USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

You're definitely right, it is a lengthy test and I tend to fixate on questions that I think are unfair and weird when reflecting back on the test.
I just thought that the actual test was much tougher than the nbmes, but I actually ended up scoring higher than any of my nmbe practice tests.
Nbme 7: 217 3 weeks before exam
Nbme 6: 233 1 week before exam
Actual Step 2: 250

I am one of those people who really relied on the nbmes to predict my score for step 1 and step 2 and I scored higher on the actual test on both steps. So the key point here is to trust your studying!!! We all work ourselves so hard for these exams and alot of us underestimate ourselves (definitely myself included).
Good luck everyone!
~*PoSiTiVe ViBeS*~

That's awesome! :). Yeah I think we all tend to fixate on unfair and wierd questions. Or questions that seem normal, but have strange answer choices.

You're definitely right, it is a lengthy test and I tend to fixate on questions that I think are unfair and weird when reflecting back on the test.
I just thought that the actual test was much tougher than the nbmes, but I actually ended up scoring higher than any of my nmbe practice tests.
Nbme 7: 217 3 weeks before exam
Nbme 6: 233 1 week before exam
Actual Step 2: 250

I am one of those people who really relied on the nbmes to predict my score for step 1 and step 2 and I scored higher on the actual test on both steps. So the key point here is to trust your studying!!! We all work ourselves so hard for these exams and alot of us underestimate ourselves (definitely myself included).
Good luck everyone!
~*PoSiTiVe ViBeS*~

whats your step 1?

General question for recent test takers , was there anything on ur exam that u felt was not adequately covered by either UW or the NBMES ? Any weird topics to review or study that showed up on the exam ? Thanks

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there any good compilations of images we should review ? Like on Cram.com or any other website that people used to study before their exam? Would be much appreciated

I know it's not a good predictor but I'm wondering how people are doing on UWorld questions?

I'm hovering around 70% correct after ~800 questions. I started 3rd with Internal Medicine, and although I got an 88 on that shelf, I feel like I'm getting rocked on these questions. I have plenty of time before I take CK on July 2nd, I know, but it's pretty scary knowing that I'll only have 2-3 weeks of actual study time before this thing. I try and do a block of 20-30 questions a night while also trying to study for psych, now on family med, and finish on peds; just worried that what I'm having trouble with now I'll learn, and then forget about again as I get closer to the test.

I know it's not a good predictor but I'm wondering how people are doing on UWorld questions?

I'm hovering around 70% correct after ~800 questions. I started 3rd with Internal Medicine, and although I got an 88 on that shelf, I feel like I'm getting rocked on these questions. I have plenty of time before I take CK on July 2nd, I know, but it's pretty scary knowing that I'll only have 2-3 weeks of actual study time before this thing. I try and do a block of 20-30 questions a night while also trying to study for psych, now on family med, and finish on peds; just worried that what I'm having trouble with now I'll learn, and then forget about again as I get closer to the test.

I have exam in 2 weeks and I am on 76% and will be finishing it only once. If your is in July, you've plenty of time. 70% is good. Although I myself don't have time to do that, I would strongly recommend re-doing your wrong ones. Because what you really need to kill this exam is to strengthen your weaker areas. So as long as you do UW and understand why the correct answer is correct, your percentage on that shouldn't really matter!

on NBME SITE there is only CSSA, CBSA, CSMSA ?

where can i find NBME 4,7,16 OR FRED cannot find the number form please help

I would suggest give step 1 first..
Nbme 4,7,16 look under cssa
Fred practice materials under practice materials on Usmle.org

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because clinical knowledge is still fresh so i need what are hot topics for step 1 need for step 2 ck?
please guide

Members don't see this ad :)
By Kaplan series u mean ?
the vids like kaplan classroom?

AND which is better KAPLAN CLASSROOM , BECKERS OR DIT for step 2 CK

Step one is all your basic science stuff Anat Physio biochem, path pharmac n micro.. And step 2 is medicine surgery etc..

Seriously give step 1 first then ck.. Step 1 and ck overlap.. And step 1 knowledge of will help u in ck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heard a dirty rumor:

Should I take Step 2 AND Step 3 during medical school? I heard it doesn't matter and that you may as well take both 4th year when you "know the most" anyway. Any thoughts about this radical tactic?

any body have a good site where the have explanations for the Clinical mastery series or NBMES for Step 2 ck?

I just tried to look up answers on forums. had time to do medicine forms only so i know the answers to those if you particularly wanna ask those questions

Heard a dirty rumor:

Should I take Step 2 AND Step 3 during medical school? I heard it doesn't matter and that you may as well take both 4th year when you "know the most" anyway. Any thoughts about this radical tactic?

No one can take Step 3 during med school. In order to even register for it you need to have completed Steps 1, 2CK and 2CS and have proof of graduation.

I wish we could take Step 3 during med school. I'd take it tomorrow if at all possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Finallyy my dream score --> 259!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

3 months prep. Kaplan series gave one read. Then did uworld with average of 81% on first pass. Did MTB 2 and 3 once. Did half of uworld again. Also did Clinical mastery series for medicine, peds, gyne and psych.

UWSA 260

Like the above post. The best thing for step 2ck is a good step 1 base. I had 245 in step 1 but managed to improve to 259. I am so so so happy :)

Last edited:
I am a DO student and just got my scores back yesterday.
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 247

Prep materials:
- Master the boards for step 2
- UWORLD
- Med Ed online videos
- Uptodate

My prep started a little over winter break. I started reading through the medicine portion of Master the boards because it was my first rotation of 3rd year and I felt like I had forgotten a lot. I didn't take any time off to study for the actual exam, but had 3 light months of rotations that I studied during, which was adequate (Psych, OMM, and radiology rotations). The biggest things that helped me for the exam was studying my tail off for every shelf during third year. I was studying about 5-6 hours a day up until a month out from my STEP and then started to panic a bit and started doing 10+ hours a day for the last 3 weeks (a few hours early in the morning and then after I got out of my rotation until I went to bed). Went through UWORLD twice, once during the year to prepare for shelf exams and then reset and did random up until my STEP.

Took a couple NBMEs and a UWSA. The highest score I got was 242 on a UWSA about 10 days away from my STEP. My NBME trends were almost exactly mirrored my Step 1 so I felt pretty comfortable headed into the exam.

Very important resource that helped me a ton in thinking through the algorithms of work up and treatment were the Med ed online videos. My exam had a lot of questions that weren't asking "best initial" or "most accurate", but rather "what do you do next after 'X' has been done?"

I felt like I got run over by a train coming out of this exam. I was pretty pissed off and didn't feel like I had cracked the 230s. Bottom line: study hard during third year, do UWORLD and use med ed online videos.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help and info!

Reactions: 2 users
Hola senors and senoritas, anyone know when the delay in score reporting is for 2015? Last year it was July 31st ish to September 24th. Is it generally the same every year?

Got my ck score few days back. 256. satisfied. but less than step 1 score (259) so not very happy. anyways thanks to previous writers for their valuable advice and suggestions. The final term for match 2016 now begins....

Finallyy my dream score --> 259!! :soexcited::soexcited::soexcited:

3 months prep. Kaplan series gave one read. Then did uworld with average of 81% on first pass. Did MTB 2 and 3 once. Did half of uworld again. Also did Clinical mastery series for medicine, peds, gyne and psych.

UWSA 260

Like the above post. The best thing for step 2ck is a good step 1 base. I had 245 in step 1 but managed to improve to 259. I am so so so happy :)

I keep hearing this about having a strong step 1 base. What does that mean for CK? Should we review First Aid Step 1 parts if we scored less than average on Step 1?

Another question to anyone : are the MTB CK + MTB Step 3 outdated or not focused on this exam? I saw another post and was thinking of doing Step up to Medicine + First Aid CK for non medicine Chapters + UW and maybe I don't know, parts of First Aid Step 1?

Well its just that if you studied really well for step 1 you will find it easier to study for step 2 because alot of things are the same. You can easily get to the diagnosis and even to some point figure out the management. I started studying for step 2 a month after i gave step 1 and things were still fresh in my mind so it helped me immensely. I would recommend doing the immunology and metabolic diseases from first aid step 1. My exam had alot of immuno.

Like pholoston mentioned in his review do MTBs for a general idea. I think MTBs and uworld are enough along with nbmes and clinical mastery series.

Got my ck score few days back. 256. satisfied. but less than step 1 score (259) so not very happy. anyways thanks to previous writers for their valuable advice and suggestions. The final term for match 2016 now begins....

Just read this and laughed for reasons you probably will never understand :(

I am a DO student and just got my scores back yesterday.
Step 1: 236
Step 2: 247

Prep materials:
- Master the boards for step 2
- UWORLD
- Med Ed online videos
- Uptodate

My prep started a little over winter break. I started reading through the medicine portion of Master the boards because it was my first rotation of 3rd year and I felt like I had forgotten a lot. I didn't take any time off to study for the actual exam, but had 3 light months of rotations that I studied during, which was adequate (Psych, OMM, and radiology rotations). The biggest things that helped me for the exam was studying my tail off for every shelf during third year. I was studying about 5-6 hours a day up until a month out from my STEP and then started to panic a bit and started doing 10+ hours a day for the last 3 weeks (a few hours early in the morning and then after I got out of my rotation until I went to bed). Went through UWORLD twice, once during the year to prepare for shelf exams and then reset and did random up until my STEP.

Took a couple NBMEs and a UWSA. The highest score I got was 242 on a UWSA about 10 days away from my STEP. My NBME trends were almost exactly mirrored my Step 1 so I felt pretty comfortable headed into the exam.

Very important resource that helped me a ton in thinking through the algorithms of work up and treatment were the Med ed online videos. My exam had a lot of questions that weren't asking "best initial" or "most accurate", but rather "what do you do next after 'X' has been done?"

I felt like I got run over by a train coming out of this exam. I was pretty pissed off and didn't feel like I had cracked the 230s. Bottom line: study hard during third year, do UWORLD and use med ed online videos.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the help and info!
Hey congrats on your great score!
I was just wondering what your UWORLD first pass cumulative score was?

Hey congrats on your great score!
I was just wondering what your UWORLD first pass cumulative score was?
I don't remember exactly. It was low 60s. I did about half of it during my first 2 months of 3rd year because internal medicine was my first rotation so that skewed it a little bit. I typically don't put too much stock in my uworld scores until I'm about 4-6 weeks out of my test because I use it as a learning tool.

I don't remember exactly. It was low 60s. I did about half of it during my first 2 months of 3rd year because internal medicine was my first rotation so that skewed it a little bit. I typically don't put too much stock in my uworld scores until I'm about 4-6 weeks out of my test because I use it as a learning tool.

oh ok...thanks...

This is super trivial, but has anyone done a later start time? I'm in the process of deciding what date I want for my exam and I just saw that there are days where the exam goes from 11am-8pm. Personally I think this might be ideal for me because I am 100% a night person and I think I would benefit from sleeping until 8am or so and then hitting the end of the exam when I'm at my usual peak of 6-8pm (though I'm sure test day jitters and exhaustion will affect that anyway). Just curious if there are any cons I'm not thinking of, or if people took the late start and recommend it!

Congratulations man!! Really amazing scores! Im sure you had an amazing base from step 1.
Would you care to quickly share for us your study strategy/resources?. Thanks!

Besides NBME/ Clinical mastery series review, what did ppl usually do last week before test to review ? Just finished 2nd pass through UW

I just did NBME 7 and just found out a lot of the questions quite ambiguous (is this how the real thing will look like)

I was wondering whether i should postpone my test or just take this thing next wednesday?

UWSA 234 (5 weeks out)
NBME 6: 212 (2 weeks out)
NBME 4: 234 (1 week out)
NBME 7: 219 ! (today)

I just did NBME 7 and just found out a lot of the questions quite ambiguous (is this how the real thing will look like)

I was wondering whether i should postpone my test or just take this thing next wednesday?

UWSA 234 (5 weeks out)
NBME 6: 212 (2 weeks out)
NBME 4: 234 (1 week out)
NBME 7: 219 ! (today)

Just sit it.

I went down on the 2CK also. I hated studying for 2CK. I don't know why it seems like everyone "goes up 10 points on Step 2." Quite honestly, I thought Step 1 was way more fun (and also way more straightforward) to study for.

Btw, a 256 2CK is solid as a rock.

Got my Step 2 scores a few weeks ago - 258. Average of my UWSA and best NBME. Mid-70s on UW first pass, random. Test was frustratingly difficult, and the three-week waiting period was very uneasy. I can't really say what helped and what didn't since my questions were so vague, but I will maintain that practice scores are excellent predictors. Unfortunately, for personal reasons, I'm not going to be applying for residency training in the United States, so I'm not likely to stick around on this (great) forum for long. Nevertheless, good luck to everyone else!

Got my Step 2 scores a few weeks ago - 258. Average of my UWSA and best NBME. Mid-70s on UW first pass, random. Test was frustratingly difficult, and the three-week waiting period was very uneasy. I can't really say what helped and what didn't since my questions were so vague, but I will maintain that practice scores are excellent predictors. Unfortunately, for personal reasons, I'm not going to be applying for residency training in the United States, so I'm not likely to stick around on this (great) forum for long. Nevertheless, good luck to everyone else!

Congratulations on that amazing score .

Can you please share your step 1 score if you dont mind ?

Maybe you could set up some platform to sell your USMLE scores. I'm sure there are students out there applying to the US who would want your identity.

Hey guys, I need your advice cause I'm really freaking out. Exam is next Friday.

Started step 2 CK prep about 2 months ago, didn't do much though because of work/research. Went through Kaplan books once, MTB2 and 3 once, finished half of Kaplan Qbank and started Uworld about 2 weeks ago. Took UWSA a week ago (went through 30% uworld by that time), scored 254. Last couple of days I'm scoring high 70s, low 80s in Uworld, still have 50% of unused questions (I do about 3 blocks each morning and then I review the answers and make anki cards till I pass out). Haven't done any NBMEs, mastery series. Cumulative Uworld is 74%.
Should I go ahead and take the exam or push it to July? I've already registered for step 2cs in the middle of June and I really don't want to be caught up between two exams, but I don't mind if that's what it takes. My goal was >260 since I scored low in Step 1 (246). Thing that concerns me is the gap that I would take for Step 2 CS prep if I push the exam to July plus I'm afraid I might score lower cause I won't have unused Uworld questions and time mgmt will be an issue.

Any input is much appreciated.