VCU/MCV Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
SU is $26,500 plus $500/semester for the computer they require you to lease
http://pharmacy.su.edu/PharmWeb/indexmenu/NavIndex.cfm?fuseaction=TradFAQAnswers

For VCU, you can use their tuition calculator:
http://www.enrollment.vcu.edu/accounting/tuition_fees/calculator.html
For the 2010-2011 school year, the number it shows me for out-of-state tuition and fees is $16,510. You may want to check on that though because it seems pretty low.

For VCU, it's $16,510 per semester for out-of-state students.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed at Shenandoah. It was short and sweet, just a really nice professor and a student asking questions for about 20 minutes. Then a tour, but the school is pretty small, so it only took about 15 minutes. I got an acceptance email 3 days after the interview. Good luck!

For those of you accepted to VCU, how long did it take from the time you released your background check to the time you received your acceptance letter? I got a conditional acceptance email 3 weeks after my VCU interview, and it took a week for the background check to come back. I released it immediately last Monday, but haven't gotten a letter yet. I heard Shenandoah doesn't request a background check until after you've put a deposit down, and I'm really hoping it was VCU that requested it.

getting the mail after releasing the background check took awhile.. I don't remember the specifics but.. almost 3 weeks i think?? Don't worry.. you will get it sooner or later :)

Members don't see this ad :)
So then I'm assuming VCU is $33,020 for the year? Because each academic year consists of 2 semesters, right?

yea approximately.. since tuition increases every year.. not sure what the 'exact' amount would be.. hopefully it doesn't increase too much

I interviewed 2/12 and I heard that this Saturday (3/5/11) is the last interview session... I could be wrong though. I am anxiously waiting! I loved VCU's interview process, it was so laid back and everyone was extremely friendly! Anyone who has interviewed at VCU also interview at Shenandoah? I have an interview with Shenandoah 3/21 and was just wondering how the two compare (like what did you think of each one)?

I too was REALLY impressed with the interview process at VCU. Sorry though, I didn't apply to Shenandoah.

I interviewed 2/12 and I heard that this Saturday (3/5/11) is the last interview session... I could be wrong though.

I sure hope that's not the case, otherwise my efforts this year are pretty much over (stupid PharmCAS). At least I got a pretty solid PCAT score and re-obtaining my references shouldn't be difficult. :\

Has anyone who interviewed on 2/12 heard anything back from VCU?

After about 7 weeks, PharmCAS has FINALLY mailed out my application materials. Now I get to wait and see if I have to pick up the phone and yell at someone for mailing them too late.

Pharmcas mailed my application yesterday and I got an interview call today!!!! For march 19th......I'm excited but also nervous

Pharmcas mailed my application yesterday and I got an interview call today!!!! For march 19th......I'm excited but also nervous

Congrats! I didn't know they were still holding interview sessions, guess that means I have to wait even longer to hear back from them regarding their final decision... WAITING IS KILLING ME!!!

Hey, did anyone from the interview on February 12 hear anything from VCU yet?
Thanks.:)

Did any1 from the interview on 2/5 hear anything or get accepted? I havent heard anything from them yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey

do any of you guys know when our white coat ceremony will be?
and also if there is any other student orientation or something before our first day of classes?

I'm planning on going on a trip out of country so just wondering when it would be best to return to move in and all that.

Thanks!

hey

do any of you guys know when our white coat ceremony will be?
and also if there is any other student orientation or something before our first day of classes?

I'm planning on going on a trip out of country so just wondering when it would be best to return to move in and all that.

Thanks!

Yeah, the white coat ceremony is sometime in the middle of the semester and orientation is 3 school days before school starts for everyone else (3rd week of August).

So everyone starts Aug. 15 this year and orientation will be on Aug. 10, 11, and 12.

Have fun!

Yeah, the white coat ceremony is sometime in the middle of the semester and orientation is 3 school days before school starts for everyone else (3rd week of August).

So everyone starts Aug. 15 this year and orientation will be on Aug. 10, 11, and 12.

Have fun!

thanks for answering!

but.. r u sure about that??
on the vcu academic calender.. it says aug 25th as fall classes begin..
unless mcv runs on a diff schedule.. we might start then too?

thanks for answering!

but.. r u sure about that??
on the vcu academic calender.. it says aug 25th as fall classes begin..
unless mcv runs on a diff schedule.. we might start then too?

The MCV campus has a different academic calendar in that many things that apply to the Monroe Park Campus do not apply to it, and vice versa.

The MCV campus has a different academic calendar in that many things that apply to the Monroe Park Campus do not apply to it, and vice versa.

Actually i am accepted to VCU/MCV for class of 2015 and to answer your Questions
1. white coat ceremony will be before class start which the class of 2014 had their white coat ceremony on Aug 21, 2010 and class was started on Aug 26, 2010
2. class starts usually between Aug 18-27 and it is the same for both campus Monroe and MCV
i am very certain for my answers because i graduated from VCU and i am taking class at MCV campus currently. I hope this information is accurate but you can always ask by calling the adm office.

:thumbup:

Actually i am accepted to VCU/MCV for class of 2015 and to answer your Questions
1. white coat ceremony will be before class start which the class of 2014 had their white coat ceremony on Aug 21, 2010 and class was started on Aug 26, 2010
2. class starts usually between Aug 18-27 and it is the same for both campus Monroe and MCV
i am very certain for my answers because i graduated from VCU and i am taking class at MCV campus currently. I hope this information is accurate but you can always ask by calling the adm office.

I'm sorry, but I think you're mistaken, because I got my info directly from the calendar from the VCU School of Pharmacy website:
http://www.pharmacy.vcu.edu/sub/exper/docs/AcademicCalendar.pdf

And I read on here from last year that the pharmacy school starts the 3rd week of August, with orientation 3 days before, and that calendar verifies that info.

:thumbup:

I'm sorry, but I think you're mistaken, because I got my info directly from the calendar from the VCU School of Pharmacy website:
http://www.pharmacy.vcu.edu/sub/exper/docs/AcademicCalendar.pdf

And I read on here from last year that the pharmacy school starts the 3rd week of August, with orientation 3 days before, and that calendar verifies that info.

yayyy!! thanks cloud9! :D

that linked made things sooo much easier haha
so I guess.. I have to plan to move in around like the 1st weekend of August.

where does everyone plan on living? anyone find a place yet? I'll be moving into an apartment about a 10 minute walk from school the first week of August.

where does everyone plan on living? anyone find a place yet? I'll be moving into an apartment about a 10 minute walk from school the first week of August.

i'm gonna try to get a place at cedar broad.. you??
kinda pricey.. but seemed fairly close enough to walk and stuff..

I actually just signed a 2 year lease at cedar broad. The place is awesome! Good specials going on and I got to reserve my apartment already. Move in date will be July 30.

I actually just signed a 2 year lease at cedar broad. The place is awesome! Good specials going on and I got to reserve my apartment already. Move in date will be July 30.

And I did the walk a few days ago...it took about 10 minutes.

ANYTHING GUYS?? Its been more than 5 weeks and I want to know nowwwwwwwww ;(

I emailed Melissa from admissions and she said they haven't made any final decisions yet because they've still been interviewing candidates... she didn't say when we would start hearing back but it's gotta be soon. I know, the wait is killing me too!

I emailed Melissa from admissions and she said they haven't made any final decisions yet because they've still been interviewing candidates... she didn't say when we would start hearing back but it's gotta be soon. I know, the wait is killing me too!

Thanks for sharing this information. In fact, I called them last Tuesday, they told me that the admission committee have not met yet.

Thanks for sharing this information. In fact, I called them last Tuesday, they told me that the admission committee have not met yet.

I just signed up for this website a few days ago and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it lol (It took forever to have my activation code sent to me). Hopefully this will post correctly.

Anyways, yeah I called VCU on Tue and I said I haven't heard anything either. She told me that they're still making decisions because there are a "couple" (I'm guessing two...) interviews to go. I hope to find out soon because VCU is my #1 choice.

I'm scared that I'm going to get accepted to other schools before VCU lets me know anything. So if this is the case, do most people accept the offer from the other school and pay the deposit? But if I get accepted to VCU then I just lost out on a few hundred dollars to the other school. But if I don't get accepted to VCU and don't pay a deposit to the other school, then I'm basically screwed lol. So I'm guessing my best bet is to go ahead and accept the offer from the other school and pay the deposit just in case. Any other suggestions?

I just signed up for this website a few days ago and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it lol (It took forever to have my activation code sent to me). Hopefully this will post correctly.

Anyways, yeah I called VCU on Tue and I said I haven't heard anything either. She told me that they're still making decisions because there are a "couple" (I'm guessing two...) interviews to go. I hope to find out soon because VCU is my #1 choice.

I'm scared that I'm going to get accepted to other schools before VCU lets me know anything. So if this is the case, do most people accept the offer from the other school and pay the deposit? But if I get accepted to VCU then I just lost out on a few hundred dollars to the other school. But if I don't get accepted to VCU and don't pay a deposit to the other school, then I'm basically screwed lol. So I'm guessing my best bet is to go ahead and accept the offer from the other school and pay the deposit just in case. Any other suggestions?

A friend of mine ended up losing his 1000 dollar deposit cuz he ran into the same problem.. he paid his deposit at some pharm school in Chicago but about a month later he got into his first choice which was Rhode Island. The deposit was non-refundable but he said it was worth the comfort of having a 'back-up'.
I didn't want to run into this problem so that's why I did VCU early decision lol
if I were in your position.. I would pay the deposit for your second best choice just so I know I have a school to go to if things don't work out as wanted.
I hope you get into VCU tho!!

Getting ready to print off my information from PharmCAS. Guess I'll try for early decision next year.

This has the potential to be a sticky situation. I am slightly stressed about it, but whatever is meant to be will be. I'll be praying for the Lord's guidance and to do His will. In the meantime I'll continue doing what I do and keep my grades up.

Coredesat, keep your head up. Apparently there are a couple more interviews to go. Perhaps you'll interview soon.

I'm getting so anxious to hear back from VCU. I absolutely fell in love with this school when I interviewed and all the people seem so nice! It is my first choice too, I hope we all hear soon! Anyone who is planning on attending if they get accepted and wants a roomie, I am looking for one (pending I get accepted of course lol). I'm female, very clean, organized, and easy to get along with! I do have a medium-sized dog (~30lbs.) but she is so sweet (she's a sheltie). Once we all hear back, anyone who is interested in finding a roommate and who doesn't mind living with a dog, let me know! Anyone have any ideas on which apartments are nice?

There is a discussion about this on the VCU C/O 2015 Facebook page message boards if you want to check it out!

Has anyone called recently and asked what is going on? Everyone i know that has interviewed after 1/29 is still waiting to hear and everytime i call they tell me the committee hasn't met yet! the suspense is just about killing me!

Has anyone called recently and asked what is going on? Everyone i know that has interviewed after 1/29 is still waiting to hear and everytime i call they tell me the committee hasn't met yet! the suspense is just about killing me!

i called last week and they said the same thing! i interviewed 2/12... its crazy that they are making us wait this long! i see you got an interview invite to UMB congrats! i applied there but didn't get an interview because i think my pcat score was too low. but good luck!!

i called last week and they said the same thing! i interviewed 2/12... its crazy that they are making us wait this long! i see you got an interview invite to UMB congrats! i applied there but didn't get an interview because i think my pcat score was too low. but good luck!!

HEY! this is the old "travis" haha. i changed my name so i could post but yea i got the invite today, so excited and unexpected! Hopefully its a sign of good things to come this week...like vcu acceptances!

HEY! this is the old "travis" haha. i changed my name so i could post but yea i got the invite today, so excited and unexpected! Hopefully its a sign of good things to come this week...like vcu acceptances!

"travis"? i was talking to you the other day on facebook right? lol.. that is so awesome you got an interview to UMB, its like crazy hard to get in there!

"travis"? i was talking to you the other day on facebook right? lol.. that is so awesome you got an interview to UMB, its like crazy hard to get in there!

yes you were! yea i know i still cant believe i got an interview...i had to read the email twice, i thought it was a joke. VCU is still #1 though!:xf:

yes you were! yea i know i still cant believe i got an interview...i had to read the email twice, i thought it was a joke. VCU is still #1 though!:xf:

well congrats! i just got an email from shenandoah that i was accepted :) this week feels like a good week to me! and i don't have to pay the deposit until may so we should definitely hear from VCU by then

well congrats! i just got an email from shenandoah that i was accepted :) this week feels like a good week to me! and i don't have to pay the deposit until may so we should definitely hear from VCU by then

Thats great! This is definitely a good sign for this week, I'm feeling an email tonight!

So my pharmcas sent out my application on March 14th. I called on the 22nd and Melissa told me that my application was under preliminary review. Does it stay under preliminary review for very long? It is the 29th now, should I be worried? When does adcom meet (if anyone knows)? Also she said they are still doing interviews. Does anyone know when? Are there still seats available?

anyone hear anything yet?

Nope :mad: and to answer the question above...considering that every time someone calls they say the committee hasn't met, i think its safe to say that they haven't met in a very very long time. But hopefully they'll be meeting soon (tonight :xf:) and will let us all know very shortly!

So my pharmcas sent out my application on March 14th. I called on the 22nd and Melissa told me that my application was under preliminary review. Does it stay under preliminary review for very long? It is the 29th now, should I be worried? When does adcom meet (if anyone knows)? Also she said they are still doing interviews. Does anyone know when? Are there still seats available?
Hey, sorry I don't know the answers to these questions, but I did want to say good luck! and yeah they are slow!

It appears that many people are waiting for the admissions committee to convene. May I ask why the switch from dental to pharm?

Final Four! Doin' BIG THANGS VCU! You're in the national spotlight!

someone call tomorrow and see whats up and when they gonna let us know. i would but i've called too many times already aha