VA-MD c/o 2021 Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Bed/ nap actually sounds really nice. Especially a bed with vmh in it. :naughty:
Lowkey I'm in bed right now lol

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
One of my personal faves

tina-fey-amy-poehler-popcorn-golden-globes-2014.gif

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Aw, I took too long finding gifs of animals eating popcorn and now the troll's gone. Oh well, here are some cute animals!

tumblr_mysstb4Ybj1sxxd1oo1_500.gif

f94f74757ea1604d99284439754b448f.gif

popcorncropped.gif

25yy8mf.jpg

I feel like the most appropriate raccoon gif now is the one with the dissolving cotton candy lol

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone know how far VMCVM typically goes down their OOS waitlist??

Reactions: 1 user
did they sent rejection letters or did everyone that didn't got accepted, got waitlisted automatically?

did they sent rejection letters or did everyone that didn't got accepted, got waitlisted automatically?

They don't outright reject anyone who interviews...people who interview either get accepted or waitlisted

Members don't see this ad :)
I remember hearing them say they went almost 80 people down the oos wait list last year.

If that's true that's a lot of students. I know they have a rather large class size but considering only 336 are interviewed 80 is a lot. Hopefully it's true though lol

If that's true that's a lot of students. I know they have a rather large class size but considering only 336 are interviewed 80 is a lot. Hopefully it's true though lol
I want to clarify- last year, they took 18 people off the wait list. However, they offered the spot to close to 80 people before they filled the 18 spots. Does that make more sense? I'm referring to strictly out of state numbers, I do not know regarding in state

I want to clarify- last year, they took 18 people off the wait list. However, they offered the spot to close to 80 people before they filled the 18 spots. Does that make more sense? I'm referring to strictly out of state numbers, I do not know regarding in state

Oh no, I knew what you was meaning by it.

This is late thanks to our two monster exams today but congrats to everyone who got in and I'm crossing my fingers for those of you on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
If someone gets call off the waitlist can you write it in here so we can know that the list its moving? Thank you!! :)

@FauxPaw would you agree with this statement about last years waitlist? I understand that the new curriculum was implemented your first year/last year so I'd imagine the OOS waitlist would behave similarly to last

This is late thanks to our two monster exams today but congrats to everyone who got in and I'm crossing my fingers for those of you on the waitlist!

I applied two times before I got in. The first year (for starting fall 2015) I was #8 on the MD waitlist and did not get called off. I heard that year no one was called off the MD waitlist (don't know if this is 100% true). This past year, I was #6 and I got called off the waitlist the Wednesday before orientation started. At this time I had actually started classes at a different school but as VMCVM is my in state, I couldn't pass up the opportunity! I am SO happy with the choice I made and absolutely love this school. I got my number after April 15th so I'm not sure how many they called off before that date. Don't give up hope!

@FauxPaw would you agree with this statement about last years waitlist? I understand that the new curriculum was implemented your first year/last year so I'd imagine the OOS waitlist would behave similarly to last

Unfortunately, I'm not actually sure about those statistics. I'm OOS, but I wasn't waitlisted, so everything I know is word of mouth. Dr. Pelzer did tell me once that they offer more acceptances to OOS candidates than they have seats because they expect more OOS students to decline, so while I can't tell you how many spots they offer initially I can tell you that part is true. Most, if not all vet schools do that, though. She's also said in the past that while the IS waitlist doesn't move much, the OOS waitlist tends to be more fluid. I know they didn't go OVER 80 on the waitlist, because someone I know was in the 80's on the OOS list and wasn't offered a seat, but they could've very well gotten close.

We have a few classmates (IS and OOS) who were offered seats very close to our first day of classes, so you never know!

And as for the new curriculum playing a part in it, it sounds like the OOS waitlist movement was pretty standard compared to prior years with maybe an exception to the late acceptances. Two of our last minute spots were as a result of students who already accepted suddenly pulling a 180 because they didn't realize the curriculum was new (this was directly stated by Dr. Pelzer), which is strange considering it's all we talked about during interview weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if some spots were turned down for our cycle because interviewees decided they weren't interested in the curriculum, though, so that's certainly possible for your year as well!

Unfortunately, I'm not actually sure about those statistics. I'm OOS, but I wasn't waitlisted, so everything I know is word of mouth. Dr. Pelzer did tell me once that they offer more acceptances to OOS candidates than they have seats because they expect more OOS students to decline, so while I can't tell you how many spots they offer initially I can tell you that part is true. Most, if not all vet schools do that, though. She's also said in the past that while the IS waitlist doesn't move much, the OOS waitlist tends to be more fluid. I know they didn't go OVER 80 on the waitlist, because someone I know was in the 80's on the OOS list and wasn't offered a seat, but they could've very well gotten close.

We have a few classmates (IS and OOS) who were offered seats very close to our first day of classes, so you never know!

And as for the new curriculum playing a part in it, it sounds like the OOS waitlist movement was pretty standard compared to prior years with maybe an exception to the late acceptances. Two of our last minute spots were as a result of students who already accepted suddenly pulling a 180 because they didn't realize the curriculum was new (this was directly stated by Dr. Pelzer), which is strange considering it's all we talked about during interview weekend. I wouldn't be surprised if some spots were turned down for our cycle because interviewees decided they weren't interested in the curriculum, though, so that's certainly possible for your year as well!
I wish the instate waitlist moved like out of state. :(

Do you know if your friend was in the 80's before or after the April 15th deadline??

OOS accepted student here, going to decline my offer. Good luck to those on the waitlist - at least one of you will get a spot now!

OOS accepted student here, going to decline my offer. Good luck to those on the waitlist - at least one of you will get a spot now!
thanks! I just wish I knew my number on the list

For those of you who have already accepted your offer at VMCVM there is a class page available on facebook labeled "VMCVM class of 2021" :)

Do you know if your friend was in the 80's before or after the April 15th deadline??

She found out after the April 15th deadline because waitlisted students weren't allowed to know their number before that time. Her being in the 80's wasn't something that occurred after movement though, I'm pretty sure. That was her position after the interview, so I figure when she asked about her number there were WAY less than 80 people still on the waitlist in front of her. I don't know if she asked or was allowed to know that specific information, honestly, so it doesn't hurt to inquire if you get to that point! Hopefully, you'll get off of it before then!

Current students: Looking for a quick and dirty rundown (ib4 phrasing) on the new curriculum and life as a first year. Browsing the website hasn't netted me much intel so any insider information would be much appreciated :thumbup: thanks!

Current students: Looking for a quick and dirty rundown (ib4 phrasing) on the new curriculum and life as a first year. Browsing the website hasn't netted me much intel so any insider information would be much appreciated :thumbup: thanks!

Some days it's good, some days it's not so good. We're definitely in a down swing at the moment but the curriculum is new and obstacles are to be expected.

Some days it's good, some days it's not so good. We're definitely in a down swing at the moment but the curriculum is new and obstacles are to be expected.

Undoubtedly so. What kind of hiccups have there been?

Warning: long post ahead (but hopefully informative!)

The new curriculum is definitely still in the process of being ironed out. If you're someone who likes to make plans weeks ahead of time and hates surprises, the curriculum may take some extra adjustments for you (ex. classes being shifted around or added to our schedule the night before, yikes!). The professors definitely try their best to get their lecture materials out at a reasonable hour, but the general trend has been late the night before / morning of the class (a problem for those who like to print and write on notes during class). Be prepared to have patience and try not to get too frustrated. The professors are trying their best to adjust to the new teaching style and collaborate with each other.

If the changes they're making to the courses we took last semester aren't extreme, the first eight weeks should be mostly review geared toward bringing everyone back up to speed (the basics of pharmacology was the one big exception to this, at least for me). The class is called "The Normal Animal". Use those weeks to get to know your class, take advantage of the great weather, and try a few different study methods. Join as many clubs as you can-- they're your main access to hands-on experiences (wet labs, palpations, etc) and of course... free food. Be prepared to buckle down the second eight weeks when "Dealing with Threats" starts.

Basic schedule: Exact classes / lecturers change every day. We stay in the same lecture hall (auditorium style) and professors rotate through. Lectures are 50min each and typically run from 8 to 12 (or 9 to 12 if you're lucky) with a 10min break between each one. After a lunch break (1hr, typically used to attend some sort of lunch meeting with a promise of free food) we usually have lab, where the class is split in half. If we only have one lab, it's either from 1-3 or 3-5 depending on which half you're in. If you have two labs, you go from 1-5 and swap rooms at 3. Friday's are typically reserved for some form of group work (case studies, etc) and we generally get out early on these days. Lecture exams are every other Monday and lab exams have been every 4th week (typically that Friday or Monday depending on the course). Everything is posted to our Canvas calendar (same site we use for the rest of our course materials).

The only other thing I can think of is our beagle dogs, which the first-years have an obligation to walk at least once a week and perform monthly preventative check-ups. Only a few consider it a chore though-- they're a great stress relief and most get walked every day. :) It's been really rewarding to watch them slowly transform into well-mannered, adoptable beasts over the course of the year.

Whew... Any of the other first years have anything else to add? Again, sorry for the long post, but hopefully that helps clarify a few things!

The new curriculum is definitely still in the process of being ironed out. If you're someone who likes to make plans weeks ahead of time and hates surprises, the curriculum may take some extra adjustments for you (ex. classes being shifted around or added to our schedule the night before, yikes!). The professors definitely try their best to get their lecture materials out at a reasonable hour, but the general trend has been late the night before / morning of the class (a problem for those who like to print and write on notes during class). Be prepared to have patience and try not to get too frustrated. The professors are trying their best to adjust to the new teaching style and collaborate with each other.

Thank you for saying this. I think a lot of times it is far too easy to simply blame the profs for the hiccups - they are an easy target. I know for a fact they are trying really hard to help everyone succeed.

If the changes they're making to the courses we took last semester aren't extreme, the first eight weeks should be mostly review geared toward bringing everyone back up to speed (the basics of pharmacology was the one big exception to this, at least for me). The class is called "The Normal Animal". Use those weeks to get to know your class, take advantage of the great weather, and try a few different study methods. Join as many clubs as you can-- they're your main access to hands-on experiences (wet labs, palpations, etc) and of course... free food. Be prepared to buckle down the second eight weeks when "Dealing with Threats" starts.

Basic schedule: Exact classes / lecturers change every day. We stay in the same lecture hall (auditorium style) and professors rotate through. Lectures are 50min each and typically run from 8 to 12 (or 9 to 12 if you're lucky) with a 10min break between each one. After a lunch break (1hr, typically used to attend some sort of lunch meeting with a promise of free food) we usually have lab, where the class is split in half. If we only have one lab, it's either from 1-3 or 3-5 depending on which half you're in. If you have two labs, you go from 1-5 and swap rooms at 3. Friday's are typically reserved for some form of group work (case studies, etc) and we generally get out early on these days. Lecture exams are every other Monday and lab exams have been every 4th week (typically that Friday or Monday depending on the course). Everything is posted to our Canvas calendar (same site we use for the rest of our course materials).

The only other thing I can think of is our beagle dogs, which the first-years have an obligation to walk at least once a week and perform monthly preventative check-ups. Only a few consider it a chore though-- they're a great stress relief and most get walked every day. :) It's been really rewarding to watch them slowly transform into well-mannered, adoptable beasts over the course of the year.

Whew... Any of the other first years have anything else to add? Again, sorry for the long post, but hopefully that helps clarify a few things!

Amazing, thank you! That explains the curriculum layout on the website. I figure they'll have this more ironed out for the incoming class as well.

And it's good to know that the first-years can slowly transform into well-mannered, adoptable beasts over the course of the year.

Officially declined my OOS spot! Hope one of you fabulous people gets it!

Good luck everyone:)

does someone know when they start calling people out of the waiting list?

Could be soon if people accept elsewhere and let VT know they don't want to attend. However, friends of mine heard in the end of March.

One of my friends on the IS waitlist was accepted last Monday (2/13), so they start calling people off as soon as someone declines their spot.

One of my friends on the IS waitlist was accepted last Monday (2/13), so they start calling people off as soon as someone declines their spot.
Thanks for the info and congrats to your friend! I'm trying to wait calmly to see if I get off the OOS waiting list, but of course staying calm at this point isn't working

I've declined my OOS spot as well, so I hope an SDNer gets good news!!

I know it says in the waitlist email to keep them up to date on your contact information. Does that mean to send them what your current contacts are or do they have that all already?

Wow glad I found this! I'm an accepted OOS! I look forward to working with you all! Now for the hard part - looking for an apartment and a roommate!

I know it says in the waitlist email to keep them up to date on your contact information. Does that mean to send them what your current contacts are or do they have that all already?
If you changed your contact info from the one you wrote on VMCAS then you have to let them know, if it hasn't change then your good

Wow glad I found this! I'm an accepted OOS! I look forward to working with you all! Now for the hard part - looking for an apartment and a roommate!

Look on the class of 2021 Facebook page because that is where you will find students who also may be looking for a place..

Congrats! Adding to what was said above, you'll also be getting an email at some point with current vet students looking for roommates or renting their places out!

Any news about the waitlist or if someone has been call out of the OOS list?

Just declined my OOS seat. Hope one of you get it!

What are you guys wearing to the accepted students day on Friday?