USMLE images

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zuhal

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
68 yo male patient presents to your clinic with postprandial pain. X-ray below, whats the dx?

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• x.jpg
    x.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 1,065
Members don't see this ad :)
last one by me for the night...need to go read...but here you guys go...

two different individuals, just providing you two pictures of the same diagnosis

W6z9R0s.jpg

FAAFGXg.jpg

at this stage of the condition...mcc of death would be due to what?

bCO3orC.jpg

Can anyone point out where the caterpillar nucleus anitschkow cell is? Also, I thought aschoff bodies were kind of in a myxoid stroma/edematous looking background. I hope on the NBME question they at least gave you enough background to tell you were in cardiac tissue :p

Members don't see this ad :)
blowing systolic murmur, best heard at the apex, and the following skin finding:

tumblr_m05wzgz3rp1rq3lp6o1_250.jpg

Dx?

rheumatic fever (erythema marginatum is shown)

Okay...here's my first contribution ;)

infant/young child with failure to thrive, short stature, unsteadiness, and this skin finding:

2376_2392_2.jpg

Last edited:
I'll leave a hint, since I'm about to go to bed. Highlight below if you want the hint.

If the dermatological complication from this disease were found in adults, it would classically be in a necklace distribution.

Mechanical destruction...I think. Does this patient have a mechanical aortic valve, or just really bad stenosis?

A correct answer, but not the one I was thinking of. I'm a bad question-writer :oops:

The anemia I was thinking of is coincidental with the cardiac defect (you're right, it's aortic stenosis). There would also be findings upon colonoscopy:

f2zEjwO.png

Hopefully that's enough of a hint without giving it away.

Last edited:
A correct answer, but not the one I was thinking of. I'm a bad question-writer :oops:

The anemia I was thinking of is coincidental with the cardiac defect (you're right, it's aortic stenosis). There would also be findings upon colonoscopy:

f2zEjwO.png

lol colon cancer with strep bovis? :p edit: didnt see the pic lol

f2zEjwO.png

Osler-Weber-Rendu

OK I had to go hunting, but this disease has been cemented in my memory now. I'd never heard of it before.

It's Heyde Syndrome.

yep :thumbup: aortic stenosis + vWF deficiency/angiodysplasia/iron-deficiency anemia (iirc it's in gunnertraining, but the name isn't listed, just the symptom associations)

side question: what's a good short-term pharmacotherapy for this, since the bleeding is due to low vWF (straight out of FA/pathoma)?

yep :thumbup: aortic stenosis + vWF deficiency/angiodysplasia/iron-deficiency anemia (iirc it's in gunnertraining, but the name isn't listed, just the symptom associations)

side question: what's a good short-term pharmacotherapy for this, since the bleeding is due to low vWF (straight out of FA/pathoma)?

Desmopressin.

Desmopressin.

Since it's vWF what else could be used to treat this? Straight from UW (I'm pretty sure, at very least 1 of my 4 qbanks).

turcot syndrome?

so close :p there's another slightly different syndrome that is the right answer (same family of mutation though). Turcot's would have medulloblastoma or malignant glioma instead of the second picture

Crohn's: cobblestone + erythema nodosum

clever, but this is erythema nodosum (classically on legs)
mex2s4o.png

That's a good guess too, as is Gardner's

that's it! those are osteomas of the face/skull bones

clever, but this is erythema nodosum (classically on legs)
mex2s4o.png

It's amazing how much book knowledge I've obtained for studying for this test but when used in a practical setting I'm just as likely to diagnose Lyme disease for Endocarditis for SJS for Crohn's if someone doesn't tell me what I'm looking at in words. Good job USMLE

It's amazing how much book knowledge I've obtained for studying for this test but when used in a practical setting I'm just as likely to diagnose Lyme disease for Endocarditis for SJS for Crohn's if someone doesn't tell me what I'm looking at in words. Good job USMLE

lol...that's so true in my case too... but this thread has sure helped.

+100000. As someone who never went to lecture, one of the biggest gaps in my knowledge is images. The lectures at my school sucked and left out tons of important, Step 1-testable material...but at least they had lots of pictures. And when you're in third year, knowing what things look like is just as important as knowing lots of facts about it. I think this thread is really important!

27 y/o male just immigrated from Africa shows up with painless ulcerations on his penis that he first noticed 1 week ago. Patient was started on a course of Penicillin G but returned 10 days later when there has been no improvement of his condition.

One of the ulcers is swabbed and the slide below is what is seen in the lab.

F4.large.jpg

What is the arrow pointing to?
What is the disease?
What is the cause of the disease?
Why didn't Penicillin G cure the disease?

(sorry for the Giant picture, especially those of you on phones, but it's a good one and the smaller version lacked)

27 y/o male just immigrated from Africa shows up with painless ulcerations on his penis that he first noticed 1 week ago. Patient was started on a course of Penicillin G but returned 10 days later when there has been no improvement of his condition.

F4.large.jpg

What is the disease?

(sorry for the Giant picture, especially those of you on phones, but it's a good one and the smaller version lacked)
wow, I have absolutely no idea what that is... damn.

What is the disease?

This definitely sounds like Syphillis.. don't know what I'm looking at though; is what you are pointing at intracellular?

this person can't walk in a straight line... image below shows what was wrong with him.
- Disease name?
- Progronosis?

7-17bl.jpg