University of Wisconsin-Madison C/0 2020 (entering fall 2016) Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cujoh325

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Didn't see a thread yet, so I thought I'd start one for those applying to UW-Madison for fall 2016 admission. With a new rolling admissions process, I was wondering if anyone has received an interview invitation yet.

Good luck to you all!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Where else are you applying? UW is definitely my first choicr

I'm also applying to Minnesota and Pitt. Tough call btw all 3 though, so I'll wait and see after interviewing where I might end up

Were you guys given multiple interview dates to choose from?

Nope they gave me the 9th and since it's my first choice I accepted the interview offer. They did give the option to schedule for another date but they didn't specify

Nope they gave me the 9th and since it's my first choice I accepted the interview offer. They did give the option to schedule for another date but they didn't specify

how soon after your application was verified did you receive an email offering you an interview?

My offer came within 2 hours of everything being verified

They gave me the offer a day after my pcat score was received. My application was verified in July.

Did anyone here interview on Oct 9th? How do you think it went?

I did! It went pretty well but in worried that even if I get in I won't go because apparently it's nearly impossible to get in state residency and I just got into another one of my top choices so if I get accepted it'll depend on if I get any scholarships

Members don't see this ad :)
To those who just interviewed, what were your thoughts on the actual interview and the way the day as a whole was organized? Any advice for others?

The actual interview was really laid back, more like a casual conversation than an interview. The rest of the day was just a lot of info sessions and getting to meet students and faculty (oh and and essay, but that wasn't too bad either!) Just be yourself and have fun! It really was nothing to worry about, everyone there is extremely nice and welcoming!

Unless you and possibly even your parents are current Wisconsin residents (live, vote, work, pay taxes, register your car - all in Wisconsin for the past few years) you will pay non-resident tuition.

For the entire School of Pharmacy there are maybe 100 scholarships, the majority ranging from $500 to $2000*, and maybe only 10 for incoming first year students. Also, you need to reapply each year.

*There are some for underrepresented minorities that might be higher.

The bottom line: Don't count on scholarships to make the school affordable.

Last edited:
The actual interview was really laid back, more like a casual conversation than an interview. The rest of the day was just a lot of info sessions and getting to meet students and faculty (oh and and essay, but that wasn't too bad either!) Just be yourself and have fun! It really was nothing to worry about, everyone there is extremely nice and welcoming!

Thanks for the advice! Did they tell you how soon you can expect to hear back?

This thread has been quiet lately. How's everyone doing???

This thread has been quiet lately. How's everyone doing???
I guess ppl are busy studying haha. My interview is in december. Are you still waiting? How long was your interview? and was there any trick question? Thanks!

Yep, still waiting to hear from them. My actually interview was only about 25 min, and it really was nothing to worry about! No trick questions, just an extremely laid back, casual conversation. They just wanna get to know you a little better!

Reactions: 1 user
I did! It went pretty well but in worried that even if I get in I won't go because apparently it's nearly impossible to get in state residency and I just got into another one of my top choices so if I get accepted it'll depend on if I get any scholarships

What do you mean nearly impossible to get in state residency?

I noticed this is a top 10 school but less than 500 ppl apply here yearly why is that?

Still though madison was a nice place when I paid it a visit.......that honestly couldn't be the only reason?

Still though madison was a nice place when I paid it a visit.......that honestly couldn't be the only reason?
the weather/location is probably a huge factor, plus the competitiveness. U of Minnesota and U of Michigan also have only ~500 applications per year

anyone heard back yet? I'm tired of waiting ugh hahaha

I got accepted but I will be withdrawing from here and going to mwu-ccp closer to home.

Yeah, I got an email from them yesterday afternoon.
Stats:
3.9 GPA
90 PCAT composite
About 6 months retail pharmacy experience, some job shadowing, member of a pharmacy student organization
Member of a fraternity, resident advisor, and some general volunteering

Why does a top 5 school have fewer than 500 applicants per year? Possibly because the Wisconsin public university system's mission is to educate Wisconsin residents; by statute something like close to 70% of students must be Wisconsin residents. So, non residents probably know it is harder to get admitted and may not apply for one of the 45 spots (30% * 150).

Last edited:
What do you mean nearly impossible to get in state residency?

This refers to Wisconsin resident status for instate tuition purposes; nothing to do with a residency position after pharmacy school graduation.

Last edited:
Merry Christmas Everybodyyyy!!!!
Anybody got interviewed Dec 4th and heard back ??!!

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats like?

If you don't mind me asking, what are your stats like?
Stats: 3.7 GPA; 91 PCAT composite; pre-pharm club; BS in biochem; a year of hospital volunteering and some research experience. Nothing stellar :D
and I'm out of state.

Last edited:
I received an interview invite today. This will be my first interview and I am a bit nervous.
I have a small question regarding the writing part at the interview.
Is the writing session just questions the university will use to get to know you better or is it yet another essay similar to that of the pharmCAS application essay?
Thanks.

I received an interview invite today. This will be my first interview and I am a bit nervous.
I have a small question regarding the writing part at the interview.
Is the writing session just questions the university will use to get to know you better or is it yet another essay similar to that of the pharmCAS application essay?
Thanks.
Don't be nervous :D my interview experience there was the best out of 3 schools i went to. Regarding the writing part, they just want to know your ability to express your ideas in a short period of time (mine was about morals vs ethics)

Yup, it doesn't really say wait-listed. It says the admission cmte was unable to make a decision at the moment.

Anyone who interviewed in Jan hear back from Madison?

Anyone who interviewed in Jan hear back from Madison?

Not yet, at my interview session they told us we'd hear back 4 weeks from our interview date, but I've heard it could take 4-6 weeks.

Not yet, at my interview session they told us we'd hear back 4 weeks from our interview date, but I've heard it could take 4-6 weeks.

4- 6 weeks! It's so hard waiting

4- 6 weeks! It's so hard waiting

good luck! I interviewed on December 4 and got notified only after <3 weeks. Probably got lucky because of the holidays.