UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

According to my family physician, I won't be able to complete the hep-B series before August.....he said I'll have the first 2 done, and then I should schedule the 3rd one once I'm down there in August.....are you guys running into the same thing?? Is this ok?

I called admissions/registrar and they gave me another number to call--nobody answered :(

Thanks!

-tx

AggieGal: Congrats!!! :thumbup: :thumbup:

*EDIT* Someone finally picked up!! They told me that its totally fine to have the first two done and they can schedule the third one once we're down there (we have to get a bunch of other shots anyway when we're in SA, so its only important to get the first two hep-B shots beforehand)--we won't be put on hold or anything!

Anybody else confirmed this as well?

Members don't see this ad.

That's how I didmine. :)

And then I had the joy of revaccinating because forresidency becasue I had not converted. :(

roja said:
That's how I didmine. :)

And then I had the joy of revaccinating because forresidency becasue I had not converted. :(

Wow, roja, you need some rest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great post, TX.

FYI, for those of you in the medical center (or who work in a health care setting), most of your institutions will give you the Hep B series for free. Check with your Occupational Health office.

It'll save some money and time as you likely don't have to make an appointment to get it done. I'm going tomorrow morning. :thumbup:

BUMP!!! Rescued.

We are officially pathetic compared to the other Texas schools. Page 3!!!???

Sorry. The Salt Mines (tm) only let me out a couple of hours at a time. ;)

So, let's have some ideas for "You-tesk-a" social events for next year!

0 "Fun n' Gun" day. :D

EvoDevo said:

Um, lets see. Drink beer??

G0S2 said:
Um, lets see. Drink beer??
Sooooooo disappointed in you, man. I thought you were going to be my Minister of Fun? Anyone can come up with that idea. :rolleyes:

G0S2 said:
Wow, roja, you need some rest.

wass your point??????????? :cool:

okay, so I'm not happy about working nights.

:D

As I remember it, one of the stations was 'vaccines' and basically they made everyone go through and whatever you were missing, they jabbed your right then and there.

EvoDevo said:
Sooooooo disappointed in you, man. I thought you were going to be my Minister of Fun? Anyone can come up with that idea. :rolleyes:

Minister of Fun? Just what type of regime are you planning on starting here? Next we'll have the Secretary for Good Times. If you are indeed elected as El Presidente, I just want to be a bully henchman. I will whip the feet of those that stand in opposition to your social agenda.

Just wanted to stop in and say congratulations to the new MS1 class! I am a current 4th year, so I won't get to meet all you guys before I leave. You are comming to a great place that can take you anywhere you want to go with your medical career. We get well-prepared for boards and exposed to contacts who can help guide you into any residency and any career whether it be private practice, academics, primary care or subspecialty work. So work hard and don't forget to have outside stuff to do too.

You already have some good people here to answer questions, but if theres anything I can help with, just let me know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Spiff said:
Just wanted to stop in and say congratulations to the new MS1 class! I am a current 4th year, so I won't get to meet all you guys before I leave. You are comming to a great place that can take you anywhere you want to go with your medical career. We get well-prepared for boards and exposed to contacts who can help guide you into any residency and any career whether it be private practice, academics, primary care or subspecialty work. So work hard and don't forget to have outside stuff to do too.

You already have some good people here to answer questions, but if theres anything I can help with, just let me know.

Thank you Spiff. Good to hear. What are your plans??

I went out last night and ran into a few medical students here. They were really nice and had only great things to say about our future school. I am really excited about going to a school where everyone is excited to have us there! Well in any event I just thought you guys would like to know that our future classmates are pretty awesome.

AggieGal said:
I went out last night and ran into a few medical students here. They were really nice and had only great things to say about our future school. I am really excited about going to a school where everyone is excited to have us there! Well in any event I just thought you guys would like to know that our future classmates are pretty awesome.

Are you in San Antonio already??

-tx

txguy said:
Are you in San Antonio already??

-tx

Yep, I graduated in December. I am working at a law firm near the medical center. (I'm originally from SA..I wasn't just really confident about getting in :) )

OK I need opinions on something...My dad really wants me to live with him. He lives 30 minutes away from the school. However, I wouldn't have to pay rent, bills, or for food...plus it would just be the two of us, so not really any outside distractions. I am not sure though. What do you guys think? Is 30 minutes (about 20 miles) too far away?? I was thinking I could just stay at the school until I was completely done and then go home. The downside would be not getting to go home in the middle of the day for anything. I dunno...

G0S2 said:
Minister of Fun? Just what type of regime are you planning on starting here? Next we'll have the Secretary for Good Times. If you are indeed elected as El Presidente, I just want to be a bully henchman. I will whip the feet of those that stand in opposition to your social agenda.
Cool. Sounds good to me. There will be feet needin' a whippin' sure enough. :smuggrin:

Who wants to be the Minister of Debauchery then?? :D

Spiff said:

Hiya Spiff:

Thanks for that. :) I'm really excited about attending "U-tesk-A" and can't wait to get started.

For both you and Roja, what are the fun places for drinking/meeting people in San Antone?

AggieGal said:
Yep, I graduated in December. I am working at a law firm near the medical center. (I'm originally from SA..I wasn't just really confident about getting in :) )

OK I need opinions on something...My dad really wants me to live with him. He lives 30 minutes away from the school. However, I wouldn't have to pay rent, bills, or for food...plus it would just be the two of us, so not really any outside distractions. I am not sure though. What do you guys think? Is 30 minutes (about 20 miles) too far away?? I was thinking I could just stay at the school until I was completely done and then go home. The downside would be not getting to go home in the middle of the day for anything. I dunno...
Umm...though it *would* save you money in the long run, it might be detrimental to your sanity in school. I've a friend who made this choice and it's been.....tough. Besides, after a long day/night @ school, would you really want to drive 30 minutes home?

Just my two cents.

AggieGal said:

there are a good number of people who either chose to live at home, with someone else, or are married and live kinda far away...so you definitely wouldn't be alone. however, if you plan on being involved on campus (IM sports, certain organizations, socializing), it makes life a little more difficult if you have a drive to worry about. traffic can also suck in the mornings. BUT...money is ALWAYS a nice thing to have handy :D i would make the drive a few times in rush hour and see if it's something you want to do, but of course there's always diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

EvoDevo said:
Hiya Spiff:

Thanks for that. :) I'm really excited about attending "U-tesk-A" and can't wait to get started.

For both you and Roja, what are the fun places for drinking/meeting people in San Antone?
don't worry about that - we'll take care of yall during orientation ;)

Thanks for both posts. I make the drive every morning and night right now (I'm working on Huebner), but I can totally see where the 30 minute drive would SUCK late at night. I'm just not sure. I have some time to thing it over though. As of right now, I am thinking it would be nice to live near campus.

EvoDevo said:

So let's see some ideas...

o Fun n' Gun :thumbup:
o Pajama Party???? :confused:
o Schlitterbahn (greatest water park ever built by man)
o Poker (probably shouldn't be thinking about gambling over the next four years)
o Wine Tasting/Slip N' Slide Party
o I'll think of other things................

lane said:

Oftly nice :love:

some people tried to have a pimps n hos party last year, but of course some zealous party poopers got all PC and killed it. apparently the class ahead of us takes the whole professional school thing too far (outside of class is too far IMO). to avoid those same problems i suggest a pajama party - people can still come scantily clad in whatever they sleep in but there's no (intentional) degrading or misogynistic undertones for anyone to be offended.

lane said:
some people tried to have a pimps n hos party last year, but of course some zealous party poopers got all PC and killed it. apparently the class ahead of us takes the whole professional school thing too far (outside of class is too far IMO). to avoid those same problems i suggest a pajama party - people can still come scantily clad in whatever they sleep in but there's no (intentional) degrading or misogynistic undertones for anyone to be offended.

Just a warning, I sleep in a Speedo.

lane said:

Sweeet :D :cool:

USCTex said:
So let's see some ideas...

o Fun n' Gun :thumbup:
o Pajama Party???? :confused:
o Schlitterbahn (greatest water park ever built by man)
o Poker (probably shouldn't be thinking about gambling over the next four years)
o Wine Tasting/Slip N' Slide Party
o I'll think of other things................

I play hold 'em too!! (I suck, but I always have alot of fun)

-tx

lane said:

Hehe, that's funny. Hopefully our class will not be a party-pooper class.

Does no one else sleep in a giant pink bunny suit???? :confused:

DB0010sd.jpg

G0S2... I am headed off to do ENT. Incidently, we had 9 people match in ENT this year which is nothing short of phenomenal for state school applicants in such a competitive specialty. It is a great testament to the strength of the department here and some of the wonderful faculty you will soon meet.

As for fun places to go... don't worry, the soon-to-be-MS2's (freshly delirious from their neuroscience final) from will show you the ropes. There's no one answer for everyone. The good news is that the class is large enough that you will be able to find groups of like-minded people who share your interests, whatever they may be.

Spiff said:
G0S2... I am headed off to do ENT. Incidently, we had 9 people match in ENT this year which is nothing short of phenomenal for state school applicants in such a competitive specialty. It is a great testament to the strength of the department here and some of the wonderful faculty you will soon meet.

As for fun places to go... don't worry, the soon-to-be-MS2's (freshly delirious from their neuroscience final) from will show you the ropes. There's no one answer for everyone. The good news is that the class is large enough that you will be able to find groups of like-minded people who share your interests, whatever they may be.
Wow! Nine ENT placements??? :eek: :thumbup: Congrats, Spiff.

Spiff said:

Congratulations!! That is impressive. That is one of the many reasons why I likes UTHSCSA- Strong student satisfaction with a supportive atmosphere and the ability to do whatever you wanted if you worked hard.

I think I might have been a little overexuberant. It was 8 people (unless I am forgetting someone) that matched... which is still incredible.

Edit... I just remembered the 9th person. So it was definitely nine.

Spiff said:
I think I might have been a little overexuberant. It was 8 people (unless I am forgetting someone) that matched... which is still incredible.

Edit... I just remembered the 9th person. So it was definitely nine.
it was 9 of 11 according to hilton ;)

EvoDevo said:
Does no one else sleep in a giant pink bunny suit???? :confused:

DB0010sd.jpg

already been done this year...the guy's roommate came dressed as a yellow chicken :D

AggieGal said:

I lived in alamo hieghts (about 15-20 minute drive) and it was not a problem.

Spiff said:

Impressive! Congrats :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

Spiff said:

Wow, that is definitely impressive! Congrats on your placement! It is good to know that we will be going to a school with good prospects for specialty success! :D

*BUMP* Come on guys! It sure is pretty outside today--60 degrees, sunshining, ahhhhh....and I'm studying =(

AsianDoc816 said:
*BUMP* Come on guys! It sure is pretty outside today--60 degrees, sunshining, ahhhhh....and I'm studying =(

First off, it's actually dreary and cast over in Los Angeles :(

Second, WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've gotten into a great med school and yet the effort continues huh? I've just about given up on this semester. :rolleyes:

Pickup a glass of wine and go outside and just watch the clouds or something.

USCTex said:
First off, it's actually dreary and cast over in Los Angeles :(

Second, WHAT?!!!!!!!!!!!!
You've gotten into a great med school and yet the effort continues huh? I've just about given up on this semester. :rolleyes:

Pickup a glass of wine and go outside and just watch the clouds or something.

Believe me, I'm not as studious these days as you'd think! I have lost all motivation to study and do well in my classes (keep in mind that I graduated one year ago). I thought that taking extra classes would be *fun*, but what the HELL was I thinking? Anyway, I would drop all of my classes, but then I'd feel like a lazy quitter! :laugh:

Oh, and in a few hours I'm going to eat sushi! :D

You guys are funny. I'm totally lazy too --- been that way for the past 2 yrs! But unlike you all, I get to enjoy (~cough~) cold, dreary michigan weather (though this wknd isn't too cold). Don't know what I'm gonna do with all my winter clothes when i move back to TX.

AsianDoc816 said:
(keep in mind that I graduated one year ago)

I knew that (but I forgot)...
anyway, it only further muddles why you're studying (although I'm taking some classes for "fun" this semester).
Still the sushi does improve the situation.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sushi.

Status
Not open for further replies.