value of non cardiology research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstud2006

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
How much does it help to have non cardiology research? I am interested in cardiology, but my research background is in another IM field. I realize that it wont hurt, but how does it compare to having 1. published cardiology research 2. non published (but hey! at least it is in the right field) cardiology research?

Members don't see this ad.

i had a similar question... i recently decided upon cards as a career.

im gonna be publishing a research paper titled 'affect of sympathetic nerve activity on cardiovascular function and disease'.

the research basically involved measuring sympathetic nerve activity on rats and then evaluating their cardio.

would this kinda research help for a cards fellowship?

pakidoc said:
i had a similar question... i recently decided upon cards as a career.

im gonna be publishing a research paper titled 'affect of sympathetic nerve activity on cardiovascular function and disease'.

the research basically involved measuring sympathetic nerve activity on rats and then evaluating their cardio.

would this kinda research help for a cards fellowship?

This research will definitely aid your application for Cardiology fellowship. it will be especially helpful if you can articulate in your personal statement/interview why you undertook this research, what you learned in the process, and how this research has altered or augmented your desired career path in cardiology.

the other aspect of your application that gives you a jump on the rest of the applicants is your support of the St. Louis Cardinals, the best baseball team in the world. next year's the year...

PM or reply with any questions.

p diddy

medstud2006 said:
How much does it help to have non cardiology research? I am interested in cardiology, but my research background is in another IM field. I realize that it wont hurt, but how does it compare to having 1. published cardiology research 2. non published (but hey! at least it is in the right field) cardiology research?

the impact of your research on your chances for cardiology depend upon the quality of the research. if you've published in the NEJM or Nature, even if your research involved the prostate or the uterus your chances have vastly improved. if your research is a nonpublished abstract, it won't carry much weight, but it is better than nothing.

when I applied for Cards I had a nonpublished Cards abstract and a published paper on pulmonary disease to my name and I did fine. so take heart and think about how the research you've done has situated you in terms of a career in cardiology.

p diddy