USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,065
I think this is would be a problem with the adrenal, while de la chappelle would a problem in the actual sex differentiation. An XX male because one of the Xs has the SRY fragment and they have no MIF so theres no inhibition of development of the mullerian structures

Dude you know this crap... just straight of the dome? that's impressive

Good one! I wonder if this is the same thing as de la chapelle?

Nope, De-la-Chapelle is a situation where there's abnormal crossing-over between X and Y chromosomes, generating a sperm with an X chomosome that also contains the SRY-gene.

This is a congenital mutation of the 3-beta-hydroxysteroid dehydrogenase enzyme, which leads to a deficiency in all the end-products of normal adrenal steroid biosynthesis.

In the diagram from FA, it takes out all but the top row. Leaving DHEA present, which being a weak androgen, virilizes female fetuses, but undervirilizes male fetuses.

You end up with phenotypically similar babies either way. They sorta meet in the middle with respect to the mechanism for ambiguous genitalia development.

I thought it was a cool mutation...

Members don't see this ad :)
Members don't see this ad :)
left- sigmoid volvulus.... or the patient might have ingested a giant coffee bean

Thanks, yeah I can see it's coming from the sigmoid region. But I am (or at least was) unfamiliar with the convention for describing them (GI was last year and haven't hit it in FA yet). I assumed right since it's occupying most of the right upper abdomen.

Now I know, thanks to this question.

How would you differentiate this from Hirshprungs?

Biopsy would be diagnostic (Hirschsprung has absent inntervation, causing backup). It would also present shortly after birth.

It would also be more like megacolon due to impaction rather than volvulus I'd think.

I think of volvulus as a twisting off of a loop of bowell.

Biopsy would be diagnostic (Hirschsprung has absent inntervation, causing backup). It would also present shortly after birth.

It would also be more like megacolon due to impaction rather than volvulus I'd think.

I think of volvulus as a twisting off of a loop of bowell.

cool thanks for the reminder!

dude, exactly what in the **** is going on here? Are they removing segments of rectal canal and distal colon.... intra-anusly..?

why is the gapping hole at 1 mo. a good thing? They can poop now but they are totally incontinent?! why not just do a colostomy?

I gotta think the anus and rectum are spared, and that it will heal up well in the long run.

But those are some pretty intense photographs!

It's amazing how much book knowledge I've obtained for studying for this test but when used in a practical setting I'm just as likely to diagnose Lyme disease for Endocarditis for SJS for Crohn's if someone doesn't tell me what I'm looking at in words. Good job USMLE

Our tests were 50% images for path (w/thousands of images over the semester), and it still didn't cover what a lot of the buzz word stuff looks like / descriptions of how buzz word things actually manifest. I think UW has done a really good job of filling that info in, and hopefully the NBME's will round it out

porcelain GB, chronic cystitis?

too easy? yea youre right! and as a side note, there was thought to be a strong association between gallbladder cancer and porcelain ballbladder, but as it turns out the association is not that significant.

alright, I have a good one.

30 y/o man, recently traveled to south-east asia within the last year where he remembers riding elephants and swimming in local lakes. has a hx of upper right quadrant pain and now presents with noted enlarged liver and spleen along with abdominal fluid wave on abdominal palpation.

Here is a liver biopsy. dx?

schistosomiasis_s88-333.jpg

33 yo female presents with "a lump in my throat"

ROS positive for: weight loss, increased appetite, and diarrhea.
PE: DTR's 3+ in upper and lower extremities, skin is warm and moist. A mass is palated in her neck lateral to the right and left of the cricoid cartilage.

Biopsy of the mass is performed and is shown in the attached image.

What is the most likely diagnosis?

Edit, wait for the image, I have to resize it...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 84
alright, I have a good one.

30 y/o man, recently traveled to south-east asia within the last year where he remembers riding elephants and swimming in local lakes. has a hx of upper right quadrant pain and now presents with noted enlarged liver and spleen along with abdominal fluid wave on abdominal palpation.

Here is a liver biopsy. dx?

schistosomiasis_s88-333.jpg

shistomosomaoa mansoni, is that the portal triad?

PE: DTR's 3+ in upper and lower extremities, skin is warm and moist. A mass is palated in her neck lateral to the right and left of the cricoid cartilage.

grave's disease. nvm lol answered w/o pic

damn, that was fast.

apparently, it can be S. Japanoicum or S. Masoni. UW said this is pipestem fibrosis and is pathonomonic for it? :shrug:

All I know from FA was that masoni causes portal hypertension, which i got from the symptoms. from the pic I saw that the triad area was messed up (I think it's the portal area lol) and thats the only organism i associate w/ portal problems

im going to guess cancer... and since shes hyperthyroid it must be follicular thyroid cancer

That's not it either, though the cells shown in the image can become malignant.

I've made this one super tough; I couldn't answer it if I didn't write it...

sorry, I wikied follicular cell thyroid carcinoma and theres apparently a hurthle cell variant showing the exact same cytology...