UW-Madison: Anyone interviewing in Jan?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sp10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I just accepted an interview offer from Univ of Wisc-Madison for jan 6th. I'm super excited! Anyone in the same boat as me?

Members don't see this ad.

I am -- I have an interview in January too :)

Good luck. Do you know if they prefer in-state students?

I am -- I have an interview in January too :)

Good luck. Do you know if they prefer in-state students?

Since they're with PharmCAS this year, I'm not sure how much things have changed. I'm a first year and I know the majority of my class went to a UW school for their undergrad.

You guys are in a slightly different boat than we were, but if you have any questions let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will be interviewing in January as well, looking forward to it.

I'll be there the 7th. Being from out of state though, chances are slim.

Yes, I'll be there, too! Very excited as well! Has anyone tried to get in before?

Did all the people who said they're going to have an interview soon apply for the Early Decision?

I interview on Jan. 6th at noon. I am from Minnesota, so I doubt I will get in.

Can anyone confirm that decisions go out first or second week of March?

Can anyone confirm that decisions go out first or second week of March?

Everything that I have read in previous forums indicates that students received their acceptance letters mid-March. It does not seem as if the students received any information regarding their admission status via email (or the online application site).

Let's cross our fingers and hope that the decision is quick and that we hear results soon! It sucks to pay other schools to hold your seat when you may not even end up going there!

Last year they were emailed on March the 12th. Good Luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,

just heard back from the admissions office, it should only take two more agonizing weeks. Good luck everyone!

Oh yeah!! Let's bring this freakin' thread back to life!! Woooo! Cmon Jeremy! Help me out here!

Hi guys,

just heard back from the admissions office, it should only take two more agonizing weeks. Good luck everyone!

Correction: less than two as two is the max!!

Oh yeah!! Let's bring this freakin' thread back to life!! Woooo! Cmon Jeremy! Help me out here!

Although this is my first post, I'd certainly have to agree that this thread is idling. Once the decision is out it will hopefully be revived. I'm guessing a d-day of 3/11.

Dunno how much this thread is gonna trend even after decisions are made. Two things prevent that from happening: The fact that 1) Wisconsin is a midwest state and 2) their in-state preference.

I'll talk to myself to trend this thread if need be.

GO BUCKY!

The lack of interest due to preferring in-state residents makes sense. I don't quite understand what being located in the midwest has to do with it though. Maybe I haven't been around the forums long enough...

The lack of interest due to preferring in-state residents makes sense. I don't quite understand what being located in the midwest has to do with it though. Maybe I haven't been around the forums long enough...

Notice How West Coast, South Side, and East Coast schools trend on this forum. You will see it if you sort this topic by replies.

Notice How West Coast, South Side, and East Coast schools trend on this forum. You will see it if you sort this topic by replies.
Gotcha. I did notice that but thought you were going to have an explanation on why there is little interest shown by the midwest.

I like how you refer to the south as the South Side.

[youtube]l1rJ1iWyA_c[/youtube]

UW does it better. and by "it" I mean everything!

what's with this thread?

Is there little interest in UW this year or are you all a bunch of lurkers?

C'MON! Get Live! Just a few more days!!!

:shrug:

With only 2 pharmacy schools in the state I would think there would be a little more excitement on this thread but who knows. Compared to the number of applications last year, it seems like there is a little more interest in UW this cycle but no one to be found. Where is everyone??

:shrug:

With only 2 pharmacy schools in the state I would think there would be a little more excitement on this thread but who knows. Compared to the number of applications last year, it seems like there is a little more interest in UW this cycle but no one to be found. Where is everyone??

The thread views went from 949 when I posted my last comment to 983. I don't see why anyone would view this thread unless they applied/interviewed. There are just a bunch of lurkers, Badger.

Yea, apparently no one else from Wiscompton with UW as their #1 choice is cruisin' the SDN forums.

Better than mine. The AdCom was unable to offer me admission. I hope for the best for you!

BadgerPharm, you have any fall backs? Or did you take a shot in the middle of undergrad?

I was accepted but will decline. Hope that helps those on the waitlist!

BadgerPharm, you have any fall backs? Or did you take a shot in the middle of undergrad?
I also applied to UIC, was placed in the holding pattern and I am doubting I will hear back from them. I couldn't really apply to a lot of schools due to missing some pre-reqs, like anatomy.

I actually graduated in Dec of 2009 with a degree in genetics. It wasn't until my second to last semester in school that I decided to pursue pharmacy instead of biotech, and in part my application was probably not as competitive as it could have been. Since I graduated, I have taken several classes as a special student at UW trying to improve some of the grades that would have been acceptable for entering the biotech industry rather than a professional program. I was rather surprised that I was invited for an interview so my hopes were not completely shot down when the decisions were out today.

I'm on the waitlist for madison, but i'm #6 so i'm kinda thinking i'll be able to attend! if not I have MN as a fallback.

I'm on the waitlist for madison, but i'm #6 so i'm kinda thinking i'll be able to attend! if not I have MN as a fallback.

MN's your fall back? livin' life in the fab lane I see!

I just checked out this school for the first time yesterday. I am a pre-pharm student and applying for next years cycle. I really liked the Madison area, although there were a lot of protesters walking around the capitol today. I am from Minnesota so I would really like to get into the Twin Cities, but I will definitely be applying to UW too.

I also got on the wait list for Madison but got into Minnesota also back in December. I think I am low enough on the waitlist for madison where I have a decent chance to get in but I am really struggling as to which school to attend. I am from Wisconsin and ideally thought I would want to stay in Wisconsin but I really loved the Minnesota campus when I interviewed there and the school is highly ranked!! Idk what to do :confused:

Congrats to all those who got into Madison!! :)

I got into Minnesota and Wisconsin but can't decide which one to go to. Both are very good programs, I can't seem to find a definitive reason to choose one over the other. I'm not from Minnesota or Wisconsin so I don't have any ties to either, any opinions?

I got into Minnesota and Wisconsin but can't decide which one to go to. Both are very good programs, I can't seem to find a definitive reason to choose one over the other. I'm not from Minnesota or Wisconsin so I don't have any ties to either, any opinions?
MN seems really good, but my friends who finished college in Madison absolutely loved it there. The Twin Cities are nice, but Madison looks beautiful. I've also heard from pharmacists in this region that if you get into UW Madison as an out of state pharm student, they automatically assume you're brilliant because it's quite difficult, apparently.

Maybe choose based on price, and which kind of atmosphere you'd enjoy for 4 years?

MN seems really good, but my friends who finished college in Madison absolutely loved it there. The Twin Cities are nice, but Madison looks beautiful. I've also heard from pharmacists in this region that if you get into UW Madison as an out of state pharm student, they automatically assume you're brilliant because it's quite difficult, apparently.

Maybe choose based on price, and which kind of atmosphere you'd enjoy for 4 years?

I'm guessing that's why this thread is so quiet. The difficulty to get in as an OOS'er discourages applicants. Oh well... UW still owns! Go Bucky!

I was accepted as an out-of-state student from MI, but plan on declining. Of all the places I interviewed, UW impressed me more than any other. Great facilities, great town, great traditions. Good luck to those still seeking admission.

To start off both schools are very good and both programs are well respected. Here are a few things to consider.

In Minnesota you are considered an intern after your first year of pharmacy school. In Wisconsin you are considered an intern after your 2nd year (This would be assuming that you stayed in that specific state to work over the summer). ----> more money and better preparation/summer experience

Speaking with some students at UW they still do labs that correlate to undergrad issues (Titrations and drug delivery labs...ect) within your 1st year. At U of M they get you started with patient counseling right away in lab. You will experience compounding/calculations, IV preparation/calculations, and or patient counseling in each lab period.

Cost wise UW is cheaper than Minny. City wise I prefer Minneapolis (Everything Madison has plus professional sports in summer and winter)---although Madison has an awesome view. College experience- Both are big 10 but Wisconsin is better at majority of the major sports. Minneapolis people are nicer (I've lived in both places). I would also say that Minnesota is a more progressive state in the pharmacy aspect of it as it provides more opportunity then some parts of Wisconsin.

Obviously I attend Minnesota but I know many of my undergrad friends that go to madison and I lived there in the past. Both are excellent choices but thought I would give my opinion. Best of luck!

I've also heard from pharmacists in this region that if you get into UW Madison as an out of state pharm student, they automatically assume you're brilliant because it's quite difficult, apparently.

Awwww that just made my day! I just paid my deposit today, I'm from out of state and decided to go with Team Bucky. Unfortunately that means that the $1000 I paid to another school is gone :(

To be fair they are no number 3 in the nation for pharmacy.....jk :)

I think I wrote that comment after Wisco made it to the swt 16. I'm supposed to hate them... why? I'm an MU graduate.. and with that...

MU makes it to the swt 16! BOOOOOOOOOM!

This has been a great year for WI sports... I'm actually attending UWash this fall, but my allegiance will always lie with MU BBall, Sconnie Football, and the GB Packers!

I think I wrote that comment after Wisco made it to the swt 16. I'm supposed to hate them... why? I'm an MU graduate.. and with that...

MU makes it to the swt 16! BOOOOOOOOOM!

This has been a great year for WI sports... I'm actually attending UWash this fall, but my allegiance will always lie with MU BBall, Sconnie Football, and the GB Packers!

ohh got it! haha! Got to love the packers! I'm from Green Bay, WI originally and was back in Green Bay when they won. It was an awesome experience. Good luck in Washington!

ohh got it! haha! Got to love the packers! I'm from Green Bay, WI originally and was back in Green Bay when they won. It was an awesome experience. Good luck in Washington!

in Milwaukee, everybody in the bars just flooded the streets! Madness! And the scary part is I bet that's childs play compared to how GB erupted!

If this whole lockout situation gets resolved, what're the chances of repeating you think? We have the 2nd best odds to win the SB next year... behind who else... freakin' PATS.

I can't believe they have 2 drafts picks in the 1st three rounds! Ridiculous!