Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Either way, it sounts like you would need a partner who is willing to be a housewife while you go to med school and beyond. I don't see how you would have more time or be more likely to find someone in a civilian school. USUHS provides good financial security, making it conducive to family biulding... Especially during residency and pregrad years.

As far as the service being more time consuming than civilian med, It is possible that the military allows you more time for family... but that probably depends on your station and job descrition at the time. Civilian med school is probably more time consuming than military at all times... the only equalizer being that you don't get deployed as a civilian.

Bottom line, I don't think that your idea of social life should affect your decision to go to USUHS or stay civie. I think that you will be faced with the same issues either way. In my oponion, the military is a better choice for family biulding, and neither is a good choice for socializing.

Hello All!
I'm a long time reader on this forum and especially this topic. I have learned so much from everyone's input. So much time have I spent equivocating the pros and cons of military medicine and it hasn't been until now that I have found a post that I am truly interested in pursuing further.

I am a post bacc student who is in the midst of the applying to medical schools (one of them being USUHS). After reading your thread I was slightly confused about your statement pertaining to military life being able to affording more family time. I am sure that this statement perked up many eyebrows and I, for one, am interested in hearing any advice or paths that people have taken on how they have managed a "healthy" or "balanced" family life during and after USUHS.

Members don't see this ad.

I just read from the website. If I can become a citizen by November 1 of the year before entering, my file will reactivate. Also, because each matriculant will be commissioned as an officer, all incoming medical students must be U.S. citizens. And the school of medicine deserves to know that the men serving have complete allegiance to this country alone. Maybe I can try to apply and see what happens. I have been a U.S. resident past five years (waiting time).

Always faithful. Let's hope the best and the interests of the U.S.

lifeistough-It is great that you have such a strong desire to serve! Just for your information I am pretty sure that the citizenship issue is tied to being able to hold a security clearance. ALL officers in the military are required to hold a security clearance, and to get a security clearance you must be a citizen.

Hello All!
I'm a long time reader on this forum and especially this topic. I have learned so much from everyone's input. So much time have I spent equivocating the pros and cons of military medicine and it hasn't been until now that I have found a post that I am truly interested in pursuing further.

I am a post bacc student who is in the midst of the applying to medical schools (one of them being USUHS). After reading your thread I was slightly confused about your statement pertaining to military life being able to affording more family time. I am sure that this statement perked up many eyebrows and I, for one, am interested in hearing any advice or paths that people have taken on how they have managed a "healthy" or "balanced" family life during and after USUHS.

I don't think your wife necessarily needs to be a Housewife. I'm a third year USUHS guy. There are a few married couples in my class. Some married members have a spouse that is active duty, but not in medicine. The military will go to great lengths (albeit after graduation) to put people in the same location as a spouse that is active duty. Also, you get 30 days of vacation per year.

Now, most housewives married to students are usually housewives because they are staying home with kids. USUHS covers all medical expenses for students and their families.

Now, deployment is a seperate issue. But, you do not deploy if you are in med school, internship, or residency. So, if you are an army guy selecting Internal Medicine, that means 7 years after matriculating at USUHS before you deploy.

Military medicine is socialized medicine. The $ sign is not the bottom line. Before I started med school, the OR at Pensacola shut down for a staff Pizza party on a Wednesday (non-holiday weekend). You don't see that on the civilian side.

I've been associated with the military all my life. There are ups and downs. During times of war, doctors leave their families for 6 months to 15 months at a time. Some have already gone a total of 2 years in the current war. Now, in times of minimal deployment, you deploy much less (I hate to say never, but it could be that). Some military doctors had done their whole career (nearly 20 years) in one location before being sent off on deployment to Iraq as a colonel, having never deployed before.

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems it's hard to find much information online for USUHS, but I've read all the posts on SDN and gone through the school website.

As a girl, do you think that puts me at an advantage to apply there, since it seems there are usually a smaller number of girls and they'd like to balance the ratio, or a disadvantage because the school accepts that there will be more guys than girls every year? I wonder if anyone has any info on successful GPAs or MCAT scores for girls, or in general anything different than the 3.5 30 they list.

As much as many people talk about how military medicine is not for them, I'm confident that this is the school I want to attend. Although I don't have prior experience, my father retired with the Army after 23, my mom did a few years, and my brother is currently in Iraq with the National Guard, so I know what Army life is like.

Anyone else have USUHS as their first choice for the 08 cycle?

As a girl, do you think that puts me at an advantage to apply there, since it seems there are usually a smaller number of girls and they'd like to balance the ratio, or a disadvantage because the school accepts that there will be more guys than girls every year?

I think you got some misinformation. I know for at least my class it was over 50% female. I don't think being female is a disadvantage or advantage really. The only way it would come into play is if there were a sudden downturn in female applicants and the school wanted to keep the class balanced.

2cor4seven:

I don't think being female is a disadvantage in the application process. I am a non-trad female, civilian (although I was a navy brat growing up) had a 29 MCAT and 3.7 GPA and was accepted. I am in the class of 2011 and will start this fall.

I think that being sincere, having a basic understanding of the challenges of military medicine, having an idea of the challenges of a military lifestyle, and a desire to serve the military population are far more important in the interviewing process than gender. I think you've got that covered ;)

USUHS was the school I wanted to attend most, although I did consider several others. I will know a lot more about the school in the next few months, feel free to PM me.

According to the USUHS website, the 2008-2010 admissions handbook and catalog will be available online starting August 22nd. It's unlikely much will have been changed; maybe it will have updated photographs or something. I'm pretty sure all the students pictured in the last version were at war with the Soviet Union.

http://www.usuhs.mil/admissions.html

Not much activity on this thread lately, but I thought I'd share that small tidbit. Anyone else have any interesting USUHS news?

--LumberJack

Quick question. How often/what time/location do the students at USUHS conduct physical training during the school year?

I just noticed that during the in processing week there were PT sessions being conducted early morning. Is this normal for USUHS or is it just required that students pass the required bi-annual PT tests?

On interview day, when you fill out the paperwork to select your preference for military branch, how exactly does that work?

I read a posting from a couple years back on this thread that made it seem like if you picked Navy for instance as your first choice, and there were no more slots left for Navy at USU you were pretty much SOL.

Would they ever offer you your second choice if you marked that you were willing to serve in both?

I have previously served time in the army, but am interested in the AF (grass is always greener I suppose. 4-6 month deployments vs 15-18 month deployments). How will this impact my selection for AF at USUHS?

Quick question. How often/what time/location do the students at USUHS conduct physical training during the school year?

I just noticed that during the in processing week there were PT sessions being conducted early morning. Is this normal for USUHS or is it just required that students pass the required bi-annual PT tests?

PT at USUHS is conducted basically on your own. There is no organized PT except for the first week (in-processing) which consisted of an Army vs. Navy dodgeball tournament and a relay contest between the three services (Public Health was teamed up with Navy). Naturally Army won both the dodgeball games and the relay events :)

Paul- I don't know the details of how the service preference works. I ranked Navy and Air Force equally with Army third and was offered an Air Force slot. There are several Air Force students this year who have prior service in the Navy and Army- didn't seem to be a problem changing services.

Air Force was running while the Army and Navy were playing dodgeball... I was jealous!

Several people ended up in the Army after having ranked Air Force or Navy first. How it works is: the school will call you and say that you can either accept an Army slot, or you can be put on the wait list for the service that is your first choice and hope that someone drops their acceptance to USU or is medically disqualified. But once you accept another service, there's no going back if slots open up.

As for deployments, please keep in mind that there is no reason to think that the military will need to continue such long deployments by the time you are deployable, so I don't really see that as an issue. I graduate next year, and am sure that by the time I am deployable 4-5 years from now, things will be very different: anyone who is elected president that wants to run for a second term had better get most of the troops back home by the next election. I'm not counting on anything, mind you, but it's an opinion that I've heard from every 0-6 who's been around the block.

Army has a lot of advantages, because we want to retain our docs. We guarantee promotion to 0-6 as long as you continue to pass the PT test and don't do anything supremely stupid like have an affair with a colleague or patient (not so for the other services: someone was just telling me the other day that Navy only promotes 60% of medical 0-3's to 0-4, and it gets even harder to make 0-5 or 0-6, and I've heard similar things about the Air Force). Also, please keep in mind that while Navy gets the bad press about GMO time, anything competitive for Air Force is requiring GMO ("flight doc") time as well: if you're thinking about Radiology, ENT, Ortho, ER, Derm, etc. you are risking at least 2 years of your life of twiddling your thumbs until residency, because the AF has historically not reserved spaces for USUHS students like Army does, even though HPSP can get non-military residencies and we can't. Honestly, if I had my heart set on AF despite its drawbacks, I'd go HPSP, not USUHS.

Of course I'm biased, but I have to say that so far I have no regrets about being in the Army or being at USU, which is not something that I can say for many of my AF friends who are very disgruntled at this point. One of my good friends jokes daily about finding a nice Army girl to marry so that he can switch services, and another bemoans her decision not to go to Penn State as HPSP...

On interview day, when you fill out the paperwork to select your preference for military branch, how exactly does that work?

I read a posting from a couple years back on this thread that made it seem like if you picked Navy for instance as your first choice, and there were no more slots left for Navy at USU you were pretty much SOL.

Would they ever offer you your second choice if you marked that you were willing to serve in both?

I have previously served time in the army, but am interested in the AF (grass is always greener I suppose. 4-6 month deployments vs 15-18 month deployments). How will this impact my selection for AF at USUHS?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wondering if anyone had specific numbers on the pass rates for USUHS students (Step 1 and Step2).

I always here people say they are "high," but I am not really sure what that means in terms of percent. And since I am not in school yet, how do those stats compare to other schools

Thanks.

Just wondering if anyone had specific numbers on the pass rates for USUHS students (Step 1 and Step2).

I always here people say they are "high," but I am not really sure what that means in terms of percent. And since I am not in school yet, how do those stats compare to other schools

Thanks.

Here's the hot-off-the presses numbers from the Dean's memo to us for step 2:

05-06: 148/159 first-time pass rate (no data for retakers, sorry)
Class of 2007 – 4 failures—all passed on retake 158/162

For step 1 class of 2008: around 13 out of us (160 something) didn't pass on the first try, but please keep in mind that a couple of those where people who failed it in 2007 and were given the opportunity to repeat 2nd year, or who are people who have serious problems with standardized tests (which our school lets in more than any other, because it is so pro prior-service applicants), or who have family issues at home (we're a significantly older population with most of us having families at home, which is just asking for a crisis or two per year per class).

I only know one person who fully devoted himself to studying the month we're given that didn't pass comfortably, and he passed on re-take. Those who prepared that tended to be in the C/D grade range still did fine if they studied hard.

QUOTE=USUHS2008

As for deployments, please keep in mind that there is no reason to think that the military will need to continue such long deployments by the time you are deployable, so I don't really see that as an issue. I graduate next year, and am sure that by the time I am deployable 4-5 years from now, things will be very different: anyone who is elected president that wants to run for a second term had better get most of the troops back home by the next election. I'm not counting on anything, mind you, but it's an opinion that I've heard from every 0-6 who's been around the block.

Glad you have a crystal ball. I would count on being deployed upon completion of residency/fellowship and be pleasantly surprised if you are not.

Army has a lot of advantages, because we want to retain our docs.

Yeah, the Navy and the Air Force don't want to retain physicians. Come on, get real.

We guarantee promotion to 0-6 as long as you continue to pass the PT test and don't do anything supremely stupid like have an affair with a colleague or patient (not so for the other services: someone was just telling me the other day that Navy only promotes 60% of medical 0-3's to 0-4, and it gets even harder to make 0-5 or 0-6, and I've heard similar things about the Air Force).

This is the most wildly unfounded and ridiculous of all your statements. I know of no guarantees the Army offers to make O-6. Also the Navy target promotion was 100% (more complicated than everyone who is 'up for O-4' making it) for O-4 for the Fiscal year 2008 board. Although promotion rates to O-5 and O-6 have been lower in the last few years, that has changed.
Unless you can support your projected promotion rates with date, you should NOT comment on it.http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/06Staff/FY08Board/default.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/04Staff/FY08Board/default.htmwww.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/05Staff/FY08Board/default.htm"]
[/URL]

We guarantee promotion to 0-6 as long as you continue to pass the PT test and don't do anything supremely stupid like have an affair with a colleague or patient (not so for the other services: someone was just telling me the other day that Navy only promotes 60% of medical 0-3's to 0-4, and it gets even harder to make 0-5 or 0-6, and I've heard similar things about the Air Force).

This is the most wildly unfounded and ridiculous of all your statements. I know of no guarantees the Army offers to make O-6. Also the Navy target promotion was 100% (more complicated than everyone who is 'up for O-4' making it) for O-4 for the Fiscal year 2008 board. Although promotion rates to O-5 and O-6 have been lower in the last few years, that has changed.
Unless you can support your projected promotion rates with date, you should NOT comment on it.http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/06Staff/FY08Board/default.htm
http://www.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/04Staff/FY08Board/default.htmwww.npc.navy.mil/Boards/ActiveDutyOfficer/05Staff/FY08Board/default.htm"]
[/URL]

Actually right now this is pretty much true for the Army. All the current docs I have talked to say that reaching O-6 is almost a gimme as long as you pay your dues (time) and keep your nose clean. You will probably have to shift your focus from the "clinic" to the "desk" and attend all your officer schools but those I have spoken with have said it will happen right now. Having said that, who knows if twenty years down the line Military Medicine will even exist. I see the day when everything is turned over to the civilian side with a few "sick-call" style military clinics hanging around.

Are you serious?!? Right now, there are Navy and AF docs making Army deployments routinely because there aren't enough Army docs. IF, and its a huge IF, the deployment need starts to slow, the cross-service augmentees will go away first. We will have to draw our overseas committments way down before this is going to let up on Army physicians. I know, all your O6's are saying "it goes in cycles, we've seen it before". But they haven't and these are the guys in the academic centers who aren't deployed. We haven't been a "take the fight to every corner of the globe" military since Vietnam and we are now. No one should join the military expecting anything other than multiple deployments and Army deployments are routinely 13 months at a time.

Also the Navy target promotion was 100% (more complicated than everyone who is 'up for O-4' making it) for O-4 for the Fiscal year 2008 board. Although promotion rates to O-5 and O-6 have been lower in the last few years, that has changed.

Current promotion plan through FY2010

LT to LCDR - all fully qualified (prove you should not be promoted)
LCDR - CDR - 80% in zone
CDR - CAPT- 80% in zone

Promotion opportunities are looking good.

I have read most of this thread and I have to say thank you to all of you who have given such informative answers. I have a few questions. Some may echo other questions that others have asked, but bear with me. I am 30 and just graduated. I've applied to several schools and have so far recieved secondaries from all (except University of Washington which turned me down because I "am not within their geographical acceptance radius"). I have a 3.7 GPA, 3.4 Science GPA and a 32 on the MCAT. I have been an RN since I was released from active duty in 2004 after having been a Navy Corpsman for 6 years. I have a wife and son who enjoy things like eating and shelter so USUHS is by far my number 1 choice. My questions:

1) Unless I seriously bone up my interview (October 4th), my chance of acceptance is pretty good right?

2) Should I get accepted, is it better to move to DC right away? I have checked USAJOBS.GOV and have found tons of government RN jobs there and with veteran preference a job should be no problem.

3) I want to be commissioned out of New Hampshire where I now live because there are no state taxes. If I move early, will they still let me claim NH residency?

4) Finally, is it better to just buy a house while in school? I know it is expensive there but retrospect tells us that we should have had used my BAH to buy a house when we got here (NH).

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but any help is much appreciated.

I have read most of this thread and I have to say thank you to all of you who have given such informative answers. I have a few questions. Some may echo other questions that others have asked, but bear with me. I am 30 and just graduated. I've applied to several schools and have so far recieved secondaries from all (except University of Washington which turned me down because I "am not within their geographical acceptance radius"). I have a 3.7 GPA, 3.4 Science GPA and a 32 on the MCAT. I have been an RN since I was released from active duty in 2004 after having been a Navy Corpsman for 6 years. I have a wife and son who enjoy things like eating and shelter so USUHS is by far my number 1 choice. My questions:

1) Unless I seriously bone up my interview (October 4th), my chance of acceptance is pretty good right?

I would think they are reasonably good, but you never know.

2) Should I get accepted, is it better to move to DC right away? I have checked USAJOBS.GOV and have found tons of government RN jobs there and with veteran preference a job should be no problem.

Getting government jobs tends to be a royal pain. By the time you are ready to start working, you may need to quit to go to school. I would guess it depends on what you are doing now.

3) I want to be commissioned out of New Hampshire where I now live because there are no state taxes. If I move early, will they still let me claim NH residency?

You can claim any state you want. If you move, but don't change driver's license and voting, you should be good to go.

4) Finally, is it better to just buy a house while in school? I know it is expensive there but retrospect tells us that we should have had used my BAH to buy a house when we got here (NH).

The housing market in DC is incredibly expensive, whereas the rental market is soft. If the current housing slowdown is similar to the last one, prices may not go up very much for 5+ years. It may not be of an advantage to buy, so it is hard to say.

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but any help is much appreciated.

While USUHS does pay more, the cost of living for the DC area is very high. With the HPSP stipend going to $1907 in July ($24K/year with AT-), you may have the same buying power in a lower cost of living area and only owe 4 years. The active time at USUHS not count towards your 20 or pay until you retire, so you may want to look at some civilian schools in cheap towns.

1) Pretty good chances just from your stats based on what they have historically accepted.
2) If you have a good job and a nice place to live at now (not sure how old your son is) you may want to stay put. If your wife is itching to move and find employment then move. I wouldn't bet on getting a government job and starting quickly enough to be a good reason to move. As mentioned, you would need to start school soon anyway. Plus, you may have to attend some training prior to showing up to USUHS if you havn't already completed officer training for your branch.
3) If you get military orders to move to DC, which you should, then you can stay a resident of NH no problem. If you move early, I am not sure how that would impact it. Probably not too much if you don't move your driver's license, voter's registration, tax info, and maintain some kind of address in NH. It seems to be pretty easy to adjust your residency while in the military.
4) Houses are very expensive and generally over-priced in the DC area right now. Those prices are probably correcting themselves a little bit now, but I doubt it would be very affordable to buy anytime soon, even with that big 2LT (or Ensign) money. You kind of have two main choices for that. 1) rent and live in a nicer area closer to the school 2) Purchase a little ways out of the DC Metro area.

But who knows, maybe things in the housing market will turn around quickly and it won't be an issue. Wish I had that crystal ball.

Good luck with your interview!

PS As has been mentioned before, only do USUHS if you are interested in serving again, otherwise you will end up all bitter here on SDN for the 7 year committment that you have to give them.

Many people take out loans, feed and shelter their families, and get by through med school without joining the military. I had an interview last week where I stayed with a family and they showed me how it is all possible. I am still keeping my options open I guess in relation to military vs. civilian options.

Thanks for the quick replies. Definitely useful. Also I'll clarify that it's not just money attracting me to USUHS. I loved the military when I was in and basically only got out to finish school more quickly.Another couple of questions.

1) The USUHS website catalog lists LASIK eye surgery as a disqualifying condition. I found a DOD instruction (I think 6010.20) that stated that LASIK is disqualifying for military service only if there are complications (+/- 8.0, chronic dry eye etc.). I have had LASIK (2 years ago) and have perfect vision without complications. I suppose USUHS goes by the DOD instruction? or do they have their own set of conditions? (I know the military actually performs LASIK on active duty members, if they wait long enough, and the FFA has approved LASIK for pilots.)

2) I know that there are age waivers and all that, but I read the instruction and it said no older than 30 by June of year of matriculation. Does that mean that as long as I am not 31 by then I don't need an age waiver? or do they count the day after you turn 30 as older than 30? Stupid question I know but I like to be prepared for complications..

Thanks again for any info.

1) I don't think the LASIK thing matters anymore...the army actually allows you to get this done at most of the installations now. I think...

2)I think you understand it correctly.

That said, you can get exceptions to just about every rule in the military...you just need the right person to approve it. It may not always be easy, but what you are talking about is doable.

I am interviewing up at USUHS soon. And am still on active duty so I will be wearing my uniform.

Does anyone have any tips for this? I will be riding the METRO from south DC up to the school, so I am not super excited about wearing my uniform the whole way and messing it up.

Should I wear civilian attire in transit, carry my uniform, and change at the school (do they have places to do so?)

Or should I just exercise great care?

Also, what is the best (Quickest) way to get out to BWI from USUHS?

Thanks in advance

While USUHS does pay more, the cost of living for the DC area is very high. With the HPSP stipend going to $1907 in July ($24K/year with AT-), you may have the same buying power in a lower cost of living area and only owe 4 years. The active time at USUHS not count towards your 20 or pay until you retire, so you may want to look at some civilian schools in cheap towns.

The most recent numbers on a single USUHS student with no military dependents is that he/she will make about 52K per year (with some of that untaxable because it's the housing allowance. check dfas.mil and use 20814 as the zip code to check the BAH housing allowance). HPSP does have a 20k signing bonus. I'm not sure about the stipend, but I'm pretty sure that I live more comfortably than an HPSP student living on a stipend.

If you view military obligation as a prison sentece, please don't come to USUHS. USUHS easily fills its quota and strongly screens out candidates who are wishy-washy about serving in the military. They don't look for people that want to do research, they don't look for people that want to serve the poor (unless you desire Public Health Service), they look for people who believe that military life is for them. The research, service to underprivileged areas, etc are just gravy.

Even though applications have dropped from 3900 per year back in the 80s to less than 2000 now, the MCAT and GPAs of entering MS1s have remained the same.

I am interviewing up at USUHS soon. And am still on active duty so I will be wearing my uniform.

Does anyone have any tips for this? I will be riding the METRO from south DC up to the school, so I am not super excited about wearing my uniform the whole way and messing it up.

Should I wear civilian attire in transit, carry my uniform, and change at the school (do they have places to do so?)

Thanks in advance

I'd just wear your uniform on the metro. But if you insist on changing at school, they do have a gym downstairs with a locker room and day lockers.

As for getting to BWI, renting a seat on an airport shuttle may help. Ask to stay with a sponsor, and ask that person to drive you. Change your ticket to Reagan, and take the metro to the airport.

Thanks in advance

There are some locker rooms in the school basement by the gym. There is also a larger gym on base that you will walk past on your way to school (The Comfort Zone) that has locker rooms. You could change there if you want to, or just stand on the metro. I don't think your uniform will get noticeably messed up on the metro anyway, but that's your call.

You can catch a MARC train from Union Station and head up to BWI. It's not the fastest way, but it can be convenient if you are able to time it right. You would take the Metro red line from USUHS to Union Station, then catch the Penn Line MARC train to BWI. Beware however, that the MARC trains leave from Union station roughly every hour, then you have a short shuttle ride from the train station to BWI. Make sure you have enough time.

MARC train info: http://www.mtamaryland.com/services/marc/schedulesSystemMaps/penn.cfm

Good luck!

Hopefully my method of transportation isn't a taste of what it would be like to live in DC on a normal day.

Drove to Waldorf, MD the night before the interview to stay with family.

Day of the interview was dropped off at a nearby bus station, rode the bus for 40 minutes to the nearest Metro.

Took the metro (two different lines) to the Medical Center stop. That took about an hour.

Luckily, as I walked out of the metro they were just about to shut the door on the "blue" shuttle that dropped off in front of USUHS. That saved me a 15 minute walk.

Finally, after the interview was picked up by my wife, we fought the rush hour traffic to BWI (luckily it wasn't too bad) and made it there in about 45 minutes or so only to find out that our plane was delayed by two hours.

Good times, gotta love it!

Hopefully my method of transportation isn't a taste of what it would be like to live in DC on a normal day.

Drove to Waldorf, MD the night before the interview to stay with family.

Day of the interview was dropped off at a nearby bus station, rode the bus for 40 minutes to the nearest Metro.

Took the metro (two different lines) to the Medical Center stop. That took about an hour.

Luckily, as I walked out of the metro they were just about to shut the door on the "blue" shuttle that dropped off in front of USUHS. That saved me a 15 minute walk.

Finally, after the interview was picked up by my wife, we fought the rush hour traffic to BWI (luckily it wasn't too bad) and made it there in about 45 minutes or so only to find out that our plane was delayed by two hours.

Good times, gotta love it!

Typical for DC.

I have a question for all of you. I am interviewing at USUHS soon and I am quite excited about it. I have already been accpeted somewhere else, but I still want to give USUHS a look. My first question is: what kind of opportunities would there be for my wife to study (she wants to be a PA, but I don't think she wants to do it through the military)? How is the family life at USUHS? I have heard it is okay. (BTW I don't have any children and don't plan on having any for a 4 years or so) If I go in the Air Force, what would be the chance of deployments during my 7 years?

Anyway, thanks for your help.

I have a question for all of you. I am interviewing at USUHS soon and I am quite excited about it. I have already been accpeted somewhere else, but I still want to give USUHS a look. My first question is: what kind of opportunities would there be for my wife to study (she wants to be a PA, but I don't think she wants to do it through the military)? How is the family life at USUHS? I have heard it is okay. (BTW I don't have any children and don't plan on having any for a 4 years or so) If I go in the Air Force, what would be the chance of deployments during my 7 years?

I'm not sure about opportunities for wife as far as becoming a PA. She would have to look into programs throughout the greater D.C. area but remember, this is D.C. If you are looking for something chances are you can find it here. Next, my experience with the family thing here at USUHS is its great. They have a VERY active Student Spouses Club and have something going on all the time for students with families (I'm married with 2 little guys). Lastly about the Air Force, I'm not 100% sure since I'm in the Army but I believe you have a decent chance at deploying after residency but it would be a short deployment. I grew up in the Air Force with my Father being a an F-15 pilot. In his 22 year career he deployed once. Good Luck.

There is a great, great PA school at Anne Arudel Community College (don't let the fact that it's a CC scare you). She would probably thrive there. If you lived more towards the north eastern side of the city it wouldn't be too bad of a drive for either of you, and the students there are bright and happy (I worked at Anne Arundel Medical Center for 6 years and saw them come through).

Good luck!

George Washington has a great PA program as well. Many Navy PAs have gone through that program.

Hi everyone-
I'm interviewing at USUHS on November 29 and I had a question about choosing a branch preference (I'm a civilian). I'm trying to choose between the Army and Air Force, and while I don't really have a strong preference between the two, I have heard the Air Force fills up fastest and has the least likely to move waitlist. My question, in addition to maybe getting some more perspective on which of the two I should choose, is if it's true that the Air Force fills up fastest, would it simply be a better strategic move to choose the Army as my first choice to maximize my chances of being accepted? Or, since it's still pretty early in the interview process, would you think all of the branches are likely to have plenty of spaces left? Thanks!

Hi everyone-
I'm interviewing at USUHS on November 29 and I had a question about choosing a branch preference (I'm a civilian). I'm trying to choose between the Army and Air Force, and while I don't really have a strong preference between the two, I have heard the Air Force fills up fastest and has the least likely to move waitlist. My question, in addition to maybe getting some more perspective on which of the two I should choose, is if it's true that the Air Force fills up fastest, would it simply be a better strategic move to choose the Army as my first choice to maximize my chances of being accepted? Or, since it's still pretty early in the interview process, would you think all of the branches are likely to have plenty of spaces left? Thanks!
Perhaps you haven't appreciated that most of the really toxic posters and most unhappy individuals on this site are former or current USAF physicians. The Army has way more opportunities for training, still has functional hospitals, and is still committed to trying to sustaining a medical department. The USAF has one medical center, and has shown no committment to supporting their medical staff. Don't be deluded into thinking the USAF has less military specific crap, rules, or that quality of life is better. None of these are accurate, and other than having shorter deployments of 6 months, I don't see any other advantage to the USAF.

Thanks for the quick replies. Definitely useful. Also I'll clarify that it's not just money attracting me to USUHS. I loved the military when I was in and basically only got out to finish school more quickly.Another couple of questions.

1) The USUHS website catalog lists LASIK eye surgery as a disqualifying condition. I found a DOD instruction (I think 6010.20) that stated that LASIK is disqualifying for military service only if there are complications (+/- 8.0, chronic dry eye etc.). I have had LASIK (2 years ago) and have perfect vision without complications. I suppose USUHS goes by the DOD instruction? or do they have their own set of conditions? (I know the military actually performs LASIK on active duty members, if they wait long enough, and the FFA has approved LASIK for pilots.)

2) I know that there are age waivers and all that, but I read the instruction and it said no older than 30 by June of year of matriculation. Does that mean that as long as I am not 31 by then I don't need an age waiver? or do they count the day after you turn 30 as older than 30? Stupid question I know but I like to be prepared for complications..

Thanks again for any info.

1. LASIK does not disqualify you from USUHS. The only thing that it would disqualify you from are going to Jump School and being a flight surgeon (and others of the ilk). There are current research that states that LASIK vs the various forms of PRK doesn't make a big difference when eye trauma occurs to remove the epithelial flap but there are other that do. So the DOD is in the process of maybe changing their regulation of LASIK with such missions.

Hi everyone-

Well I would have to say it all depends on the person. let me first state by saying you are applying in novemeber so it is probably true and I would be pretty comfortable by stating that any service you pick right now won't really make a difference. The AF always filling up earlier than the other two services hasn't always been true. But that is here nor there.
The only thing you have to ask yourself is why I would like either of the service. Being medical corps any of the branches, there isn't as much of a culture difference as one would think. However, the AF has been changing it's medical mission statement more towards primary medicine so their residency slots are more affluent in such fields. The Army's mission fields seems to encompass all serving a larger battle field, the host nation, and the home front. Because of these reasons, their residency programs are more varied (diverse). So having said that, if you want to leave your choices open as the type of specialty you want, it'll be safer to go army or navy.

Hello All!

Hi, Here's my two cents from being in the system a few years. It seems as though medical field is medical rather it be military or not. By saying this, Gen Surg and Gen Ortho will have alot of sacrifices to accomidate the traumatically wounded. Other services will be what they are both insdie and out.

Now talking family life, I think USUHS does seem to attrack more active families than other schools. Possible reasons are, school districts, financial support, health care, and social support. LIfe after USUHS, well I imagine it's as like any other residency program outside the military. Residency in general is a time in a doc's life where time is highly devoted towards learning medicine. So it is generally expected that the doc will have less time with their family. It's just a personal commitment to enjoy the course of residency that one remains "healthy and balanced" One strength that the military residency does seem to help out greatly in seems to be financal strength.

Perhaps you haven't appreciated that most of the really toxic posters and most unhappy individuals on this site are former or current USAF physicians. The Army has way more opportunities for training, still has functional hospitals, and is still committed to trying to sustaining a medical department. The USAF has one medical center, and has shown no committment to supporting their medical staff. Don't be deluded into thinking the USAF has less military specific crap, rules, or that quality of life is better. None of these are accurate, and other than having shorter deployments of 6 months, I don't see any other advantage to the USAF.

Perhaps the Army docs are too busy being deployed over and over again and working too much to have much time to complain on here? I think it is a state of mind. People that join the Air Force...like to have things their way. I don't want to say they are a bunch cry babies and whiners, but they kind of are a little...soft. And they complain and whine a lot. I mean, pilots and physicians generally think they are better than everyone else anyways, so if they can't have it their way, the world ends. And yes, the quality of life is better for Air Force personnel and their families. You can't even argue that point.

People in the Army are just used to getting crapped on all the time, so you give us anything even remotely nice and we are more content. It is just something we expect from the Army.

For instance. I flew around in the back of a C-130 on Friday while the USAF pilots trained and "mapped the earth." Winds were gusting to 30mph. We...paratroopers in the back, knew that we wouldn't jump in those conditions, but they made us load up anyway and sit there for two hours flyng around. Finally, after more than half of us had vomitted on eachother, they decided we couldn't jump. The throwing up half then proceeded to chear on the other half until they threw up to. That is the army. Having a good time...or at least memorable...kind of..time in a bad situation. If it was the Air Force, they would have just complained the whole time.

You're making the common mistake of confusing the reality for the average enlisted kid with the reality of the average physician. Your service stereotypes, while amusing, don't really apply when speaking of physicians in the various branches. I work closely with many Army interns and residents, and a good portion of my staff are Army. They seem generally as happy and hard-working as those of us in the Navy. While there are some small cultural differences, I have yet to see a substantial difference between them and us, other than a higher failure rate on the PRT.

I couldn't agree with this post more.

I'm sorry but the USAF is to many people's surprise much more hung up on rank and rules than the Army. Most practicing Army docs and in my experience Navy docs still place patient care as number one (USN is pretty rank focused as well). Quality of life is not better for a doc if you are the understaffed FP or IM doc in one of their clinics. The Army certainly has issues with understaffed clinics but in the USAF it is the norm rather than the exception. I would think long and hard before I'd jump from the Army to the AF.

This may be a stupid question, but, why isn't it possible to be a Marine Corp physician?

This may be a stupid question, but, why isn't it possible to be a Marine Corp physician?

The Marine Corps is part of the Department of the Navy. All docs that take care of Marines are Navy.

i just got a conditional acceptance today for the army!!! any other class of 2012 students on this forum??