UT Southwestern Class of 2013!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Lainapox: Anatomy starts 1 week after Biochemistry, and you get thrown right into lab the first day (the first lab is the superficial back, which is essentially impossible to mess up.)

You would be surprised. Oh, you would be surprised. :uhno:

Members don't see this ad.

is it possible to use the DART light rail, transfer to trinity railway express, and get dropped off at southwestern?

i tried looking at the dart web site but couldn't find a straight answer

Members don't see this ad :)
is it possible to use the DART light rail, transfer to trinity railway express, and get dropped off at southwestern?

Yep, you get off at Medical (Market) Center, and there is a shuttle that goes straight to campus and various parts of the Medical Center, and to Parkland, etc. I've done it a couple times, its quite simple/straightforward. Now this is with the TRE, coming in from FW. From elsewhere you'd switch to the TRE...

http://www.dart.org/maps/printrailmap.asp

Just out of curiosity, can any current students comment on how much studying (i.e. about how many hours per day, how much during the weekend) they did during MS1 and MS2? How much free time did you guys find yourself having?

You may find that how much studying _most_ people do ends up being a fairly meaningless number to you. About the only thing that's certain is that you'll study more than you want to. :smuggrin:

Yes -- you'll have to transfer at Union Station. The segment from Dallas Union Station to Medical/Market Center is part of the "Trinity Railway Express", not of DART per se, which is probably why you had trouble. However, the discounted annual DART pass that you will be able to buy from the school will cover that segment.

Two cautions --
1) The TRE doesn't run as frequently as the DART light rail, but for first and second year that probably won't be a major concern.
2) The Medical/Market Center stop is NOT particularly safe at night. Don't plan to go home at 9:00, especially if you're female.

I know there's no huge rush, but I was wondering if upperclassmen had tips on the following items (i'm sorry if this has already been asked here!).
1. Scrubs...any place you can get them cheaper than $15, which is the SNMA price? Recommendations on how many sets to get (with the anatomy destruction)? And while we're at it, the best way to get that stink out?

2. Stethoscopes...I've heard students recommend allheart.com and some sites. According to Dr. Wagner's writeup, the Master Cardiology and 3M are recommended...when would you recommend we get these and any tips on good deals?

3. Same for diagnostic sets: do we really need them right now or can that wait?

Thanks so much for any advice :)

I know there's no huge rush, but I was wondering if upperclassmen had tips on the following items (i'm sorry if this has already been asked here!).
1. Scrubs...any place you can get them cheaper than $15, which is the SNMA price? Recommendations on how many sets to get (with the anatomy destruction)? And while we're at it, the best way to get that stink out?

2. Stethoscopes...I've heard students recommend allheart.com and some sites. According to Dr. Wagner's writeup, the Master Cardiology and 3M are recommended...when would you recommend we get these and any tips on good deals?

3. Same for diagnostic sets: do we really need them right now or can that wait?

Thanks so much for any advice :)
I can't really be of much help with scrubs. I bought mine from SNMA and apparently I'm really anal about scrubs (see one of my recent posts in the allopathic forums if you want more clarification.) You get the stink out by washing them.

As for your other questions:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=8311562&postcount=333

I found the school's prices competitive with online sources when I looked last year, so I just ordered from the school.

So for anatomy you basically need tissue forceps, 2-3 scalples (they get lost easily), dissection sissors, blades that fit your scalples, and something to keep them all in--so a dissecting kit will cover you. Dissecting groups (four to a cadaver) usually get two-three dissecting kits. AMSA and the AMA sell dissection kits, gloves, scrubs, clipboards, etc at orientation at a discount and this is where 90% of the class gets that taken care of. Some upperclassmen will even give old scrubs, shoes, books, and dissecting kits to their little sibs. Student council sells stethescopes, opthalmoscopes, etc which you should *definitely* wait to buy. Parking is handled at orientation (aka they won't ticket you the first day). I was here early for research and had all that covered and was extremely bored at orientation because most people were waiting in line for things like this. Premed analness is not awarded until third year, teehee ;) Also, I know you guys feel out of the loop... maybe you're not getting as many emails as you want telling you what is going on, etc, but the skill of just showing up at the right place at the right time and figuring it out as you go is something that will help you loads later on.

Txprodigal, I've known people that commute from Plano. It just depends how long you want to drive. Class first year starts at 9 (second year 10) so for the first year you'll be fighting traffic. I would usually get in at 7 am and study in the library to get around that problem.

Just want to say thanks for all your help in this thread, it's all pretty reassuring!

Also, there are a lot of mixed opinions about the dissection kits (which seem to have risen in price by quite a lot if that one post is correct) so I'm not really sure what to do about that; i preordered the TMA and AMSA kits, I wonder if that still obligates me to pick them up if I find a better option :rolleyes:

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but how necessary is it to actually read the Reference reading?
I've gone through the biochem lecture notes and they seem pretty straightforward.

Should I be concerned that I'll miss something mentioned in the reference reading?

Thanks!

-A

I'm not sure if this has been asked already, but how necessary is it to actually read the Reference reading?
I've gone through the biochem lecture notes and they seem pretty straightforward.

Should I be concerned that I'll miss something mentioned in the reference reading?

Thanks!

-A

I don't know how many times this can be said, but again...the ONLY study material you'll need is the syllabus and lecture for every class in the first 2 years besides genetics and maybe anatomy.

Hope you guys had an awesome time at orientation! WELCOME! Try to befriend an upperclassman to get the scoop on classes, keep asking stuff on SDN... usually the board will die down now, but I think now that class is starting our advice will become more useful. Don't let biochem (or anatomy) get you down or stressed... focus on putting the time in with the material and adjusting. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha, right when classes start, this thread dies....

I am too tired to reread old posts, but for the diagnostic kits, what do you guys recommend. My college mentor was saying something to the effect that whatever you get, you will get adjusted to using it, so it really doesn't matter. I am not really looking into going to neuro/ ophto/ ENT, so I really do not want to get the panoptic junk. I want the simple pocket sized...

Any advice on good, relevant, meaningful ways to get involved/get some leadership opportunities?

Diagnostic kits: Yup, get the pocket set that takes regular AA batteries.

Kelladros, did you go to orientation? Did you join any student organizations? I think you guys have probably had student elections by now, right? Besides taking part in student class leadership and/or student organizations, what kind of leadership opportunities were you thinking about?

Any advice on good, relevant, meaningful ways to get involved/get some leadership opportunities?

I think in general the student orgs aren't organized enough to be very meaningful. Monday clinic is an exception... they put a lot of time into it and are organized. Don't get me wrong, I love the free lunches that most groups put on but usually that's all the other student groups do. Thinking back I would have either done a bunch of volunteering at Monday Clinic so I could have been an officer second year, or I would have found a volunteer program that allowed me to participate once a month (I tend to look like an idiot and not really be able to help out at the once a year programs, although some really enjoy them), or I would have ran for student office. Med students can probably only handle one meaningful thing on top of a few other things (intermurals, one day/year-type volunteering, and general student orgs).

So about anatomy:

Do we just come dressed in scrubs and stay for the whole day, or do we change there?

Carrels. The shy can use the restrooms, but the wait times get silly. Our carrel started kicking men out of the back room of the carrel and designating that as a ladies' changing area. Men just changed wherever -- nobody cares about seeing boxers.

Re: scrubs and stuff
Do we get lockers or something? Or do we just change in our carrels (what a way to bond with our college-mates)?

I think in general the student orgs aren't organized enough to be very meaningful. Monday clinic is an exception... they put a lot of time into it and are organized. Don't get me wrong, I love the free lunches that most groups put on but usually that's all the other student groups do. Thinking back I would have either done a bunch of volunteering at Monday Clinic so I could have been an officer second year, or I would have found a volunteer program that allowed me to participate once a month (I tend to look like an idiot and not really be able to help out at the once a year programs, although some really enjoy them), or I would have ran for student office. Med students can probably only handle one meaningful thing on top of a few other things (intermurals, one day/year-type volunteering, and general student orgs).

Thanks, Monday Clinic was what i was initially interested in, so its nice that's it's organized and should be fun for me (and my CV of course)

I wasn't really that interested in student office since some of the positions weren't really defined that well and I didnt want to get stuck doing crap.

DO NOT WEAR SCRUBS TO CLASS. EVER.

(Though, I guess on Monday they will actually be clean and it wouldn't be such a big deal.....but get into the habit now.)

LOL, can you believe my class always had a few who did? Yikes.

LOL, can you believe my class always had a few who did? Yikes.

It's medical school. No one should freak out because someone is in scrubs on gross days for crying out loud.

It's medical school. No one should freak out because someone is in scrubs on gross days for crying out loud.

I'm afraid that stinking up a room is no less rude for a medical student than it is for anybody else.

I'm afraid that stinking up a room is no less rude for a medical student than it is for anybody else.

That's why a school should schedule gross lab in the afternoon. Problem solved. Not that difficult.

Is it better to wear scrubs in class?