USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! What were your practice test scores like?

Sent from my XT1585 using SDN mobile

NBME 4 was 6 or so weeks out - 238
NBME 6 was 2 weeks out - 241
NBME 7, 1 week out - 230 **Sad face**
UWSA 1, 1 week out - 251
Uworld first pass was around 67-68% using it for shelves and everything, 2nd pass was 84%

I saved all the biostats for two days right before my exam, did them all on tutored mode and that was more than enough. I was completely comfortable with biostats on the exam. During the couple days leading up to my exam I watched all of the OME videos for my two weakest sections (OB/GYN and Peds), then read through those sections in FA. The day right before I read through the FA rapid review section and that was it. Subsequently, OB/GYN and Peds were my two highest scoring sections on the real deal.

Walked out of the exam completely unsure of what happened or how it went so I'm pleasantly surprised and very happy with my score.

Reactions: 1 users
I took mine on the 13th too and this is exactly how I felt. It was so disheartening and I'm still plagued by some questions that I made dumb mistakes on :nailbiting:
Oh I know, I felt so disappointed afterwards. All that hard work and preparation and I just didn't feel like it was fair. I had some really bizarre questions, even a marketing type of question that I had no idea. when do you think we will get results?

Reactions: 1 user
Finally done. I probably won't remember all this by the time I get my score so I'll post this now. First off, I can't really tell how I did either way. For a majority of the questions I got a vague idea of what was going on but there were a couple I just had no clue. Also, a majority of the questions had 2 possibly correct options leaving you to sieve through the vignette again and again looking for some tiny detail to differentiate the two. I always kept an eye on the clock because although I'm a fast reader/test taker this time around I was fighting for 10 minutes (in a few blocks) to review my answered marked. Most of the tested topics had shown up at some point on uworld and the UWSAs.

Like someone mentioned on this thread some of the questions didn't seem fair like, um I'm a 3rd year how am I supposed to answer this? Another thing that amused me, some questions were total gimmes while others they just found a way to twist so that you're not really sure (easy diagnosis) if what you first thought is still correct. Very stingy with labs and gosh I am ranting like hell. Ok moving on...

I did the first four blocks before taking my first break, I later took another break after my 7th block. I had 40 minutes of break time left which the proctor at the Prometric center swore she'd never seen before (again I don't know if I hit a 220 or 260, all I care about right now is food). Marked per block varied from 2-4. I would say the exam was more "difficult" than uworld but easier than NBME 7? I hope? But then again I never really got the feeling like gosh this is hard or like in Step 1, gosh this is easy, so idk. It felt like the comp NBME.

Study materials-Uworld, UWSAs and NBMEs. Dedicated 2 weeks into completing a second pass through uworld, my first pass was during my first two clerkships. Aaaand congrats to those who got their scores today, the agony of uncertainty is over...

so my experience
first I want to thank all members od SDN as I found this site very inspiring.
IMG from India YOG 2017 may.
Time taken to prepare 4- 5 months including a month for step 2 cs as well as 2 electives in Emory University
FA and UWorld
NBME 7 10 days b4 exam 241
uwsa1 261 uwsa2 259 2 days b4 exam
Exam was terrifying wtf. wasn't sure id pass. Seriously I don't know how people manage to complete the blocks I wasn't able to complete any block in time.Left around 3 qts made around 10 mistakes. As of now still can't find the answers for around 20qts that I remember from exam
good luck everyone
final deal step 2 ck 260

Last edited:
Oh I know, I felt so disappointed afterwards. All that hard work and preparation and I just didn't feel like it was fair. I had some really bizarre questions, even a marketing type of question that I had no idea. when do you think we will get results?

I'm hoping for 6/28 but I think it may actually be 7/12 :unsure: I read on their website that they don't release scores the week of 4th of July.

Members don't see this ad :)
NBME 4 217 (4 months out)
NBME 6 239 (3 weeks out)
NBME 7 233 (1 week out)
Step 2 CK: 250

UWorld 1st Pass: 65% (Tutor mode, subject by subject, throughout 3rd year)
UWorld 2nd Pass: 88% (Subject by subject, timed, however went through all of peds + Obgyn just prior to resetting)

Total dedicated study time: 5 weeks
Watched all OME videos.
Went through UWorld 2nd time.
Went through Case Files Obgyn.

During 3rd year:
All of Brosencephalon's clerkship cards except Psych.
Went through UWorld 1x.
Listened to all of Pestana's.

Post-exam: Felt that it was very difficult in terms of seeing a number of questions that either had answer choices that I did not recognize or I was not sure what exactly they were looking for. I was 50/50 on many questions. Thought it felt very much like the NBME's (although I did not take any of the UWSA's). Time was not really an issue, but I was marking more than I usually do (25-30/block), however I mark any question I'm not 100% sure on so I normally mark ~half of all questions. Counted about 12-20 questions I was sure I got wrong after checking the interwebz. Obviously happy with the way things turned out!

Just took mine today, can't really tell what happened lots of 50/50 questions. I just hope i match my practice test or do better. Questions resemble UWSA. just happy to be done.

NBME 6 239 (3 weeks out)
NBME 7 233 (1 week out)

UWorld 2nd Pass: 88% (Subject by subject, timed, however went through all of peds + Obgyn just prior to resetting)

Watched all OME videos.

During 3rd year:
Went through UWorld 1x.

Post-exam: Felt that it was very difficult in terms of seeing a number of questions that either had answer choices that I did not recognize or I was not sure what exactly they were looking for. I was 50/50 on many questions. Thought it felt very much like the NBME's (although I did not take any of the UWSA's). Time was not really an issue, but I was marking more than I usually do (25-30/block), however I mark any question I'm not 100% sure on so I normally mark ~half of all questions. Counted about 12-20 questions I was sure I got wrong after checking the interwebz. Obviously happy with the way things turned out!
Any reason you didn't take UWSAs?

Curious as to how/what you studied between USWA1 from one week out and test day. Thanks

Just rewatched a bunch of kaplan videos and reviewed MTB, multiple sets of 40 random UWorld Q's, read step 2 CK secrets before going to bed, reviewed the rapid review pages from First Aid step 1 and step 2 CK, and kept the rest of my schedule normal - working out and seeing patients on a 4th year elective!

NBME 6 239 (3 weeks out)
NBME 7 233 (1 week out)

Watched all OME videos.

During 3rd year:
Went through UWorld 1x.

I took mine today and I currently am just hoping to pass. I generally only marked up 5-10 on any UWorld block or UWSA/NBME and would leave 1-2 unanswered so I knew to focus hard on those first before other marked. I marked up 15-20 and left 4-6 unanswered per block on the real deal today. And the ones I marked up felt like at best 50/50, sometimes it was 3 or 4 possibilities. I also tended to hit 10 minutes left and still have 5 or more questions to go, so I never got to actually in depth review the marked like I wanted. Never had time issues on NBME/UWSA or any individual UW block.

In hindsight, things I wish I had done: Read through all of First Aid for Step 2. Reread FA for Step 1 Micro or sketchymicro notes, also maybe reviewed Pathoma for certain subjects.

Things I wish I hadn't done: Redone OME during dedicated. I watched most of the videos at 2x speed and reviewed my notes as I went. OME does diagnosis and treatment phenomenally well. My test focused HEAVILY on underlying mechanisms or "pick the most common ______", _____ could be complication, physical exam finding, etc. And the list of most commons seemed to be the bottom of the laundry lists you find in Harrison's. I knew my weakness was mechanisms and all of the complication/follow up stuff but I didn't review it. And now I'm kicking myself for that lol...

Last edited:
I got my scores today too.

I don't post real scores....never had on the forum but I was very pleasantly surprised. My feelings after the exam and during my waiting period did not reflect how I actually did on the exam.

NBME 4: 224 ~4 weeks out
UWSA 2: 237 6 days out

Real score: way better than I thought. I had a pretty low step 1 score so I'm happy I was able to turn it around.

I don't post real scores....never had on the forum but I was very pleasantly surprised. My feelings after the exam and during my waiting period did not reflect how I actually did on the exam.

Real score: way better than I thought. I had a pretty low step 1 score so I'm happy I was able to turn it around.

Did you better than both of your practice scores?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

You can give a range... That's what I did for step1.

Last edited:
You can give a range... That's how I did for step1.
I guess I feel comfortable doing that. My real score was somewhere between 240-255

Did you better than both of your practice scores?

I did which I surprised me. My step 1 real score was way lower than my practice score. I was scoring around 240 and then my real one was sub 220. I was afraid that this would turn out to be the same story.

Just got my score, and I'm shocked (in the greatest possible way) to say the least!

My step 1 score was < 1 SD of the mean, so I definitely needed to do well in Step 2. Also, for those who just recently took it, I felt like absolute crap after the exam and was just hoping I scored well enough to get a 240+, so my feelings definitely didn't correlate with my score.

STEP 1: <1 STD below average :(
NBME 4: 215 ~ 3 weeks out (I also only got 33 q's or so wrong, so not sure why pred was so low)
UWSA 1: 237 ~ 2 weeks out
NBME 6: 250 1 week out

Got a 259 on the real deal.

Best advice is to believe in yourself and really make sure you understand the core concepts. I didnt know the answer to a lot of the questions, but I just tried to use logic to eliminate answers. I have also learned to not spend more than 70secs on a question. Most valuable resources: UWORLD & OnlineMedEd! Good luck to you all

Reactions: 5 users
If you take the test on a Monday or Tuesday, result comes in 3 weeks. If you take it on a Wednesday to Saturday, the result comes in 4 weeks. It's basically on the Wednesday after 21 days have passed since your test, with a week added if there is an ECFMG holiday or something.

If you take the test on a Monday or Tuesday, result comes in 3 weeks. If you take it on a Wednesday to Saturday, the result comes in 4 weeks. It's basically on the Wednesday after 21 days have passed since your test, with a week added if there is an ECFMG holiday or something.

Other way around. Monday to Wednesday comes on the 4th Wednesday. Thursday to Saturday comes on the 3rd Wednesday.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

My test is July 1st. I was wondering if its worth taking the other NBME or should I just do UWSA

Last edited:
Already posted this on another thread, but I felt like it was more appropriate to put here:

I walked out of this exam feeling incredibly despondent, no where near as comfortable as I did with Step 1 (and I didn't feel that great after Step 1 to begin with). I felt confident and prepared for maybe 60-80 questions on my Step 2 CK. I repeat, I felt prepared for 60-80 questions at most. That's it. My answers to the rest of the 250 or so questions felt at best like quasi-educated speculation, and at worst, like frank shots in the dark. I also had far more "WTF is this?" type questions on this exam than I had on Step 1 as well, inquiring about fringe concepts, esoteric diseases, incredibly specific treatments, or challenging ethical dilemmas with resolutions that all seemed superficially appropriate and plausible.

Again, Step 2 CK isn't so much about knowing definitive facts as it is apprehending the appropriate clinical approach. If you're someone like me who thinks concretely and thrives on trivia-like tidbits and associations, this makes things somewhat unsettling because you don't have the same strength of your convictions. On Step 1, sometimes you just know the answer because you just know the answer. The prompt mentions something about a dihydrorhodamine (DHR) flow cytometry test? The answer must be Chronic Granulomatous Disease. You see a pathology picture of dumbbell-shaped ferruginous bodies in the lung? The answer must be asbestosis. You just don't see that type of stuff very often on Step 2. I also felt that the resources available for Step 2 aren't quite at the same level as they are for Step 1. First Aid is a great example of this. It's an absolutely essential resource for Step 1, but for Step 2, I found it lacking in many regards.

For the record, I scored 250+ on Step 1, and my main goal was to at least beat that score for Step 2. My study strategy this time around was a full, careful pass of UWorld one time with the UWorld self-assessments and all Step 2 NBME's completed before the week prior to the exam. All of my practice exams for Step 2 CK had me scoring in the high 260's, which put me at ease somewhat, because I acutely felt my grasp of the material was for more tenuous than it had been for Step 1.

As I said, I walked out of the real thing feeling terrible. In the ensuing hours after the exam, all of the questions I was unsure about came bubbling up from my subconscious, and upon reflection, I realized that I got most of them wrong. There were at least 20 questions that I could recall being unsure of; that's not counting the questions I either couldn't remember or didn't know that I got wrong. All in all, I was very upset for the following week and had insomnia because I worried that I had scored below my baseline of Step 1, and that the result would undermine the work I had done prior. I could have very easily postponed my Step 2 exam until after applying to residency and mitigated all of this.

Here's the moral of the story: Ultimately, in spite of all of my self-doubt, I ended up scoring in the high 260's and met my goal of topping my Step 1 score. I hope this will be some consolation to others who feel as equally discouraged as I did. There is a reason people do better on Step 2 than Step 1, and you will likely conform to that trend as well. Trust your practice tests, and don't expect to feel as comfortable as you may have before.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Hey all,
I read the thread somewhat in details. I would appreciate it if anyone can comment more on how much of step 1 should I study for this exam. My friend told me there was a lot of step 1 on step 2 and I need to look over FA step 1. I would also really appreciate it if you can share what you studied for step 2. I am using UWORLD and MTB step2 . I wasn't a good student during third year rotation since I didn't study much after coming home due to being dead tired like all of you but I guess I was more lazy than most of you guys :(

Hey all,
I read the thread somewhat in details. I would appreciate it if anyone can comment more on how much of step 1 should I study for this exam. My friend told me there was a lot of step 1 on step 2 and I need to look over FA step 1. I would also really appreciate it if you can share what you studied for step 2. I am using UWORLD and MTB step2 . I wasn't a good student during third year rotation since I didn't study much after coming home due to being dead tired like all of you but I guess I was more lazy than most of you guys :(
If you have extensive time from now until Step 2 CK to study, it might not be bad to do a pass of FA Step 1 as a refresher to build up your core knowledge base. But honestly, there isn't that much classic Step 1 material on the exam, and if there is, its either:
1) Not counted (I had serious doubts about this until someone posted this on one of the forums: Retention of basic science information by senior medical students. - PubMed - NCBI)
2) Couched within the context of a clinical decision (next best step for diagnosis or treatment)

All in all, there are more effective ways to spend your study time. Like I said, in a perfect world, its certainly not detrimental to review Step 1 material, but that should be secondary to studying Step 2 resources like UWorld.

I took mine today and I currently am just hoping to pass. I generally only marked up 5-10 on any UWorld block or UWSA/NBME and would leave 1-2 unanswered so I knew to focus hard on those first before other marked. I marked up 15-20 and left 4-6 unanswered per block on the real deal today. And the ones I marked up felt like at best 50/50, sometimes it was 3 or 4 possibilities. I also tended to hit 10 minutes left and still have 5 or more questions to go, so I never got to actually in depth review the marked like I wanted. Never had time issues on NBME/UWSA or any individual UW block.

In hindsight, things I wish I had done: Read through all of First Aid for Step 2. Reread FA for Step 1 Micro or sketchymicro notes, also maybe reviewed Pathoma for certain subjects.

Things I wish I hadn't done: Redone OME during dedicated. I watched most of the videos at 2x speed and reviewed my notes as I went. OME does diagnosis and treatment phenomenally well. My test focused HEAVILY on underlying mechanisms or "pick the most common ______", _____ could be complication, physical exam finding, etc. And the list of most commons seemed to be the bottom of the laundry lists you find in Harrison's. I knew my weakness was mechanisms and all of the complication/follow up stuff but I didn't review it. And now I'm kicking myself for that lol...

I think I might be misunderstanding but do you mean you had like >10 unanswered questions at the end of your exam?

Already posted this on another thread, but I felt like it was more appropriate to put here:

I walked out of this exam feeling incredibly despondent, no where near as comfortable as I did with Step 1 (and I didn't feel that great after Step 1 to begin with). I felt confident and prepared for maybe 60-80 questions on my Step 2 CK. I repeat, I felt prepared for 60-80 questions at most. That's it. My answers to the rest of the 250 or so questions felt at best like quasi-educated speculation, and at worst, like frank shots in the dark. I also had far more "WTF is this?" type questions on this exam than I had on Step 1 as well, inquiring about fringe concepts, esoteric diseases, incredibly specific treatments, or challenging ethical dilemmas with resolutions that all seemed superficially appropriate and plausible.

Again, Step 2 CK isn't so much about knowing definitive facts as it is apprehending the appropriate clinical approach. If you're someone like me who thinks concretely and thrives on trivia-like tidbits and associations, this makes things somewhat unsettling because you don't have the same strength of your convictions. On Step 1, sometimes you just know the answer because you just know the answer. The prompt mentions something about a dihydrorhodamine (DHR) flow cytometry test? The answer must be Chronic Granulomatous Disease. You see a pathology picture of dumbbell-shaped ferruginous bodies in the lung? The answer must be asbestosis. You just don't see that type of stuff very often on Step 2. I also felt that the resources available for Step 2 aren't quite at the same level as they are for Step 1. First Aid is a great example of this. It's an absolutely essential resource for Step 1, but for Step 2, I found it lacking in many regards.

For the record, I scored 250+ on Step 1, and my main goal was to at least beat that score for Step 2. My study strategy this time around was a full, careful pass of UWorld one time with the UWorld self-assessments and all Step 2 NBME's completed before the week prior to the exam. All of my practice exams for Step 2 CK had me scoring in the high 260's, which put me at ease somewhat, because I acutely felt my grasp of the material was for more tenuous than it had been for Step 1.

As I said, I walked out of the real thing feeling terrible. In the ensuing hours after the exam, all of the questions I was unsure about came bubbling up from my subconscious, and upon reflection, I realized that I got most of them wrong. There were at least 20 questions that I could recall being unsure of; that's not counting the questions I either couldn't remember or didn't know that I got wrong. All in all, I was very upset for the following week and had insomnia because I worried that I had scored below my baseline of Step 1, and that the result would undermine the work I had done prior. I could have very easily postponed my Step 2 exam until after applying to residency and mitigated all of this.

Here's the moral of the story: Ultimately, in spite of all of my self-doubt, I ended up scoring in the high 260's and met my goal of topping my Step 1 score. I hope this will be some consolation to others who feel as equally discouraged as I did. There is a reason people do better on Step 2 than Step 1, and you will likely conform to that trend as well. Trust your practice tests, and don't expect to feel as comfortable as you may have before.

Took the words out of mouth, it's going to be a long wait.

For those asking about Step 1 review, I found it helpful to review some of the more HY biochem topics (vitamins, metabolic disorders like fructose intolerance, some of the genetics stuff, GSDs and LSDs). I also reviewed immunodeficiencies, biostats, neuro section, and psych.

For those who took the exam recently... is there any correlation between the free 150 and the exam itself? Meaning question styles...etc?

How is the exam compared to CMS in term of difficulty ?

Last edited:
Hey all,

How is the exam compared to the CMS in term of difficulty ?
sorry i posted this by mistake and i can't delete it

Last edited:
My status just recently changed on the NLES website. No longer able to "confirm or reschedule." Definitely getting my score this Wednesday! For those of you who want to know if you're getting your score on Wednesday, you should go check the site!

My status just recently changed on the NLES website. No longer able to "confirm or reschedule." Definitely getting my score this Wednesday! For those of you who want to know if you're getting your score on Wednesday, you should go check the site!

Dang, guess I'm waiting 2 more weeks since they are not releasing any next week :(

So I'm looking at dates in nearby test centers, and I only see July 1st available in one center. Nothing June 30th or earlier. Since July 1st is technically still before July 3rd, would I be fine with score reporting? Like would my results come as planned (Like maybe August? Since I know that the week of July 4th there wont be any scores). Should I just book it? I would hate for one day to affect my score reporting date

I took the test this week. It was very difficult, definitely more difficult than Step 1 imo. Lots of questions were vague and could have had multiple right answers. Biostats/epidemiology questions were particularly tough for me. Also had some trouble with timing which I had never experienced with UW/practice tests.
Study method: UW x1 @ 79% (already went through all the questions once during third year), perused FA.
Practice tests: NBME 3 222, UWSA 1: 261 (didn't have time for more)
Step 1: 260s
Step 2: hopefully >209

Ended up scoring in 250s. I'm relieved that I did as well as I did but a little disappointed that I didn't beat my Step I score. I don't think this will hurt me too much (applying EM) so I'm happy that it's over and I'm not second-guessing my decision to take it early (too much). Things I would have done differently: start reviewing things earlier especially from clerkships I had at the beginning of third year, take more practice tests, spend more time reviewing areas of weakness instead of powering through UWorld. Like others have said, this test feels like more guessing so I don't know that anything else I would have done would have done anything.