USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Got my score back today. Did better than expected based on my feeling after the exam. For awhile I was debating on whether or not to take Step 2CK early or take it after I interview. I am so glad that I took it early. Fourth year will now consist of music festivals, beach days, concerts, and fun nights out with friends without having to remember the risk factors for preeclampsia...absolute bliss.

Prepping for this exam was really not that bad. I didn't feel as I was mentally working as hard studying as compared to step 1. For each of my rotations during third year I would simply do the corresponding sections in UWORLD. I basically did a complete pass of UWORLD by the start of my dedicated period. Due to the fact that I am applying into dermatology and need high board scores, I took this exam seriously and took three weeks off to study for it. Looking back I think that may have been a bit overkill but whatever. My studying consisted of doing UWORLD in tutor mode, reading the answer explanations really well, and then looking up corresponding topics in Master the Boards. Master the Boards is a decent book because it is not really overwhelming and explains things clearly. They also emphasize next best step questions which are important for this exam. I also bought Step up to the Boards. This book had way too much detail in it and was just too dense so I barely used it. I did a complete second pass of UWORLD by the time I took the test.

I only did two NBME practice tests. The fact that they cost $60 is absolute highway robbery so I just didn't feel like emptying my wallet anymore than I had to. One of the practice tests was in the 240's. The second one I took was in the low 250's.

The actual exam wasn't that bad. A fair mix of everything. Nothing really stood out to me other than that there were some step 1 like questions that were more biochem in nature. There were lots of "next best step questions." Walking out I felt worse than I did after I took Step 1...however I ended up scoring better.

Actual Score: Low 260's

If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Congratulations!!
Take any practice tests?

Thanks! No I didn't. I bought the UWorld self-asssessments with my qbank but didn't have enough time in my study schedule to finish and review more than a few of the blocks. No NBMEs for me either, mostly since I have a bias against using them based on my Step 1 experience.

If it helps, I was hitting about 60-65% on most UWorld blocks on my first pass.

Hey guys, so I got my score back today. I want to share with you guys because it has always been very helpful to look at other ppl scores to see where I was at.

uworld 70% one time
nbme 6 (3 wks out 220)
uworld sa 1 (2 wks out 243)
uworld sa 2 ( 1 wk out 237)
Real deal 240 (took it on may 24 2017)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Took my test about a month ago after 3 full weeks of dedicated study time. I had done all of uWorld during 3rd year from studying for shelf exams. I reset uWorld before the 3 weeks and just did questions in random tutor mode. I did not use any other resource (other than if I needed to look up something specific). I studied a total of about 8 hours each day and took one day off per week. I felt like I did poorly after taking the exam but I knew that that feeling has no correlation with your actual score.

uWorld average - 75%
NBME 6 (2 weeks out) - 242
UWSA (5 days out) - 247 - this one felt the closest to the actual exam
Real Deal - 245

Took my test about a month ago after 3 full weeks of dedicated study time. I had done all of uWorld during 3rd year from studying for shelf exams. I reset uWorld before the 3 weeks and just did questions in random tutor mode. I did not use any other resource (other than if I needed to look up something specific). I studied a total of about 8 hours each day and took one day off per week. I felt like I did poorly after taking the exam but I knew that that feeling has no correlation with your actual score.

uWorld average - 75%
NBME 6 (2 weeks out) - 242
UWSA (5 days out) - 247 - this one felt the closest to the actual exam
Real Deal - 245

Did you go up from your step 1 score?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Got scores back today! Tested May 26
Only got through 1 pass of UW, took UWAS 1 8 weeks before test-250, UWAS 2 one week before-240 (sorely disappointed to see the drop after several added weeks of study ) started to panic and blew through majority of Master the Boards and continued UW as much as possible (got through ~20% second pass)

On test day felt like absolute **** walking out- was pretty sure I failed.

Step 2 Score- 258!

Couldn't believe my eyes- for reference I scored mid 230s for step 1 and am a DO student so for any of you underdogs out there/or Those just feeling crappy about the exam power through and just have faith in yourself and your plan!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Received my score yesterday. Throughout 3rd year, I completed Uworld. 3 weeks prior to my exam, I reset it and completed it on timed random. I tried reading through some MTB and FA but did not find it particularly useful and ended up reading <20 pages.

Uworld timed random: 83%

NBME 4 (4 weeks out): 245
NBME 6 (2 weeks out): 249
NBME 7 (12 days out): 247
Uworld 1 (4 days out): 255
Uworld 2 (3 days out): 257

Step 2 CK Score: 267

For reference, my step 1 score was in the high 230s despite an absurd investment of time and effort into studying for the exam. I also took the MCAT multiple times to obtain a competitive score. I do attribute some of my improvement in shelf/step scores over the past year to working on improving my test taking skills, but I can objectively say that in the past I have been a poor test taker.

I was really surprised at my score. I felt similar to how most people here felt after the exam. As others have stated, the best prep is to do well during 3rd year and work hard for each shelf exam. I began the year scoring in the low 70s and by my last three rotations I was scoring in the high 80s. There were multiple times during my exam that I answered a question correctly because I could pull from information I learned on my clinical rotations that was not something explicitly taught in Uworld.

Members don't see this ad :)

Strong Work!

I see you took these last few exams real close to your test date. Do you feel there was much utility in that? And if so, how and what did you study in the last 3-4 days?

Just finished the exam today, felt totally blindsided. Time to spend the next 3 weeks pretending all the questions I didn't know were the trial questions. :)

Reactions: 3 users
Strong Work!

I see you took these last few exams real close to your test date. Do you feel there was much utility in that? And if so, how and what did you study in the last 3-4 days?

Prior to these practice exams I had been doing 1 block of questions, reviewing the questions for an hour, and then doing another block. I just wanted to simulate a little bit of the exhaustion and necessary focus over the course of hours rather than a single hour. I'd also run out of Uworld questions and NBME exams at that point. The last few days I just reviewed some marked questions in Uworld with good explanations and tables.

It's a risk though. If you're in a fragile state and a poor practice test score would destroy your confidence, I would avoid them like the plague several days prior to the exam. However, if you can handle possibly doing worse than you would be happy with and still take it as an opportunity to simulate testing conditions and maybe plug a few holes in knowledge, then I would definitely take at least one.

Just finished the exam today, felt totally blindsided. Time to spend the next 3 weeks pretending all the questions I didn't know were the trial questions. :)

Agreed. Was a tough one. Timing was an issue for me as well though I'm usually fast. Didn't know Step 2 was practically the shelf exam for psychiatry and dermatology :shrug: Lol gonna be a long month of waiting.

got my score back this week (took it May 28 and score back June 14):

UWorld 1 pass 60%
NBME 4 (2 months out): 202
NBME 6 (10 days out): 207
USWA 1 (1 week out): 232

Real deal: 247

I didn't take time off to study, just studied in the evenings for about a month during one of my rotations

Reactions: 5 users

UWorld 1 pass 60%

I didn't take time off to study, just studied in the evenings for about a month during one of my rotations
Congrats! What was your step 1 score?

Would you guys say biostats outside of the normal first aid stuff is even worth studying? It seems a lot more low-yield for this exam and I feel like doing more medicine questions could be more beneficial in a time crunch <1mo out

Would you guys say biostats outside of the normal first aid stuff is even worth studying? It seems a lot more low-yield for this exam and I feel like doing more medicine questions could be more beneficial in a time crunch <1mo out
First Aid biostats should be more than enough.

Would any posters mind commenting on whether CK (real deal) felt more like nbme practice tests or uworld self assessments?

I feel they are distinctly different.

Would any posters mind commenting on whether CK (real deal) felt more like nbme practice tests or uworld self assessments?

100% felt more like UWSA in both difficulty, question style, length, timing, and knowledge they expect you to know. NBME's questions were shorter and easier by far.

Reactions: 1 user
Just took it today and I felt that it was harder than UWorld and UWSA/NBME practice exams. Sometimes if felt very granular. Anyone else sharing in my exhaustion/feelings?

Questions more like UWorld and UWSA format in terms of length, but today's test was more difficult than any UWSA/NBME. I was scoring 262 on practice exams. There is no way in hell I got that today. By block 3 I was hoping I passed. It got a little better after lunch.

UWorld 1 pass 60%

Curious as to how/what you studied between USWA1 from one week out and test day. Thanks

Received my score yesterday. Throughout 3rd year, I completed Uworld. 3 weeks prior to my exam, I reset it and completed it on timed random. I tried reading through some MTB and FA but did not find it particularly useful and ended up reading <20 pages.

Uworld timed random: 83%

NBME 4 (4 weeks out): 245
NBME 6 (2 weeks out): 249

Step 2 CK Score: 267

For reference, my step 1 score was in the high 230s despite an absurd investment of time and effort into studying for the exam. I also took the MCAT multiple times to obtain a competitive score. I do attribute some of my improvement in shelf/step scores over the past year to working on improving my test taking skills, but I can objectively say that in the past I have been a poor test taker.

I was really surprised at my score. I felt similar to how most people here felt after the exam. As others have stated, the best prep is to do well during 3rd year and work hard for each shelf exam. I began the year scoring in the low 70s and by my last three rotations I was scoring in the high 80s. There were multiple times during my exam that I answered a question correctly because I could pull from information I learned on my clinical rotations that was not something explicitly taught in Uworld.
did u have a problem with time management ? I wasn't able to complete 3 blocks left 1 qt in the blocks? how was ur feeling post exam? I think I have made around 10-20 mistakes though I can't find the answer to those its anywhere. my Issa 1 was 261 and uwsa2 was 259 two days b4 exam

Just took it today and I felt that it was harder than UWorld and UWSA/NBME practice exams. Sometimes if felt very granular. Anyone else sharing in my exhaustion/feelings?

There should be a term for the phenomenon of high scoring people who feel like they failed and end up scoring right where they were on practice exams. The SDN effect? (TM) Perhaps because they normally know almost all the answers to UW/NBME/UWSA the new scenarios throw them off mentally even though they still score well based off their knowledge/practice?

I'm sure you did well, that is a very common sentiment. It is strange though as I've heard your thoughts about the exam and then I've heard ones about my type of exam, fairly straightforward and definitely not detail heavy. Strange o_O

did u have a problem with time management ? I wasn't able to complete 3 blocks left 1 qt in the blocks? how was ur feeling post exam? I think I have made around 10-20 mistakes though I can't find the answer to those its anywhere. my Issa 1 was 261 and uwsa2 was 259 two days b4 exam

On two of the blocks I nearly ran out of time and timing has never been an issue for me. On a few others I had ~5 minutes and I know I changed at least 3 answers from correct to incorrect. My post exam feeling was not good. I knew that people generally felt terrible so I tried to just put it out of my mind. Don't sweat it. Your uworld practice test scores are great. I'm sure you're within a reasonable range +/- of them.

On two of the blocks I nearly ran out of time and timing has never been an issue for me. On a few others I had ~5 minutes and I know I changed at least 3 answers from correct to incorrect. My post exam feeling was not good. I knew that people generally felt terrible so I tried to just put it out of my mind. Don't sweat it. Your uworld practice test scores are great. I'm sure you're within a reasonable range +/- of them.

I changed answer from correct to incorrect right before I submitted. I don't know why we talk ourselves into such things.

For anyone who took it Friday June 2nd, anyone think we will get scores back tomorrow? Or is it more likely to be next Wednesday? Just trying to avoid the impending anxiety if it's not going to come tomorrow haha

For anyone who took it Friday June 2nd, anyone think we will get scores back tomorrow? Or is it more likely to be next Wednesday? Just trying to avoid the impending anxiety if it's not going to come tomorrow haha

I took it then too.. I think it should be out tomorrow. I dont have the option to reschedule on the NBME site anymore... the anxiety!!!

I took it then too.. I think it should be out tomorrow. I dont have the option to reschedule on the NBME site anymore... the anxiety!!!

Hooray, let's be anxious wrecks together. I can't reschedule either, it just says complete. **Cue internal screaming**

I think its tomorrow...my permit disappeared so I'm pretty sure its tomorrow. I took mine on the 2nd too

Took mine on June 13, it was terrible. Felt like I got asked such unfair questions, and the topics that I thought I would get asked- I didn't. (Like topics where in uworld they had many questions about- hence, thought it was important and would get asked)
Will I get my results on June 28 or July 5th you guys think?

Took mine on June 13, it was terrible. Felt like I got asked such unfair questions, and the topics that I thought I would get asked- I didn't. (Like topics where in uworld they had many questions about- hence, thought it was important and would get asked)
Will I get my results on June 28 or July 5th you guys think?

I took mine on the 13th too and this is exactly how I felt. It was so disheartening and I'm still plagued by some questions that I made dumb mistakes on :nailbiting:

I took mine on the 13th too and this is exactly how I felt. It was so disheartening and I'm still plagued by some questions that I made dumb mistakes on :nailbiting:

My incorrects are starting to pile up. it's extremely disheartening because I took extra time for this exam and did well on practice exams. My only positive is that I got the questions right where they make you commit to one before moving on to next question. They say the answer in the next question. I know I got at least 2 questions right! Woot woot.

Last edited:
Hello everyone... I am a DO looking to go ACGME and AOA...
Step 1: 230+
So far... its been disappointing on the practices:

UWorld: First pass in the low 60's, then 80%+ on second attempt (both throughout third year); MTB throughout third year

NBME 3: 198 (wtf?)
NBME 4: 237
UWSA 1 (Mid april): 240
NBME 7: 203 (wtf?)
UWSA 2: 232 (taken two weeks ago... disappointing drop)
NBME 1 (offline, many suggest looks like NBME 6): 85.9% (taken off line so don't know 3 digit score)

Working on the kaplan qbank this week... practice test tomorrow with Kaplan and Free 150 on Saturday before exam on Monday... any thoughts on how I can improve... ?