Vascular Surgery 5+2 Application (Match day May 2016)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How many vascular fellowships did you apply to?

• Total voters
also loyola

Members don't see this ad.

Mayo Rochester and University of Tennessee Chattanooga today

Upenn and North shore LIJ

Members don't see this ad :)
VCU today. ECU, Ochsner, and UPMC last week

got henry ford, medstart washington and rutgers so in addition

rejections from U pittsberg, Uconn, colorado, Northwestern and St louis

Anyone else interviewing at Michigan 3/21 and Mayo 3/22?

Members don't see this ad :)
heard from UVA and baylor (houston). when is vanderbilt interviewing?

I am so glad I found this thread. I applied the 2nd week that the applications were open. So far Have Interviews at UPMC, Rush, University of San Antonio, Hofstra North Shore LIJ, University of Buffalo, U of Colorado, Eastern Virginia Medical school, East Carolina University, Temple University, Ochsner Clinic, U of Vermont.

Rejections from: UT southwestern, U of Tennessee.

I think I applied to 40 programs, and waiting to hear from some in Missouri and Florida. A lot of interview dates conflict and they are not offering other dates so that will also make me have to cut out some places that I can go on an interview. This will be a very expensive interview season.

University of Birmingham just sent out interviews

For Houston programs heard from Baylor a couple days ago. Nothing from the others yet.
Also today: Mass General, Hopkins, UAB

Anyone hear from St. Louis University, Washington university in St. Louis or University of Missouri in Columbia yet?

Anyone hear from St. Louis University, Washington university in St. Louis or University of Missouri in Columbia yet?

Someone on here had mentioned a St Louis interview last week. I applied to the MO programs, also, and haven't heard anything from any of them.

Also received UTSW rejection. Has anyone heard from any of the Houston programs?

How many interviews are y'all planning on? I can only managed 10-12 with the call schedule.

Haven't heard from anywhere in Houston yet. I don't have a set number to go on, just seeing how everything unfolds. Currently 11 scheduled, so if I get too many more I'll probably start cutting some of those out to keep the number manageable. Our PD put me on a rotation in March and April that technically doesn't allow any time off and I already have 3 interviews scheduled during that block, so I'm not sure how patient they will be with the situation!

what do people think are the better programs this year? i saw some rankings in a thread a couple years old. seems like there has been a lot of flux in many of those programs since then.

Also received UTSW rejection. Has anyone heard from any of the Houston programs?

How many interviews are y'all planning on? I can only managed 10-12 with the call schedule.
I have scheduled 17 right now but I need to narrow it. I've heard having 10-12 is pretty safe overall.

what do people think are the better programs this year? i saw some rankings in a thread a couple years old. seems like there has been a lot of flux in many of those programs since then.

Pitt, Northwestern, Stanford, UCSF, Dartmouth, MGH always seem to be up there.

My PD likes UVA and EVMS but their interviews will conflict for me. Does anyone know how they compare?

West Coast Interests...heard from Loma Linda last week. Anyone else get other west coast program interviews yet?

Interview offer from St Louis University this morning. Their dates conflict with other programs, so starting to be forced to prioritize.

Anybody know anything about Geisinger and Pennsylvania Hospital programs?

Here's where I've heard from so far:
Interviews: Rush, Pitt, University of Chicago, UTSW, BU, Vanderbilt, IU, UW Madison, Loyola, MCW, Geisinger, Baylor dallas, Pennsylvania Hospital
Rejections: Mayo, Mass Gen, Hopkins

Last edited:
Anybody know anything about Geisinger and Pennsylvania Hospital programs?

Here's where I've heard from so far:
Interviews: Rush, Pitt, University of Chicago, UTSW, BU, Vanderbilt, IU, UW Madison, Loyola, MCW, Geisinger, Baylor dallas, Pennsylvania Hospital
Rejections: Mayo, Mass Gen

By IU, do you mean Indiana or Iowa?

Mizzou (University of Missouri) interview offer this morning!

UT Houston.

So I'm starting to cancel interviews in favor of some others due to time constraints. I want to go to this Houston interview and think I would cancel either Boston University or Arkansas. Any thoughts? I'm going to ask my mentors too but I'm out of town for the next couple days and was wondering what the groupthink here was.

UT Houston.

So I'm starting to cancel interviews in favor of some others due to time constraints. I want to go to this Houston interview and think I would cancel either Boston University or Arkansas. Any thoughts? I'm going to ask my mentors too but I'm out of town for the next couple days and was wondering what the groupthink here was.
Does geography or weather make a difference to you?

Does geography or weather make a difference to you?

Minimally. I'm originally from Western NY State but moved south years ago because I don't prefer cold weather. That being said I'm fine living somewhere cold for a couple years for training purposes. Mostly I care about good training and living in a city of some sort, but a small city is ok. A lot of my attendings think well of Arkansas but don't know much about the northeast (I'm in the southeast). I have a kind of visceral response to the word Arkansas but logically I think that is unfair and I've heard Little Rock is a pretty good city. Boston sounds better as a city to my biased ear but I don't know much about the program itself.

Minimally. I'm originally from Western NY State but moved south years ago because I don't prefer cold weather. That being said I'm fine living somewhere cold for a couple years for training purposes. Mostly I care about good training and living in a city of some sort, but a small city is ok. A lot of my attendings think well of Arkansas but don't know much about the northeast (I'm in the southeast). I have a kind of visceral response to the word Arkansas but logically I think that is unfair and I've heard Little Rock is a pretty good city. Boston sounds better as a city to my biased ear but I don't know much about the program itself.

I'm originally from near that area, and you don't hear many people in the Midwest/Midsouth refer to Little Rock as a "good city." I'm interviewing there to try to get back closer to family, but one of the big responses that I have gotten is "You want to live in Little Rock?!" (said with disbelief). It is definitely a smaller city, so it isn't going to be anything on par with Boston or Houston in terms of city life (or even other Midwest cities like St Louis). There is also quite a bit of racial tension in that area, and they do have some gang problems, but I think those have gotten more under control in the past few years. There is a high amount crime for a city as small as it is. And, there are no home sports teams.

Now for the pro column. I have a friend who did residency there and enjoyed it as a temporary place to live. They have a low cost of living and many outdoor activities. It also really is a beautiful part of the country-- lots of nature and middle-of-nowhere areas. But, because of all that nature, it can be a VERY rough place to live if you have allergies and/or asthma. Little Rock has made a couple of "Top 10 places to live" lists in the past 10 years or so, mostly for the combination of low cost of living, good employment options with the hospitals and universities, and abundance of outdoor activities. I've heard the program is pretty decent, as well!

All that being said, to be perfectly honest, if I wasn't specifically trying to get back to that part of the country, I probably wouldn't be seriously considering Little Rock. Just my two cents.

Reactions: 1 user
so is it safe to assume places are done handing out interviews this late in to the month? I have not probably heard from 1/3 of the places I applied to but at this point probably safe to expect rejections?

I am in the same boat.
Some programs do interview really late-- I know there are a couple on my list that don't interview until March or April. I've been trying to keep track of the programs that I haven't heard from but others have gotten offers to (assuming rejections), but I still have 8 that I haven't heard from and haven't seen anyone else post about, either. If anyone has gotten offers (or rejections) from any of these, can you please post?

University of Iowa
University of Kentucky (Lexington)
Texas A&M Scott and White
University of Florida
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin (Madison)
West Virginia University/Charleston Medical Center
Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte, NC)

Carolinas has offered interviews.

I have received 2 invites since Saturday. So there are still some that are coming in.

Some programs do interview really late-- I know there are a couple on my list that don't interview until March or April. I've been trying to keep track of the programs that I haven't heard from but others have gotten offers to (assuming rejections), but I still have 8 that I haven't heard from and haven't seen anyone else post about, either. If anyone has gotten offers (or rejections) from any of these, can you please post?

University of Iowa
University of Kentucky (Lexington)
Texas A&M Scott and White
University of Florida
University of Virginia
University of Wisconsin (Madison)
West Virginia University/Charleston Medical Center
Carolinas Medical Center (Charlotte, NC)

anyone heard from Colombia, beth isreal, florida, michigan, stanford, brigham, Mt sinai? Those are a few I have not heard from