VA-MD c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! So I had a question for any current or soon to be VMCVM students with horses. I have two horses and currently board them at a self-care facility 10 min from my house that charges $225-300 for a stall (depending on the barn). I've had them here throughout undergrad and grad school and commuted to be able to care for them so they are kind of a must to come along with me. I'm planning on moving them after my first semester once I've found a place for them, but I figure why not ask around here first to get some ideas of where to start looking.

I'm thinking full or partial care would be best with a vet-student schedule and I'd like to keep it around the price I'm at now, but it really depends. I've looked online a bit but I'm sure there is more in Blacksburg/Christiansburg than listed on websites. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

This week the alternate list gets to find out where they rank. Anyone else super nervous? Did any in-staters turn down their acceptance?

Reactions: 1 user
This week the alternate list gets to find out where they rank. Anyone else super nervous? Did any in-staters turn down their acceptance?
Yes, me!!! I feel I have been waiting since forever to know my number. I'm OOS

Members don't see this ad :)
What email are we supposed to use on Monday when we check our spots on the alternate list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What email are we supposed to use on Monday when we check our spots on the alternate list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Well the email said that we can request the number after the 1o th, so is technically on tuesday. I think we have to send the email to the same address they used to send the decisions, [email protected]

In staters have been turning down their spots. I'm an undergrad at VT and have a few friends that have been pulled from the waitlist (in-state). I think the in state waitlist has been rolling this whole time and out of state has been frozen until the 17th. Good luck everyone!

Well the email said that we can request the number after the 1o th, so is technically on tuesday. I think we have to send the email to the same address they used to send the decisions, [email protected]

Yea, I just reread the e-mail because I was going to send them one asking but they specifically bolded the part saying AFTER April 10th. So I guess I'll be waiting until tomorrow to send the e-mail.

Yea, I just reread the e-mail because I was going to send them one asking but they specifically bolded the part saying AFTER April 10th. So I guess I'll be waiting until tomorrow to send the e-mail.
A friend of mine asked her number today and they answered her, so you can ask today.

Reactions: 1 users
#1 on the Maryland list!!!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
#7 on the WV contract list :( Didn't have much hopes due to knowing that pretty much all the seats are accounted for. Less people going to the other contract school though so I guess it'll work out lol

Hey guys, when will we get a list of the things we need to do to prepare and the things we need to buy? Just wondering how many stethoscopes we need since there's one for exotics, small animal and large animal. Any idea? Thanks!

Hey guys, when will we get a list of the things we need to do to prepare and the things we need to buy? Just wondering how many stethoscopes we need since there's one for exotics, small animal and large animal. Any idea? Thanks!

There is a webpage for admitted students. You can get to it via the link they sent in the acceptance email. On that page, there is a list of required items for the year.

They give us a stethoscope during the white coat ceremony, and they don't tell us to purchase another one, so doesn't look like we need to buy one.

You definitely do not need to buy a stethoscope. Good ones are pricey and you won't know what you personally like til later on anyway.

You will need some lab coats and coveralls for labs and also boots that can be hosed down for bovine work. That's about it.

There is a webpage for admitted students. You can get to it via the link they sent in the acceptance email. On that page, there is a list of required items for the year.

They give us a stethoscope during the white coat ceremony, and they don't tell us to purchase another one, so doesn't look like we need to buy one.

Wow totally missed that link at the bottom. SO glad I asked this question. Thank you!!!

You definitely do not need to buy a stethoscope. Good ones are pricey and you won't know what you personally like til later on anyway.

You will need some lab coats and coveralls for labs and also boots that can be hosed down for bovine work. That's about it.

Thank you. I just read everything that was under that website and all of the information and things required. Thank you!

Has anyone got any news of the OOS waitlist?

To those who are attending that are in-state: when you go onto the guest account do you have a check by the residency form yet?

To those who are attending that are in-state: when you go onto the guest account do you have a check by the residency form yet?

I just went and checked on my status. I don't have a checkmark by the residency form or the residence confirmation yet. However, I also don't have one beside the GRE box and I know they got those lol.

EDIT: If you login to your Hokie Spa account (you'll get instructions on how to setup an account once you've paid the deposit), you can click on "View your General Student Information" to see what your residency status is.

Last edited:
I got pulled off the VA instate waitlist by email on Tuesday so it is moving some. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Current students: does anyone know if the VT student health insurance plan covers the rabies series? I currently have insurance through my employer but found out they may not cover it.

Current students: does anyone know if the VT student health insurance plan covers the rabies series? I currently have insurance through my employer but found out they may not cover it.

I don't think it does but I can't say for sure 100%

I can actually help with this though I'm not a current vet student. I'm an undergrad here at VT and work at the Vet School. I had to get the rabies vaccine this past September. The vaccine is NOT covered for Vet Students. It's a series of three shots, over the span of four weeks, that run just under $1000 in total. However, if you get a job at the Vet School working with the animals (large animal husbandry, CMMID care tech, etc) then they will cover the rabies vaccine as it is a requirement to work. Hope this helps!

I can actually help with this though I'm not a current vet student. I'm an undergrad here at VT and work at the Vet School. The rabies vaccine is NOT covered for vet students. It's a series of three shots that run just under $1000 in total. However, if you get a job at the Vet School working with the animals (large animal husbandry, CMMID care tech, etc) then they will cover the rabies vaccine as it is a requirement to work. Hope this helps!

Just want to note that while this is true, it won't likely be an option. You'll need to have the vaccines as part of the incoming class and they organize a vaccine clinic as part of orientation (or very soon after).

E-mail just went out that the class is full :(

Too bad but always remember this:

Although Abraham Lincoln is rated as one of the best American presidents, it is often pointed out that he had numerous failures in his career, until he was suddenly elected as president in 1860. This was mean to show that even a failure can become president, if he doesn't give up. But the problem is that, although Lincoln did have many set-backs, he was really a highly successful man by the time he was elected president.

List of Lincoln's failures
A common list of the failures of Abraham Lincoln (along with a few successes) is:

• 1831 - Lost his job
  • 1832 - Defeated in run for Illinois State Legislature
  • 1833 - Failed in business
  • 1834 - Elected to Illinois State Legislature (success)
  • 1835 - Sweetheart died
  • 1836 - Had nervous breakdown
  • 1838 - Defeated in run for Illinois House Speaker
  • 1843 - Defeated in run for nomination for U.S. Congress
  • 1846 - Elected to Congress (success)
  • 1848 - Lost re-nomination
  • 1849 - Rejected for land officer position
  • 1854 - Defeated in run for U.S. Senate
  • 1856 - Defeated in run for nomination for Vice President
  • 1858 - Again defeated in run for U.S. Senate
  • 1860 - Elected President (success)

I can actually help with this though I'm not a current vet student. I'm an undergrad here at VT and work at the Vet School. I had to get the rabies vaccine this past September. The vaccine is NOT covered for Vet Students. It's a series of three shots, over the span of four weeks, that run just under $1000 in total. However, if you get a job at the Vet School working with the animals (large animal husbandry, CMMID care tech, etc) then they will cover the rabies vaccine as it is a requirement to work. Hope this helps!

So to clarify, you're saying the school doesn't cover the vaccine or the insurance plan through the vet school doesn't cover the vaccine?

Just want to note that while this is true, it won't likely be an option. You'll need to have the vaccines as part of the incoming class and they organize a vaccine clinic as part of orientation (or very soon after).
I agree with this statement. The part of getting a job to cover it would only MAYBE work for people that are moving to blacksburg enough in advance before classes start.
So to clarify, you're saying the school doesn't cover the vaccine or the insurance plan through the vet school doesn't cover the vaccine?
Each vet student must pay for the rabies vaccine through the school unless they provide records of previous vaccine within the past year

The same email went out on April 18th last year but people were still pulled from the waitlist through July so dont lose hope yet!

Each vet student must pay for the rabies vaccine through the school unless they provide records of previous vaccine within the past year

Okay, I understand that. What I'm saying is, for those that wait to get it at school and are enrolled in VT's student insurance plan, does the insurance plan cover it? I.e. if I enroll in the insurance plan and submit the rabies vaccine costs to insurance, will they cover it? @flameshock seemed to not think so, which is what I figured, but trying to see if anyone had actually tried to get the insurance to cover it.

Okay, I understand that. What I'm saying is, for those that wait to get it at school and are enrolled in VT's student insurance plan, does the insurance plan cover it? I.e. if I enroll in the insurance plan and submit the rabies vaccine costs to insurance, will they cover it? @flameshock seemed to not think so, which is what I figured, but trying to see if anyone had actually tried to get the insurance to cover it.

You would need to call the Virginia Tech office that facilitates the insurance in order to be absolutely sure, but I would be very surprised if it's covered. Pretty much everyone in my class paid out of pocket. I am on the VT Aetna insurance, but I already had the series so I can't specifically answer your question.

The same email went out on April 18th last year but people were still pulled from the waitlist through July so dont lose hope yet!

While that is true, given that I'm only in consideration for the contract seats..I don't have much hope. Not being a downer, just being realistic. I would need at least 1 person to drop their seat and another 5 to say no to it lol

You would need to call the Virginia Tech office that facilitates the insurance in order to be absolutely sure, but I would be very surprised if it's covered. Pretty much everyone in my class paid out of pocket. I am on the VT Aetna insurance, but I already had the series so I can't specifically answer your question.

Yeah that's what I tried doing but the lady told me she wasn't sure if the Aetna plan covered it or not :shrug: Thanks for the help though. Looks like I'll roll the dice with my current insurance and hope they'll cover it!

Last edited:
While that is true, given that I'm only in consideration for the contract seats..I don't have much hope. Not being a downer, just being realistic. I would need at least 1 person to drop their seat and another 5 to say no to it lol
Last year I was #6 on the MD waitlist when I asked for my rank in April. I thought there was no way I was getting in but on August 17th (after I had started classes at a different vet school) I got an email saying I had been accepted from the waitlist and needed to be in Blacksburg for orientation on August 22nd! Every year is extremely different as I know the year before, the MD waitlist didn't move but don't give up hope!! And if this year isn't your year, try again next year!

Hi future classmates! Out of curiousity, are any of your vegan or vegetarian?

Any news on out of state waitlist?? I have a couple friends on it still

Any news on out of state waitlist?? I have a couple friends on it still

I know they sent out the e-mail stating the class was filled forever ago....so I doubt there has been much moment since then.

I know they sent out the e-mail stating the class was filled forever ago....so I doubt there has been much moment since then.

I was called off the out of state waitlist a week or so after that email went out. I haven't heard anything since though.