Vandy vs. NYU vs. Pitt

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MVKC7210

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm in an interesting dilemma. I have been fortunate enough to have heard from these three great schools (as a well a few other top tier waitlist offers from schools in the Northeast) but I am having some trouble deciding between them. I was wondering if you guys could provide some input on what you think might be best in terms of 1. Happiness 2. Research Experience 3. Residency Match (particularly for non-surgery specialties). I also have not received any scholarship offers but my financial situation does not warrant me needing financial aid. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hey all,
I'm in an interesting dilemma. I have been fortunate enough to have heard from these three great schools (as a well a few other top tier waitlist offers from schools in the Northeast) but I am having some trouble deciding between them. I was wondering if you guys could provide some input on what you think might be best in terms of 1. Happiness 2. Research Experience 3. Residency Match (particularly for non-surgery specialties). I also have not received any scholarship offers but my financial situation does not warrant me needing financial aid. Thanks

Hi, Pitt student here so I can give you my (probably biased) perspective. I also interviewed at NYU but not Vanderbilt. For what its worth, I think Pitt is amazing and haven't regretting my choice for a second. Even the city of Pittsburgh is growing on me, and the cost of living is fantastic.

1. Happiness: Only you can answer that. Pitt is awesome, the city is cheap and a lot of fun, and my classmates are great, but for some people NYC>> all.
2. Research is abundant at Pitt in pretty much every specialty and its very easy to get funding (I think we're 5th or 6th in NIH funding).
3. Pitt match results: Our fourth years do very well, and a very large number of them choose to stay at Pitt due to some awesome residency programs here. I haven't seen Vandy's or NYU's, but I'm sure they're also very good and all three of the the schools will set you up well to match into whatever you want. In terms of non-surgical specialties, Pitt is fantastic for critical care, cards, EM, PM&R, and FM, though vanderbilt probably has the edge on general IM and radiology. NYU will probably have the edge if you know you want to match in New York or for a couple fields like derm or plastics.
http://www.medschool.pitt.edu/pdfs/sa/announcements/MATCHRESULTbyspecialty2011.pdf

All in all you can't go wrong with all 3 schools, but I'd definitely recommend Pitt.

unless you have to live in NYC, id narrow it down to pitt vs vandy :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.