Vascular Surgery 5+2 Application (Match day May 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many vascular fellowships did you apply to?

• Total voters
None of the above.

Members don't see this ad.

In response to grayjay and buffettfan, Michigan and Wisconsin have both sent out invitations

Members don't see this ad :)
I have now heard from a reliable source that Methodist does not have internal candidates lined up.

I wonder if they have an internal candidate they are planning to take? Or are they just not worried about the timing because they think people will cancel other interviews to make theirs. Hmm.

anyone heard from Colombia, beth isreal, florida, michigan, stanford, brigham, Mt sinai? Those are a few I have not heard from
I think Brigham sent out invitations. I didn't get one but someone else I know in the match did.

I'm still waiting to hear from them (assume rejection), Stanford, UCSD, UW, Columbia, Beth Israel, Dartmouth.

Some programs do interview really late-- I know there are a couple on my list that don't interview until March or April. I've been trying to keep track of the programs that I haven't heard from but others have gotten offers to (assuming rejections), but I still have 8 that I haven't heard from and haven't seen anyone else post about, either. If anyone has gotten offers (or rejections) from any of these, can you please post?

University of Iowa
University of Kentucky (Lexington)
Texas A&M Scott and White
University of Florida
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin (Madison)
West Virginia University/Charleston Medical Center
Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte, NC)

Heard from university of Wisconsin and Carolinas

Yea, I emailed the program director and he just hasn't reviewed the applications.

Understood. I was just postulating before that the reason behind not reviewing apps yet might have been they had someone in mind already or another reason. Sounds like it was just the confluence of timing of residency interviews, SAVS in cancun, and the holidays.

Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from Michigan and Cornell today

I was wondering if people wanted to start writing about their interviews. Where they had been and what they did and did not like about certain places.

i heard from dartmouth yesterday. beth israel sent out an email saying that they would send invitations by feb. 15th. also still haven't heard anything from stanford, UW.

Ditto BID and Stanford. Have heard from both UWs though.

It seems that nobody has heard from stanford? On their website it says their interview date is march 10 so I figure they must have sent out invitations. Still waiting on BID as well.

Email from Kentucky saying they are not doing any interviews and plan to match an internal candidate.

Can I have my $10 or whatever back from ERAS?

Ha! That's exactly what I thought when I got that email, too!

I have a question for everyone. Has anyone had programs doing the "We really think you'd fit in great here, we are going to rank you at the top of our list" thing? I know that in residency interviews, some programs say a version of that speech to pretty much everyone they like, but has anyone run into that same game for fellowship interviews? I had a program that is one of my top choices say this, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to actually allow myself to believe that it means anything.

No one has been that blunt with me, but a high ranked person at one of my top choices gave me his cell phone number for any questions I had and said to have one of my mentors call if I thought I wanted to come there. I'm assuming isn't a bad thing but I'm going to the rest of my interviews with an open mind. Doesn't make sense to drive myself crazy trying to decide what to make of that and I'm also not trusting enough to attend any fewer interviews even if anyone told me they would rank me 1st.

Ha! That's exactly what I thought when I got that email, too!

I have a question for everyone. Has anyone had programs doing the "We really think you'd fit in great here, we are going to rank you at the top of our list" thing? I know that in residency interviews, some programs say a version of that speech to pretty much everyone they like, but has anyone run into that same game for fellowship interviews? I had a program that is one of my top choices say this, and I'm trying to decide whether or not to actually allow myself to believe that it means anything.

Reactions: 1 user
Got an interview for Tufts today. Anyone know anything about the program? Might have to decide between that and another program. (might be Boston U.)

Yup!

Reactions: 1 user
In an effort to revive this thread, and since we are winding down on interview season and ramping up ranking season, I have a question. How are people rectifying the varied information programs are giving us on their operative numbers? I have the numbers from a bunch of places but it has been presented in about 10 different ways. Some people just give you the index categories i.e. Cerebrovascular, abdominal. Some just give percentiles. It's often like comparing apples to bricks.

Also a couple of places have put their numbers in presentations on interview day but have not given it out.

Are people comfortable e-mailing either fellowship coordinators or current fellows and asking for that information if it's not explicitly provided?

In an effort to revive this thread, and since we are winding down on interview season and ramping up ranking season, I have a question. How are people rectifying the varied information programs are giving us on their operative numbers? I have the numbers from a bunch of places but it has been presented in about 10 different ways. Some people just give you the index categories i.e. Cerebrovascular, abdominal. Some just give percentiles. It's often like comparing apples to bricks.

Also a couple of places have put their numbers in presentations on interview day but have not given it out.

Are people comfortable e-mailing either fellowship coordinators or current fellows and asking for that information if it's not explicitly provided?

I'm comfortable. Where possible, I prefer to compare case volumes (not percentiles) for 2nd-year fellows up to the point of the interview day OR last year's graduating fellows numbers. If I don't have that, I've been asking for it either on the interview day or in subsequent interview.

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight into the Boston University program? Its going to cost me about $500 to get there. I have a friend I can stay with so no $$ for hotel, but that's still a chunk of change just for travel. I keep wavering on whether I should cancel or go. For reference, I'm looking to match into a program that places graduates in privademics or academics at least 50% of the time, I h ave 13 other interviews I have gone on. I'm not worried so much about matching but making sure I wouldn't be skipping a program I would have otherwise ranked highly. No one from my home program has much knowledge on the program outside of "Farber is there." Geographic location doesn't matter.

I'm comfortable. Where possible, I prefer to compare case volumes (not percentiles) for 2nd-year fellows up to the point of the interview day OR last year's graduating fellows numbers. If I don't have that, I've been asking for it either on the interview day or in subsequent interview.

Does anyone have any thoughts/insight into the Boston University program? Its going to cost me about $500 to get there. I have a friend I can stay with so no $$ for hotel, but that's still a chunk of change just for travel. I keep wavering on whether I should cancel or go. For reference, I'm looking to match into a program that places graduates in privademics or academics at least 50% of the time, I h ave 13 other interviews I have gone on. I'm not worried so much about matching but making sure I wouldn't be skipping a program I would have otherwise ranked highly. No one from my home program has much knowledge on the program outside of "Farber is there." Geographic location doesn't matter.

How anyone thinks that it is acceptable to do this is baffling to me. We essentially put up our case logs up on the screen for applicants to see from the last 3 years of graduates... Number of cases divided into categories...

Thinks this is acceptable... Do you mean not acceptable to email the program and request the info if not provided in hard copy form? Or not acceptable for the programs not to provide it? I have it written down for most of the programs that flashed it on a slide but I don't for a few just because of the short amount of time it was up. But I don't see how asking for a PC to provide it again if needed is inappropriate?

How anyone thinks that it is acceptable to do this is baffling to me. We essentially put up our case logs up on the screen for applicants to see from the last 3 years of graduates... Number of cases divided into categories...

I assume you mean it's baffling that programs don't always readily provide the information, in which case I couldn't agree more. To take it a step further I have no idea why the information isn't available to anyone with an acgme login, scrubbed of names of course. It should essentially be public information.

Someone started a Facebook group for this years vascular match so everyone can stay in touch and find out where every one goes, etc.

If you want to be added feel free to PM me and I can give you my info so you can friend me and I can then add you to the group.