2019-2020 Utah

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We just have to stay positive. Whatever happens, it is all going to be ok. We have waited this long what is one more day. It is all going to work out. I’ll keep you posted if anything changes!
I don’t want to give you false hope but the longer I didn’t get an email the more I thought it was going to be a call, because emails are sent out in batches but calls take a long time. Stay positive!

Members don't see this ad.

Another long time lurker coming out of the woodwork here :) But I got waitlisted yesterday as well. IS applicant. And for those who got waitlisted, looking at stats from 2018, it looks like there’s a movement of around 25 people off the waitlist total. They extended 150 offers of acceptance and only matriculated 125.

Reactions: 1 user
Just checked MSAR. Current numbers are accept 45/75 of those waitlisted.

-I also just got the waitlist email. Got Rejected last year so a step up!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just checked MSAR. Current numbers are accept 45/75 of those waitlisted.

-I also just got the waitlist email. Got Rejected last year so a step up!!

253443BE-96D9-4546-88C7-B646EFDCA987.jpeg

Also, if I had to guess, waitlist movement won’t happen until after:

April
15th= down to 3 schools
30th= down to 1 school

I had to take the whole day yesterday to process, I cried for nearly 4 hours and my family was really gutted but I am feeling much more optimistic today. I'm so sorry @koster35, @dr_of_rock and everyone that also got the R, you all deserved better! I know with certainty we all did everything, and way more, to be competitive applicants. If anything I think the idea we aren't good enough for this school hurts more than the loss of opportunity itself.
Even when I told myself it was unlikely I'd get in, I still got my degree at the U of U and 3 of my 5 letters were from U of U professors/faculty, all my volunteer experience has been serving this community, I was born and raised here in this culture, my family and everything I love is in Utah. It was extremely heartbreaking to get the R because if feels like these things were essentially worthless to them.
Even so, the applicants that got accepted and waitlisted are extremely deserving (congrats @Doctor13J !) and so are we! Whatever scoring it comes down to, it still involves a good deal of randomness and bias and that doesn't mean we're not worthy; I can confirm as an expert that y'all are cool as hell. Those of you that choose to reapply, it is a wonderful school that is subject to the same limitations as every medical school-- don't give up your dream, whether that is going to UUSOM or anywhere else!
For my part, I am stoked to be accepted to a DO school and I am nervous/excited to be moving with my man to KC. We are both lifetime Utahns and could use some heterogeneity in our world views. I know a lot of you are in the same boat and I am extremely excited for you! At the end of the day, we're going to be friggen doctors :clap:

You’re the best!! I’m sad that we won’t get to be friends at the U, but so excited that we will all be starting this journey of becoming doctors together. Good luck in KC. Most likely I will be in Nebraska, so not too far away! So excited for all of us lucky enough to be starting the adventure this fall.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
You’re the best!! I’m sad that we won’t get to be friends at the U, but so excited that we will all be starting this journey of becoming doctors together. Good luck in KC. Most likely I will be in Nebraska, so not too far away! So excited for all of us lucky enough to be starting the adventure this fall.
You're going to be a fabulous doc, and in spirit I've got your back even though we will go to different schools. Whether you're at the U or Nebraska it's going to be dope! Best of luck :happy:

• Love
For anyone who hasn’t gotten a response, be sure to check your junk folder! I was waiting and waiting until I checked my junk email, and it was there! Waitlist for me (IS)

Reactions: 2 users
For anyone who hasn’t gotten a response, be sure to check your junk folder! I was waiting and waiting until I checked my junk email, and it was there! Waitlist for me (IS)
Thanks for the tip! I just checked and also received an email. Waitlist for me as well (OOS, BYU grad)

Are you accepted at UNMC?

Anyone not hear anything? I looked in my junk email and nothing...looks like I’ll be calling Monday :corny:

• Sad
Anyone not hear anything? I looked in my junk email and nothing...looks like I’ll be calling Monday :corny:
Yea I would give them a call Monday- especially since that Facebook post was pretty clear that everyone should have expected an answer one way or another. I’m sorry, it was driving me nuts thinking I hadn’t heard anything the last two days, and I could imagine waiting longer is even worse, but here’s to hoping it’s good news!

Members don't see this ad :)
OOS waitlist here... was there much movement in past years in the OOS alternate list?

I was looking at the Utah match list and it’s pretty good. There are a lot of students going to good programs all over the nation BUT my question is: do most people prefer to get a residency away from their med school? Not many Utah students stayed in Utah. I’m not sure if that is by choice or if there weren’t a lot of spots open or what?

I was looking at the Utah match list and it’s pretty good. There are a lot of students going to good programs all over the nation BUT my question is: do most people prefer to get a residency away from their med school? Not many Utah students stayed in Utah. I’m not sure if that is by choice or if there weren’t a lot of spots open or what?
Good question. I'm a current senior undergrad at the U and I can only speak from my conversations with med students over the four years that I've been here. Generally, there seems to be a "get out of Utah vibe" prevalent amongst students, for better or for worse. This is certainly true for the undergrads, and it seems to apply to the med students as well. It isn't necessarily to say that the U is a bad program (which it isn't) but that many students might just be looking for a change. Even though Utah is predominantly Mormon, the U is far more diverse from a religious standpoint, and I believe that this is somewhat of a contributing factor as well (as someone who grew up in the state and isn't Mormon). Some people might want a change from the culture that they grew up in, and the match list may reflect that. That being said, from my limited conversations with med students, it seems that those who have wanted to stay in the state generally haven't had a problem doing so either.

On another note, I think some caveats of the campus culture might also be worth mentioning for those of you considering this program from out of state. While I have had many positive experiences at the U, I should emphasize that the U is by no means a traditional campus. Nearly everyone commutes (including >90% of the undergrads) and this affects campus culture significantly. Main campus is a ghost town after 3 PM. On the medical campus, this translates into more of a 9-5 culture (or more like 9-4). For med students, this seems to manifest as a defined work-life balance, in the sense that many seem to like to keep their studying and personal lives relatively separate.

Also, all students (undergrads, grad students, med students, etc.) are generally older than what you might expect at most other institutions (likely due in part to Mormon two-year religious missions). As a result, by and large the majority of first year med students come in married, married with kids, or in a relationship long term. This may affect the social culture to some extent (and probably contributes to the defined work-life balance).

This is perhaps a bit more of a trivial item, but parking on campus is also a nightmare for everyone. Commuter Services charges exorbitant prices for parking passes and has no mercy when it comes to parking tickets. They are universally disliked on campus.

Of course, these are only some items that may be perceived as potential negatives, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I might be a bit biased as I've decided to matriculate at a med school in the northeast (due to better ranking, opportunities, location preference) instead of coming here. Overall, I've had great opportunities here as an undergrad and most med students that I've talked to have seemed to enjoy their experience here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Good question. I'm a current senior undergrad at the U and I can only speak from my conversations with med students over the four years that I've been here. Generally, there seems to be a "get out of Utah vibe" prevalent amongst students, for better or for worse. This is certainly true for the undergrads, and it seems to apply to the med students as well. It isn't necessarily to say that the U is a bad program (which it isn't) but that many students might just be looking for a change. Even though Utah is predominantly Mormon, the U is far more diverse from a religious standpoint, and I believe that this is somewhat of a contributing factor as well (as someone who grew up in the state and isn't Mormon). Some people might want a change from the culture that they grew up in, and the match list may reflect that. That being said, from my limited conversations with med students, it seems that those who have wanted to stay in the state generally haven't had a problem doing so either.

On another note, I think some caveats of the campus culture might also be worth mentioning for those of you considering this program from out of state. While I have had many positive experiences at the U, I should emphasize that the U is by no means a traditional campus. Nearly everyone commutes (including >90% of the undergrads) and this affects campus culture significantly. Main campus is a ghost town after 3 PM. On the medical campus, this translates into more of a 9-5 culture (or more like 9-4). For med students, this seems to manifest as a defined work-life balance, in the sense that many seem to like to keep their studying and personal lives relatively separate.

Also, all students (undergrads, grad students, med students, etc.) are generally older than what you might expect at most other institutions (likely due in part to Mormon two-year religious missions). As a result, by and large the majority of first year med students come in married, married with kids, or in a relationship long term. This may affect the social culture to some extent (and probably contributes to the defined work-life balance).

This is perhaps a bit more of a trivial item, but parking on campus is also a nightmare for everyone. Commuter Services charges exorbitant prices for parking passes and has no mercy when it comes to parking tickets. They are universally disliked on campus.

Of course, these are only some items that may be perceived as potential negatives, so take all of this with a grain of salt. I might be a bit biased as I've decided to matriculate at a med school in the northeast (due to better ranking, opportunities, location preference) instead of coming here. Overall, I've had great opportunities here as an undergrad and most med students that I've talked to have seemed to enjoy their experience here.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
This is what is so disappointing about being rejected here. So many accepted students want to “get out of Utah” as soon as they are done, but the objective as a state school is to train future Utah doctors. Come hell or high water I’m a future Utah rural physician. My roots and future are in Utah due to family, it’s my home. Never once did they even ask “why us” on interview day. They should care about that. I’m from up north and my father (U of U trained physician) said every doctor, all specialties, to come to our agricultural area in the past few years is a DO. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against DO, I might end up training DO and I’ll do it proudly. My point is that despite what they claim, the U is failing rural Utah.

Reactions: 3 users
MSAR's updated information notes that Utah waitlists ~90 spots each year and accepts ~75 of those positions. Is this a mistake on MSAR's part because it doesn't seem accurate that the school would accept more than half of its entering class off of the waitlist?

This is what is so disappointing about being rejected here. So many accepted students want to “get out of Utah” as soon as they are done, but the objective as a state school is to train future Utah doctors. Come hell or high water I’m a future Utah rural physician. My roots and future are in Utah due to family, it’s my home. Never once did they even ask “why us” on interview day. They should care about that. I’m from up north and my father (U of U trained physician) said every doctor, all specialties, to come to our agricultural area in the past few years is a DO. Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against DO, I might end up training DO and I’ll do it proudly. My point is that despite what they claim, the U is failing rural Utah.

Did you do the EDP for UofU? I'm not positive but I would think the people who do EDP get a better chance to explain "Why Utah?"

Did you do the EDP for UofU? I'm not positive but I would think the people who do EDP get a better chance to explain "Why Utah?"
I did not do EDP, I applied broadly because my application has strong points and weaker points and I didn’t know where I would be competitive. I didn’t want to have to apply super late to all my other schools. Do you really think the interview day is different for EDP? I still probably wouldn’t consider reapplying though...I’m in a bind financially and I really to start this thing.

anyone else frustrated that the U is delaying their financial aid release to April 15th? That hardly leaves anytime to decide on my top three schools, and very little time to negotiate with other schools before April 30th...

anyone else frustrated that the U is delaying their financial aid release to April 15th? That hardly leaves anytime to decide on my top three schools, and very little time to negotiate with other schools before April 30th...

I wish AAMC would push back the April 30th deadline, too. This is actually a problem for a couple of the schools I'm waiting on.

I did not do EDP, I applied broadly because my application has strong points and weaker points and I didn’t know where I would be competitive. I didn’t want to have to apply super late to all my other schools. Do you really think the interview day is different for EDP? I still probably wouldn’t consider reapplying though...I’m in a bind financially and I really to start this thing.

I imagine the interview stays consistent with the interviews during the normal cycle. However, I would think that the secondary application would be a little different for EDP and might give you more of a chance to explain why you would be such a great fit there. Would be nice to have someone confirm that though? This might not be the case at all.

I imagine the interview stays consistent with the interviews during the normal cycle. However, I would think that the secondary application would be a little different for EDP and might give you more of a chance to explain why you would be such a great fit there. Would be nice to have someone confirm that though? This might not be the case at all.
I applied regular decision last year and EDP this year, I did not notice any differences.

I applied regular decision last year and EDP this year, I did not notice any differences.

Good to know. I guess it makes sense that they keep it exactly consistent since EDP applicants go into the regular pool if they don't get the A straight off.

What is the award letter? For financial Aid?

Yes, for scholarships. Originally they told us they would send it on April 1st, but then delayed that to April 15th due to complications from the coronavirus. I still haven't gotten anything though, so now I'm wondering whether it's because I got no scholarships or they just haven't sent them yet haha.

I got an email asking me to setup a Zoom appointment with the financial aid office. Maybe we will discuss it then?

A current student talked to the office and was told they are having internet issues but will have them out by the end of the week.

Is the financial aid only for if you commit to a school, or does it kind of help you gauge what school you are going to choose?

Is the financial aid only for if you commit to a school, or does it kind of help you gauge what school you are going to choose?

It's supposed to help you commit. I know some people even negotiate with schools for more financial aid before committing to attend (though I haven't tried this yet myself).

Apparently the award letters are sent to your umail address.

If I can see a "Financial Aid Award Letter" including an FDL HEAL loan under the "Financial Aid Offer" on my CIS account, but there is nothing under the separate "Scholarship Offer" tab, does that mean that I was awarded no scholarships? Or does it just mean that they haven't posted it yet? Or does no one know? I still can't access my umail account, otherwise I would check there.

I was just told that a separate scholarship email would be sent out in the next couple of days and that it was being sent to my gmail rather than my umail address.

If I can see a "Financial Aid Award Letter" including an FDL HEAL loan under the "Financial Aid Offer" on my CIS account, but there is nothing under the separate "Scholarship Offer" tab, does that mean that I was awarded no scholarships? Or does it just mean that they haven't posted it yet? Or does no one know? I still can't access my umail account, otherwise I would check there.

Was able to access Umail just now, and looks like the award letter was sent there on Tuesday. It doesn't differ from what I have in the portal on my CIS account. Same situation for me...I guess no scholarships for me.

I just got an email stating that the scholarships are delayed. I’m sure it will get worked out soon.

“Dear Students,

I am again letting you know that we are still experiencing issues with our scholarship application. We will be working on this over the weekend and are hopeful that notification will be sent by email early next week.”

I just got an email stating that the scholarships are delayed. I’m sure it will get worked out soon.

“Dear Students,

I am again letting you know that we are still experiencing issues with our scholarship application. We will be working on this over the weekend and are hopeful that notification will be sent by email early next week.”

I appreciate them letting us know. I am a bit frustrated by this. I was counting on those scholarships to help make my decision between a few acceptances (not to mention negotiate for more financial aid if possible), but now I might not find out about scholarships until three days or less before the Commit to Enroll deadline on April 30th. :confused: I hope they can figure it out soon.

I appreciate them letting us know. I am a bit frustrated by this. I was counting on those scholarships to help make my decision between a few acceptances (not to mention negotiate for more financial aid if possible), but now I might not find out about scholarships until three days or less before the Commit to Enroll deadline on April 30th. :confused: I hope they can figure it out soon.
I am also very frustrated by this, I am in the same boat as you and this makes making these decisions even harder. Its also very unprofessional.

I am also very frustrated by this, I am in the same boat as you and this makes making these decisions even harder. Its also very unprofessional.
Also frustrated, but this was sent to current students on Friday, so I’m pretty sure by “early next week“ it really means early this week. Fingers crossed.

Also frustrated, but this was sent to current students on Friday, so I’m pretty sure by “early next week“ it really means early this week. Fingers crossed.

Ooh, I hope you're right. I wish they had made that clear in the email, since we just got it this morning.

Just talked to Wendy, and she said that scholarship notifications would go out this afternoon!