USMLE - Official 2015 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WBecks0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
With 2015 right around the corner I think it's a good time to begin a Step 2 CK experiences and scores thread for 2015. Let's keep the all experiences and scores in this thread.

Good luck to everyone taking the exam in 2015!

Members don't see this ad.

so im ready to take the NBMEs and UWSA ? Hoping to take CK on May 1st or 2nd, which NBMES should I do before UWSA ?

Don't do the NBME's before UWSA. Do your UWSA first..then the NBMEs. Although, parts of the real exam seem to mimic the UWSAS more...or that could have just been me hallucinating during the real thing lol.

Will taking the test in the last few days of August allow for me to receive my score after ERAS is submitted (thus giving me the choice whether to release it)?

Also, I'll have Medicine Subi, then medicine elective (Rheum), followed by 3 straight weeks to the day of studying. Goal is 255+. Will that be enough time? Or should I push it back a week and a half?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone,

Decided to post here see if anyone had any insight that could help me with my CK prep. I am a US-IMG who has been working in healthcare in the US for a few years now. I took step 1 a few months back scored a 232.
Now I am getting ready to take CK in about 6 weeks. I am using Kaplan Videos and am going to turn to DIT Step 2 and UW for my final month of prep.
I took NBME toward the end of February to get a baseline and I scored a 196 (NBME 3). I took NBME 5 today and scored a 210. Do you think there is enough time to raise my score to 240+? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Is it recommended to take a "diagnostic" NBME to see where you're at before you start dedicated step 2 prep? If so, which NBME or test is best to take? Thanks!

Anyone utilize DIT for the CK recently? Any review of this would be much appreciated. Thanks!

If I have gone through UW once, watched some DIT vids for all non IM subjects and watched Kaplan for IM, its about time I take a practice test right ?

Hey.. are the types of psychiatry questions based on DSM4 or 5 ? If its on 5 then what is a good review book/psych book for it ? Cause all the psych books have dsm4 diagnostic criteria...

Is anyone able to comment on the 2 clinical neurology self assessment exams (from the NBME site) - how beneficial is it to make those 100qs a priority in the last week of prep? I've done all the rest of the clinical science mastery series questions, but hear mixed reports about them being too detail oriented, since the scope of the real deal is a lot broader. Any help would be great, thanks!

I haven't done them myself, but I do plan to do them all in last week of prep. I am 4 weeks away from exam atm. I've heard good stuff about all mastery NBMEs and that, they are really close to the real deal. Neuro, however, is not that high yield on the 2CK stuff (apart from major clinical syndromes), so I would do that if I was particularly weak on the subject. So prioritize on what you need done in the last week of prep. If you've other weaker areas, do them first and leave Neuro to the end. I hope I get time to do all mastery NBME's. Need to go go through half of UW still :-/

Do the NBME clinical mastery series tell you the correct answers, unlike NBME self-assessments? If not, how do you find the correct answers? :-/

Do the NBME clinical mastery series tell you the correct answers, unlike NBME self-assessments? If not, how do you find the correct answers? :-/
Thanks. They just give you extended feedback like the regular NBMEs - they tell you what you got wrong, and then I basically google for everything or ask uptodate for the answers to those wrong ones. For questions I feel like are too picky or relatively low yield, I haven't bothered searching for answers because my time is limited.
I've seen some new threads on here recently about some of these question sets where people have been bouncing ideas back and forth about some of the harder items. Hopefully that grows soon and becomes helpful to people. Those NBME threads were a really great resource for me during Step 1 prep.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if NBME 3 is predictive of anything anymore? I just took mine and Im approx 2 mo out from my test date. Not happy with my 221 score at all but I have not done uworld yet (so far DIT x1 and 25% of KaplanQbank).
I was hoping to see at least a 230 but I guess I'm not there yet. Just out of curiosity @Phloston and those of you who have taken NBME 3, how did you feel about it? The questions were very short and i always finished with at least 15-20mins to spare so I was expecting a much better score... Is it realistic to jump to 240 in 2 months?
Thanks a bunch!

Does anyone know if NBME 3 is predictive of anything anymore? I just took mine and Im approx 2 mo out from my test date. Not happy with my 221 score at all but I have not done uworld yet (so far DIT x1 and 25% of KaplanQbank).
I was hoping to see at least a 230 but I guess I'm not there yet. Just out of curiosity @Phloston and those of you who have taken NBME 3, how did you feel about it? The questions were very short and i always finished with at least 15-20mins to spare so I was expecting a much better score... Is it realistic to jump to 240 in 2 months?
Thanks a bunch!

the newer NBME forms are more predictive and more similar to the real thing. Regardless, however, it's definitely possibly to go up 19 points in 2 months, especially because you haven't even done UW yet.

Reactions: 1 user
I've done NBME clinical mastery form 1 for medicine, but I can't find the right answers in online forums. Anyone got the key? Without knowing the correct answers with surety, I see little utility in doing those forms.

@Zully, NBME3 is known to be very difficult. I haven't done it yet and will do it a few days before the exam. So, don't let this throw you off. 2 months is a lot of time to bump up your score. I'd suggest to forego Kaplan now and start UW since you've got two months. I feel you need at least 1.5 to do UW properly and you can revise weak areas in the last days and do other NBMEs.
Also know that from other people's experiences, NBME4 is the best NBME for CK. Some would disagree but that's the general consensus

Was wondering if I could please get some feedback on this since seats are filling up scheduling-wise. Thanks! Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Was wondering if I could please get some feedback on this since seats are filling up scheduling-wise. Thanks! Appreciate it.

Wondering this too...currently planning on 2.5 dedicated weeks to study for this test, scored 250+ on Step 1, shelf exams low 80s-low 90s, targetting 250+ just to be consistent with my prior score. Talked to a bunch of people in the class above me with similar step 1/2 scores and they all said 2.5 weeks was enough, but I admittedly studied for 5 months for Step 1. Kind of wondering if there's any consensus on what NBME might be best to take as a pre-assessment in the near future.

Wondering this too...currently planning on 2.5 dedicated weeks to study for this test, scored 250+ on Step 1, shelf exams low 80s-low 90s, targetting 250+ just to be consistent with my prior score. Talked to a bunch of people in the class above me with similar step 1/2 scores and they all said 2.5 weeks was enough, but I admittedly studied for 5 months for Step 1. Kind of wondering if there's any consensus on what NBME might be best to take as a pre-assessment in the near future.

Describes my situation exactly! I would also like to hear any thoughts.

Thanks so where do I read psych from? There isn't a clerkship book with dsm5.. All the resources are outdated!
I think you can use whatever current resources are available. On questions at UW, it's not like you've to know the EXACT criteria to be able to objectively answer the question. You just have to be able to read the patient story and say hey, this is borderline personality or no, this is more consistent with acute psychotic disorder. I'm going 80s in Psych and I don't know the exact criteria for any of these disorders. The one thing you should know however is the duration of symptoms to make the diagnosis. Like 2 weeks for major depression, 6 months for schizophrenia etc and this info is essentially unchanged from DSM-4. Good luck!

Sat for exam 3/2. DO student. Got 263. Took NBME 4 right before the real thing and received a 245. Only used UWorld to study and made my own Anki cards. Only core rotations yet to finish are Psych and Surgery. Felt pretty crappy coming out of the exam and was exceedingly worried getting the results today.

Man thats awesome congrats !! Looks like Uworld plus NBMES is all u need, Im doing UW 2nd run and just took notes from UW which I review !! Any other advice ?

Sat for exam 3/2. DO student. Got 263. Took NBME 4 right before the real thing and received a 245. Only used UWorld to study and made my own Anki cards. Only core rotations yet to finish are Psych and Surgery. Felt pretty crappy coming out of the exam and was exceedingly worried getting the results today.

Yeah I took my exam on 3/14. I had crazy high NBME scores before the exam, yet I'm still worried about the results. I didn't feel crappy coming out of the exam, but I felt like it was a tough exam for sure. I keep thinking about the questions that I got wrong every so often, :(.

Yeah I took my exam on 3/14. I had crazy high NBME scores before the exam, yet I'm still worried about the results. I didn't feel crappy coming out of the exam, but I felt like it was a tough exam for sure. I keep thinking about the questions that I got wrong every so often, :(.

I gave the exam 2 days ago and i have the exact same feeling. I made a couple of really stupid mistakes that are giving me nightmares. Plus some of the questions were sooo very vague :( the exam itself was doable and i felt ok coming out of it but with each passing day i feel like i bombed it :((

I gave the exam 2 days ago and i have the exact same feeling. I made a couple of really stupid mistakes that are giving me nightmares. Plus some of the questions were sooo very vague :( the exam itself was doable and i felt ok coming out of it but with each passing day i feel like i bombed it :((

That C.diff question we are talking about in the other thread, I'm scanning my brain trying to remember if I had something like that in my exam. I can't remember now lol. Yeah I made some stupid mistakes too, and yes, a good amount of questions were vague. With those, I just marked the least weird answer and moved on. I don't feel like I bombed it, but I am concerned.

So they say that when a block has a drug abstract, be on fourth gear from the start on that block to be able to have enough time to solve the drug abstract. My question is, how do you KNOW that a block has a drug abstract?

That block will have lesser questions than the standard 44

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had one abstract in my whole exam and in that block i had 42 questions. I knew that would be the reason for the lesser amount of questions in that block so i took a break before starting that block to clear my head a bit. I marked the abstract and did it in the end. There were 3 questions relating to the abstract.

took my exam yesterday and here's a brief rundown of my prep and how i thought it went -
US IMG graduated recently, took step 1 in January - studied for roughly 10 weeks for CK and mainly used UWorld/MTB/Kaplan high yield videos/Pestana surgery notes. Supplemented with all the NBME clinical science mastery series and all 4 forms of the CCSSAs. Didn't use them as periodic evaluations, but similar to what Phloston mentioned in his experience document, I basically made my own qbank out of all those questions and I thought it helped me. Since there were no explanations for answers, I used uptodate to clarify anything I got wrong or happened to guess right.

UWorld was my major resource for learning, I took notes on all the questions and that was the bulk of my material. I dragged my feet through the Kaplan high yield videos to force myself to read MTB but wasn't enthusiastic about annotating into it or anything. I thought it was good for Peds and parts of IM, but I can't wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone who plans on using it as something like audio osmosis. The quality is just not there, and more often than not, they're just reading the book to you. Anyway, after spending so much time devoted to FA Step 1, I wasn't about to love another book up like that so I feel like I just had MTB in my arsenal as a comfort measure. Phloston mentioned somewhere as well that a solid Step 1 foundation will carry you far in CK and it's so true - don't underestimate how important your foundation is, because I studied a fair amount of pharm, psych, biostat and repro tumors from FA step 1 and I got plenty of Step 1 style copycat questions on my real deal CK.

NBMEs and clinical science mastery series blocks were golden - loved those because they were sometimes nitpicky but I was getting too comfortable with UWorld's style of questions and I could almost taste where they were leading you in the stems when it came to answering questions, and it made me feel like I was getting complacent with the material, so the NBMEs were a challenge and it was where a lot of my progress happened after I felt like I hit my plateau. I did all of the subjects and I thought the psych, obstetrics, and surgery forms were spot on as far as difficulty level went in comparison to the real deal. The Medicine, Peds, Neuro forms had some questions peppered in here and there that were similar, but overall I felt the difficulty level for those topics on the real deal was more in line with UWorld style.

As far as what I thought about my exam goes -
Pestana surgery notes were great - you don't need to go into more depth for that. Do the questions at the back of the book, they're short and pretty easy if you read the text first. I had a few copycat versions of those on my test. The only thing is I felt like my form was very breast-pathology heavy and that might have just been incidental, but I thought I could have studied that a little better.
UWorld was good enough for ob/gyn - I had a lot of intrapartum pathology that I was able to do fine on just by knowledge from my rotations, but if you have to, add in case files to your rotation to go over things like arrested descent, cord prolapse, when do you vacuum/forceps deliver, and practice reading those fetal monitoring strips. there was a lot of "given this risk factor, the most likely consequence would be..." kind of stuff.
I had a lot of peds - the basic stuff mostly, congenital heart disease, identifying some murmurs, foreign body/caustic ingestion, abuse, developmental hip dysplasia and legg calve perthe/slipped capital femoral epiphysis, bone tumors, intussuception/volvulus/meckels, but besides that, know really well how to tell the difference between a normal, active kid and a hyperactive, learning disabled kid. I know that sounds simplistic, but the vignettes can be really long and vague. go back into FA step 1 and read the immunodeficiencies - the differences between brutons/CGD/IgA def/CVID/SCID.
Know your infectious diseases and antibiotics really well. Prophylaxis for travelers (pregnant, nonpregnant and kids). These are almost step 1 style questions, so if you have to, go back and read FA. You might have to look at some images of bugs, but really just the heavy hitters, some for vaginal swab wet mounts/some diarrheal bugs/gram pos/gram neg diplococci, etc.
medicine i thought was decent overall - identify septic/cardiogenic shock, lots of CHF/COPD management, acid base disturbances (identify based on ABGs), managing electrolyte disturbances, TOXICOLOGY was super big - every kid/adolescent was ingesting bottles of one of thing or another and based on their toxidrome you ID what they took - easy if you did enough practice questions.
biostat was pretty doable - uworld was enough for this - calculate the ppv/npv or nnt/nnh, know what generalizability and validity of studies are. i had a drug ad that was 3qs long and couldn't be asked to spend my last 3 min in the block struggling for the answers, so i educated guessed them.
preventive medicine is huge - know what you screen for, in what age groups, and at what times of the year, given what risk factors - anything and everything you can think of as far as primary prevention goes, is fair game. i got a lot of hospital management stuff and ethics which are only slightly covered in UWorld - don't know that there are resources that you can find this info in, but the bottom line is to use your best judgement and be diplomatic in the medicolegal sense to cover your butt if you are in a sticky situation.

TL;DR: it was hard and long and requires a lot of stamina, felt like i got run over by a bus after it. there was a lot of stuff that i knew, a fair amount of stuff that i had to use my intuition about, and definitely stuff that i straight up got wrong, so. we'll see in a few weeks!

good luck everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
@ShenMeYiSi Thanks for the awesome review and I really hope you get the score you want! Quick question, how did you do uworld questions? Random? timed? turor? subject wise?
Thanks

@ShenMeYiSi Thanks for the awesome review and I really hope you get the score you want! Quick question, how did you do uworld questions? Random? timed? turor? subject wise?
Thanks
Sorry forgot to mention that - I did UWorld subject wise in timed mode - took my time going over the explanations. Since I was on a 10 week timeline, I divided my uworld to complete it in 5-6 weeks and worked my way up to doing 4 blocks/day. In my 2nd pass I did only incorrects in tutor mode for a re-read and focused on the NBMEs. I can't say for sure whether it matters if you do it subject wise, but I was compulsive about staying/feeling organized and that seemed like the most linear way to go about it. Doing 4 blocks a day from 8a-2p, taking a break, and then going thru the explanations from 3ish to the end of the night was helpful for stamina. On the real test around blocks 5/6/7, it felt like pure agony, so taking a break after every block was helpful for me because it was something to look forward to.

Thanks for sharing Shen!

My prep was pretty much like yours, but I didn't do the Clinical Mastery series. I was running out of time and I wanted to focus on content review before the exam (going through Uworld repeatedly really helped me, as I'm someone who needs to repeat things like crazy otherwise they wont stick). I looked over some of the Clinical Mastery Series questions people posted here and found them similar to NBME 7 (which I did quite well on, and several questions on the real thing were similar to NBME 7), so I figured I'd be fine. I also took a break after each block. It was nice to catch my breath or get up and get some water/gatorade and eat something, before coming back for the next block. Your TL;DR is exactly what I felt like about my exam, so yeah fingers crossed for you and me both buddy! I'm sure you did great! :).

im sure u guys both killed it, Im planning to take it in one month, currently going through second pass of UW (need to repeat too), still gonna do UWSA, 1-2 NBMES, and the Clinical Mastery series plus Free 131 ??? Out of these which would u say are must do and which ones are not as important ? Thanks

im sure u guys both killed it, Im planning to take it in one month, currently going through second pass of UW (need to repeat too), still gonna do UWSA, 1-2 NBMES, and the Clinical Mastery series plus Free 131 ??? Out of these which would u say are must do and which ones are not as important ? Thanks

Oh man that's the hope! The exam still keeps haunting my brain from time to time :(. Until I get my score I'm gonna be on edge :(.

Since you have time, you could do the Clinical Mastery Series. I found out about it late, and I didn't have time to go through them, as it would have taken away time from content review for me. I hate the fact that the NBME doesn't provide answers to any of their practice content, but I guess its due to the fact that the questions looks very similar to some on the real thing. UWSA do it after that second pass. Then review as necessary and do the NBMEs as close as possible to the real exam. I took NBME 7 the week of my exam. Free 131 I don't think is essential, but is worth doing if you have time. It doesn't take long and the answers are provided. I actually felt like the questions on the real thing were a mix of Uworld/UWSA/NBME 7. The exam is strange, in many ways. I don't want to spoil the fun lol, but you'll see when you take it.

i would definitely repeat UW because I got a lot of very similar questions on my exam, exact same concepts, and nearly the same scenarios, they just lengthened the stems and added more obscure answer choices. If you don't have time/don't want to spend $ on all the clinical mastery series, then I think your best bet is to just do one form each of medicine, peds, psych, and if you are feeling weak on gyn, take that as well, but UW was decent for that. They're 50q each for $20 with extended feedback. UWSA is good to do about a week or ten days out, and I did the free 131 the night before just to ease into the test mindset. I found it helpful but then again I can't say much about how predictive the scores are.

i would definitely repeat UW because I got a lot of very similar questions on my exam, exact same concepts, and nearly the same scenarios, they just lengthened the stems and added more obscure answer choices. If you don't have time/don't want to spend $ on all the clinical mastery series, then I think your best bet is to just do one form each of medicine, peds, psych, and if you are feeling weak on gyn, take that as well, but UW was decent for that. They're 50q each for $20 with extended feedback. UWSA is good to do about a week or ten days out, and I did the free 131 the night before just to ease into the test mindset. I found it helpful but then again I can't say much about how predictive the scores are.

Yup I'll have to second this. I went through Uworld SEVERAL times before the real exam. In fact the week of my exam, I was still repeating it, just to hone everything down one last time. I did UWSA as a base, to see where I was at. The NBMEs helped me get oriented to the style of questions on the real deal. As far as regarding obscure answers choices, indeed, my exam had a fair bit of that. They really make you sit there and think about these answer choices. On ones that I couldn't figure out, I just picked the least weird one and moved on, because you kind of have to. I think some of the stems were lengthened or it's possible some seemed that way because of the test software (paragraph spacing and what not..and also a smaller screen at the centers).

For those that are very close to the exam, revising just the educational objective bit from UW should be helpful, right?

For those that are very close to the exam, revising just the educational objective bit from UW should be helpful, right?

It should be enough, but I tended to go through all the explanations once again, just to see if I missed anything.

but it's a 9 hour test...do you feel like you are just remembering the bizarre questions and the common diseases you simply answered and moved on w/o remembering them?
You're definitely right, it is a lengthy test and I tend to fixate on questions that I think are unfair and weird when reflecting back on the test.
I just thought that the actual test was much tougher than the nbmes, but I actually ended up scoring higher than any of my nmbe practice tests.
Nbme 7: 217 3 weeks before exam
Nbme 6: 233 1 week before exam
Actual Step 2: 250

I am one of those people who really relied on the nbmes to predict my score for step 1 and step 2 and I scored higher on the actual test on both steps. So the key point here is to trust your studying!!! We all work ourselves so hard for these exams and alot of us underestimate ourselves (definitely myself included).
Good luck everyone!
~*PoSiTiVe ViBeS*~

Reactions: 1 users
Ok, I understand how to get NBME and Clinical Mastery series. Where do you look to get UWSA? Sorry if it's a stupid question

Thank you guys for your input, will ask some more questions as i get closer and start to freak out more :uhno: