Veterans: Anyone using VA voc rehab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
She did mention a few of the requirements 1. receiving ssi 2.alcohol and drug addiction 3. taking psych meds. .
Thats a black-smoke dumpster fire of lies. print off the regs and bring them with you for the next meeting.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not sure what service you were in, but in the Navy we would say it's time to do some Sea Lawyering.
Don't worry, this will get figured out.

Hello I just stumbled upon this goldmine and I have a question about the program overall. Should I apply to the voc rehab now with 10 months left on my post 9/11 GI bill. I have about 2 more semesters left before I apply to medical school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello I just stumbled upon this goldmine and I have a question about the program overall. Should I apply to the voc rehab now with 10 months left on my post 9/11 GI bill. I have about 2 more semesters left before I apply to medical school.

Yes, apply now.

Reactions: 1 users
Do NOT use those 10 months up. It's back and forth, but you may be able to use them during residency to supplement your stipend.
Also, do you have a rating? The higher the rating the easier it will be (usually).

Do NOT use those 10 months up. It's back and forth, but you may be able to use them during residency to supplement your stipend.
Also, do you have a rating? The higher the rating the easier it will be (usually).

Yes I am at 50% disability. To be accurate I actually have 7 months now. I used 3 for this current semester.

50 should be ok.
Apply now, and hopefully it will work out. Set your rehabilitation plan as physician. If they tell you no, tell them no back. Be nice and respectful, but be firm.

The form I think is the VA-1900 or 1905 (not sure which, can't remember)

50 should be ok.
Apply now, and hopefully it will work out. Set your rehabilitation plan as physician. If they tell you no, tell them no back. Be nice and respectful, but be firm.

The form I think is the VA-1900 or 1905 (not sure which, can't remember)
Do you by any chance know where I can start the process I was told vonapp.

No its not vonapp, I never use that.
Get the required form, find you local vocrehab office and call them. They are going to tell you to fill out the form to send to them and they will process it. You will get a letter in the mail eventually to have your initial meeting with your VRC. Show up prepared, dress neatly, be professional, and know your stuff. If they give you the runaround with not being eligible, be firm (but polite) and say that is not true.

There's lots of resources online I recommend looking up. There's one lawyer who made Ch31 his mission, and he had them pay for undergrad and law school and gave him startup money for his practice. Ironically, his practice revolves around fighting the VA :rofl:

No its not vonapp, I never use that.
Get the required form, find you local vocrehab office and call them. They are going to tell you to fill out the form to send to them and they will process it. You will get a letter in the mail eventually to have your initial meeting with your VRC. Show up prepared, dress neatly, be professional, and know your stuff. If they give you the runaround with not being eligible, be firm (but polite) and say that is not true.

There's lots of resources online I recommend looking up. There's one lawyer who made Ch31 his mission, and he had them pay for undergrad and law school and gave him startup money for his practice. Ironically, his practice revolves around fighting the VA :rofl:
I'm filling out the paperwork as we speak. I just need to know what regs I should bring to reinforce my claim.

I'm filling out the paperwork as we speak. I just need to know what regs I should bring to reinforce my claim.

Here, use this post as reference. Set aside a few hours to really dig and familiarize after you apply.

My spouse and I are both Veterans and since he is going to an international med school he was pretty much immediately denied at his VR&E initial eval from our local Regional Officer (RO). The only reason for disapproval was supposedly the international/foreign status of the school and the fact that the course is available within the US. We had all of the proof of the accreditations and success of the school, but she wouldn’t even look at it because she already had her reason for denial. We had done a lot of research so we pushed back enough for her to actually do some work and she did give some interesting feedback that I want to share with you.

In the M28R it says that foreign cases can be approved if the Veteran can prove a hardship. Then it gives some examples of hardships. We came armed with examples of our own of how hardship applies to our case. However, she said that ONLY the examples of hardship specifically outlined in the M28R will be approved, even though we explained that that is not how the Army uses regulations.
Then we went on to dissect the entirety of the M28R Foreign Cases section (M28R, Part V, Section C, Chapters 1-3) with her. What it came down to was the hardships. There are three “samples”:
1. The Veteran is married to a foreign national and his or her family resides in a foreign country.
2. The Veteran’s spouse is transferred to a military or civilian job in a foreign country and the Veteran accompanies his/her spouse to the foreign country.
3. The Veteran is employed in a foreign country.
Therefore if the Spouse of the Veteran is able to show proof of employment in said foreign country, supposedly the Veteran should be approved due to “hardship”.

The other option that the RO skimmed over is called a Retroactive Induction. I haven’t read all of the regulations on it, but there is a section in the M28R (M28R, Part IV, Section C, Chapter 2):
1. The period for which retroactive induction is requested is within the individual’s basic period of eligibility or extended eligibility as provided in 38 U.S.C. 3103 and 38 CFR 21.41 through 21.44.
2. The Veteran is entitled to disability compensation during the period for which retroactive induction is requested.
3. The individual meets the criteria of entitlement to VR&E services for the requested period.
4. The training pursued during the retroactive period is determined to be suitable for achieving the vocational goal of the individual’s rehabilitation plan.
So if you know you aren’t VR&E eligible before you start school, make sure you read up on this section and SAVE YOUR RECEIPTS!

Anyone else going to an international/foreign school and successfully approved for VR&E?

I hope this helps

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure you have all your ducks in a row and go there KNOWING the regulations. Do not give them a reason to say no. It is extremely variable based on who you get. I did all of this and still was denied with a 90% rating as a combat vet. My application is in Washington under a review so we will see what happens. Even if you get denied you can still persist as I currently am. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

i was told that depending on the disability, it will determine if i qualify for the voc rehab. Does anyone have any information on this matter? I got my disability for sleep, depression, anxiety, and allergies, asthma, and respiratory issues. Will this be a no go for me?

Same. Ebenefits-->initial appointment: "found eligible" "determined SEH"---> next appointment 3 wks later signed a contract with employment goal of "physician/surgeon". was told my VRC could be hit by a bus and my contract would still be good. Not sure about Trump's amerika, but that's beyond my control.

@HMtoDO If you're a doc (like HM to DO alludes to), and accepted already (by "status" under your name to the left), its obviously in the same field you've already been involved with - whoever denied you is an @$$.

I was a doc, and went there with my acceptance letter in hand (along with all paperwork pre filled out and knew the regulations etc) Just got unlucky I suppose. I hope this review yields positive results!

I was a doc, and went there with my acceptance letter in hand (along with all paperwork pre filled out and knew the regulations etc) Just got unlucky I suppose. I hope this review yields positive results!

Sorry to hear that - I hope the review goes well as well. Keep us posted.

So I've been in and out of these forums and the Facebook page over the last three months (been busy with school..been slowly picking away at re-applying). But when people like HMtoDO and I are getting the shaft, despite having our ducks in a row, who is it that we contact to appeal this? I know there is the formal appeal process attached to our paperwork, but everyone I've heard about appealing says to email, say, the VA Secretary. Well, he is recently appointed and apparently there's no contact info yet? I'm ready to get this **** rolling but I'm hoping someone has some direct guidance for me/HMtoDO?

So I've been in and out of these forums and the Facebook page over the last three months (been busy with school..been slowly picking away at re-applying). But when people like HMtoDO and I are getting the shaft, despite having our ducks in a row, who is it that we contact to appeal this? I know there is the formal appeal process attached to our paperwork, but everyone I've heard about appealing says to email, say, the VA Secretary. Well, he is recently appointed and apparently there's no contact info yet? I'm ready to get this **** rolling but I'm hoping someone has some direct guidance for me/HMtoDO?

Yea that's a great question. I contacted my Veteran Rep from the congressional office for my state and we put together our case and sent it to Washington for an administrative review. I should be hearing back soon but if it is still denied the appeal is the next step as far as I understand.

First thing you want to do is ask for a review, not an appeal. You ask for a review from your VRC's supervisor and if you don't like that answer, their supervisor. You run it up the chain until you get to the regional office. At that point you should contact your congressman and anyone else you think can help you; you want to file an appeal as a last resort b/c the appeal will take a very, very long time to process; likely years from what I've heard from others.

Yea that's a great question. I contacted my Veteran Rep from the congressional office for my state and we put together our case and sent it to Washington for an administrative review. I should be hearing back soon but if it is still denied the appeal is the next step as far as I understand.

Is your Voc Rehab office in Vancouver WA?

If it is, PM me. There's some shady practice over there done to multiple vets.

No I meant as in DC

I understand your point. My original Voc Rehab counselor was from Tacoma WA and she took care of me. However, I have heard of stories of Voc Rehab counselors in Vancouver, WA screwing over their vets with straight illegal bs.

First thing you want to do is ask for a review, not an appeal. You ask for a review from your VRC's supervisor and if you don't like that answer, their supervisor. You run it up the chain until you get to the regional office. At that point you should contact your congressman and anyone else you think can help you; you want to file an appeal as a last resort b/c the appeal will take a very, very long time to process; likely years from what I've heard from others.

Thanks for this. I actually got a hold of a friend of a friend's counselor. I emailed him and asked straight up if my counselor was BSing me, and he said yes. He gave me the address to write to to re-open my case and ask for a new counselor. He confirmed this morning that the case had been re-opened under a new counselor and I would be hearing from him soon. I wish I could have just had him, as he seemed very understanding and helpful. But apparently you can't request a counselor.
Just a little update for anyone else in this boat.

Thanks for this. I actually got a hold of a friend of a friend's counselor. I emailed him and asked straight up if my counselor was BSing me, and he said yes. He gave me the address to write to to re-open my case and ask for a new counselor. He confirmed this morning that the case had been re-opened under a new counselor and I would be hearing from him soon. I wish I could have just had him, as he seemed very understanding and helpful. But apparently you can't request a counselor.
Just a little update for anyone else in this boat.

Fantastic news. It's a shame that there are people out there trying to deny veterans out of their hard earned benefits.

Reactions: 2 users
@esob @MusicDOc124 This thread is gold! Thank you all so much for the plethora of information!

I'm 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill eligible, 70% VA disability rating and already accepted to medical school. I had a bunch of questions WRT chapter 31 and 33, and how to cover roughly 9 months of tuition/fees the GI Bill wouldn't pay for... this thread smashed any doubts/questions I had. I plan on applying for VRE today; I'll keep you all in the loop as the situation develops. Cheers!

Reactions: 4 users
@esob @MusicDOc124 This thread is gold! Thank you all so much for the plethora of information!

I'm 100% Post 9/11 GI Bill eligible, 70% VA disability rating and already accepted to medical school. I had a bunch of questions WRT chapter 31 and 33, and how to cover roughly 9 months of tuition/fees the GI Bill wouldn't pay for... this thread smashed any doubts/questions I had. I plan on applying for VRE today; I'll keep you all in the loop as the situation develops. Cheers!

Awesome, keep up updated, and let us know if you run into any issues!

Anything we can do to help, just let us know.

Hello all.
I have my VRE appt coming next week and want to make sure i have my ducks in a row putting me in the best possible chance of getting approved. I'm 50% VA disabled, my service connected disabilities (shoulders, knee, tinnitus, ptsd) prevent me from being a welder/aircraft mechanic, i received my bachelors in biology and am currently finishing a master's in biomedical professions. Also, i was recently accepted to medical school. I've read through this thread twice and have my acceptance letter, undergrad and grad transcripts, smart transcript, disability rating form, dd-214, copy of the online skills assessment, and RNI (rehab needs inventory) form ready for the meeting.

I'm not sure what else documentation i need to bring but please let me know if i missed anything. I used to work as an EMT previously but stopped to complete my grad program and because of my shoulder problems from picking up pts (also have service connected shoulder problems) but i'm not sure if i should mention that. But if you guys have any other tips or advice related to the above please let me know. I'd like for this process to be as smooth as possible.

Hello all.
I have my VRE appt coming next week and want to make sure i have my ducks in a row putting me in the best possible chance of getting approved. I'm 50% VA disabled, my service connected disabilities (shoulders, knee, tinnitus, ptsd) prevent me from being a welder/aircraft mechanic, i received my bachelors in biology and am currently finishing a master's in biomedical professions. Also, i was recently accepted to medical school. I've read through this thread twice and have my acceptance letter, undergrad and grad transcripts, smart transcript, disability rating form, dd-214, copy of the online skills assessment, and RNI (rehab needs inventory) form ready for the meeting.

I'm not sure what else documentation i need to bring but please let me know if i missed anything. I used to work as an EMT previously but stopped to complete my grad program and because of my shoulder problems from picking up pts (also have service connected shoulder problems) but i'm not sure if i should mention that. But if you guys have any other tips or advice related to the above please let me know. I'd like for this process to be as smooth as possible.

It might be jumping the gun a bit but could also save you a trip back if you bring:

- A copy of the degree plan from the school
- tuition information for the school (b/c a VRC can only approve up to 50k without supervisor approval, which takes times)
- 3 job listing from BLS that show the job you are seeking (it can be any physician job) demonstrating you need a medical degree as entry level employment (eg. Anesthesiologists)
- A well thought out, ready-to-articulate defense of why your SCD's prevent you from entry level employment with your current education/training BUT won't prevent you from performing your duties as a physician (so hint, don't say you want to be a surgeon but that you can't be an EMT b/c it requires you to stand too much, lol)

Reactions: 2 users
It might be jumping the gun a bit but could also save you a trip back if you bring:

- A copy of the degree plan from the school
- tuition information for the school (b/c a VRC can only approve up to 50k without supervisor approval, which takes times)
- 3 job listing from BLS that show the job you are seeking (it can be any physician job) demonstrating you need a medical degree as entry level employment (eg. Anesthesiologists)
- A well thought out, ready-to-articulate defense of why your SCD's prevent you from entry level employment with your current education/training BUT won't prevent you from performing your duties as a physician (so hint, don't say you want to be a surgeon but that you can't be an EMT b/c it requires you to stand too much, lol)

These are very good points, thank you!

For sure keep us updated!

I just got to thinking, I know I've read this from others but I don't remember who. I understand you can get approved before an acceptance letter, right? I am still working on my undergraduate and I know I've heard of others having their undergrad included in their plan. Any elaboration/clarification on this?

Hello. I am curious if anyone on this thread has or knows someone who has received Voc. Rehab benis w/ only a 10% rating? 38 CFR 21.52 defines a SEH, and tbh the 3 merits of proofs are pretty doable in my circumstances. I have already been accepted to multiple professional programs, and I know exactly the career I want. I also have no problem defining why my 10% SC and my other disabilities (non-SC) impair my current field. I also have 6 months and 1 day of Post 9/11 left.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Hello. I am curious if anyone on this thread has or knows someone who has received Voc. Rehab benis w/ only a 10% rating? 38 CFR 21.52 defines a SEH, and tbh the 3 merits of proofs are pretty doable in my circumstances. I have already been accepted to multiple professional programs, and I know exactly the career I want. I also have no problem defining why my 10% SC and my other disabilities (non-SC) impair my current field. I also have 6 months and 1 day of Post 9/11 left.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I don't know anyone personally with 10% and SEH on VRE, however I have been rated with an SEH and I know others who have it as well (I suppose any of them could have 10%, but I don't know whether they have 10 or 100%).

I just got to thinking, I know I've read this from others but I don't remember who. I understand you can get approved before an acceptance letter, right? I am still working on my undergraduate and I know I've heard of others having their undergrad included in their plan. Any elaboration/clarification on this?

Don't know any of the details that other dealt with for approval prior to acceptance, but to answer one of the questions, yes it can be done.

Yes, if your career plan requires an advanced degree and you don't have an undergraduate degree, it can be included in your plan.

Wow, I'm 100% service connected and was told flat out...we are not paying for you to become a doctor.

Wow, I'm 100% service connected and was told flat out...we are not paying for you to become a doctor.
That's incredible. Like MusicDOc said, go above. I am in a similar situation and have requested a different counselor. If that doesn't work, I'm emailing someone outside of that office.

Yes, if your career plan requires an advanced degree and you don't have an undergraduate degree, it can be included in your plan.
Okay, that's what I figured. But I seem them easily just saying "no". I feel like they can simply say "how can we write a career plan for something that you haven't even been approved for yet?"

Okay, that's what I figured. But I seem them easily just saying "no". I feel like they can simply say "how can we write a career plan for something that you haven't even been approved for yet?"

They do it all the time, I see it on a regular basis in my work with other veterans on Ch 31 issues. The only prohibitive legal component is that they cannot write a plan that creates the need for > 48 months of benefits if you have not been determined to have an SEH. If you have an SEH, the sky is the limit.

I have a similar question as drsparks1061, I am close to graduating with an undergrad in econ but have yet to start my prereqs. Can I still apply for the voc rehab with physician/surgeon as my goal? With the 48 month limit, the voc rehab would stop in the middle of med school. Is this a problem? I will also have 2 days left of gi bill after I graduate this may.

I have a similar question as drsparks1061, I am close to graduating with an undergrad in econ but have yet to start my prereqs. Can I still apply for the voc rehab with physician/surgeon as my goal? With the 48 month limit, the voc rehab would stop in the middle of med school. Is this a problem? I will also have 2 days left of gi bill after I graduate this may.

Your situation is different. Voc rehab often finds a BS/BA as employable, especially in fields like finance and related (I imagine Econ). Without pre reqs, and with a degree in a completely different field, they may push back at that because you are employable, not to mention it would be almost 48 months for Med school alone give or take, plus time/tuition for the prerequisites/post bacc.

Did you use any of your GI bill? That takes away from the 48 months (i.e. If you used all 36 months, you have 12 months remaining).

It has the potential to be an issue, but not necessarily. It can be approved to go beyond 48 months to see you get employed, but you often have to meet certain circumstances based on the counselors perception. They won't approve it unless it covers you all the way because halfway through med school doesn't make you employable, nor does it mean you've reached the goal.

Good luck!

Hey guys, great information here; thank you for that!

I'm currently AD going through an MEB... Got diagnosed with Narcolepsy with Cataplexy, my PCM team expects me to be medically retired. (I easily meet the VSRD criteria for 80% with my condition)

I'd like to be a psychiatrist once I transition out of the service, but as of right now I have very few college credits (my third full time semester of college begins fall of this year) I'd really appreciate any input you guys can provide. My initial plan was to pay for undergrad out of my pocket and then use post 9/11 on med school, but that was before I even learned about Voc rehab. Would I be able to effectively use it for med school having so few undergrad credit hours? I'm doing my best to take advantage of TA while I'm still in the service, but who knows how long that'll last.

Yes, but I'd start with the GI Bill to get on track as pre-med. Declare yourself in the field and make it obvious to your counselor when you apply that you want to be a physician (and have the grades for it that show you have aptitude and ability for it). There are benefits and risks to using v not using the GI Bill for undergrad while saving it for med school.

Keep something in mind. While you may get 80% and thus qualify to apply, its still up to the counselor to some extend to approve med school. So make sure you're prepared to argue that your condition will not affect schooling (somewhat proven at that point with prior school work) or affect you on the job. Hopefully you can be rated with an SEH so that you can potentially get beyond the 48 month cap of the two combined.

What qualifies as SEH?
I wonder if I can change my goal towards the end in case I specialize (many dental residencies charge tuition).