Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed mid october and found out about three weeks later.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to USUHS 2012 recently. As someone with no prior service, I'd like to ask for some clarification for those of you who have done this already (moved to the DC area for USUHS).

The university catalog states:
Travel Expenses: Matriculants to the School of Medicine are reimbursed for travel expenses for relocating themselves and their dependents to the Washington, DC area. Travel and per diem expenses for students are partially paid while matriculants attend officers' orientation programs en route to the university. The remainder of the travel expenses are paid upon arrival at the university.

Students may move personal effects and household goods to Washington, DC, at government expense after they have consulted with the nearest military travel management office. ... Several weeks before matriculation, new students are sent detailed information on moving and travel entitlements. Students should wait for moving information and orders from the School before moving.
A number of questions:
- Does matriculation happen before or after the service orientation in the summer?

- When do the first paychecks arrive (to help pay expenses for uniforms, moving, etc)

- Do you generally move to the area before you attend the service orientation (Alabama in my case) or after you complete it?

- How much time are you given to find housing?

- What penalty or disadvantage is there to moving before your receive "moving information and orders from the School"?

- How much money do you need to have saved up to weather these changes before the reimbursements and pay come in?

Really, any information regarding the timeline of events that advances civilian to military would be helpful; when are you first sworn in, how soon do you start receiving pay, at what point does the uniform-wearing kick in, etc. It's surprisingly difficult to find good information on adapting to military life from civilian.

I've been accepted to USUHS 2012 recently. As someone with no prior service, I'd like to ask for some clarification for those of you who have done this already (moved to the DC area for USUHS).

Really, any information regarding the timeline of events that advances civilian to military would be helpful; when are you first sworn in, how soon do you start receiving pay, at what point does the uniform-wearing kick in, etc. It's surprisingly difficult to find good information on adapting to military life from civilian.

I can't answer all your questions, as I have yet to attend USUHS. But, to some of your other questions.

- When do the first paychecks arrive (to help pay expenses for uniforms, moving, etc) - You get paid officially on the 15th and 1st of each month. Typically the payment posts a couple days early though. Once you "in-process" (read: are sworn in, fill out all the right paperwork, and are "on active duty") you will typically get paid they second pay cycle after you come in. Example: You come on active duty, according to your orders, on the 5th of June, you would get paid on the 1st of July. If you came in on the 14th of June, you would still get paid by the 1st of July.

- How much time are you given to find housing? The military usually gives you 10 days of permissive TDY, basically, "days off work" for house hunting, moving in your belongings, etc. These are not work days and include the weekends. Thus it is 10 calendar days of free vacation, you are paid during this time by the way. Obviously, if you are looking to buy a home, it isn't enough time, so you will have to stay in a temporary location. It may be enouh time if you are renting, but just barely. So, you should figure out where you will live before you move, then request the 10 free days once you show up in order to get settled.

- What penalty or disadvantage is there to moving before your receive "moving information and orders from the School"? There isn't a "penalty" but there is a huge disadvantage. If you move, before you get orders you will likely lose out on 1) all moving costs 2) all travel costs (lodging, meals, 0.48$ per mile that you drive your own car, etc) 3) Possibly lose out on another $1500 or so of "displacement" allowance that you are given for moving. If you don't have orders, you will get none of this. If you get orders after you have moved, it would be extremely difficult to get the money back. So...just wait for the orders than move. Trust me.

- How much money do you need to have saved up to weather these changes before the reimbursements and pay come in? Well, whatever you think it would cost to move and sustain life until your first paycheck. You will be paid back for moving and traveling about 4 weeks after you make your move and submit your paperwork. So, you can either pay out of pocket up front, or use your credit cards knowing that you may not be able to fully pay off your balance until the next billing cycle. At least you know that you will be getting a paycheck though.

Hope some of this helps. You will find some variation between the services and of course, if someone along the way messes up your paperwork, it may take longer to get paid. But, what I have provided is general and is based on my experiences in the army.

Members don't see this ad :)
USUHS requires a letter from the person who supervised your clinical experience for admission to the school. My clinical experience consisted of shadowing many docs for one day a piece in a summer program where we didn't really have any contact at all with supervisors. Also, since each doc was only for about 5 hrs a piece, I didn't get to know any of them very well either.

Would it be advisable to contact a past supervisor and try to spark up a little relationship and get them to write me a letter?
Also, did anyone get in without this type of letter?

How is everyone doing? I have an upcoming Interview at USUHS on Jan 17. In the interview do they ask the type of questions that a regular med school admission interviewer would ask? Also if they do ask nontraditional questions, what do they ask? Also for the Branch selection, I would like to serve my time with NAVY, what are the chances of being put on the waitlist if I have my interview this late? Am I better of picking ARMY? Any other thoughts and advice would be much appreciated.

pick whichever service you want, it honestly varies year to year which is the hard service to get in, they ask you to rank them anyway, and it doesnt matter for non-prior service kids.

As for glacialfury's questions. I'm airforce, and i found it best to find my apartment BEFORE i left for alabama - b/c while you are there you really really dont have much time, and the DC housing market is tight. i also found a landlord who would let me start my lease august 15th... so it wasnt that bad on my financials :)

pick whichever service you want, it honestly varies year to year which is the hard service to get in, they ask you to rank them anyway, and it doesnt matter for non-prior service kids.

Not necessarily true. For the past several years Air Force has always been the hardest to get. Army will always be the easiest simply due to having the most number of positions. (This doesn't include PHS as they have so few slots)

my year navy filled up first, then air force... but yes, army is usually "easiest" to get b/c there is more spots. But I was told it depends on how many people are coming from academies and off deployment and whatnot, since they dont get to choose their service

Thanks again for the info. I had a couple more questions about residencies. After you finish your 4th year, do you have a good chance of getting the residency that you want or do they pick that for you. Say if I wanted to go into surgery - maybe neuro, orthro or plastics? Are those resonable choices or would I just go for general surgery as the run-of-the-mill profession in the military medicine?

Thanks again for the info. I had a couple more questions about residencies. After you finish your 4th year, do you have a good chance of getting the residency that you want or do they pick that for you. Say if I wanted to go into surgery - maybe neuro, orthro or plastics? Are those resonable choices or would I just go for general surgery as the run-of-the-mill profession in the military medicine?

Surgery's generally harder to get and you have to show that you deserve it. Good grades, board scores, leadership experience, great evals, etc. When it comes time and you decide to do a fellowship for subspecialty, you need to demonstrate that you've earned it.

There's a general misconception that the military will choose for you your specialty. It won't. You might not get what you want right after med school but you can do some tours as a general medical officer, gain some experience, and then reapply for the residency/fellowship should you need to beef up your resume. This is rare too in that most people get their first choices. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

Hey,
I am deciding between USU and a couple other schools. What I would like to know is how good are the training and education there compare to some top 30 schools?

Hey,
I am deciding between USU and a couple other schools. What I would like to know is how good are the training and education there compare to some top 30 schools?

From what I've heard, USUHS students continually impress their mentors during internship, residency, and fellowship years compared to HPSP students. Interpret this with a grain of salt though because such evaluations come primarily from military med training programs and USUHS is a military academy - so maybe some bias?

The LCME people recently went through our school and we're set for another 6 years of accreditation. The word was that they were pretty impressed with our curriculum, especially the military aspect of things.

Step 1 scores have been slightly below the national average. One theory for this may be the fact that USUHS has so many students who are parents. Also, there seems to be more older students and prior service members who have been away from academia longer.

Personally, I think the training here's great. All of your resources are provided for you and the problem becomes choosing what to focus on. Hope this helps. Goodluck. Oh btw, USUHS is THE place to train if you want to do military med.

Surgery's generally harder to get and you have to show that you deserve it. Good grades, board scores, leadership experience, great evals, etc. When it comes time and you decide to do a fellowship for subspecialty, you need to demonstrate that you've earned it.

There's a general misconception that the military will choose for you your specialty. It won't. You might not get what you want right after med school but you can do some tours as a general medical officer, gain some experience, and then reapply for the residency/fellowship should you need to beef up your resume. This is rare too in that most people get their first choices. Hope this helps. Goodluck.

I'm sorry but what evidence do you have that Surgery is "harder to get"? General Surgery is not a competitive residency. I can't recall meeting a single intern who wanted to be a General Surgeon in some other internship (and if you want the residency, you might have to do a GMO in the Navy, but you'll definitely get it). In fact, just the fact that a few interns go straight through in GS most years shows that it is not particularly competitive.

The surgical subs, on the other hand, are quite competitive.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry but what evidence do you have that Surgery is "harder to get"? General Surgery is not a competitive residency. I can't recall meeting a single intern who wanted to be a General Surgeon in some other internship (and if you want the residency, you might have to do a GMO in the Navy, but you'll definitely get it). In fact, just the fact that a few interns go straight through in GS most years shows that it is not particularly competitive.

The surgical subs, on the other hand, are quite competitive.

You'd definitely know more than me. My experience is anecdotal and reflects the impressions I got from the residency fair that took place in DC last week. Maybe you're uber-competitive and don't see any competition.

Since only a "few interns go straight through in GS most years," as opposed to most, isn't GS harder to get than say... Peds or Family Practice?

You'd definitely know more than me. My experience is anecdotal and reflects the impressions I got from the residency fair that took place in DC last week. Maybe you're uber-competitive and don't see any competition.

Since only a "few interns go straight through in GS most years," as opposed to most, isn't GS harder to get than say... Peds or Family Practice?

General Surgery still likes to believe it is a competitive residency, but it is certainly less competitive than it was when I graduated. The key here is that there are fewer R2 spots than there are R1 spots. It skews the numbers, and makes it look worse than it is, but there are a number of surgeons who have to go out as GMOs.

GS probably is more competitive than FP or IM but, at least in the Navy, Peds has always been far more competitive than it is in the civilian world. I'm not a surgeon. My residency was one of the least competitive and my fellowship was one of the most competitive. Neither of those factors weighed in my decision.

NavyFP's comment about more interns than residents is a good point. In my opinion, the same thing is IM's saving grace. People are so adverse to doing GMO tours for some reason, that they convince themselves to stay for an IM residency instead of doing EM or Ophtho or whatever else they were originally planning to do.

I had an interview at USUHS on Dec. 6. I thought the school was GREAT, not to mention it is free! I wouldn't mind the committment either. My only reservation is residency. Exactly how do military residencies compare to civilian ones. Do military residencies have the patient variety and load that my civilian counterparts would have?

Another one is, since the military caters only to 'the military', as a military doc, would i get enough variety in patient cases?

I would appreciate any and all responses, feel free to pm me.

I had an interview at USUHS on Dec. 6. I thought the school was GREAT, not to mention it is free! I wouldn't mind the committment either. My only reservation is residency. Exactly how do military residencies compare to civilian ones. Do military residencies have the patient variety and load that my civilian counterparts would have?

Another one is, since the military caters only to 'the military', as a military doc, would i get enough variety in patient cases?

USUHS is a great school. As you may know, by going to USUHS, you're committing yourself to a military residency. (Or, a year of a military internship, then 7 years as a GMO, followed by a civilian residency, which isn't a good option for lots of reasons.)

It takes a series of awfully large leaps of faith to limit your residency choices this far in advance. First, chances are you won't wind up in the specialty you think you will as a pre-med. Second, there's just no way to predict the state of military GME 5-10 years from now, except to say that it's likely that continued outsourcing will have inflicted another 5-10 years of damage. Third, there's the GMO gamble, which could very well push the start of your residency training out to 7+ years from now.

I would submit that it's futile to make plans 7+ years in advance where the military is concerned.

When I started at USUHS, they told me that GMO tours were going away. Here we are, a decade later and tomorrow the 2007 GME selection board results will undoubtedly have ALT typed in next to the majority of Navy interns ... as it has every year. Last year the Air Force Surgeon General announced that EVERYONE who didn't match to a categorical position would do a GMO tour. And I'm not so sure the Army's solution, which includes straight-through training but then inflicts GMO duty upon the likes of newly-minted pediatricians, is much better. I suspect our friendly neighborhood caveman moderator may have words to share on that matter.

The overall trend of military GME over the last 10 years is discouraging, and most of the problems are related to the downsizing- and Tricare-related outsourcing of sick and old people. Some programs have remained excellent (I'm fortunate enough to be a resident in one of them) ... others, not so much. I could tell you which programs I hear/think are weak, but there's no point, since you probably won't wind up in the specialty you think you will, and those programs will surely have 100% staff turnover and a host of other changes by the time you arrive anyway.

IMO, the #1 drawback to matriculating at USUHS in fall 2008 is that you're betting that military GME circa fall 2013 (or 2014-2016 if you do GMO time) remains as good as or better than it is today. Nobody knows what Congress and the military will do, but further downsizing and outsourcing (perhaps thinly disguised as realignment) is all but certain.

All that said, I have nothing but great things to say about USUHS. Even this forum's harshest critics of military medicine typically acknowledge USUHS as a superb medical school.

Thanks for the info pgg. All that being said, do you have any expert suggestions?

Thanks for the info pgg. All that being said, do you have any expert suggestions?

Not really. USUHS is a good choice. Don't join the military unless you want to be in the military. Don't join for primarily financial reasons - you can always come in on the back end via FAP. Do join if you want to serve. I'm not trying to talk you out of USUHS. :)

I've heard reports that military medicine is excellent within the "Washington, DC bubble" - satisfaction with the school and residencies is generally high, but that upon leaving the DC area for bases elsewhere in the states, the primary care system (particularly in the Air Force) is broken. Clinics are vastly understaffed with few resources, a chain of command ambivalent to medical needs, and attendings working hours far beyond what was hinted at.

The general consensus of air force primary care physicians on this board is that PC is in shambles in non-DC bases, that it hurts patients, and not to sign up.

For those of you who haven't already voiced your comments in other threads, does anyone else have an opinion of the DC Bubble phenonomen? Does it exist, to what extent, etc? Does it affect your decision to attend USUHS (by all admittedly a great school, but the problems start post-residency)?

Do you get time off to study for Step 1 at USUHS?? I was looking at the MSII schedule on their website and it looked like you don't. I know that at least a few schools give you time off to do this, but I'm not sure if these were more of a rarity.

Also, does your step 1 score factor into your residency placement as much as in civilian schools?

Do you get time off to study for Step 1 at USUHS?? I was looking at the MSII schedule on their website and it looked like you don't. I know that at least a few schools give you time off to do this, but I'm not sure if these were more of a rarity.

Also, does your step 1 score factor into your residency placement as much as in civilian schools?

Yes, there is a 5-6 week window between finals in May and rotations starting in July that you can study and then take Step 1. I think most people study for about 3 weeks and then take it.

I'll let someone else address the residency question. They tell us that step 1 scores are important, but that's all I know.

I can't answer all your questions, as I have yet to attend USUHS. But, to some of your other questions.

- When do the first paychecks arrive (to help pay expenses for uniforms, moving, etc) - You get paid officially on the 15th and 1st of each month. Typically the payment posts a couple days early though. Once you "in-process" (read: are sworn in, fill out all the right paperwork, and are "on active duty") you will typically get paid they second pay cycle after you come in. Example: You come on active duty, according to your orders, on the 5th of June, you would get paid on the 1st of July. If you came in on the 14th of June, you would still get paid by the 1st of July.

- How much time are you given to find housing? The military usually gives you 10 days of permissive TDY, basically, "days off work" for house hunting, moving in your belongings, etc. These are not work days and include the weekends. Thus it is 10 calendar days of free vacation, you are paid during this time by the way. Obviously, if you are looking to buy a home, it isn't enough time, so you will have to stay in a temporary location. It may be enouh time if you are renting, but just barely. So, you should figure out where you will live before you move, then request the 10 free days once you show up in order to get settled.

- What penalty or disadvantage is there to moving before your receive "moving information and orders from the School"? There isn't a "penalty" but there is a huge disadvantage. If you move, before you get orders you will likely lose out on 1) all moving costs 2) all travel costs (lodging, meals, 0.48$ per mile that you drive your own car, etc) 3) Possibly lose out on another $1500 or so of "displacement" allowance that you are given for moving. If you don't have orders, you will get none of this. If you get orders after you have moved, it would be extremely difficult to get the money back. So...just wait for the orders than move. Trust me.

- How much money do you need to have saved up to weather these changes before the reimbursements and pay come in? Well, whatever you think it would cost to move and sustain life until your first paycheck. You will be paid back for moving and traveling about 4 weeks after you make your move and submit your paperwork. So, you can either pay out of pocket up front, or use your credit cards knowing that you may not be able to fully pay off your balance until the next billing cycle. At least you know that you will be getting a paycheck though.

Hope some of this helps. You will find some variation between the services and of course, if someone along the way messes up your paperwork, it may take longer to get paid. But, what I have provided is general and is based on my experiences in the army.

I'm an AF first year at USUHS and had a lot of the same questions that you present because I too was non-prior service. To answer your questions about the timeline, here is the basic order of things:

Interview

Accept conditional acceptance

complete physical and recieve medical clearance from DoDMERB

accept unconditional acceptance

fill out alot of paperwork from AF personnel command; sign "The Contract"

recieve oath of office; swear in as a 2nd Lt, MSC, USAF Reserve! (mid-May)

Recieve orders to COT and USUHS (mid-June)

[once you have your orders, you can do lots of stuff like purchase uniforms, make travel and moving arrangements, stop speeding bullets, etc]

Attend COT (2 Jul - 6 Aug for me) -- your first day of COT is officially your first day of active duty as a 2d Lt, MSC, Regular USAF -- this is the first day you start getting paid.

catch a flight to DC after COT and get a couple of weeks paid vaca until school starts...

I know that you probably have a lot of questions, I did too. Most of your questions will (eventually) be answered. Last year they sent us a really helpful 'student orientation guide' sometime in feb that laid out everything step-by-step (maybe you can still even find it somewhere on the usuhs site; im not sure).

What worked out for me is that I found where I wanted to live before I went to COT and signed a lease that started about a week before I was to arrive in the DC area... then I had my stuff arrive about a day after I got here after COT (the government pays for movers too, so that was nice). I would strongly advise you to have a place lined up before you go to cot b/c the housing market in DC is tight and you dont want to spend your (very little)spare time during the first weeks of school looking for an apt/moving.

As for uniforms, I bought mine after I got orders and before I went to COT (not necessary as they provide time during COT for uniform purchase but it saved me precious hours of sleep those first few days to arrive with uniforms pressed and boots shined...) I put that and other expenses on a credit card until my first paycheck came in the middle of august.

I agree that it was very difficult to find information on the transition. I bought a copy of "the air force officer's guide" and "married to the military" to help find more information about life in the military and AF; i would suggest both. The military is sort of its own little world with lots of confusing names and procedures... but really its not all that bad at all once you get used to it...

Any other questions feel free to PM me. Best of luck to all of you!

Those are great questions... I'm not a resident but I can tell you that you will see a variety of cases as a military physician... Active duty personnel have dependents (spouses and children), and also you will see a lot of retirees and their dependents too.

I was also recently accepted to USUHS for c/o 2012 and I think I'll be going have a question about residencies...I was wondering whether it is possible to take a civilian residency instead of a military residency? Does it matter?

I was also recently accepted to USUHS for c/o 2012 and I think I'll be going have a question about residencies...I was wondering whether it is possible to take a civilian residency instead of a military residency? Does it matter?

I'm not exactly sure. Once you get involved with the military - they own you until your time is up. I think that civilian residencies are possible, but you'll have to fund your own expenses. If they indeed sponsor you, it may be more years. That's how i interpreted what i was told at my interview.

I myself am trying to get ALL the answers

If you read the letter of the law it does say that USUHS students can apply for civilian deferments for residency. This happens few and far between. In recent years one has been selected for a civilian dermatology slot. So it can be done, but don't count on it.

Hey I just have some questions. Did USUHS call you on your cell or home phones? And what time of the day did they call you?

Hey I just have some questions. Did USUHS call you on your cell or home phones? And what time of the day did they call you?

cell phone, about 1pm

They called me at work, actually, in a local emergency department. I didn't even have a message on the machine at home, so it was the first place they called, I think around 10 am.

OK so i got physical clearance from the DODMERB, What's next?

If you read the letter of the law it does say that USUHS students can apply for civilian deferments for residency. This happens few and far between. In recent years one has been selected for a civilian dermatology slot. So it can be done, but don't count on it.

Backrow....you're a resident? What can you tell me about mil residencies?

Did anyone who had a November interview hear back yet?

Did anyone who had a November interview hear back yet?

my friend who interviewed on the Novemeber 1st heard back on the 19th of December. I interviewed on 15 November and haven't heard back yet. I think they're only processing half of the interviewees per week. I don't think they've met again since the week before Christmas. What day did you interview?

I interviewed on November 29th and still haven't heard anything...do they call you regardless of the decision or only if you're being offered an acceptance?

I interviewed on November 29th and still haven't heard anything...do they call you regardless of the decision or only if you're being offered an acceptance?

I believe they call you if you get accepted, and mail otherwise. I'll post on here and (hopefully) the acceptance thread when I hear something to give you a data point. Good luck!

I thought the same thing, but a few people (Navy) were called before the match this past December and asked if they wanted to do a civilian deferral. Most USUHS students do not even apply for a civilian residency. I think it's because one option offers reduced pay, the other option offers same pay, but increased time commitment. (FTIS/FTOS). Anyways, that's my two cents.

Here's another two cents. The Army has the most residency options, the Air Force has the least with the smartest med students, the Navy still has a 2-3 year GMO requirement (work as a non-board certified attending flight surgeon, ship doc, dive doc, or clinic doc for a few years),

The Navy has pretty decent residency oppurtunities, and besides, a lot of HPSPers bail after doing their GMOs and turn down a military residency.

In answer to your question...I was interviewed on NOV 17 2005, I got a waitlist letter on JAN 25th or there about. So I would guess that you should hear something from them one way or another by mid FEB at the latest. Just a note....if you rated Air Force as your highest priority you will probably be waitlisted. Those spots fill first usually. Fear not! On May 15th everybody that had USUHS as backup will release their spots and you may get the call! Also, if you are on the waitlist you may be able to switch services and get a seat in the class in a uniform that wasn't your first choice.

Short answer...give it a couple more weeks you'll have a letter saying something in hand. Good Luck!!

hey everyone, I interviewed Nov. 1 and received a conditional acceptance by mail today. This is my first time posting and thought that this info might ease a few minds. It seems that USUHS calls and writes their aceptances (I did not recieve a call). I still must waiver two Items from DoDMERB physical ( plantar fasc. from last year, its gone now, and one concerning a alcohol treatment program I attended in 2001). does anyone know if it is easier to waiver such things once youve received an acceptance? Also, if anyone is worried about age, dont be. I am 39, non previous military with unspectacular numbers (28 mcat, 3.61 GPA). I think It was my essays that swayed them. any help on the waiver issue would be much appreciated. I also wanted to thank everyone on this forum, you guys really helped out, I am just sorry I have not posted sooner, thanks again.

Hey (Glacialfury) I saw your post and wanted to add this to what the other people have said.

You are eligable to take out a "cadet loan" from USAA at up to 25K fixed at 2% interest. The catch...well none other than you have to open an account with USAA and have your paycheck direct deposited there and have auto pay set up. Many of us have done it and it is great. Not only can you pay for your expenses but you can put the extra cash into a car or a retirement fund.

Not really. USUHS is a good choice. Don't join the military unless you want to be in the military. Don't join for primarily financial reasons - you can always come in on the back end via FAP. Do join if you want to serve. I'm not trying to talk you out of USUHS. :)

This may be alittle late but I totally second this remark. I have enjoyed almost every minute I've been at USUHS. In spite of all the negative outlooks and comments within these forums I hope that things will look up. One thing is for sure if you are one that truely longs for civilian medicine and looks over the fence a lot the grass will most certainly always always always be greener over there!

Thanks for the helpful tip, I will most certainly look into it. Looking forward to meeting you "officially".

Hi everybody,

I heard recently that prior active duty officers who attend USUHS might receive their previous base pay while at USUHS - has anyone else heard this or know anything about this?

Apparently it was passed in legislation, but may or may not be funded.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

Hi everybody,

I heard recently that prior active duty officers who attend USUHS might receive their previous base pay while at USUHS - has anyone else heard this or know anything about this?

Apparently it was passed in legislation, but may or may not be funded.

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

The Defense Authorization Act of 2008, as written, passed by house and senate, and sent to the president in mid-december, contained the provision that you mention above (considered, but not included at the last minute were other such gems like promotion to O-2 for MSIII, and "years of service" credit for active duty USUHS time). This lovely bill was vetoed by President Bush in late December, with complaint over the protection of the Iraqi funds in the US. As such, it is back to the drawing board in both houses and I have no idea what frankenstein they will cobble together this time. Hopefully soon, because the 3.5% pay raise went down in flames as well with that veto.

Here's one prior O-3 that's keepin' his fingers crossed.......

The Defense Authorization Act of 2008, as written, passed by house and senate, and sent to the president in mid-december, contained the provision that you mention above (considered, but not included at the last minute were other such gems like promotion to O-2 for MSIII, and "years of service" credit for active duty USUHS time). This lovely bill was vetoed by President Bush in late December, with complaint over the protection of the Iraqi funds in the US. As such, it is back to the drawing board in both houses and I have no idea what frankenstein they will cobble together this time. Hopefully soon, because the 3.5% pay raise went down in flames as well with that veto.

Here's one prior O-3 that's keepin' his fingers crossed.......

New version of previously vetoed bill looks like it'll make it to Pres's desk with provision that prior officer's keep rank and pay but do not accrue time in service or grade while at USUHS. So for all you prior O's out there this is win-win!

You can get actual bill progress and language at http://thomas.loc.gov and search H.R. 1585...make sure you lok for the latest version though there are about 8 or 9 last I checked.

Here is the appropriate section, there are 3 paragraphs, para. a) is for USUHS, b) is for HPSP, c) is for HSCP possibly. I have a gut feeling this will not get funded because paragraph B says HPSP students will get paid their previous base pay if it is higher than O1 pay and we all know that will never happen... Maybe I am reading this wrong?

H.R.4986

National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2008 (Engrossed as Agreed to or Passed by House)

SEC. 524. TREATMENT OF PRIOR ACTIVE SERVICE OF MEMBERS IN UNIFORMED MEDICAL ACCESSION PROGRAMS.

• (a) Medical Students of USUHS-
    • (1) TREATMENT OF STUDENTS WITH PRIOR ACTIVE SERVICE- Section 2114 of title 10, United States Code, is amended--
      • (A) by redesignating subsections (c) through (h) as subsections (d) through (i), respectively; and
      • (B) in subsection (b)--
        • (i) by inserting `(1)' after `(b)'; and
        • (ii) by inserting after the second sentence the following new paragraph:
  • `(2) If a member of the uniformed services selected to be a student has prior active service in a pay grade and with years of service credited for pay that would entitle the member, if the member remained in the former grade, to a rate of basic pay in excess of the rate of basic pay for regular officers in the grade of second lieutenant or ensign, the member shall be paid basic pay based on the former grade and years of service credited for pay. The amount of such basic pay for the member shall be increased on January 1 of each year by the percentage by which basic pay is increased on average on that date for that year, and the member shall continue to receive basic pay based on the former grade and years of service until the date, whether occurring before or after graduation, on which the basic pay for the member in the member's actual grade and years of service credited for pay exceeds the amount of basic pay to which the member is entitled based on the member's former grade and years of service.'.
    • (2) CONFORMING AMENDMENTS- Such section is further amended--
      • (A) in subsection (b), by striking `Upon graduation they' and inserting the following:
  • `(c) Medical students who graduate'; and
      • (B) in subsection (i), as redesignated by paragraph (1), by striking `subsection (b)' and inserting `subsection (c)'.
  • (b) Participants in Health Professions Scholarship and Financial Assistance Program- Section 2121(c) of such title is amended--
    • (1) by inserting `(1)' after `(c)'; and
    • (2) by adding at the end the following new paragraph:
  • `(2) If a member of the uniformed services selected to participate in the program as a medical student has prior active service in a pay grade and with years of service credited for pay that would entitle the member, if the member remained in the former grade, to a rate of basic pay in excess of the rate of basic pay for regular officers in the grade of second lieutenant or ensign, the member shall be paid basic pay based on the former grade and years of service credited for pay. The amount of such basic pay for the member shall be increased on January 1 of each year by the percentage by which basic pay is increased on average on that date for that year, and the member shall continue to receive basic pay based on the former grade and years of service until the date, whether occurring before or after the conclusion of such participation, on which the basic pay for the member in the member's actual grade and years of service credited for pay exceeds the amount of basic pay to which the member is entitled based on the member's former grade and years of service.'.
  • (c) Officers Detailed as Students at Medical Schools-
    • (1) APPOINTMENT AND TREATMENT OF PRIOR ACTIVE SERVICE- Section 2004a of such title is amended--
      • (A) by redesignating subsections (e) through (h) as subsections (f) through (i), respectively; and
      • (B) by inserting after subsection (d) the following new subsection:
  • `(e) Appointment and Treatment of Prior Active Service- (1) A commissioned officer detailed as a student at a medical school under subsection (a) shall be appointed as a regular officer in the grade of second lieutenant or ensign and shall serve on active duty in that grade with full pay and allowances of that grade.
  • `(2) If an officer detailed to be a medical student has prior active service in a pay grade and with years of service credited for pay that would entitle the officer, if the officer remained in the former grade, to a rate of basic pay in excess of the rate of basic pay for regular officers in the grade of second lieutenant or ensign, the officer shall be paid basic pay based on the former grade and years of service credited for pay. The amount of such basic pay for the officer shall be increased on January 1 of each year by the percentage by which basic pay is increased on average on that date for that year, and the officer shall continue to receive basic pay based on the former grade and years of service until the date, whether occurring before or after graduation, on which the basic pay for the officer in the officer's actual grade and years of service credited for pay exceeds the amount of basic pay to which the officer is entitled based on the officer's former grade and years of service.'.
    • (2) TECHNICAL AMENDMENT- Subsection (c) of such section is amended by striking `subsection (c)' and inserting `subsection (b)'.