Usuhs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for all the advice everyone. I had my USUHS interview a couple weeks ago, and was very impressed with the school and the students. I've done a lot of thinking about post USUHS life, and Army surgery training, and all that. The one thing I haven't been able to find any information on is what USUHS Army grads do after they leave. Is it easy to get an academic position at a decent school/hospital, or does everyone go into private practice?
Any resources or stories would be very helpful.

Members don't see this ad.

The one thing I haven't been able to find any information on is what USUHS Army grads do after they leave. Is it easy to get an academic position at a decent school/hospital, or does everyone go into private practice?
Any resources or stories would be very helpful.

After they leave the military? What do HPSP people do after they leave? Is there a difference? I'm confused... but that's normal for me. Can you clarify your questions? Thanks.

What to former USUHS Army docs do after they leave the Army and become civilians (Assuming 10+ years post residency)? Are they qualified for associate professor/professor positions at Med Schools, or do they do private practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
What to former USUHS Army docs do after they leave the Army and become civilians (Assuming 10+ years post residency)? Are they qualified for associate professor/professor positions at Med Schools, or do they do private practice.

As an Air Force doc who is an ex-LtCol, ex-Assistant Professor at USU, and USU alumnus who left the military after 15 years as a physician, I had no problem finding an excellent civilian private practice position even closer to my home than Andrews was. The hard part is re-sharpening one's saw after one's skills have degraded while completing interminable CBT, answering reams of e-mail per day, and creating Powerpoint dog-and-pony shows for administrators who don't know which end of an endotracheal tube to stick into a patient...or where. It all comes back, however, just like riding a bike.

About a quarter of my private practice group is ex-military. We also employ ex-military CRNAs...with whom I get along splendidly, I must say, because the chain of command is crystal clear in the outside world: Docs are in charge clinically. Period.

--
R

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing (yeah, I know... where have I been for the last 10 years!) so I'm not sure if its proper internet etiquette to post a question on someone else's thread, but here goes...

A little backgroud first: I just got out of the military last December. I was honorably discharged and made the rank of E-5 (2nd class PO). My goal is to become a physician and I would love to be back in the military, so USUHS seems like the place to be. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping any USUHS students/grads could clarify for me.

1) Are you less likely to get accepted if you are married as opposed to single?
2) Do you get BAH and medical for yourself and family?
3) Do they pay your moving expenses?
4) At what point do you start accruing time toward retirement?
5) Will I have a definite choice of which branch I get to join?
6) How often do military physicians PCS?
7) Is there a high-year tenure like there is for enlisted personnel?
Oh yeah, one last question on the prereqs:
1) my degree calls for short calculus and breif o-chem, should I just take the normal calc and o-chem? I probably will anyway, I assume it will help in med school.

I apologize if any of these questions have already been asked, but its 4am and the print is soooo small. I'll do a full review of thread in a few hours when I wake up, so bear with me.:sleep:

Hey guys, I'm new to this whole forum thing (yeah, I know... where have I been for the last 10 years!) so I'm not sure if its proper internet etiquette to post a question on someone else's thread, but here goes...

A little backgroud first: I just got out of the military last December. I was honorably discharged and made the rank of E-5 (2nd class PO). My goal is to become a physician and I would love to be back in the military, so USUHS seems like the place to be. However, I do have a few questions that I was hoping any USUHS students/grads could clarify for me.

1) my degree calls for short calculus and breif o-chem, should I just take the normal calc and o-chem? I probably will anyway, I assume it will help in med school.

I apologize if any of these questions have already been asked, but its 4am and the print is soooo small. I'll do a full review of thread in a few hours when I wake up, so bear with me.:sleep:

This may be considered a total hijacking, and I may get severely flamed and so on. Certainly I hope you have read this forum thoroughly and know what military medicine has turned into. I can understand your prior 10 yrs, and how that may play into your decision, but you can always do that time towards retirement through the reserves, or even active duty, once you have received your training. I just want you to know exactly what you are getting into, and this forum has vast amounts of information for your review. Good luck.

As for your questions: Not sure it matters if you are married or not, not sure about BAH, but likely you will get it to include your spouse. YOu will NOT acrue any time towards retirement while you are at USHUS. You will not acrue time till you start residency training. THey will pay for your move. you have to apply for one of the services of your choice. The retention for physicians is absolutely HORRIBLE. I've just seen it at less than 8%. The multiple reasons can be found on the forum, but in a nutshell, military medicine is absolutely dead.

Good luck

To answer your questions from someone who has been a student at USUHS:

Has no effect, there are ~40% married people at USUHS.

Yes, you will get BAH for an O1 w/ dependents for zip code 20814 since you are married. Don't know exact # but it's over $1500 a month for housing.

Yes, they will pay your moving from your current home of record to the bethesda area.

You start accruing time the day you graduate from USUHS with one caveat: if you make it to 20 you are given the four years at USUHS so you jump from 20 to 24.

You will select which branch is your preference and then go from there. May/may not get it.

Very wide ranging answers. From almost never to every two years.

Yes, but I can't recall the numbers off the top of my head.

Neither of these classes will really help in med school other than the fact to prepare you for a rigorous course, although check into the requirements for USUHS and other schools, they sometimes require a defined amount of time in these type courses.

Hope this helps, as Galo makes note of read the forum and decide if military medicine is for you. If it is then USUHS is a great school to think about. If you're waivering on military medicine then think hard about it before accepting a spot there.

Hey, thanks for the input guys, I appreciate it. And yeah, I'll think about it carefully. I've got a few years to decide.:D

PCS --> Permanent Change of Station. Basically, everytime the military tells you to move.

I have an interview coming up at USUHS, can anyone who has interviewed there give me an idea of the format and/or questions they ask. Thanks -Rob.

I have an interview coming up at USUHS, can anyone who has interviewed there give me an idea of the format and/or questions they ask. Thanks -Rob.

From what I remember, the morning is filled with one powerpoint presentation after another extolling the virtues of the school and military medicine. After that there is a tour of the facility usually by a first or second year student. Then lunch in the cafeteria, bring your own money, nothing is furnished for you. After that you go the library (LRC) where you will have your interviews. It can either be from someone with military medicine experience (one of mine was a Lt.Col from the Marine Corp) or from one of the fourth year students.

Expect questions like, "Why USUHS?" "Why do you want to join the military?" Other standard interview type questions such as, "What is your greatest strength?", "What will you bring to our institution?", "What is your biggest weakness?"

Another good one might be, "Tell me what you expect your life as a military physician to be like."

Good luck with your interview.

The above post is mostly correct. They do now cover your with a lunch with a vouncher for up to $6 - but bring extra cash for anything additional.

After/during interviews there is an open door session for you to go around and talk to inidividuals on specific topics. I found this to be particularly helpful and frank discussions of pros and cons. You'll also see LOTS of current students milling about smartly in the little downstairs office area where the pool table is. They are just WAITING for you to ask a question.

Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
The above post is mostly correct. They do now cover your with a lunch with a vouncher for up to $6 - but bring extra cash for anything additional.

After/during interviews there is an open door session for you to go around and talk to inidividuals on specific topics. I found this to be particularly helpful and frank discussions of pros and cons. You'll also see LOTS of current students milling about smartly in the little downstairs office area where the pool table is. They are just WAITING for you to ask a question.

Good luck!!

The voucher more than covered lunch at USUHS. In the time off between the interviews (where they ask the predictable med school questions and ask what you're nervous about with respect to USUHS) you have to go to the security office and make sure all of your paperwork is squared away, then you get time to yourself. I didn't talk to any students, but did talk to the Navy brigade commander, who was very helpful (I wasn't sure Army or Navy when I showed up).
If you have any other questions you cna PM me...

I don't mean to be a "stereotypical conservative" military bigot but just the fact that you would even write that about the military means that the military isn't the place for you. Take out your student loans and go to a civilian school, you'll make more money in the long run anyway.

Hey,
I have been reading all of the Military Medicine threads, and I have a couple of questions. First of all, here's my background: I graduated from college in 2005, have been doing research since then, and have my USUHS interview next week. I'm relatively liberal, went to a liberal undergrad, and am a bit nervous about the stereotypical conservative politics of them military (don't want to be told what to do by a bigot with two bars on his shoulder instead of one).
I think I'm most interested in either the Army or Navy, but I'm not really sure. I know I want to do surgery, and I know I want to do a fellowship after residency. Will it be easier to get a good general surgery residency in the Army of the Navy? Will either branch/both of them let me do a civilian fellowship (Trauma/Critical Care or Cardio-Thorasic or Vascular) after residency, or are there military specialties? What are the "average" deployment schedules for the branches like (how much time "away" and how often)? What are the other questions I should be asking? To the young USUHS grads w/o previous military service, would you go back?
Any help would be much appreciated...

I don't mean to be a "stereotypical conservative" military bigot but just the fact that you would even write that about the military means that the military isn't the place for you.

Or that surgery isn't for you (that poster, that is).

(don't want to be told what to do by a bigot with two bars on his shoulder instead of one).
Remove the words "bars on his shoulder" and replace them with "years of residency". Surgery is certainly a hierarchal specialty, but most other fields of medicine are to some extent also, and I would submit that the problem isn't the fact that the poster is too "liberal", but that he is too naieve and will run into the same problems wherever in life he winds up.

Communes in Northern California excepted....

G'day all,

I am an Australian military med student looking at going to USUHS to do Op Bushmaster. Can anyone give me the lowdown on what its all about, is it worth doing, etc?

Thanks in advance

Aussie Joe

Basically Bushmaster is a month long rotation scheduled for July this year I believe. The first three weeks or so are spent in a classroom setting sitting through hour after hour of powerpoint presentations. I thought most of the material was not necessary so I did not like this portion. The last portion is the actual field exercise.

For the field exercise the entire group is split into two groups and then each of those groups is broken down into three platoons. The two groups are split so that one group is in the field while the other has some time off in DC. The group is flown up to Pennsylvania in helicopters and then the field exercise starts. The first day or two is orientation and set-up and then there are three days of the actual exercise. Each day is broken into three (maybe four, can't remember) blocks and each block assignments are rotated. There will be someone assigned as CO, XO, Radio Operator, Surgeon, and Ambulance Team Leader and those are graded positions.

The bad part for the foreign military participants: Because y'all are not graded on the rotation as USUHS students are they don't put you in the graded positions so you end up getting stuck in all the "bad" positions that aren't really that fun. You end up carrying patients on litters or doing security or other tasks such as that.

Hello everyone; I'm new to this forum (and most forums in general), so please excuse any serious breaches of etiquette. First, a little background:

I'm a 23-year old graduate student half-way through my MPH degree in epidemiology. I took all the pre-med courses in college in case I DID decide on medical school, but I didn't make the decision for certain until this year. I am taking the new CBT MCAT on July 13th, and I plan on applying to USUHS as my #1 choice for Fall 2008. I have no prior military experience, but I was awarded a NROTC scholarship to Vanderbilt my senior year of HS but was medically disqualified due to colorblindness. I've known my entire life a career in military research or medicine was in my future, and I'm determined to make it happen now.

The problem right now is that I'm overweight. In high school I was a defensive end on the football time, so I was a big guy in general. I got flagged during my NROTC exam as "overweight" because I weighed about 230 (I'm 6'4"). I immediately dropped down to about 207 before getting weighed by the Navy again, but the techs at the test station told me that wasn't necessary...if you have a large % muscle mass, they just do body fat composition. I passed easily.

That all changed in college...I stopped playing sports and gained quite a bit of weight. I'm not even sure how much I weigh now, but I've been running/working out for a few weeks now as well as dieting. I'm well on my way to getting back to "playing weight," but I'm concerned I won't make it on time. When does USUHS require you to get your physical examination? I'm 100% sure I can be in ship-shape by the end of this winter.

I'd appreciate any thoughts along these lines you guys have to offer. I'm very happy to be a part of this very helpful forum; and I look forward to receiving (and perhaps giving one day) more great information.

If you get offered an interview at USUHS, you will be contacted by Concorde (company that is contracted to do all the logistics for physicals and eye exams). I submitted my AMCAS on June 5 (first day I could), had my USUHS interview Sept 28th (first interview of their season), and had my physical a couple of weeks after that. If you don't pass your physical I think you can request a waiver (it is all reason dependent, but I got a waiver for something the handbook says isn't waiverable, so anything can happen), and that process takes FOREVER. Since you'll probably have to go through it with your colorblindness (I know two USUHS students who are colorblind, one got pulled through the DoDMERB ringer before getting a waiver and the other got a waiver no questions asked) I would suggest just losing the weight (USUHS publishes height/weight requirements for the services) before you physical and not having to worry about it. Yes, easier said than done, but if you're going to have to do it anyway, just do it right now...

If you get offered an interview at USUHS, you will be contacted by Concorde (company that is contracted to do all the logistics for physicals and eye exams). I submitted my AMCAS on June 5 (first day I could), had my USUHS interview Sept 28th (first interview of their season), and had my physical a couple of weeks after that. If you don't pass your physical I think you can request a waiver (it is all reason dependent, but I got a waiver for something the handbook says isn't waiverable, so anything can happen), and that process takes FOREVER. Since you'll probably have to go through it with your colorblindness (I know two USUHS students who are colorblind, one got pulled through the DoDMERB ringer before getting a waiver and the other got a waiver no questions asked) I would suggest just losing the weight (USUHS publishes height/weight requirements for the services) before you physical and not having to worry about it. Yes, easier said than done, but if you're going to have to do it anyway, just do it right now...

Thanks for the very straightforward advice, Bobcat. Yeah, "Concorde" certainly does ring a bell from the process I went through with the Navy in high school, and I remember what a pain in the ass the whole process was. From what I gather the Navy is the only service that has such a big problem with colorblindness, and I intend to rank Army as my preference when I get the chance.

Since you made it to the physical exam, I take it you were accepted? I how soon after your interview did you receive your "conditional acceptance," and what service are you in? I plan on submitting my AMCAS as early as possible, too (this year it's available in early May), but since my MCAT score won't be reported until early August I guess I wouldn't be asked to interview as soon as you were.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Can someone explain exactly what this means (USUHS service obligation):

7 years Active Duty after graduate medical education, remainder to 14 years served in the Individual Ready Reserve. GME-1 and GME2+ does not relieve obligation; GME2+ incurs additional obligation, but served concurrently with residual USUHS obligation.

I'd like some clarification especially on the part about how "GME2+ does not relieve obligation." What do they mean by "residual USUHS obligation"? This is from a comparison of USUHS and HPSP service obligations on the military medicine interest group at the AMSA website. Here is the hyperlink to the document:

http://www.amsa.org/military/USUHS_HPSPcomparison.doc

Can someone explain exactly what this means (USUHS service obligation):

7 years Active Duty after graduate medical education, remainder to 14 years served in the Individual Ready Reserve. GME-1 and GME2+ does not relieve obligation; GME2+ incurs additional obligation, but served concurrently with residual USUHS obligation.

I'd like some clarification especially on the part about how "GME2+ does not relieve obligation." What do they mean by "residual USUHS obligation"? This is from a comparison of USUHS and HPSP service obligations on the military medicine interest group at the AMSA website. Here is the hyperlink to the document:

http://www.amsa.org/military/USUHS_HPSPcomparison.doc

GME2+ is residency. Time spent as a resident does not count towards payback. "Residual USUHS obligation" refers to any payback time left after a GMO tour. One postgrad path might look like:

Graduate from USUHS - owe 7 years USUHS time
Internship year (GME1) done - still owe 7 years USUHS time
Out for a GMO tour x2 years - now owe 5 years USUHS time
Back for residency (GME2+) for 3 years - afterwards, still owe 5 years "residual USUHS obligation", plus 3 years residency "additional obligation"

At this point you owe 5 years active duty payback (not 8), because the USUHS time and residency obligation are paid back concurrently.

Internship year (GME1) done - still owe 7 years USUHS time
Out for a GMO tour x2 years - now owe 5 years USUHS time
Back for residency (GME2+) for 3 years - afterwards, still owe 5 years "residual USUHS obligation", plus 3 years residency "additional obligation"

At this point you owe 5 years active duty payback (not 8), because the USUHS time and residency obligation are paid back concurrently.

Ahh...ok that sounds about right now; I wasn't quite sure what that meant at first.

So would this scenario work as well?
Internship year (GME1) done - still owe 7 years
NO GMO TOUR (ARMY) - still owe 7 years
Back for residency (GME2+) for 5 years - afterwards, still owe 7 years
Residual USUHS obligation, plus 5 years residency - STILL EQUALS 7 YEARS

That's a feasible route for an Army student, right?

So would this scenario work as well?
Internship year (GME1) done - still owe 7 years
NO GMO TOUR (ARMY) - still owe 7 years
Back for residency (GME2+) for 5 years - afterwards, still owe 7 years
Residual USUHS obligation, plus 5 years residency - STILL EQUALS 7 YEARS

That's a feasible route for an Army student, right?

Yes.

I apologize if this issue has been addressed elsewhere.

I'm a civilian grad student applying to USUHS for Fall '08. I have a serious girlfriend who is moving to Birmingham (where I currently reside) to be closer to me after she graduates from college in May. She will be starting a master's program here which will keep her in Birmingham until Spring 2009. Needless to say, me picking up and moving to Bethesda just a year after she moved here to be with me would kind of piss her off. I'm considering the prospect of deferring my matriculation a year so she can move with me.

According to US News and World Report's Best Grad Schools 2008, USUHS does consider requests for deferred entrance. However, I realize they probably grant deferrals based on different reasons.

Has anyone who has attended USUHS done so after requesting a deferral? If so, what was your reason? Does anyone know what reasons USUHS is willing to consider for deferring entrance to the school?

I'm most appreciative of any information you can post.

at one point I was considering deferring for a few reasons and emailed the USUHS admissions staff and got no reply. I'm not sure if they just don't want to talk about it or didn't get my email. Either way, I'm going now.

According to US News and World Report's Best Grad Schools 2008, USUHS does consider requests for deferred entrance. However, I realize they probably grant deferrals based on different reasons.

Has anyone who has attended USUHS done so after requesting a deferral? If so, what was your reason? Does anyone know what reasons USUHS is willing to consider for deferring entrance to the school?

[...]

No one knows anything about this?

When I applied, ~10 years ago, I'm pretty sure they didn't grant deferred admissions. Their policy was to require a new application for the following cycle.

I don't see anything on the usuhs.mil web site addressing this now. Call the admissions office and ask. 1-800-772-1743

I posted on the USU 2011 site as well but I'm a current MS1, prior AF officer as well as prior drug rep, and if you have any questions feel free to PM me or e-mail me at [email protected]

USU was my top choice and I love the school, my classmates, and the staff is great...I doubt too many schools have the Surgeon General stop by at lunchtime to talk at their preventative medicine interest group :)

The military isn't for everyone, but I love it and hope you all get into the schools you want!! Best of Luck!

I apologize if this issue has been addressed elsewhere.

I'm a civilian grad student applying to USUHS for Fall '08. I have a serious girlfriend who is moving to Birmingham (where I currently reside) to be closer to me after she graduates from college in May. She will be starting a master's program here which will keep her in Birmingham until Spring 2009. Needless to say, me picking up and moving to Bethesda just a year after she moved here to be with me would kind of piss her off. I'm considering the prospect of deferring my matriculation a year so she can move with me.

Hi, sorry for being AWOL, I just saw your question this morning.

I am absolutely positive that they allow deferred admissions. When I applied in 2004 I was pregnant, and they offered me a deferment, though I had already planned to start with an infant. There was another woman in the same position applying at the same time who chose to take the deferrment, and then started a year behind me. It absolutely can be done. Once you get your acceptance call the admissions office and ask for Joan Stearman: she is the nicest woman ever, and she runs the department (i.e. will make the final decision to defer). If she isn't there, request to leave a message on her voicemail, and she will definitely call you back. There really isn't any reason why they should have a problem with it.

And for all in general: NEVER email an admissions office unless they specifically tell you to do so. Being passive is bad form. ALWAYS call: it shows interest and inititative, as well as gives you a chance to be a "real person" to them.

Good Luck!

First of all, I apologize for making the majority (if not all) of my appearances on the USUHS in the form of questions. I'm still relatively unexperienced in medicine, and even more so in military medicine. That said, I greatly appreciate all the thoughtful advice everyone has given me.

OK, so I'm in the process of drafting a personal statement for the AMCAS. I know everyone's essay is unique to their personal experiences, and I know the AMCAS essay is supposed convey your enthusiasm for medicine in general. However, I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing any aspects or angles to their AMCAS personal statement that they feel helped them in the initial stages of the application process with USUHS. Did you mention your intended career in military medicine at all? If so, what did you say about it?

Anything along these lines would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm a good candidate for USUHS, but because I'm not taking the MCAT until July and I only have a middle-of-the-road GPA, I'd like my personal statement to pack a big punch.

I would recommend keeping your AMCAS PS very centered on medicine in general, your motivations and experiences. Save any military stuff for your secondary. Just my own advice take it or leave it :)

PM me if you want me to email you a copy of my PS and secondary statement to get an idea of what I am talking about.

I also tried to keep the military-specific info in my secondary, but I did make sure to address general qualities (such as leadership) that are useful at any school, but particularly USUHS.

My AMCAS PS focused only on medicine in general, it was only my USUHS PS that talked about military medicine. Think about it this way: you are applying to one military medical school and a lot of civilian medical schools. You're USUHS statement is the time to talk about why you're interested in doing MilMed, not your AMCAS PS.

First of all, I apologize for making the majority (if not all) of my appearances on the USUHS in the form of questions. I'm still relatively unexperienced in medicine, and even more so in military medicine. That said, I greatly appreciate all the thoughtful advice everyone has given me.

OK, so I'm in the process of drafting a personal statement for the AMCAS. I know everyone's essay is unique to their personal experiences, and I know the AMCAS essay is supposed convey your enthusiasm for medicine in general. However, I was wondering if anyone would mind sharing any aspects or angles to their AMCAS personal statement that they feel helped them in the initial stages of the application process with USUHS. Did you mention your intended career in military medicine at all? If so, what did you say about it?

Anything along these lines would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I'm a good candidate for USUHS, but because I'm not taking the MCAT until July and I only have a middle-of-the-road GPA, I'd like my personal statement to pack a big punch.

I agree that you should leave the military out of your AMCAS statement. Even if you had prior service time and were talking of military experiences, I would phrase them in a civilian manner; eg. instead of a "Navy MH-53E Power Plants Division Officer", I would describe my job as "supervisor of 20 workers servicing and maintaining state-of-the-art aircraft engines"

Also, Instead of just focusing on your dreams and interest in medicine, I would focus on your personal past history and specific examples of how they helped form your current dreams or provide a way to fulfill your dreams. If you have research in your background, talk about it. If you had no medicine in your background (like me), talk about something that makes you unique (painted curbs, community service at a daycare in high school).

Let other people read and comment on personal statement. Make sure you read others' personal statements too (preferably those who got in or are expected to get in), to get an idea of what to write.

Good luck
USUHS 2008

Contrary to all of the most recent recommendations you have been receiving, I actually did talk about my dedication to military medicine in my AMCAS statement. I think it helped because it demonstrated that I had a clearly defined goal and motivation for pursuing medicine as a career change. I applied to and was accepted by some pretty liberal schools, so I don't think any reference to serving in the military beyond med school is an application killer.

This is just one experience, though, so take that for what it is worth.

Best of luck to you LumberJack.

Contrary to all of the most recent recommendations you have been receiving, I actually did talk about my dedication to military medicine in my AMCAS statement. I think it helped because it demonstrated that I had a clearly defined goal and motivation for pursuing medicine as a career change. I applied to and was accepted by some pretty liberal schools, so I don't think any reference to serving in the military beyond med school is an application killer.

This is just one experience, though, so take that for what it is worth.

Best of luck to you LumberJack.

I think this is a very good point, but Bubblehead is also a USNA grad. If you're (in my case) non-prior it might come off to the non-USUHS schools that maybe you don't know what you're talking about since you've never been in the military (similar to writing about how you want to be a neurosurgeon because you like Mc. Dreamy...). If you've got a good angle (were in the military, want to treat soldiers...) it could work, but I would think its riskier than your average personal statement.

I think this is a very good point, but Bubblehead is also a USNA grad. If you're (in my case) non-prior it might come off to the non-USUHS schools that maybe you don't know what you're talking about since you've never been in the military (similar to writing about how you want to be a neurosurgeon because you like Mc. Dreamy...). If you've got a good angle (were in the military, want to treat soldiers...) it could work, but I would think its riskier than your average personal statement.

True! If your application itself does not demonstrate the relevance of military medicine (almost all of the work & activities section of my AMCAS app was military in nature), you would definitely have to provide a basis for your desire to practice military medicine (i.e. you were a military brat, JROTC, volunteered at a VA hospital, you've always wanted to serve/deploy, etc.) within your personal statement. Otherwise, the people reviewing the app will have doubts about or question how much thought you have truly given that path.

So I was in a similar situation as you: taking the MCATs in July, with my heart set on USU. I had no military background whatsoever, but I did mention my desire for a military career in my primary personal statement. I literally got an interview at USUHS the day my MCAT score was sent, and knew I was in by Christmas. I also got into the University of Maryland, John's Hopkins and Georgetown, so it didn't hurt me from getting into other schools. I do think it helped put me at the top of the stack for USUHS as soon as my packet arrived to them, though. I seriously doubt they would have called me so eagerly if I hadn't said anything in my primary statement.

And no, I wasn't a perfect candidate with my C- in chemistry, 3.6ish GPA, and 30 MCAT score, so there is hope, especially if you've done some cool things that make you a non-typical applicant.

So if you feel that putting the military in your personal statement is right, do it. If not, don't. The whole point of a personal statement is to let them get to know you, whatever you decide that means. None of this "working the angles" scheme. Just put yourself on paper, and if the military belongs there, then it will show up.

So I was in a similar situation as you: taking the MCATs in July, with my heart set on USU. I had no military background whatsoever, but I did mention my desire for a military career in my primary personal statement. I literally got an interview at USUHS the day my MCAT score was sent, and knew I was in by Christmas. I also got into the University of Maryland, John's Hopkins and Georgetown, so it didn't hurt me from getting into other schools. I do think it helped put me at the top of the stack for USUHS as soon as my packet arrived to them, though. I seriously doubt they would have called me so eagerly if I hadn't said anything in my primary statement.

And no, I wasn't a perfect candidate with my C- in chemistry, 3.6ish GPA, and 30 MCAT score, so there is hope, especially if you've done some cool things that make you a non-typical applicant.

So if you feel that putting the military in your personal statement is right, do it. If not, don't. The whole point of a personal statement is to let them get to know you, whatever you decide that means. None of this "working the angles" scheme. Just put yourself on paper, and if the military belongs there, then it will show up.

Excellent recommendation!

I have to disagree with this (and, for disclosure, I went to USU, it was my first choice, etc). The world has changed in the last few years. If going to USU is sufficiently important that you are willing to potentially harm your chances of going to other schools, then make military medicine part of your PS, otherwise hold off and put it in the secondary. You'll still get in to USU if you would have otherwise and there is no reason to risk it. BTW, if you put your intention to serve in your PS, be sure you've read the GMTO ethics articles because you can expect questions about your views on force feeding and other similar practices.

I have to disagree with this (and, for disclosure, I went to USU, it was my first choice, etc). The world has changed in the last few years. If going to USU is sufficiently important that you are willing to potentially harm your chances of going to other schools, then make military medicine part of your PS, otherwise hold off and put it in the secondary. You'll still get in to USU if you would have otherwise and there is no reason to risk it. BTW, if you put your intention to serve in your PS, be sure you've read the GMTO ethics articles because you can expect questions about your views on force feeding and other similar practices.

Again, I applied this year, and specifically addressed my intent to practice medicine within the military. I don't think the world has changed THAT much! Besides, just because people may disagree with the policies of the Commander-in-Chief, that does not necessarily mean that they are against the military.

just because people may disagree with the policies of the Commander-in-Chief, that does not necessarily mean that they are against the military.

I have found this to be very true. I know many people who strongly disagree with the President's policies but absolutely love the military and those who serve in it.

Hello,

My dream is to serve as a doctor/surgeon in the United States military. I plan on serving for as long as I breathe. I really, really, really love the military. Their rules, obedience to authority, and orders by the book is to me the best thing there is. No greater honor and privilege for me but to serve my country.

Because it is still a dream, I don't know if I can apply. I am a U.S. resident, not a citizen. You are pre-screened for officer standing before matriculating. Can anyone here let me know if U.S. residents can/cannot apply? Also is there a waiver for this?

Best regards.

I just read from the website. If I can become a citizen by November 1 of the year before entering, my file will reactivate. Also, because each matriculant will be commissioned as an officer, all incoming medical students must be U.S. citizens. And the school of medicine deserves to know that the men serving have complete allegiance to this country alone. Maybe I can try to apply and see what happens. I have been a U.S. resident past five years (waiting time).

Always faithful. Let's hope the best and the interests of the U.S.

I find this a surprising response: all other schools have HPSP students and are very aware that going to "Big State School" does not preclude a career in the military. I applied in 2003/2004, during which the political/war scene was basically the same. Several civilian interviewers at other schools mentioned to me that my desire to serve in the military was noble, and moved on. No one said anything else, no school rejected me but Yale, which I only applied to as a "what if" school with Hopkins. I believe it helped reinforce my credibility towards public service, but again, only because it was sincere.

The admissions director at a certain top tier med school told me they are biased against those going into HPSP and try to talk any student serious about their school out of it. Why? The school is top tier because it has so many options for research, global health, years out, extra degrees, etc etc etc. They want all their students to get involved with these things. The military will not allow you to delay your residency and they don't give you summers to persue other interests. Essentially, the HPSP precludes students from getting the unique parts of the medical school, so why should the medical school take them?

The school still does put out HPSP med students, but it's only because admissions didn't know about it until the person was already accepted.

The admissions director at a certain top tier med school told me they are biased against those going into HPSP and try to talk any student serious about their school out of it. Why? The school is top tier because it has so many options for research, global health, years out, extra degrees, etc etc etc. They want all their students to get involved with these things. The military will not allow you to delay your residency and they don't give you summers to persue other interests. Essentially, the HPSP precludes students from getting the unique parts of the medical school, so why should the medical school take them?

The school still does put out HPSP med students, but it's only because admissions didn't know about it until the person was already accepted.

Well, there you go! I do think that ultimately you choose your school as much as they choose you. I rejected the "top tier" schools because of ideology, and it seems appropriate that they just might reject students for the same reasons.

I could never have afforded to take them up on what makes them special, am not interested in taking time off, doing research on a measly stipend while supporting my family and racking up mounds of debt, etc. I will get my MPH and do lots of research some day, but I think that we should master the basics of doctoring first. I'm still working on pinpointing "that heart murmur," so why would I be already trying to cure cancer? I'll get there when I get there.

If you agree with this mentality, USUHS just might be a better fit than the "best" school that accepts you. If not, please don't come. You will probably be better served elsewhere, though there are some students who do clinical research here, and NIH is literally across the street: if I had wanted I could have worked on any number of projects. I'm already a published author in a peer-reviewed journal, so I didn't need the extra points for the match, and felt my time would be better spent elsewhere.

like Bubblehead, I was a bubblehead and canoe U grad. I applied to USUHS (and some other schools) my first year, very late. I interviewed, liked the school, and was waitlisted (I like to think because I interviewed so late). I know specifically what hurt me was like of any clinical experience. So my advice for their application is explain why your clinical experience helped reinforce your desire to go into medicine, or prepared you for something (cadaveors) that you weren't aware of and isn't going to be a problem now. If you don't have clinical experience, you better have a good excuse, like you were locked up in a 300 ft steel pipe for the last couple of years.

I applied my second year and turned down my interview because I was already accepted at another school, and didn't want to take any more time off work to go interviewing. Also my song and dance about clinical work wasn't all that much better than the year before, and I knew it.

Would I recommend USUHS, yes, but the commitment didn't scare me.

As far as the stuck up attitude of the "top tier" schools, nothing says you have to disclose to them that you are planning on doing HPSP. If you really want to go there, you know what they want to hear. I guess you need to ask yourself, do you want to be surrounded for four years by 150 other people who believe that research is fundamentally important. I don't, and happen to start doing some tomorrow by stroke of luck. I picked a school that I thought would prepare me to be a good doctor who could talk to patients, not lab rats. That's one reason I liked USUHS, they seemed to be extremely focused on being a practicing physician, not a paper generator.