.
*Currently attending evening school full time with GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon to get a fast BA. By the end of degree, I will have 18 months left on Post 9/11 GI Bill
*I will still need 1 year of med school pre-reqs after my BA (9 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill)
*At pre req completion I will have 9 months left on Post 9/11 GI Bill, at which point I plan to submit a request for VRE. Is there good reason to make the switch now, or potentially while I am working on pre reqs?

Thanks for the help!

Hello all,

Thank you for this wealth of information! I have some very specific questions for my particular situation.

Situation:
*Active duty 2008-2016 as a Marine Raider (CSO). Wondering how to describe this for interests/abilites/experience. Looking to maximize chances of VRE acceptance. Any SEALs/GBs or other former SOF on here that have been through the process?
*Honorable discharge with 100% disability rating. Mostly joint mobility/pain with some nerve impairment and sleep apnea. Does this matter/help?
*Currently employed full time in an office. Can this negatively affect eligibility for Chapter 31? I will stop working once I gain B.S., complete pre reqs, and begin studying for the MCATs.
*Currently attending evening school full time with GI Bill/Yellow Ribbon to get a fast BA. By the end of degree, I will have 18 months left on Post 9/11 GI Bill
*I will still need 1 year of med school pre-reqs after my BA (9 months of Post 9/11 GI Bill)
*At pre req completion I will have 9 months left on Post 9/11 GI Bill, at which point I plan to submit a request for VRE. Is there good reason to make the switch now, or potentially while I am working on pre reqs?

Thanks for the help!

Is there's any reason you can't take the prereqs while in school now rather than after?

If you still have prereqs left after your degree, consider a post-bacc with a link (increases chances of getting in, and if it's at the same location/affiliate, save you an application year!).

As for now, since you're employed and not yet accepted, I'd avoid VRE. Education wise, if you're at an instate school and/or utilizing yellow ribbon, the differences are minimal, but GI has more flexibility, and you're at a point that flexibility it good.

I suggest staying GI Bill until you are at least applying to Med school, if not accepted already! Just my .02 though. It might help also if you get a job working at a clinic or hospital to show interest (provable) or maybe become an EMT and work as such instead of working what you're doing now (just an idea..I don't know your situation), but that shows interest and you get paid, but it's generally not considered "suitable" and you could argue your joint pain leading you to want to become a doctor (which is an entry level degree for being a physician) instead of staying an EMT or moving on to medic (still aggravates joints, and if you already have a BS/BA, it would take just as long to become a nurse as a doctor at that point - something to argue at that point).

Feel free to message me if you feel the need. Semper Fi!

Hello all,

Situation:

Thanks for the help!

The only limiting factor in those items you listed with regard to Ch 31 that you are employed full time. It doesn't make it impossible, but it makes it harder. The general overview of Ch 31 is that it is an employment program, not a "go to school" program: the goal is employment, not any particular degree. Thus, you can see why being employed full time makes it harder to qualify. Depending on who you get for a VRC however, you may be able to make an argument based on the CFR listing of an employment handicap, which is defined as: "an impairment of a veteran's ability to prepare for, obtain, or retain employment consistent with such veteran's abilities, aptitudes, and interests. " The highlighted portion is the part you will have to convince the VRC of, ie, that your current employment is not consistent with your abilities, aptitudes and interest. There are two approaches to this argument. One is that your current position either aggravates your service connected disabilities or that your SCD's somehow negatively impact your performance at this position (ie, you are less efficient than your coworkers and cannot work as much as them, etc). The second approach is a bit harder of a sell but I have seen it be successful. That approach makes the argument that even though you are employed, you are disinterested in your job and your true passion is to be a doctor.

Quick question here for you guys. Since VRE provides training for entry level position in the approved field, what position would that be for an MD? Would the official name on the approval form be "resident"? If so, what should we be putting down as an employment goal? Physician, MD, resident?

Quick question here for you guys. Since VRE provides training for entry level position in the approved field, what position would that be for an MD? Would the official name on the approval form be "resident"? If so, what should we be putting down as an employment goal? Physician, MD, resident?

Doctor or physician. Residency is employment.

Yep, mine simply states physician, which in turn requires an MD/DO degree.

Yep, mine simply states physician, which in turn requires an MD/DO degree.

I'm a senior pre-med student. I've been finishing up my degree with Voc Rehab for the last two semesters and have already signed my academic agreement for them to pay for medical school. So I'm another one of those "it's possible". You guys seems to be the subject matter experts so I thought I'd ask:

Do you know how easily these contracts transfer to other states in the event that I don't get into Utah's only state school? Utah has a weird cultural component where everyone needs to become doctors/dentists so our med school gets an abnormally large amount of applications:seats. I see myself as being very competitive, but I'm just working on back up plans just in case.

Second, like most of you I'm a non-traditional student. I have a wife and 2 small kids and will be 30 when med school starts. How are some of you making ends meet? Obviously the BAH and my disability helps but we're kind of scraping by as it is. I know if I go to school with Voc Rehab that my family won't starve to death, but I worry about my wife being stuck at home with two kids because we can't afford for her to do anything with our kids. I've been reading up on financial aid and it seems that ever since the housing crash, schools have shrunk their Coast of Attendance making it pretty impossible to get enough money for a small family. Thoughts? Is it possible that BAH doesn't affect CoA which would allow me to borrow a little extra?

Thanks guys.

I'm a senior pre-med student. I've been finishing up my degree with Voc Rehab for the last two semesters and have already signed my academic agreement for them to pay for medical school. So I'm another one of those "it's possible". You guys seems to be the subject matter experts so I thought I'd ask:

Do you know how easily these contracts transfer to other states in the event that I don't get into Utah's only state school? Utah has a weird cultural component where everyone needs to become doctors/dentists so our med school gets an abnormally large amount of applications:seats. I see myself as being very competitive, but I'm just working on back up plans just in case.

Second, like most of you I'm a non-traditional student. I have a wife and 2 small kids and will be 30 when med school starts. How are some of you making ends meet? Obviously the BAH and my disability helps but we're kind of scraping by as it is. I know if I go to school with Voc Rehab that my family won't starve to death, but I worry about my wife being stuck at home with two kids because we can't afford for her to do anything with our kids. I've been reading up on financial aid and it seems that ever since the housing crash, schools have shrunk their Coast of Attendance making it pretty impossible to get enough money for a small family. Thoughts? Is it possible that BAH doesn't affect CoA which would allow me to borrow a little extra?

Thanks guys.
The VA is paying your tuition, and you have some income from BAH+whatever your rating is. That, plus some COA loans should be plenty! If not, I don't think there's a rule against taking out loans as if you were paying tuition, and putting that toward something else, but im not sure about that.

The VA is paying your tuition, and you have some income from BAH+whatever your rating is. That, plus some COA loans should be plenty! If not, I don't think there's a rule against taking out loans as if you were paying tuition, and putting that toward something else, but im not sure about that.

Yeah so I got some good info that lead me down the right rabbit hole. I have actually misunderstood how the CoA works. I do know that my BAH reduces my “room” portion of the room&board. I don’t know by how much but it’s not a ton. I was under the assumption that any income cuts into your CoA reducing the amount you could borrow. That doesn’t seem to be the case though...

Looking at my local state school: tuition is $38,000 and room & board is $10,000 and the CoA is $60,000. So basically even if my BAH erases all $10,000 for room and board and my tuition portion is gone because of my Voc rehab support... I could still borrow up to $12,000 each year but it’s up to me to obviously spend that appropriately. Can any verify this?

Thanks guys.

Well here's what I've personally experienced regarding transfers and changing your original contract. In my case, my VRC left and the lady who came in to fill his spot immediately balked at my plan and tried to kick it to another VRC office entirely. Her office handles cases where I live but the other office specifically handles my school, which is why she tried to send it there. I had initially requested my file stay at the first office however, because I liked the original VRC and didn't want to test my luck with someone in the other office since VRC's are hit or miss at best.

So anyway, the new office balked as well and kicked it back to the original office. She then begrudgingly accepted the role as my new VRC but proceeded to give me a tongue lashing about how my original VRC was wrong to approve me for medical school, blah blah blah. Then she basically said that I shouldn't be approved for medical school (because it was beyond the scope of "entry level") but it would be more paperwork for her to undo that decision than to simply let it ride and blame the issue on the previous VRC. In my mind, she is decidedly hostile toward the prospect of Ch. 31 paying for my medical school.

So the take away that I get from this experience is, that it is difficult though not impossible for them to undo your original contract. That said, it is best if you have a good VRC that you can stay with for the duration of your contract.

You cannot borrow the cost of tuition if it is being paid by the VA. However, you can borrow the remainder of your COA without regard to your MHA. MHA does not count against you like the VA's tuition payment does. Med schools never see it because it never hits your bursar's account.

Looking at my local state school: tuition is $38,000 and room & board is $10,000 and the CoA is $60,000. So basically even if my BAH erases all $10,000 for room and board and my tuition portion is gone because of my Voc rehab support... I could still borrow up to $12,000 each year but it’s up to me to obviously spend that appropriately. Can any verify this?

If your tuition is $38K and your COA is $60K then you can borrow $22K per year. If your kids go to childcare because your spouse works, you can have your COA raised by 1/2 the total childcare cost, you just need to bring your financial aid office a letter from the childcare provider that details your weekly/monthly cost.

Second, like most of you I'm a non-traditional student. I have a wife and 2 small kids and will be 30 when med school starts. How are some of you making ends meet?

My spouse works full time. I have veteran classmates with stay-at-home spouses, and they borrow more to support themselves. I'm fortunate in that my GI Bill benefits + my spouse's income are enough to sustain our previous lifestyle, though my spouse didn't work then and does now.

Here’s one for all of you... has anybody looked into the national guard MDSSP program while receiving your VA disability? I know that with VA disability you can be in the guard, you just can’t receive your disability on days where you also drilled. My question is based on the fact that while in school most financial support from the scholarship comes from the stipend, not drill pay. You are getting a general stipend for a future work obligation. I also know that you also tend to drill 6-12 weekends/yr while on the scholarship so obviously you would have to forfeit that drill pay. I’m just not sure about the stipend portion. I’ve sought out a NG MDSSP recruiter but can’t seem to get a response. Any info?

Here’s one for all of you... has anybody looked into the national guard MDSSP program while receiving your VA disability? I know that with VA disability you can be in the guard, you just can’t receive your disability on days where you also drilled. My question is based on the fact that while in school most financial support from the scholarship comes from the stipend, not drill pay. You are getting a general stipend for a future work obligation. I also know that you also tend to drill 6-12 weekends/yr while on the scholarship so obviously you would have to forfeit that drill pay. I’m just not sure about the stipend portion. I’ve sought out a NG MDSSP recruiter but can’t seem to get a response. Any info?

Since the law is that you can't receive VA disability compensation for days spent on active duty (MUTAs count), I would assume that the stipend is not affected. When you fill out your VA-8951 for the fiscal year they only ask for total training days, not amount of money you got paid by the National Guard. Plus, these days DEERs is automatically alerting the VA to the number of days your drilled, and that's how they calculate it.

Definitely not a recruiter or authoritative voice in the matter, just my interpretation.

Since the law is that you can't receive VA disability compensation for days spent on active duty (MUTAs count), I would assume that the stipend is not affected. When you fill out your VA-8951 for the fiscal year they only ask for total training days, not amount of money you got paid by the National Guard. Plus, these days DEERs is automatically alerting the VA to the number of days your drilled, and that's how they calculate it.

Definitely not a recruiter or authoritative voice in the matter, just my interpretation.

You seem a bit more knowledgable than me, but that was essentially my logic. I thought it came down to training days and I don't feel like being in med school would be counted as training days.

Yeah so I got some good info that lead me down the right rabbit hole. I have actually misunderstood how the CoA works. I do know that my BAH reduces my “room” portion of the room&board. I don’t know by how much but it’s not a ton. I was under the assumption that any income cuts into your CoA reducing the amount you could borrow. That doesn’t seem to be the case though...

You can borrow up to your full COA while in the Voc Rehab program according to United States Code, title 38, Chapter 31: Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities.

"For FSA purposes, federal veterans education benefits, as defined under Section 480(c) of the HEA, are not treated as estimated financial assistance (EFA)." — from Student Aid Financial Handbook

Last edited by a moderator:
You can borrow up to your full COA while in the Voc Rehab program according to United States Code, title 38, Chapter 31: Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities.

"For FSA purposes, federal veterans education benefits, as defined under Section 480(c) of the HEA, are not treated as estimated financial assistance (EFA)." — from Student Aid Financial Handbook

Can you provide a link for this student aid financial handbook? Quickly tried to search the VA website and couldn't find it. Doesn't affect my personal situation, but if what you are saying is correct, there are some fellow veterans at my school that would benefit immensely. I'd appreciate the help!

Can you provide a link for this student aid financial handbook? Quickly tried to search the VA website and couldn't find it. Doesn't affect my personal situation, but if what you are saying is correct, there are some fellow veterans at my school that would benefit immensely. I'd appreciate the help!

Federal Student Aid - IFAP: iLibrary - Federal Student Aid Handbook

My quote was from the Student Financial Aid Handbook in 2016, but there’s no change to the law as far as I’m concerned.

Hello everyone,

I was accepted to a few medical schools and will be starting in 2018. I am using Voc Rehab to pay and was wondering what, if anything, happens during residency. Given that medical residents are essentially participating in on-the-job training, will I be eligible for any benefits throughout residency? I know that legally speaking residents are employees, not students, but am hoping someone can definitively tell me what a medical resident is in the eyes of Voc Rehab. Thank you!

Hello everyone,

I was accepted to a few medical schools and will be starting in 2018. I am using Voc Rehab to pay and was wondering what, if anything, happens during residency. Given that medical residents are essentially participating in on-the-job training, will I be eligible for any benefits throughout residency? I know that legally speaking residents are employees, not students, but am hoping someone can definitively tell me what a medical resident is in the eyes of Voc Rehab. Thank you!

You answered your own question. You’re an employee making $50-70k/yr starting without debt. That’s your job, so benefits stop (but you continue to receive disability comp).

You answered your own question. You’re an employee making $50-70k/yr starting without debt. That’s your job, so benefits stop (but you continue to receive disability comp).
I figured as much. Thanks!

I figured as much. Thanks!
As an added confirmation, I asked my VRC the same question and he said it does not count as training, you are considered rehabilitated at that point. One small benefit is that the will continue to pay your stipend for up a certain period (I think 90 days if I remember correctly) while you "look" for work. Thus, if there is some gap time between when you graduate and your residency starts, you will still have your stipend coming in for a bit.

As an added confirmation, I asked my VRC the same question and he said it does not count as training, you are considered rehabilitated at that point. One small benefit is that the will continue to pay your stipend for up a certain period (I think 90 days if I remember correctly) while you "look" for work. Thus, if there is some gap time between when you graduate and your residency starts, you will still have your stipend coming in for a bit.
Excellent. Thank you for asking!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

Thanks guys.

I'm OMS II . Same family situation. We are getting by fine with my BAH+ 70% disability compensation.

Has anyone tried using Voc Rehab to reimburse for travel expenses? (E.g flights for Step 2 CS, flights for residency interviews) It may be a longshot but I could see justifying flights as a program requirement. Attending CS is mandatory and interviewing for residency expected by the school and critical to securing gainful employment.

Has anyone tried using Voc Rehab to reimburse for travel expenses? (E.g flights for Step 2 CS, flights for residency interviews) It may be a longshot but I could see justifying flights as a program requirement. Attending CS is mandatory and interviewing for residency expected by the school and critical to securing gainful employment.

I believe you can only get hotel stays paid for night prior and night of. I haven’t inquired about that as of yet, but that’s what i heard. It would be nice though to get all of that lol.

I don't know about for Step 2, but I highly doubt for residency interviews. I was told explicitly by my VRC that they would not cover any expenses concerned with the application process, including travel for testing or interviews. The only exception was that they would cover the cost of the MCAT, but basically only after I gained an acceptance.

I don't know about for Step 2, but I highly doubt for residency interviews. I was told explicitly by my VRC that they would not cover any expenses concerned with the application process, including travel for testing or interviews. The only exception was that they would cover the cost of the MCAT, but basically only after I gained an acceptance.

They won't cover your boards? They covered my MCAT, my Step/Level 1, and will cover step/level 2 and PE. Since PE is required, and while I dont think they'll cover travel as you stated, I believe they cover 2 nights in a hotel - the night prior knowing you have to sleep and get up early for it, and the night of because while you're gone for it all day, you need a place to keep your stuff and go to change and such afterward, which would be after a checkout period. This may also simply be up to the counselor though.

Hey guys,

I have been approved for Voc Rehab to pay for my medical school and have a question. Does anyone have any experience trying to take out student loans IN ADDITION to using Voc Rehab?

I'll be attending medical school in Washington DC which is extremely expensive. I'm concerned that the BAH payment won't be enough for me to live off of and am interested in taking out $15K a year of loans to offset the cost of living. I can only receive federal loans for the difference of the Cost of Attendance (COA) and what the VA is paying with Voc Rehab. The problem is that the COA for the school is ~$84,000 ($60,250 for tuition + $18,090 for living expenses + everything else = $84,091.50). I will receive 9 months of BAH at $2,312.00 = $20,808 + 60,250 for tuition = $81,058. If this is how the school calculates my eligibility for loans, I can only take out ~$84,000 - ~$81,000 = $3,000. I need more than that to support my family. Given that Voc Rehab disperses tuition payments directly to the university and BAH payments directly to the student, will the university only use the tuition compensation in their calculation? That would be ~$84,000 COA - $60,250 tuition reimbursement = $23,750 optional for Federal Loans. I hope someone can answer this! Thank you!

Hey guys,

I have been approved for Voc Rehab to pay for my medical school and have a question. Does anyone have any experience trying to take out student loans IN ADDITION to using Voc Rehab?

I'll be attending medical school in Washington DC which is extremely expensive. I'm concerned that the BAH payment won't be enough for me to live off of and am interested in taking out $15K a year of loans to offset the cost of living. I can only receive federal loans for the difference of the Cost of Attendance (COA) and what the VA is paying with Voc Rehab. The problem is that the COA for the school is ~$84,000 ($60,250 for tuition + $18,090 for living expenses + everything else = $84,091.50). I will receive 9 months of BAH at $2,312.00 = $20,808 + 60,250 for tuition = $81,058. If this is how the school calculates my eligibility for loans, I can only take out ~$84,000 - ~$81,000 = $3,000. I need more than that to support my family. Given that Voc Rehab disperses tuition payments directly to the university and BAH payments directly to the student, will the university only use the tuition compensation in their calculation? That would be ~$84,000 COA - $60,250 tuition reimbursement = $23,750 optional for Federal Loans. I hope someone can answer this! Thank you!

So I’m not the most well-versed with loans while on VRE, but i did take one out during my 2nd semester of my first year for full tuition for the semester and didn’t see any obstacle in getting that amount or more if i were to take out for cost of attendance.

The VA paid after i took the loan and this that was refunded to me, which was around $20k.

Side note for anyone who may be in need of a loan for something more short term... if you pay back the loan in less than 120 days, the interest is forgiven and they include the initial fee as having been paid... meaning you only pay back the exact amount you received in the disbursement check. After the 120 day period, that fee is theirs and you’re responsible for the interest at that point. I did this with my loan mentioned above, so i can vouch.